Held By Harvard Club - 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CrimsonCal

Bronze

Re: Held By Harvard Club - 2010

Post by CrimsonCal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:00 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
amolson04 wrote:held 4/2. no jr1. still waiting. developing an ulcer.
you and CrimsonCal both are really unique candidates so I'm happy that people like you are still held-pending with me. It seems like the may be done with the big batch of waitlists and are giving a final review to some borderline but unique and attractive applicants. there are some relatively compelling elements of my application as well (I'd like to hope) but I'm borderline due to a sub25th gpa. Anyways, that's my 2359034092383284th HLS rationalization of the day. I know of a few other pending holds that really seem like they could have a reasonable shot and all have one or two unusual elements in their file. There are also a few remaining holds who don't seem to have particularly strong shots so who knows.
;-) I'll let you know when they shank me

wishfulnyc

New

Post by wishfulnyc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:01 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
you and CrimsonCal both are really unique candidates so I'm happy that people like you are still held-pending with me. It seems like the may be done with the big batch of waitlists and are giving a final review to some borderline but unique and attractive applicants. there are some relatively compelling elements of my application as well (I'd like to hope) but I'm borderline due to a sub25th gpa. Anyways, that's my 2359034092383284th HLS rationalization of the day. I know of a few other pending holds that really seem like they could have a reasonable shot and all have one or two unusual elements in their file. There are also a few remaining holds who don't seem to have particularly strong shots so who knows.
why special? because both HYP?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:04 pm

wishfulnyc wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
General Information:
PhD Neurobiology
Patent Agent in Biotech

CrimsonCal

Bronze

Post by CrimsonCal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:05 pm

wishfulnyc wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
bc my mom said I was....

in reality... I don't think my soft factors are that stupendous... maybe if I was a Rhodes Scholar or was on MTV's Jersey Shore

amolson04

New

Post by amolson04 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:09 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:
wishfulnyc wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
bc my mom said I was....

in reality... I don't think my soft factors are that stupendous... maybe if I was a Rhodes Scholar or was on MTV's Jersey Shore
I actually was on jersey shore, that's the linchpin of my application :wink: No, actually, I have some interesting/unique work experience and (I think) a pretty interesting life story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wishfulnyc

New

Post by wishfulnyc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm

well, glad to be in good company : )

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:12 pm

wishfulnyc wrote:well, glad to be in good company : )
what about you, reason to hope?

mh7777

New

Post by mh7777 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:17 pm

I actually was on jersey shore, that's the linchpin of my application :wink: No, actually, I have some interesting/unique work experience and (I think) a pretty interesting life story.[/quote]

Interesting. My numbers are low, but I've been out of school for a few years and done some cool things (at least I think so). Hm.

amolson04

New

Post by amolson04 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:23 pm

mh7777 wrote:
I actually was on jersey shore, that's the linchpin of my application :wink: No, actually, I have some interesting/unique work experience and (I think) a pretty interesting life story.
Interesting. My numbers are low, but I've been out of school for a few years and done some cool things (at least I think so). Hm.
So maybe they are just waiting to admit a bunch of "interesting/cool/older than 22" people like us! :P

edited for quotes :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wishfulnyc

New

Post by wishfulnyc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:28 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
wishfulnyc wrote:well, glad to be in good company : )
what about you, reason to hope?
would put myself in the same camp as everyone else as having the slighter older, interesting life / work experience bent

CrimsonCal

Bronze

Post by CrimsonCal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:30 pm

amolson04 wrote:
mh7777 wrote:
So maybe they are just waiting to admit a bunch of "interesting/cool/older than 22" people like us! :P

the remaining few of us are the shit! (or just a statistical variance)

I wonder if HLS ever does deferred acceptances... make you take a year off to do whatever so they can accept you off the books the next year

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Held 3/23, no JR1, no WL. URM, 5yrs WE (Ibanking), HYP.

I think that about covers it for acronyms/admissions jargon.

wishfulnyc

New

Post by wishfulnyc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:33 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:
amolson04 wrote:
mh7777 wrote:

I wonder if HLS ever does deferred acceptances... make you take a year off to do whatever so they can accept you off the books the next year
The HLS z-list?

Is it sad that I've thought about that?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:38 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:
amolson04 wrote:
mh7777 wrote:

I know one person who was asked to start yale later (either in january or the next year, don't remember).

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm friends with two kids who were admitted off the z-list. We're talking serious legacies--like, more than 3 generations of Harvard graduates in the family.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:06 pm

nvm
Last edited by somewhatwayward on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

examplepdf

New

Post by examplepdf » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 pm

Held 4/2; no JR1; 2.5 yrs of neat, though not extraordinary, WE. Mostly political stuff. With my GPA I'm not expecting any good news-- 175/3.58. Am happily planning on CLS this fall, but of course would die of happiness if I slipped into H somehow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

odiero

New

Post by odiero » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:22 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:There are also a few remaining holds who don't seem to have particularly strong shots so who knows.
I'm one of these.

Interesting life story, interesting work experience, interesting... interests; but low numbers. LSAT below median, GPA below 25th percentile. I have an excellent graduate GPA, but I don't know how much that counts.

Any thoughts on that last piece? Seems like a number of you have done graduate work...

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:28 pm

odiero wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:There are also a few remaining holds who don't seem to have particularly strong shots so who knows.
I'm one of these.

Interesting life story, interesting work experience, interesting... interests; but low numbers. LSAT below median, GPA below 25th percentile. I have an excellent graduate GPA, but I don't know how much that counts.

Any thoughts on that last piece? Seems like a number of you have done graduate work...
in depends what type of program but I can't see a 4.0 in a good grad program being ignored.

AdmiralNelson

New

Post by AdmiralNelson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Held/pending as of 4/2 - No JR1.

Borderline LSAT & unusual background.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:34 pm

so far I count like 11 pending-holds and all with pretty unique backgrounds and decent but borderline numbers. so we missed the big WL wave I guess for some final review or something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:36 pm

171/3.9 PBK HYP, varsity athlete, one unique soft

oh, and i'm a JR1-hold

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

So... it looks like the remaining holds on TLS are a ragtag bunch of below-median but interesting and diverse-storied folk. With no JR1s.

JR probably wants to see those medians shored up before giving us our shot at a golden ticket.

Edit: except you, hayward.

AdmiralNelson

New

Post by AdmiralNelson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm

somewhatwayward wrote: PBK
Qu'est-ce que c'est?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm

AdmiralNelson wrote: