GULC Limbo (The Official "Held At Georgetown" Thread)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Katerina

Re: GULC Limbo (The Official "Held At Georgetown" Thread)

Postby Katerina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 pm

slb052 wrote:
Katerina wrote:That's awesome- I'm so glad that they accepted it and let you know that they received it (unlike some schools who keep you in the dark for months ::cough BU cough::) I think a LOCI is probably a good move at this point (wish I had thought to do one earlier, oh well). Keep us updated on your progress!

First of all, very excited for you! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I sent in a LOCI on Dec. 30 via overnight mail (so I have delivery confirmation), but never heard back from them about it so now I'm a little concerned that they never got it. Should I be worried??? Email them?

Thanks!

I would call them on Thursday (the 2 week mark) and just say that you want to make sure that the letter made its way into your file.

CoutureChiq

Postby CoutureChiq » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Held today as well.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Katerina wrote:That's awesome- I'm so glad that they accepted it and let you know that they received it (unlike some schools who keep you in the dark for months ::cough BU cough::) I think a LOCI is probably a good move at this point (wish I had thought to do one earlier, oh well). Keep us updated on your progress!

Yeah, they seemed pretty nice about it. I would say that those of us who are on hold should probably consider sending a letter, reminding them that you're still here and interested, simply since it's been awhile.

Good luck on your decision! I'm still UR 12/11 w/o any movement since the original hold.

slb052

Postby slb052 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:24 am

Katerina wrote:
slb052 wrote:

First of all, very excited for you! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I sent in a LOCI on Dec. 30 via overnight mail (so I have delivery confirmation), but never heard back from them about it so now I'm a little concerned that they never got it. Should I be worried??? Email them?

Thanks!

I would call them on Thursday (the 2 week mark) and just say that you want to make sure that the letter made its way into your file.

Thanks, I think I will. Hope you get your decision soon, and (of course) that it's a good one!!!

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 am

Ok I'm guessing that a "hold" is the same as a deferral? I applied ED and received a deferral email today. They said they will send me a decision by late February. They even put the exact date in the email. I think I had borderline numbers. What exactly are the implications of a deferral? Any thoughts?

What exactly can I do now to change a deferral into an acceptance? LOCI? Email or mail? Does it matter? I don't plan to send in an extra LOR, so I guess just sending them a sweet and short letter would show my continued interest?

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:07 am

PunjabiLower wrote:Ok I'm guessing that a "hold" is the same as a deferral? I applied ED and received a deferral email today. They said they will send me a decision by late February. They even put the exact date in the email. I think I had borderline numbers. What exactly are the implications of a deferral? Any thoughts?

What exactly can I do now to change a deferral into an acceptance? LOCI? Email or mail? Does it matter? I don't plan to send in an extra LOR, so I guess just sending them a sweet and short letter would show my continued interest?

Yes, "hold" is the same as a deferral. All this means is that they like you enough not to WL you (yet) and want to get a more complete picture of their class before they make a decision on you. I would definitely send in a LOCI (I would send it overnight mail- I think a proper letter is better than an email but maybe I'm just old fashioned). Good luck and welcome to the limbo!

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Katerina wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:Ok I'm guessing that a "hold" is the same as a deferral? I applied ED and received a deferral email today. They said they will send me a decision by late February. They even put the exact date in the email. I think I had borderline numbers. What exactly are the implications of a deferral? Any thoughts?

Yes, "hold" is the same as a deferral. All this means is that they like you enough not to WL you (yet) and want to get a more complete picture of their class before they make a decision on you. I would definitely send in a LOCI (I would send it overnight mail- I think a proper letter is better than an email but maybe I'm just old fashioned). Good luck and welcome to the limbo!

GAHHHH I don't know what to say in this LOCI! There's either too much to say or too little, depending on how I form the letter. I am also stuck on whether to mail it or email it. Any resources on TLS about LOCI?

It just seems so obvious that I would say: Georgetown is my number 1 choice and I am still interested!

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Bumping...anyone else cowering in a corner after all the WL action today?

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:47 pm

mayosmith wrote:Bumping...anyone else cowering in a corner after all the WL action today?

I am living in fear of my blackberry.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:49 am

Has anyone who was held in early December heard anything yet? Just wondering...

vmmf

Postby vmmf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:45 am

ccs224 wrote:Has anyone who was held in early December heard anything yet? Just wondering...

No. My UR date hasn't changed since 12/2. This is frustrating. I wonder if we will actually hear by Feb. 26

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:59 am

vmmf wrote:
ccs224 wrote:Has anyone who was held in early December heard anything yet? Just wondering...

No. My UR date hasn't changed since 12/2. This is frustrating. I wonder if we will actually hear by Feb. 26

Yeah, I'm stuck at 12/11. I hope they hold to their promise of a decision in January, and that there decision is to accept me.

vmmf

Postby vmmf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 am

wait, they promised you a decision in January? My letter said I will be reviewed again in January and that I will get a decision by Feb 26. Just wondering if there are different versions of the letter.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:20 am

vmmf wrote:

+1

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 am

vmmf wrote:wait, they promised you a decision in January? My letter said I will be reviewed again in January and that I will get a decision by Feb 26. Just wondering if there are different versions of the letter.

I'm pretty sure mine said, "Chances are, we will offer you admission by January 23rd." But no - you're right. I think they said our applications will be reviewed once more in January and we will have heard back no later than 3/26.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:09 am

CyLaw wrote:
vmmf wrote:

+1

+2

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 am

ccs224 wrote:I'm pretty sure mine said, "Chances are, we will offer you admission by January 23rd." But no - you're right. I think they said our applications will be reviewed once more in January and we will have heard back no later than 3/26.

Whoa. That would have been amazing.

vmmf

Postby vmmf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:13 pm

I was browsing through last year's GULC thread, and last year deferred people were told they would hear by Feb. 16. They ended up hearing about a week later, so my guess is we will hear in the beginning of March.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 pm

vmmf wrote:I was browsing through last year's GULC thread, and last year deferred people were told they would hear by Feb. 16. They ended up hearing about a week later, so my guess is we will hear in the beginning of March.

Well, it is mailed by Feb 26, not actually hear by then, so that would make sense.

vmmf

Postby vmmf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:37 pm

CyLaw wrote:
vmmf wrote:I was browsing through last year's GULC thread, and last year deferred people were told they would hear by Feb. 16. They ended up hearing about a week later, so my guess is we will hear in the beginning of March.

Well, it is mailed by Feb 26, not actually hear by then, so that would make sense.

makes sense

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi-nice to see all of you here in (yet another) admissions limbo.

I applied for the PILS program back in early November, around the same time that I sent in my application. I got the same letter that the rest of you did.

**runs off to refresh her status checker**

edit: Now it says UR 1/19. Has anyone else been updated recently?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 pm

monkeygirl wrote:edit: Now it says UR 1/19. Has anyone else been updated recently?

Negative.

vmmf

Postby vmmf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:45 pm

CyLaw wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:edit: Now it says UR 1/19. Has anyone else been updated recently?

Negative.

+1

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 pm

vmmf wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Negative.

+1

Hmm....I guess I'll just have to wait and see :? . I will keep you posted.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:49 pm

I updated to 1/19 as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”