Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby utilitarianjac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:23 pm

eberl032 wrote:Does anyone have info or a link that shows what numbers (lsat/gpa) are offered the faculty scholarship?

I really hope I get it but my numbers are just under there recommendations. Think I have a chance?

Good luck to everyone else who applied


You could always mine lawschoolnumbers.com for information.

You can look back over recent years to get some idea. Keep in mind, however, that all of that data is self-reported and certainly does not cover all students who apply and/or attend.

If you are close to their recommendations, it can't hurt to give it a try.

I'm hoping that the TLS crowd gets showered with money!

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby jmhendri » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm thinking of shooting out a late application to Pepperdine. 162/3.12(3.82). Cannot seem to get some BS for this damn mission statement response hammered out though.


Can I get some helpful suggestions on finishing this incomplete section:

A profound relationship with the principles of purpose, service, and leadership is the basis for my desire to study law. Coming from a background of very little religious structure or guidance in the realm of morality, embracing these concepts came relatively late in my life. However, once I began my study in to poverty and global development I began to realize that the passivity with which I had been living my life was, in itself, wasteful and unethical and that avoidance of immorality does not in any way constitute morality. I discovered in myself a hidden purpose, to affect the lives of others for the better through the strengthening of democratic values around the world.
I have chosen to pursue a life in law because I strongly believe that a society’s legal system represents its most sacred values. As such, those who choose to study and serve this legal system act as guardians who protect these values.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:35 pm

^ That seems great. The administration loves our study abroad programs in Uganda, Thailand, Rwanda, etc. so taking about human rights and helping the less fortunate is what there looking for. Maybe more specificty about how you plan to use your law degree to accomplish that.

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby -austin- » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Also considering a late application, I'm not struggling with the content but more so what length is appropriate.

I'm assuming they dont want anything longer than a normal personal statement, but is it looked down upon to complete it in less?

I'm really just wondering the average length for this thing. Any help would be appreciated.

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby utilitarianjac » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:11 pm

-austin- wrote:Also considering a late application, I'm not struggling with the content but more so what length is appropriate.

I'm assuming they dont want anything longer than a normal personal statement, but is it looked down upon to complete it in less?

I'm really just wondering the average length for this thing. Any help would be appreciated.


I turned in less than a full page. As long as it is a thoughtful response, I think you will be fine.

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby -austin- » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:21 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
-austin- wrote:Also considering a late application, I'm not struggling with the content but more so what length is appropriate.

I'm assuming they dont want anything longer than a normal personal statement, but is it looked down upon to complete it in less?

I'm really just wondering the average length for this thing. Any help would be appreciated.


I turned in less than a full page. As long as it is a thoughtful response, I think you will be fine.


Thanks for the quick response. I think I can get my point across in about the same but did not know whether to treat this as a second personal statement or like other short answer questions I have encountered on other apps.

choochoo
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby choochoo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 am

-austin- wrote:
utilitarianjac wrote:
-austin- wrote:Also considering a late application, I'm not struggling with the content but more so what length is appropriate.

I'm assuming they dont want anything longer than a normal personal statement, but is it looked down upon to complete it in less?

I'm really just wondering the average length for this thing. Any help would be appreciated.


I turned in less than a full page. As long as it is a thoughtful response, I think you will be fine.


Thanks for the quick response. I think I can get my point across in about the same but did not know whether to treat this as a second personal statement or like other short answer questions I have encountered on other apps.



I just submitted my app earlier tonight! :D

I was also struggling with the mission statement. Mine ended up being a page and a half, double spaced.

Does anyone know how Pepperdine responds to alcohol addendums? Nothing major, just got written up for alcohol sophomore year. Hopefully not a complete contradiction to the mission statement! ha Pepperdine is the only school I've applied to that I think would at all possibly care...

lawlawlawlaw
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:49 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby lawlawlawlaw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:30 am

i had a minor in possession charge (alcohol), and had gotten in trouble for smoking (jane) which i informed the school via email of after the application was already sent and was still accepted, so i wouldn't worry about the alcohol.

aquanow
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:33 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby aquanow » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I also had an alcohol charge a few years back and was accepted with scholarship money, air on the side of honesty/disclosure... no reason to screw yourself over :). Can't wait for March 27 for the visit weekend I am planning on going at this point. Can't wait to see Malibu!

User avatar
soccersmo
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby soccersmo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm

I put in the Faculty Scholar app the night it was due at like 11:00, lol.... I'm really hoping for it... if you really can combine the offers a Faculty Scholarship and a Dean's Scholarship then it would be impossible for me to turn down Pepperdine...
my GPA is a little lower than their recommended numbers, but my LSAT is a little higher, so I've got my fingers crossed!!!

User avatar
eberl032
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:52 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby eberl032 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:26 pm

soccersmo wrote:I put in the Faculty Scholar app the night it was due at like 11:00, lol.... I'm really hoping for it... if you really can combine the offers a Faculty Scholarship and a Dean's Scholarship then it would be impossible for me to turn down Pepperdine...
my GPA is a little lower than their recommended numbers, but my LSAT is a little higher, so I've got my fingers crossed!!!


I called and they said that the faculty scholarship award would trump any existing offer.

I recieved a letter inviting me to visit, everyone else get this?

Does anyone know how they notify FSA applicants? Via phone, email? Also will they notify me of a decline?

User avatar
soccersmo
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby soccersmo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:28 pm

eberl032 wrote:
soccersmo wrote:I put in the Faculty Scholar app the night it was due at like 11:00, lol.... I'm really hoping for it... if you really can combine the offers a Faculty Scholarship and a Dean's Scholarship then it would be impossible for me to turn down Pepperdine...
my GPA is a little lower than their recommended numbers, but my LSAT is a little higher, so I've got my fingers crossed!!!


I called and they said that the faculty scholarship award would trump any existing offer.

I recieved a letter inviting me to visit, everyone else get this?

Does anyone know how they notify FSA applicants? Via phone, email? Also will they notify me of a decline?


ohhhh so they don't combine scholarship offers??? I knew it was too good to be true :(
still a sweet deal none-the-less

taytay
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby taytay » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:44 pm

finally went complete today after what seemed like an eternity. I ended up applying for the faculty scholars award too even though I'm a little under the recommended numbers. I am hoping to get some kind of scholarship since it would probably be too expensive otherwise but I am a little concerned about their top third stipulation. I know most people on this thread are applying for next fall but has anyone heard if its real hard to stay in the top third at pepperdine or if they tend to section stack?? it would really suck to lose the scholly after a year.

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby utilitarianjac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm

taytay wrote:finally went complete today after what seemed like an eternity. I ended up applying for the faculty scholars award too even though I'm a little under the recommended numbers. I am hoping to get some kind of scholarship since it would probably be too expensive otherwise but I am a little concerned about their top third stipulation. I know most people on this thread are applying for next fall but has anyone heard if its real hard to stay in the top third at pepperdine or if they tend to section stack?? it would really suck to lose the scholly after a year.


Pepperdine does not stack sections. There are three sections each year and they are intentionally made as even as possible. Pepperdine has incoming students ranked according to their unique indexing formula. The top ranked student goes to one section, the second student goes to another section, and so on.

That said, it doesn't mean that staying in the top third will be easy. There are a lot of scholarship students here that are working to keep their money. There are a lot of other students who are working to be as close to the top as they can be. It is competitive.

User avatar
jgulia45
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby jgulia45 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 pm

eberl032 wrote:
soccersmo wrote:I put in the Faculty Scholar app the night it was due at like 11:00, lol.... I'm really hoping for it... if you really can combine the offers a Faculty Scholarship and a Dean's Scholarship then it would be impossible for me to turn down Pepperdine...
my GPA is a little lower than their recommended numbers, but my LSAT is a little higher, so I've got my fingers crossed!!!


I called and they said that the faculty scholarship award would trump any existing offer.

I recieved a letter inviting me to visit, everyone else get this?

Does anyone know how they notify FSA applicants? Via phone, email? Also will they notify me of a decline?


yes they notify the finalists via phone. the dean of students told me this on the tour. he said he is the one making the calls and they notify around the 1st of Feb. i'm super crossing my fingers for this one too. he said they have up to 15 people as finalists

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby utilitarianjac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 pm

jgulia45 wrote:
eberl032 wrote:
soccersmo wrote:I put in the Faculty Scholar app the night it was due at like 11:00, lol.... I'm really hoping for it... if you really can combine the offers a Faculty Scholarship and a Dean's Scholarship then it would be impossible for me to turn down Pepperdine...
my GPA is a little lower than their recommended numbers, but my LSAT is a little higher, so I've got my fingers crossed!!!


I called and they said that the faculty scholarship award would trump any existing offer.

I recieved a letter inviting me to visit, everyone else get this?

Does anyone know how they notify FSA applicants? Via phone, email? Also will they notify me of a decline?


yes they notify the finalists via phone. the dean of students told me this on the tour. he said he is the one making the calls and they notify around the 1st of Feb. i'm super crossing my fingers for this one too. he said they have up to 15 people as finalists



Dean Gash is awesome. I was very fortunate to have him as a professor last year.

By the way, I was notified on February 7. That was two years ago.

User avatar
jgulia45
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby jgulia45 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18 am

haha ok that is good to know. i would have been freaking out around february 7th if you hadn't just said that.

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby utilitarianjac » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 am

jgulia45 wrote:haha ok that is good to know. i would have been freaking out around february 7th if you hadn't just said that.


I completely understand. I didn't want any premature disappointment.

lalalaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby lalalaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Decision Rendered today - 1/21
Sent - 1/9
I'm pretty sure I went complete earlier this week which means it was an extremely fast turnover... Anyone know what this could mean?

I am a URM

taytay
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby taytay » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:41 pm

lalalaw wrote:Decision Rendered today - 1/21
Sent - 1/9
I'm pretty sure I went complete earlier this week which means it was an extremely fast turnover... Anyone know what this could mean?

I am a URM


wow thats quick I went complete a few days earlier and I still haven't heard anything. although I don't know your stats I would say that they really want you though because that would be pretty quick for a rejection.

User avatar
acrossthepond
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:20 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby acrossthepond » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 pm

In with $20,000 a year given I stay in the top third.

lalalaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby lalalaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 pm

In! I got a fax though so I don't know anything about scholarships yet, hopefully something! I will be applying for the diversity scholarship. :D

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:40 pm

If your a definite acceptance the turn around time is amazingly fast. The school makes a habit of getting out acceptances quick, much faster than other schools, since a quick acceptance and lots of scholarship money is hard to turn down when other schools take forever to get back to you, and especially when you compare all your other acceptances to the Pepperdine one.

If you apply for faculty scholars you'll get contacted via email or letter if you don't get it, so you will hear back either way.

If you get faculty scholars, the scholarship replaces rather than stacking with a deans scholarship. They don't stack a section with scholarship recipients as was explained above, but you can expect they give scholarships to more than 1/3. Either way its nice to know for sure that your 1L at least will be at a discount. Plus Pepperdine tuition is pretty much the same or less than the other CA schools so not a bad deal.

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Xizenta » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 pm

I received a pepperdine acceptance packet today, but there is no scholarship offer included... does this mean they are not providing me with any merit based scholarships? or do those come later?

It's funny because my app only went complete 5 days ago.

166 / 3.2

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Xizenta » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Damn, i'm pretty positive that I didn't get a scholarship. Most of the LSN people that got an admit today already have scholarship info up, so I would assume it comes with the acceptance package.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”