Advice needed for held NYU ED student

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
junelsat

Advice needed for held NYU ED student

Postby junelsat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Hello. I applied to 13 schools during late November and December. I have a 3.8/169/168 and was held by NYU Early Decision. I strongly believe I underperformed on the LSAT, as ,my practices were consistently above 170, and I know exactly where I panicked and let my nerves get the best of me on the third test. If I take the February LSAT, many schools might not see the 3rd score until after they make a decision. NYU will likely not make a decision until after I get the score back, and I don't think I'll be able to get in without some sort of boost. Furthermore, if I can get the score up it could help me with potential wait lists. My questions are these.

How will schools(especially NYU) view a 3rd take?

What about the timing with regard to many other schools?

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks a lot.

Lincoln

Re: Advice needed for help NYU ED student

Postby Lincoln » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I think that your score would have to increase a more than a point or two if it is to have any effect. Also, since you took it twice, and did not get above a 170, is there any guarantee that your nerves won't affect the score a third time? I'm not saying you shouldn't take it, but these are factors to consider in your decision.

As to how NYU views a third score, no one here will be able to authoritatively answer that. However, I'd assume that if you nail a 175 before a decision is made, you're in. But if you get a 170, you might as well not have wasted the time and money.

rw2264

Re: Advice needed for help NYU ED student

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 pm

stop double posting.

if you do much better it might tip the scales in your favor, though i think you have a good shot anyway. but you will probably get another 168/169. its very hard to improve significantly on such a high score, as your second LSAT demonstrated.

Veyron

Re: Advice needed for held NYU ED student

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:31 pm

I was admitted RD with similar stats. Honestly, numbers are probably not the reason you were held though they definately didn't help. I would work on making yourself a more compelling candidate in other ways.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Veyron wrote:I was admitted RD with similar stats. Honestly, numbers are probably not the reason you were held though they definately didn't help. I would work on making yourself a more compelling candidate in other ways.

Veyron- what were your stats? thanks.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone held by NYU called and talked to them afterwards? I remember from back a few years ago when I was considered going the med school route some schools said things about being happy to tell applicants how they could strengthen their application after a decision was made. I’m wondering if NYU would be willing to discuss what held ED applicants could do to strengthen their application, although I get the feeling they would just say “submit additional essay/LOR.. update grades, retake LSAT”

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”