GULC Limbo (The Official "Held At Georgetown" Thread)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Katerina

GULC Limbo (The Official "Held At Georgetown" Thread)

Postby Katerina » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm

If you were one of the unfortunate EA kids who received the "We're sorry but we've decided not to do anything with you until February" email putting you (and your life) on hold- this thread is for you.

Our final decision deadline is coming up in a few weeks so I thought I'd create a thread specifically for us to obsess in and agonize over questions such as: what exactly does being held mean for us; is there a pattern with our numbers; is this limbo actually better than the strange three-tiered waitlist [super-secret preferred, preferred, regular]; is this where super-splitters come to die; etc.

Let the wild rumpus start!

Lurkster

Re: GULC Limbo (The Official "Held At Georgetown" Thread)

Postby Lurkster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:30 pm

In. Applied mid november, interview late december, held just after the new year.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Katerina wrote:Our final decision deadline is coming up in a few weeks so I thought I'd create a thread specifically for us to obsess in and agonize over questions such as: what exactly does being held mean for us; is there a pattern with our numbers; is this limbo actually better than the strange three-tiered waitlist [super-secret preferred, preferred, regular]; is this where super-splitters come to die; etc.

I'm in. I'm especially interested in this question...

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Also: Any held folks applying for the PILS program, despite the school's ambivalent attitude about you?

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:00 pm

mayosmith wrote:
Katerina wrote:Our final decision deadline is coming up in a few weeks so I thought I'd create a thread specifically for us to obsess in and agonize over questions such as: what exactly does being held mean for us; is there a pattern with our numbers; is this limbo actually better than the strange three-tiered waitlist [super-secret preferred, preferred, regular]; is this where super-splitters come to die; etc.

There was some debate over this in the regular Georgetown thread. This may just be because I'm in the "held" group but I think that we've got to be in a better position right now than the WListers- GULC could have thrown us on the WL but they didn't which means either 1) they didn't get to finish reviewing us before their notification deadline (in which case we are neutral with the WListers) or 2) they are unsure whether they want to accept us or WL us (I don't think a rejection is in the cards). Thoughts?

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Glad someone made this! I didn't apply EA, but was deferred in early December.

I just sent GULC a LOCI this morning; hopefully that will help a bit.

I'm also wondering about the PILS program - anyone know what the deadline for that is (my very cursory review of the website didn't find it) and if/how the decision is made separate from regular admissions?

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Katerina wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

There was some debate over this in the regular Georgetown thread. This may just be because I'm in the "held" group but I think that we've got to be in a better position right now than the WListers- GULC could have thrown us on the WL but they didn't which means either 1) they didn't get to finish reviewing us before their notification deadline (in which case we are neutral with the WListers) or 2) they are unsure whether they want to accept us or WL us (I don't think a rejection is in the cards). Thoughts?

The realist AND the optimist in me say it's #1. In my case, my interview came around the holidays, and I was held not long after; this apparently happened to other folks who were told by their interviewer that they'd be recommended for admission. Of course, we know next to nothing about the importance of the interview process (right?), so I could be entirely wrong and all the interviews have already been considered. But there's an awful lot of yellow on that LSN chart, so I'm going to stay pleased I'm not in that basket for the time being.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:44 pm

ccs224 wrote:I'm also wondering about the PILS program - anyone know what the deadline for that is (my very cursory review of the website didn't find it) and if/how the decision is made separate from regular admissions?

From http://www.law.georgetown.edu/clinics/pils/:
Candidates must apply by February 1 of the calendar year in which they hope to begin their studies at the Law Center. Earlier application is recommended, because only candidates who have been accepted for admission to the Law Center by the time the selection committee meets can considered for selection as Scholars.

So...not sure what that means for Held folks.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Quote:
Candidates must apply by February 1 of the calendar year in which they hope to begin their studies at the Law Center. Earlier application is recommended, because only candidates who have been accepted for admission to the Law Center by the time the selection committee meets can considered for selection as Scholars.

Thanks! Any one on hold considering applying? I guess I might as well, as the app doesn't seem to different from other scholarship apps and probably wouldn't hurt my chances...

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:49 pm

ccs224 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks! Any one on hold considering applying? I guess I might as well, as the app doesn't seem to different from other scholarship apps and probably wouldn't hurt my chances...

And then I read this: "Earlier application is recommended, because only candidates who have been accepted for admission to the Law Center by the time the selection committee meets can considered for selection as Scholars." Certainly keeps things in limbo.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

mayosmith wrote:
Katerina wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

The realist AND the optimist in me say it's #1.

Well at least now we know that at the very least #1 isn't true for everyone on hold (since ccs said he wasn't an EA applicant).

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Katerina wrote:Well at least now we know that at the very least #1 isn't true for everyone on hold (since ccs said he wasn't an EA applicant).

Yep, I wasn't EA either, but the verbiage in the hold email made it seem like I was.

slb052

Postby slb052 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 am

This is me. I was ED, applied 11/4, complete shortly thereafter. And since then have experienced the longest wait of my life. I'm going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed if I'm WLed after this hold. (Those aren't even enough Os to express all the disappointment.)

So, how many of us are there really? The email makes it sound like there are pretty few people who are held, and that "many" are then admitted... but what does that actually mean? I've had a hard time tracking down "held" people on LSN.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:19 am

slb052 wrote:So, how many of us are there really? The email makes it sound like there are pretty few people who are held, and that "many" are then admitted... but what does that actually mean? I've had a hard time tracking down "held" people on LSN.

I'm curious about this too. I took their email with a grain of salt.

Would it be weird to write a LOCI at this point? I know that LOCIs are expected from WListers but is the same true for The Held (what I've now deemed us)? Are we putting ourselves at a disadvantage by not adding to our files? Would they even accept new material at this point?

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 am

Guess it doesn't matter since I've been updated to "Decision Rendered: 1/11" :shock:

This is me - freaking out.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:32 am

slb052 wrote:So, how many of us are there really? The email makes it sound like there are pretty few people who are held, and that "many" are then admitted... but what does that actually mean? I've had a hard time tracking down "held" people on LSN.

Not "many" of us, my friend, but "a number," as in:
Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Or did you get a different email than I did? "A number" could be zero, one, two...

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 am

Katerina wrote:Guess it doesn't matter since I've been updated to "Decision Rendered: 1/11" :shock:

Good luck!

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:38 am

mayosmith wrote:
Katerina wrote:Guess it doesn't matter since I've been updated to "Decision Rendered: 1/11" :shock:

Good luck!

Thanks, Mayo!

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 am

Ahh!! Good luck!! That was quick -- hopefully that is VERY good news :D

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:34 am

Katerina wrote:
Would it be weird to write a LOCI at this point? I know that LOCIs are expected from WListers but is the same true for The Held (what I've now deemed us)? Are we putting ourselves at a disadvantage by not adding to our files? Would they even accept new material at this point?

It doesn't really matter for you at this point, but I submitted a LOCI yesterday and got a fairly pleasant (or at least I'm choosing to read it as such) responce from the admissions office this morning.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:37 am

ccs224 wrote:It doesn't really matter for you at this point, but I submitted a LOCI yesterday and got a fairly pleasant (or at least I'm choosing to read it as such) responce from the admissions office this morning.

What did they say, if you wouldn't mind vaguely summarizing? Did you mail or email?

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 am

mayosmith wrote:
ccs224 wrote:It doesn't really matter for you at this point, but I submitted a LOCI yesterday and got a fairly pleasant (or at least I'm choosing to read it as such) responce from the admissions office this morning.

What did they say, if you wouldn't mind vaguely summarizing? Did you mail or email?

Ha, it was really nothing:
Dear Awesomedude,

Thank you for your e-mail.
The attached letter of continued interest has been added to your file.  Please feel free to contact our office with any questions.

Sent via email.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:47 am

That's awesome- I'm so glad that they accepted it and let you know that they received it (unlike some schools who keep you in the dark for months ::cough BU cough::) I think a LOCI is probably a good move at this point (wish I had thought to do one earlier, oh well). Keep us updated on your progress!

slb052

Postby slb052 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:52 am

mayosmith wrote:

Not "many" of us, my friend, but "a number," as in:
Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have had their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted.

Or did you get a different email than I did? "A number" could be zero, one, two...

no no, I went back and looked. you're right. wishful thinking/selective memory :(

slb052

Postby slb052 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 am

Katerina wrote:That's awesome- I'm so glad that they accepted it and let you know that they received it (unlike some schools who keep you in the dark for months ::cough BU cough::) I think a LOCI is probably a good move at this point (wish I had thought to do one earlier, oh well). Keep us updated on your progress!

First of all, very excited for you! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I sent in a LOCI on Dec. 30 via overnight mail (so I have delivery confirmation), but never heard back from them about it so now I'm a little concerned that they never got it. Should I be worried??? Email them?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”