Underrated programs Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Katerina

Bronze

Re: Underrated programs

Post by Katerina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Katerina wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Underrated: George Washington, UNC, Oregon, and Nebraska
Overrated: Boston, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, Cincinnati, Pepperdine, Georgia St., UNLV, San Francisco, and Ohio Northern.
BC or BU?
BU
+1

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Overrated: Boston, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, Cincinnati, Pepperdine, Georgia St., UNLV, San Francisco, and Ohio Northern.
Why Georgia State?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:00 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
Why Georgia State?
They probably should be in the 85-95 range instead of where they are. It doesn't help that they're in Georgia with two significantly better schools in the area.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:41 pm

I would disagree with Cincy... ability to pay in-state tuition immediately coupled with a domination of the local market bodes well. People in Cincinnati don't care about tOSU like the rest of the state does.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Why is Oregon overrated?

I love the Pacific Northwest, but I would be greatly worried about my prospects of returning to Texas if I went to U of O ... unless someone has concrete evidence to the contrary.

Also curious to know why Alabama is overrated ... nature of the surrounding legal market (or lack thereof)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:48 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Why is Oregon overrated?
RC fail.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:52 pm

underrated: fordham, rutgers-newark, american, uc-davis, uc-hastings
overrated: indiana, illinois, notre dame, usc

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 pm

George Mason is underrated.... even Ken of TLS would agree with this. Read the quips on this site. Fantastic DC school.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:57 pm

fonzerelli wrote:George Mason is underrated.... even Ken of TLS would agree with this. Read the quips on this site. Fantastic DC school.

good point! the funny thing is the GM is actually in N. Virginia but is closer to DC than American. go figure! either way, i honestly believe both American and GM are underrated by USNWR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jonas586

New

Post by jonas586 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:58 pm

oberlin08 wrote:COOLEY.

lol..
I highly doubt anyone actually did this while reading your post; and regarding the thread: BYU

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:58 pm

stuffnuff wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Why is Oregon overrated?
RC fail.
Touche.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 pm

jonas586 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:COOLEY.

lol..
I highly doubt anyone actually did this while reading your post; and regarding the thread: BYU

are there any other law schools in Utah? LOL

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Why UNLV?

They have several strong programs (their lawyering process program in particular) and have NV on lock down. Very highly regarded locally (equal to UCLA, or so the lawyers I know say) and place decently regionally, though not so well into CA BigLaw unless you're really friggin good (top 5%).

I don't know that they're underrated (maybe they deserve a 60's spot, but their UG is going to shit around them) but I don't think they're overrated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
Why UNLV?

They have several strong programs (their lawyering process program in particular) and have NV on lock down. Very highly regarded locally (equal to UCLA, or so the lawyers I know say) and place decently regionally, though not so well into CA BigLaw unless you're really friggin good (top 5%).

I don't know that they're underrated (maybe they deserve a 60's spot, but their UG is going to shit around them) but I don't think they're overrated.

do you mean UNLV UG is doing quite horribly?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:06 pm

I think UT is incredibly underrated for people who live in Texas. This place puts a lot of pressure on T14 (or even T13) but UT is a great school and it's a hell of a bargain with ~$25k in-state tuition.

The main reason I didn't go there is they rejected me. :?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Dignan wrote:Underrated: GW, Hastings, U of Maryland
Hastings was something like 30 or 32 in Helmholtz rankings (removed the unpublished 'secret' criteria that USNWR uses in its formula). Both Davis and Hastings offer better job prospects than most of the schools ranked around them.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I think UT is incredibly underrated for people who live in Texas. This place puts a lot of pressure on T14 (or even T13) but UT is a great school and it's a hell of a bargain with ~$25k in-state tuition.

The main reason I didn't go there is they rejected me. :?
Austin, TX is my favorite city in America. There isn't a close second. I feel your pain, UT Law is excellent ... and the campus overall is remarkable. Just wonderful atmosphere and QOL in Austin.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:30 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:do you mean UNLV UG is doing quite horribly?
UNLV UG has always been TTT (FTT?), but it's now doing much worse.

Nevada has been one of the states hardest hit by the recession, and even in good times we never had the tax base to support a seriously competitive undergrad college, much less two. Most of the tax money that comes into Las Vegas gets funneled to Reno and UNR as it is. Beyond that, Las Vegas in general is a commuter town (people move in and out frequently) and the student population reflects that. It's hard to marshal community support when much of the community plans to move in five years. With times so bad, tuition has gone up, (including the law school, which doubled tuition last year, though it's still much cheaper than most) instructors have been fired, classes have been cut, minors (and some majors) have been dissolved, and the school President has been canned. There's a lot of talk about UNLV being unable to support itself (or the state being able to support it) if things keep going so badly for another year or two.

The law school, however, is a different beast entirely. Much like the UC law schools, Boyd receives a lot of private funding and has a solid alumni base to draw upon. Las Vegas, as a legal market, is (or was) growing, and predictably the students who've graduated from Boyd have remained close by. The firms in Las Vegas really support the school, and aside from tuition hikes there's little to suggest that the law school is going anywhere. Boyd has performed strongly it's first few years out of the gate, and has a number of well respected faculty members and a former dean who knew how to market, network, and fund raise. IMO, it deserves the spot that it has, and is making strides toward becoming a strong regional presence and accordingly marching up the rankings.

If, that is, the UG doesn't crumble around it. I don't know of many good law schools that aren't attached to an UG institution. Boyd might be the first to succeed, but I wouldn't bet on it, even in this town.

I should finish by saying that, while UNLV UG has its problems, I've personally not been disappointed with the education I've received. I'll never know what the UG experience is like at a Michigan, Duke, or Yale, but it seems to me I've received a fine education and had several extremely talented, challenging, and respected professors. None of them wrote the book on anything that was taught, and to my knowledge none of my professors have been national names, but they've been solid performers and taught well for the most part. True, the school spirit is a little lacking (at least outside of basketball season), but given the difference in tuition between UNLV and many other schools, school spirit was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Really believe bottom T-14 = rest of T-18. Not sure Gtown or Cornell is any different than UCLA, Texas, Vandy or USC.

Also - Illinois seems higher than Indiana even though they are ranked the same and Notre Dame seems equal to around WUSTL and Emory. Maybe better.

Indiana is massively over-ranked. Minnesota and Iowa are also slightly over ranked for their placement.
The shitty thing about placement is that you have to look at where grads WANT to work as well as where they are placed. For example, many Iowans may want to stay in state after they graduate, so they choose smaller firms to stay in state instead of going to a big city firm. Or they may not want to work on the east coast so they don't apply there, thus they have a shitty east coast placement rate. Most graduates who want to work somewhere in particular find a way to work there (if they are in the T50). This goes for most state schools.

Emory= overrated imho

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Using numerical rankings is dumb except maybe at the very top end of the rankings. There are more good schools than great schools, more mediocre schools than good schools, etc.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 pm

The funny thing about the whole job prospects thing is that most of these charts that are available document employment in NLJ250 firms. People seem to overlook the fact that V250 firms are not the only market paying firm jobs around, or that 120k in a medium sized market probably stretches further than 160k in NYC.

whoops..someone already caught the edit I see
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:01 am

hombredulce wrote:The funny thing about the whole job prospects thing is that most of these charts that are available document employment in V250 firms. People seem to overlook the fact that V250 firms are not the only market paying firm jobs around, or that 120k in a medium sized market probably stretches further than 160k in NYC.
it's nlj250.
i love that 160k living in hoboken,nj is the equivalent of 80k in houston, after taxes and cost of living adjustments. if one was making 160k and living in manhattan it would be equivalent to 55k in houston. of course the downside is that it's houston but whatevs.

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:49 am

Notor wrote:
I would disagree with Cincy... ability to pay in-state tuition immediately coupled with a domination of the local market bodes well. People in Cincinnati don't care about tOSU like the rest of the state does.
+1

As an Ohio resident, it was hard for me not to apply to Cincy.

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 am

WI is very well regarded and hangs with IL, IN and MN, but is significantly lower in the rankings than the other Midwest state schools.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 am

xanderdellus wrote:WI is very well regarded and hangs with IL, IN and MN, but is significantly lower in the rankings than the other Midwest state schools.
The thing about the midwest state schools is that they are extremely local. I'm shocked how shitty WI, IN, IA, and MN place in Illinois. In the good times Illinois had good access to a major market, Chicago, but in this economy it might be better to stick to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, or where ever the hell IN and IA grads work.

I think MN and IN, are over ranked.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”