The "I've Only Been Accepted by my Safeties" Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
billyez

The "I've Only Been Accepted by my Safeties" Thread

Postby billyez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:24 am

I got a call today while in class. It was an unknown phone number that seemed to be from out-of-state. When we had a break I listened to the voicemail, it was a full tuition scholarship offer from Michigan State University. If I lived in the North, it would be a solid deal from a regional school especially since I'm going to be a Public Defender. Since I live in Texas, it's ranking is too low to outweigh the move...and the cold, the horrible, horrible, cold.

OCU let me in with a scholly as well. But everybody else waited for my December LSAT score or deferred/rejected me. *sigh* I've got seventeen schools that haven't responded.

Thirteen

Re: The "I've Only Been Accepted by my Safeties" Thread

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:34 am

billyez wrote:I got a call today while in class. It was an unknown phone number that seemed to be from out-of-state. When we had a break I listened to the voicemail, it was a full tuition scholarship offer from Michigan State University. If I lived in the North, it would be a solid deal from a regional school especially since I'm going to be a Public Defender. Since I live in Texas, it's ranking is too low to outweigh the move...and the cold, the horrible, horrible, cold.

OCU let me in with a scholly as well. But everybody else waited for my December LSAT score or deferred/rejected me. *sigh* I've got seventeen schools that haven't responded.

Congrats! Don't worry about the schools that have not responded, it's still early. I'm sure you'll hear good news and receive a few pleasant surprises over the next few weeks/months.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:46 am

Thanks! :P I hope that's the case!

hhg

Postby hhg » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 am

same here... 4 acceptances, all safeties. i was so worried that for whatever reason i might not get into somewhere that i think i over-applied to safeties. and you'd think i'd be excited to get lots of acceptances, and i guess i kind of am, but not really... the acceptances just remind me that i haven't gotten in to any schools that really make my heart beat fast and that i'd be truly excited to attend.

bmcinto

Postby bmcinto » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:56 am

i am right here with you all, i have only been accepted to my safeties and still waiting to hear from 7 other schools.

i hope like thirteen said above that we will get some pleasant surprises in the months to come.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 am

Me too! Only accepted at my safeties, but I'm waitlisted everywhere else. Ugggh. waitlists.... :(

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 am

billyez wrote:I got a call today while in class. It was an unknown phone number that seemed to be from out-of-state. When we had a break I listened to the voicemail, it was a full tuition scholarship offer from Michigan State University. If I lived in the North, it would be a solid deal from a regional school especially since I'm going to be a Public Defender. Since I live in Texas, it's ranking is too low to outweigh the move...and the cold, the horrible, horrible, cold.

If you're unwilling to go to the school even with a full tuition scholarship, why did you apply?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 am

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:

If you're unwilling to go to the school even with a full tuition scholarship, why did you apply?

+1

But you couldn't pay me enough to be a public defender in Detroit.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:

+1

Negotiate aid maybe?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:30 am

robin600 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:

+1

Negotiate aid maybe?

Good point, I applied to several schools for negotiation purposes.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:36 am

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:

Most people wouldn't go to their super safety school even if they got a full ride...it's just that, a backup in case you don't get in anywhere else...

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Call me crazy - but I am just as excited about full rides at my safeties as I am about admits at Duke and GULC. One - I think it bodes good things Two - It could potentially save me $120,000. (And no I'm not interested in BigLaw)

initech

Postby initech » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Last edited by initech on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Accepted in Duke, sent to FR is Berkley, still waiting for 8 others but not expecting good news. :(

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:10 pm

My kind of threat! I've been admitted to five schools so far, and I wouldn't really call them safeties, just the middle of my range. The one horribly ironic thing, though, is that I made it very very clear in my apps that I was almost exclusively interested in a career in public interest environmental law and only one of the schools to accept me so far (BC) has a real environmental law focus (more than one or two courses). Oi.

ddav87

Postby ddav87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 pm

I'm in this boat but with how much money that has been offered and the location of some of my safeties one may very well be the school i end up attending. Unless by some miracle one of my reaches accepted me or a target gave me more aid than i anticipated.

threeonefour

Postby threeonefour » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:02 pm

hhg wrote:same here... 4 acceptances, all safeties. i was so worried that for whatever reason i might not get into somewhere that i think i over-applied to safeties. and you'd think i'd be excited to get lots of acceptances, and i guess i kind of am, but not really... the acceptances just remind me that i haven't gotten in to any schools that really make my heart beat fast and that i'd be truly excited to attend.

I'm in the same boat. I could not agree more.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 pm

It should be noted that I didn't apply to Michigan State. They've mailed me material before and this phone call was just trying to once again snag me in by offering me a full tuition. My parents are saying that I shouldn't just shrug at it and I should try to get the money. But I have safety schools here in Texas - it just doens't make snese for me to go all the way to Michigan to attend a safety. OCU is as far as I'd be willing to go for a safety that gives me money.

I don't know...it's a tough decision. It's just so many schools haven't contacted me yet...I might apply to Michigan yet..

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:12 pm

ddav87 wrote:I'm in this boat but with how much money that has been offered and the location of some of my safeties one may very well be the school i end up attending. Unless by some miracle one of my reaches accepted me or a target gave me more aid than i anticipated.

I'm in the same position...

ddav87

Postby ddav87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 pm

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:30 pm

I got that call from Michigan State too. I thought, for some reason, it was University of Michigan (which I had applied to) and I got super excited when she said full scholarship...then I realized she said Michigan State, and got off my high. :(

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Invisible high-five back!

I've heard from three, waiting on 8 sigh. Haven't heard a peep from my top 5, my status checker dates haven't even budged.

I love that this thread has been created for all of us- impatient and turning pessimistic, but don't feel completely justified in being pessimistic because we've gotten in with money- people.

Sigh. I've already booked 6 weeks of travel next summer. January and February are going to be the LONGEST MONTHS OF MY LIFE!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm

BruinsFan wrote:Invisible high-five back!

I've heard from three, waiting on 8 sigh. Haven't heard a peep from my top 5, my status checker dates haven't even budged.

I love that this thread has been created for all of us- impatient and turning pessimistic, but don't feel completely justified in being pessimistic because we've gotten in with money- people.

Sigh. I've already booked 6 weeks of travel next summer. January and February are going to be the LONGEST MONTHS OF MY LIFE!

I have yet to get money at my safeties, which if I don't will royally piss me off, but they said they don't give out aid till March (except Iowa, goddamn iowa come through for me of I will go apeshit!)

initech

Postby initech » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Bump...simply because I'm in the same situation I was the last time I posted on here.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:33 pm

yup - this thread has my name written all over it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”