Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quadsixm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby quadsixm » Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
quadsixm wrote:Interesting to see some movement now... they told me to wait until June at the earliest as well. Good to know.

Stardate May 12, 2010

Absolutely ZERO movement on my file. Still just "COMPLETE". At this point, I really have to question the administration here. FWIW, I'm probably an auto ding. It just doesn't make any sense??????

Oh, I was talking about them starting to pull from the WL already. And I thought my UC Davis decision took a long time.... I feel for you.

romi46

Postby romi46 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 pm

romi46 wrote:DR today :(

Waitlisted... as expected

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Tue May 18, 2010 8:06 pm

DR today

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Tue May 18, 2010 9:56 pm

joonhp wrote:DR today

Ditto.

So if we don't get a wavenet email, we are shit out of luck?

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Wed May 19, 2010 1:36 am

Wavenet can, I believe, take up to three days to receive. Waitlist/reject just gets the letter. Mine took 6 days to travel about 2 miles! Good luck!

rossoneri13

Postby rossoneri13 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Any movement off the WL?..

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri May 21, 2010 6:01 pm

rossoneri13 wrote:Any movement off the WL?..

Still "in review" here. It's so nice of them to take the extra time to really filter through my application. Makes me feel extra special. They like me. They really, really, like me.

:|

rossoneri13

Postby rossoneri13 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

Still "in review" here. It's so nice of them to take the extra time to really filter through my application. Makes me feel extra special. They like me. They really, really, like me.

They're just in awe of your credentials. Possibly trying to figure out a way to expedite your JD and have you hired as a full-time professor.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri May 21, 2010 6:07 pm

rossoneri13 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

They're just in awe of your credentials. Possibly trying to figure out a way to expedite your JD and have you hired as a full-time professor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I needed that!

yzrcr701

Postby yzrcr701 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:45 pm

For those interested, I just got the "waitlist, are you still interested call today." I would guess in the next week or so, they will make a couple more offers off of the waitlist

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Fri May 21, 2010 11:27 pm

yzrcr701 wrote:For those interested, I just got the "waitlist, are you still interested call today." I would guess in the next week or so, they will make a couple more offers off of the waitlist

Well, are you? Kidding, but I'm shocked you were even waitlisted to begin with. Did you apply super late? They should have received my 2nd loci today so here's to hoping they can read through the lines and see my desperation.

rossoneri13

Postby rossoneri13 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:25 am

Foosters Galore wrote:Well, are you? Kidding, but I'm shocked you were even waitlisted to begin with. Did you apply super late? They should have received my 2nd loci today so here's to hoping they can read through the lines and see my desperation.

I never understood the multiple LOCI's. Did something really amazing happen to you since sending in your first one? I guess I'm not interesting enough to justify multiple letters.

yzrcr701

Postby yzrcr701 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:
yzrcr701 wrote:For those interested, I just got the "waitlist, are you still interested call today." I would guess in the next week or so, they will make a couple more offers off of the waitlist

Well, are you? Kidding, but I'm shocked you were even waitlisted to begin with. Did you apply super late? They should have received my 2nd loci today so here's to hoping they can read through the lines and see my desperation.

I actually applied in October- I was suprised too that I got wl. I always wanted to know why... oh well, good luck to you though- I hope they do take a look at your 2nd loci and let you in- I'm in the same boat with Vandy- I've written a few locis but who knows- I don't even know if I'll get off the pepperdine wl- here's to hoping though!

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Sat May 22, 2010 3:06 pm

rossoneri13 wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:Well, are you? Kidding, but I'm shocked you were even waitlisted to begin with. Did you apply super late? They should have received my 2nd loci today so here's to hoping they can read through the lines and see my desperation.

I never understood the multiple LOCI's. Did something really amazing happen to you since sending in your first one? I guess I'm not interesting enough to justify multiple letters.

Yes. I beat Kofi Annan in a round of golf. I mean pummeled the guy.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Sun May 23, 2010 1:14 pm

I got that call on Friday too. I have to say that it might have been a little messed up. The moment she asked me if I was still interested in going to Pepperdine, I was pretty sure the next words out of her mouth were going to be "we would like to extend you an offer of acceptance." Instead it was to see if I had still not yet committed myself to going somewhere completely different. You know it's funny how schools keep contacting me to see if I am still interested... I thought that the fact that I signed up for the WL was indicative of that! lol

Anyways so I guess they are going to be forwarding a crop of applications to the committee this next week and probably making a few offers from that group. It sounds like Pepperdine certainly has a few seats open if they are beginning to look to fill up the class now. All I can say is that the 2nd deposit deadline for Loyola is due on the 4th so they'd better hurry if I am to consider the school.

Also the employment prospects seem much shakier... I'd like it if anyone could change my mind on that.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Sun May 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Most current numbers aren't available yet. Theres lots of info out there on the relative #s but who knows what its worth right now...this is probably the worst ever year to graduate law school. Most people I know that just graduated are going to be studying for the bar, so not working yet or at least taking time off, so won't have any current data on those guys for some time until after you make your decision of course. Might just put a call into the CDO at Pepperdine, and whatever they call it at Loyola. I know the Pepperdine folks have always been forthcoming when answering questions for me, and those offices might not feed you as much BS as the admissions offices might be tempted to.

On a previous note, especially for those who havent read this whole thread, last year Pepperdine called me while on the wait list. I had never sent in a LOCI or anything, but when I was on the phone I did tell them that Pepperdine was my first choice and that I would attend if accepted. Got a call two days later with the acceptance. Kinda shady way to get a quick decision from them if they are not your first choice, but for what its worth it seemed to speed up the process...

yzrcr701

Postby yzrcr701 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:58 pm

dalancas wrote:

Also the employment prospects seem much shakier... I'd like it if anyone could change my mind on that.

I am also interested on the above question... I withdrew from Loyola (for me I didn't love the campus and thought it would be nice having a smaller class sizeI am curious about job prospects out in contrast- I do know that it has a better reputation outside of CA according to some lawyers I've spoken with in Colorado and through a contact I still have after interviewing with Vandy- but it is a small sample of people I've asked- and none of them practice in CA

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Sun May 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Maybe better question at the moment is what information etc. makes this "seem" the case in your eyes?

USNWR: 9 Months out
Loyola 97.4
Pepperdine 96.5
Self-reported

LLS site: http://intranet.lls.edu/careerservices/ ... tstats.pdf
Pepp site (not nearly as thorough) : http://law.pepperdine.edu/careers/prosp ... -stats.htm

This data is over two years old...so also with a grain of salt: http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf
Last edited by 1ferret! on Sun May 23, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yzrcr701

Postby yzrcr701 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:30 pm

deleted post
Last edited by yzrcr701 on Mon May 24, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Sun May 23, 2010 10:39 pm

yzrcr701 wrote:
1ferret! wrote:Maybe better question at the moment is what information etc. makes this "seem" the case in your eyes?

Sorry for the confusion, this comment was aimed at the previous poster..

for example, with my interviewer from Vandy (an alumni) a couple months ago I asked him who has a better reputation loyola or pepperdine- he told me that obviously both have great lawyers that have come from both schools but through his work experience, he finds pepperdine grads to have a strong grasp on what they are doing, more so than loyola- I asked why that is- and he says that it's the number of graduates- loyola has some great grads but because they put out so many- it seemed to him that some where not as prepared. he also warned me against Denver University- said they are often clueless. (this all refers to very complicated cases through the department of justice.
Other businessmen I spoke with (not in CA) had heard of pepperdine- said it has a good reputation and when I said loyola marymount- one said, oh the school in Chicago and another mentioned new orleans (or somewhere like that) when I said LA, they didn't seem to have familiarity with the school
as far as me personally, I just had a better feel when i visited pepperdine- that was just personal pref. I didn't love loyola's location and when I walked around I didn't get teh law school feeling I was looking for- it felt like undergrad, also on my visit, I sat in on a class with a few other visiting students and the prof. was boring and we couldn't even see him because we were so far in the back with a ledge- but the students did tell us- not to judge the school on that class- for me though, it was my only experience there
I'm not trying to knock loyola at all here- I'm just stating what I've heard and felt- I don't want to start a huge debate or anything (debates are all over the internet)

If you want more details PM me- I don't want to get too carried away on this forum

Just updated my last post with links FWIW...old and self reported data...

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon May 24, 2010 5:36 pm

DR today! Closure. Sweet, sweet closure.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 pm

WL today...expected a ding

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon May 24, 2010 7:23 pm

joonhp wrote:WL today...expected a ding

I'm pretty sure they sent your ding to me!! :lol: :wink:

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!

yzrcr701