4910 wrote: CordeliusX wrote:
4910 wrote:nobody knows as this is the first time JR has been handling admissions and handing out this many holds in a while
Do you think it's because he's still getting used to things and is "stalling"?
probably because of additional applicants this year and trying to show he is worth the hire by making a policy change. we are probably the people he will use to fudge around with harvard's numbers this year for the US news rankings and give away left over spots to, maybe i am pessimistic but i dont think they place much value on anything else
Anybody willing to venture a guess what percentage of total admits have gone out so far? I am. For reference last year a total of ~165 admits and WL/admits were on LSN. There are currently this year 103 admits. Not really many admissions for any people who have submitted after 12/20, however from looking at lsn the submissions with admit numbers are massively concentrated in september-december; very few january applicants have numbers that suggest likely admission. I think its fair to say that HLS probably has only given about 60 percent of its total 2009-2010 acceptances and that the remaining ~40% will not be made up exclusively of January applicants. I think that given the general weakness of the January pool its quite possible that the 'hold' pool could end up constituting something like 20% of the total admits. My guess is that Harvard held more applicants this year than usual and that in previous years many of the holds might have been admitted earlier in the cycle (for whatever reason). I'm guessing maybe 75-160 people are admitted from the hold pool.
We have around 65 holds on TLS (I bet thats not less than 1/4 of the total...) so lets say that there are maybe at most 350 holds. So if we say 300 holds and 90 hold-to-admit.... still pretty decent chances.
Just for reference: last year about 1/5 of total HLS admits posted on LSN. I'm willing to bet that a similar or higher percentage of holds have posted on TLS. A Harvard applicant receiving a hold email is, in my opinion, is especially likely to go on TLS (people getting that email are likely to be confused and want to look online for an explanation of their situation).