Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amputatedbrain

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Postby amputatedbrain » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Havaianas wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:i think people aren't going to be released from the JR1-but-no-JR2-then-held purgatory until after the due date for apps (that is feb 1, right?), so i wouldn't put too much stock into anything happening today

edit: yeah, who has been admitted among those who were held?

What about those who never had a JR1....
anyone else out there in the same boat?

Ya, I'm in the same situation . . . I doubt we'll see any movement for a while, not holding my breath for anything before mid-february. Assuming that most of the JR1 but no JR2 get first crack at open spots, and then no JR1's but held get to fight over the scraps.

Edit: I think the safest salutation for an LOCI is to the "admissions committee"
Last edited by amputatedbrain on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ubuntu818

Postby ubuntu818 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm

georgina wrote:
crackberry wrote:Thanks for the info V6.

On another note, how do we address LOCIs?

To Whom It May Concern?
Dear Mr. Rubenstein?
No salutation?

There are also the options of:
Dear Harvard Law School Admissions Committee
Dear Harvard Law School Admissions Officer

it's not just josh that reads them, i imagine, and i wouldn't want anyone to feel left out if my fate is in their hands

Just a thought - he signed the hold email so maybe it's best to address the LOCI to him?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:41 pm

I addressed my letter "Dear Dean Rubenstein and Admissions Office Staff:"

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Hey V6, you just bypassed LSAC entirely with your new LOR right? You asked the recommender, he/she gave you a sealed envelope (signed across the flap) with the letter inside, which you then enclosed with your LOCI and sent straight to HLS? No need to deal with that LSAC LOR form right?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:50 pm

crackberry wrote:Hey V6, you just bypassed LSAC entirely with your new LOR right? You asked the recommender, he/she gave you a sealed envelope (signed across the flap) with the letter inside, which you then enclosed with your LOCI and sent straight to HLS? No need to deal with that LSAC LOR form right?

Right.

crazyforhys

Postby crazyforhys » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Sorry if this question has already been addressed, but Could an LOCI be sent via fax or email? I just wanna find a faster way to send it than postal mail..

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:40 am

Just posted in the H thread... wanted to put it here too.

Held a week or two back. Applied in November. No JR1 yet. :? :?

So... what the hell does this imply? Do I have a shot? What are they doing with held applicants? When do we hear, judging from previous years? I don't want to wait, to be waitlisted, to finally hear in July or something crazy. I am finally realizing ... this sucks. :x
Last edited by Kulax22 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:40 am

crazyforhys wrote:Sorry if this question has already been addressed, but Could an LOCI be sent via fax or email? I just wanna find a faster way to send it than postal mail..

I think you MUST send it via mail and also sign it.

crazyforhys

Postby crazyforhys » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:20 am

Kulax22 wrote:
crazyforhys wrote:Sorry if this question has already been addressed, but Could an LOCI be sent via fax or email? I just wanna find a faster way to send it than postal mail..

I think you MUST send it via mail and also sign it.

Thanks for the reply, K22. I had my JR1 12/20, and was held several hours ago. I don't think i still have a shot.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Writing my LOCI as we speak. How long did people make theirs? One paragraph? Two?

I've got a rec letter from my boss I'm going to send as well. Hope to have this stuff in the mail by Friday or Monday at latest.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm

crackberry wrote:Writing my LOCI as we speak. How long did people make theirs? One paragraph? Two?

I've got a rec letter from my boss I'm going to send as well. Hope to have this stuff in the mail by Friday or Monday at latest.

I sent mine in last week and it was just under a page. I'm still waiting for my 2 additional LORs to be received/processed by LSAC.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:Writing my LOCI as we speak. How long did people make theirs? One paragraph? Two?

I sent mine in last week and it was just under a page. I'm still waiting for my 2 additional LORs to be received/processed by LSAC.

Single or double-spaced?

I know everything in LS admissions is supposed to be double-spaced, but if a LOCI functions as a formal letter, wouldn't it be single-spaced?

Core

Postby Core » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:

Single or double-spaced?

I know everything in LS admissions is supposed to be double-spaced, but if a LOCI functions as a formal letter, wouldn't it be single-spaced?

Mine was double-spaced. I went with the notion that because it's LS admissions material its need to be double-spaced overrides the convention that a formal letter should be single-spaced - but that's just me.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:30 pm

I single-spaced mine. It just seemed right as a letter, although I highly doubt it matters either way. They aren't robots--they'll understand the letter either way and I doubt they'd scoff at you one way or the other.

waitingitout

Postby waitingitout » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:09 pm

Has anyone from the hold group been admitted? I wonder if they would tell me one way or the other once I communicate that I have scholarship deadlines for other schools.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm

waitingitout wrote:Has anyone from the hold group been admitted? I wonder if they would tell me one way or the other once I communicate that I have scholarship deadlines for other schools.

No.

questions

Postby questions » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:43 pm

sadfasdasdf
Last edited by questions on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walfredo47

Postby Walfredo47 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 pm

crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:

Single or double-spaced?

I think since it is essentially a business letter, single-space, no indentations, with inside address and everything else is the way to go here. if you google business letter, you get a range of formats to choose. but I agree that the admissions office will read intent into the LOCI as much as anything. Still, "trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle!"

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:03 pm

Ok, guys and gals, I know we've gone over this information already, but....I called HLS to ask about sending additional LORs. The woman in the office said they prefer to have the letters go through LSAC. However, she said if you have reached the LOR limit it is alright to send them directly to the admissions office. In light of the conflicting information ITT, I think I'm going to have my recommender send my LOR directly to their office, even though I haven't reached the limit. It didn't seem like they are going to punish you for sending it directly to the office, and I can't wait for the whole LSAC thing to happen!

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Ok, guys and gals, I know we've gone over this information already, but....I called HLS to ask about sending additional LORs. The woman in the office said they prefer to have the letters go through LSAC. However, she said if you have reached the LOR limit it is alright to send them directly to the admissions office. In light of the conflicting information ITT, I think I'm going to have my recommender send my LOR directly to their office, even though I haven't reached the limit. It didn't seem like they are going to punish you for sending it directly to the office, and I can't wait for the whole LSAC thing to happen!

I just had my recommender send it both ways. Figured that would cover all bases.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Ok, guys and gals, I know we've gone over this information already, but....I called HLS to ask about sending additional LORs. The woman in the office said they prefer to have the letters go through LSAC. However, she said if you have reached the LOR limit it is alright to send them directly to the admissions office. In light of the conflicting information ITT, I think I'm going to have my recommender send my LOR directly to their office, even though I haven't reached the limit. It didn't seem like they are going to punish you for sending it directly to the office, and I can't wait for the whole LSAC thing to happen!

I'm with you on this. I'm having my recommender send me the letter with his signature across the seal of the envelope, then I'm going to enclose the LOR with my LOCI and send it off to Cambridge directly.

Is anyone doing that self-addressed, stamped postcard thing mentioned in the hold email? Because they won't confirm receipt over the phone for whatever reason.

natalie123

Postby natalie123 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm

my recommender lives overseas, in a very remote area. mail to and from the us takes anywhere from 3 weeks to a month... do you think it'd be OK for her to email it in pdf form to harvard? she can scan her signature... alternatively, i could print the pdf she emailed to me and mail it...

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

crackberry wrote:

I'm with you on this. I'm having my recommender send me the letter with his signature across the seal of the envelope, then I'm going to enclose the LOR with my LOCI and send it off to Cambridge directly.

Is anyone doing that self-addressed, stamped postcard thing mentioned in the hold email? Because they won't confirm receipt over the phone for whatever reason.

I did this. They mailed it back to me and I had it two days after originally mailing it.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:12 pm

natalie123 wrote:my recommender lives overseas, in a very remote area. mail to and from the us takes anywhere from 3 weeks to a month... do you think it'd be OK for her to email it in pdf form to harvard? she can scan her signature... alternatively, i could print the pdf she emailed to me and mail it...

Harvard will almost certainly not accept it. They are pretty strict about not accepting any official documents via email. They won't even take requests to change contact information via email, saying that they require everything by physical mail with a written signature.

natalie123

Postby natalie123 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:14 pm

hmmm. then i guess i'll have to print it here... thx

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”