Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby johndhi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:58 pm

alabamabound wrote:Add me to the NoJR-1 held crew.


Me too. Plus, we have identical stats. You planning on sending additional info?

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 pm

mozhou7 wrote:But hope is still alive - they seem to be getting to the held pile before finishing up all the January applications.

I will withdraw everywhere this afternoon...this is it for me.


I've been following the thread.. FWIW I suspect the hold applicants are truly held, without any stigma that might have implied in the past. I assume there's still plenty of spaces left to be doled out and it seems that held people are not being treated differently than recent applicants. Just a theory, could be as valid as Flat-Earth :mrgreen:

User avatar
Havaianas
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Havaianas » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Maybe this is a basic question - but they send you an email telling you a time to be near your phone for a JR1/JR2 right? Or should I go over my application right now...

User avatar
violaboy
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby violaboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Havaianas wrote:Maybe this is a basic question - but they send you an email telling you a time to be near your phone for a JR1/JR2 right? Or should I go over my application right now...


Yes, for the JR1, and then they just call whenever for the JR2.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:46 pm

It will be interesting to see a held person get a JR1.

User avatar
Laina
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Laina » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:00 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:It will be interesting to see a held person get a JR1.


Me, me! Come on, JR!

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby fidesverita » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:10 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:It will be interesting to see a held person get a JR1.


+ 10000000000 *jumps up out of chair and waves arm like crazy*

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kulax22 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:37 am

Anyone suspect JR1s will be emailed this week? I'm starting to get pessimistic about this. :x I feel like if they liked my application I'd have one by now. I don't want to float around on a wait list (or even worse... receive the R- word) :|

4910
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby 4910 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:42 am

keep your ching up, they probably haven't gone around to looking at us yet, probably looking at the january applicants first

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby $1.99 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 am

at this point i will be happy if any held applicants get a jr1

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby crackberry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:40 pm

crackberry wrote:Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!


Did it begin with "Although I can't imagine a scenario where I would choose Harvard over Stanford..." ?

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:41 pm

crackberry wrote:Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!


to the effect of what? just curious.

i tried to play mine cool and not sound too desperate, but i think my true colors might have served me better. regret.

User avatar
dudester
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby dudester » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:42 pm

crackberry wrote:Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!


:?:

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby crackberry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Eh, I said something like "While I've been admitted to a number of other great schools...." Didn't mention any schools by name, though.

As if Harvard cares at all where else I've been admitted.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Core » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:39 pm

crackberry wrote:Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!

Same.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!

Same.


Eh, my LOCI was 2x too long. I don't think they'll even look at it.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby crackberry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!

Same.


Eh, my LOCI was 2x too long. I don't think they'll even look at it.

A two-page LOCI?

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:Included a pretty dumb line in my LOCI that I regretted immediately after handing the envelope to the guy at the post office. Woohoo!

Same.


Eh, my LOCI was 2x too long. I don't think they'll even look at it.

A two-page LOCI?


1.5. I had a pretty significant family-based reason why I worked a mediocre job most of first semester in CT, so I talked a bit about it. That + new job + new awards + generic "oh Harvard how I adore you" pushed me over a page.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby $1.99 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

i think we are sending locis just to make ourselves feel like we have done everything to increase our chances when in actuality, i doubt they would care

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby crackberry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 pm

$1.99 wrote:i think we are sending locis just to make ourselves feel like we have done everything to increase our chances when in actuality, i doubt they would care

Fair enough. Definitely possible.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm

fidesverita wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:It will be interesting to see a held person get a JR1.


+ 10000000000 *jumps up out of chair and waves arm like crazy*


Hey Fidesverita, I saw you took our advice and retook the LSAT.. good luck and hope you did well!

aad
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby aad » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:28 pm

I think the best case scenario for most of us on hold is to be placed on the top of the waitlist. Maybe a few lucky ones will get in before the waitlist but I think it is necessary to get mentally prepared for the long haul.

This is probably a marathon, not a sprint.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:35 pm

aad wrote:I think the best case scenario for most of us on hold is to be placed on the top of the waitlist. Maybe a few lucky ones will get in before the waitlist but I think it is necessary to get mentally prepared for the long haul.

This is probably a marathon, not a sprint.


I don't have any expectation of being admitted soon if at all; and I know most holds won't end up getting in either. Still, this comment strikes me as unsubstantiated. Its pretty clear judging numbers on lsn this year to last year that Harvard has accepted only around 60% of its total admit so far and assuming january applicants don't make up 30%+ of total admits (their numbers are much worse on average than earlier applicants), the hold pool should probably make over 10% of total admits (thats means probably like 90 admits). The hold pool isn't likely all that big. There are 60 or so on TLS and I'd be shocked if there were more than say 300 or 400 total. So its really possible that like 1/4 of holds get in. Not too bad if you ask me.

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby lz06 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:43 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
aad wrote:I think the best case scenario for most of us on hold is to be placed on the top of the waitlist. Maybe a few lucky ones will get in before the waitlist but I think it is necessary to get mentally prepared for the long haul.

This is probably a marathon, not a sprint.


I don't have any expectation of being admitted soon if at all; and I know most holds won't end up getting in either. Still, this comment strikes me as unsubstantiated. Its pretty clear judging numbers on lsn this year to last year that Harvard has accepted only around 60% of its total admit so far and assuming january applicants don't make up 30%+ of total admits (their numbers are much worse on average than earlier applicants), the hold pool should probably make over 10% of total admits (thats means probably like 90 admits). The hold pool isn't likely all that big. There are 60 or so on TLS and I'd be shocked if there were more than say 300 or 400 total. So its really possible that like 1/4 of holds get in. Not too bad if you ask me.


I agree. I feel pretty sure that a fair amount of TLS holds will end up being accepted. Now when is the question




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cd1945, ginawwhan, henryyou, potterotter, proteinshake, Why???, zeglo and 21 guests