Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hungryjumps

Re: Pepperdine

Postby hungryjumps » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm

eberl032 wrote:Thanks for the infor from ASD.

What did you think of the facilities. I love the campus location, but the buildings look old (70's if Im not mistaken). Were they nice? Anything newely remodeled? Was there a decent amount of natural light inside. I go crazy with only florescent lighting.

Did you happen to see the gym?

The facilities were fine. The building was basic. Classes run for only 1 hour per session so you won't be locked in for 3 hours straight. The lecture halls are flush with medium-dark wood so you don't get indoor florescent lights bouncing off plastic walls. Personally I think the facilities are way nicer than UCLA, which is surprisingly bad. As for natural light inside, there is not too much of it. The weather is almost always nice so you can step out to the patio to study. It looks out to the Pacific ocean and is completely drenched with sunlight - there are tables and seats around available for studying. You can also study around campus, or at home.

I did not see the gym but from what I hear it is pretty dismal. Personally, gyms are not a concern of mine in choosing a school... this being LA, there are plenty of workout places around town.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Hungryjumps has it right. Here is a bit more of the same:

The building is a bit dated, but there are plans for remodeling. They redid a lot of the library this past summer, and it is looking good. There are windows along most of the walls. You have a view of either the ocean or the mountains. I didn't spend any time in the library during the school year, but I was there most of the summer as a research assistant. I had a study carrel in the far corner up against the window. It was quite nice.

As for the classrooms, they are on the first floor of the building. Very few classroom spaces have any windows as most of the rooms are below ground.

I doubt many law school students use the gym much. It isn't great, and you have to go to the lower campus. Most students walk (or run) around campus, which is a great workout because of the hills. You can also use the track on the lower campus or go to the beach. For weight-lifting, you can get a membership with a real gym or buy some basics for your room.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted~ I was just wondering when first deposits were due for you guys...I am still playing the waiting game, but I think I will hear back after they gauge their deposits.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 pm

Officially just signed up for the Pepperdine waitlist. Let's ride this baby out!

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Good luck man - hope it works out!!!

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:57 am

I went to the ASD as well. Dean Butler and the CDO sound awesome. Definitely reassuring.

I thought the student panel was great, but I always like to get the opinions of those students who weren't chosen by faculty to be on a panel. All of the students I spoke with were friendly and happy with the decision they had made to attend Pepperdine.

I got the feeling that the majority of UG students are rich white kids, made evident by driving around the school and seeing the many Porsches parallel parked in student parking :)

I was concerned that the law school was going to have the same "rich white kid" feel, but besides the admitted students that were there with their mom's holding designer handbags, I didn't really get that vibe.

A lot of conversation throughout the day focused on the many international clinics and programs that Pepperdine sponsors.

Anyway, all in all it was a good experience and made my decision even harder.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Are first deposits for admits due tomorrow?

Kase Law

Postby Kase Law » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 pm

joonhp wrote:Are first deposits for admits due tomorrow?

April 15, I believe

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:55 pm

I just called them today and spoke to what I assume was as student worker for the law school administration. He told me there is going to be a batch of letters sent BY April 11th prior to the first deposit April 15th . He also said if you do not receive a letter by then, you will be given a later 1st deposit date (assuming you got accepted).

I dunno about the truthyness of this but that's was he told me. Hopefully, the April 11th batch are acceptances, I mean why else release them just a few days before the first deposit? Or maybe it's designed to add insult to injury! Or maybe the whole thing is just a big lie to get me off the phone.

If possible can someone PLEASE call and verify this info, I'm already a nuisance, they might just reject me for being a pest.

acrossthepond

Postby acrossthepond » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:30 am

Off subject, but I have been having to deal with the financial aid office because I have a foreign income that didn't really input well on my FAFSA (they keep asking for proof of my American income... which I don't have, though I am American).

I just have to say they are the nicest, most helpful people I have ever met. Every time I talk to them I just think, this school is excellent.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 pm

acrossthepond wrote:Off subject, but I have been having to deal with the financial aid office because I have a foreign income that didn't really input well on my FAFSA (they keep asking for proof of my American income... which I don't have, though I am American).

I just have to say they are the nicest, most helpful people I have ever met. Every time I talk to them I just think, this school is excellent.

Thanks for this! I have a strong dislike for my undergraduate school and the main reason is how pathetic and unhelpful the financial aid office is. It is good to know Im heading somewhere that has intelligent financial aid representatives.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

acrossthepond wrote:Off subject, but I have been having to deal with the financial aid office because I have a foreign income that didn't really input well on my FAFSA (they keep asking for proof of my American income... which I don't have, though I am American).

Maybe you are speaking exclusively of the financial aid office, but after being Waitlisted I sent two separate people in the admissions office emails with questions regarding my situation. One was just a quick note asking if they had received my LOCI and the other was to an admission officer who personally gave me his business card on a visit and told him to email him if I had any questions during the process. Both emails were sent over 3 weeks ago and I have yet to hear word one. I understand they're busy, but 3 weeks? I think (solely based on numbers) that I may be at the top of the WL, wishful thinking perhaps, but the message I'm getting based on their silence is "if we need you, we'll let ya know. Until then, leave us alone."

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 pm

give them a call

acrossthepond

Postby acrossthepond » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:

Maybe you are speaking exclusively of the financial aid office, but after being Waitlisted I sent two separate people in the admissions office emails with questions regarding my situation. One was just a quick note asking if they had received my LOCI and the other was to an admission officer who personally gave me his business card on a visit and told him to email him if I had any questions during the process. Both emails were sent over 3 weeks ago and I have yet to hear word one. I understand they're busy, but 3 weeks? I think (solely based on numbers) that I may be at the top of the WL, wishful thinking perhaps, but the message I'm getting based on their silence is "if we need you, we'll let ya know. Until then, leave us alone."

I have always called. Even with my undergraduate university. In my experience it is the best way to get a response out of people. Yesterday I called Pepperdine needing a receipt of my enrollment deposit that was official. I received a PDF an hour later. I look at it like this: If they get 20 e-mails a day it could take them awhile to sort through them and it really isn't that pressing. If you call them, they pretty much have to answer your question straight away.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck to those still waiting.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:I just called them today and spoke to what I assume was as student worker for the law school administration. He told me there is going to be a batch of letters sent BY April 11th prior to the first deposit April 15th . He also said if you do not receive a letter by then, you will be given a later 1st deposit date (assuming you got accepted).

I dunno about the truthyness of this but that's was he told me. Hopefully, the April 11th batch are acceptances, I mean why else release them just a few days before the first deposit? Or maybe it's designed to add insult to injury! Or maybe the whole thing is just a big lie to get me off the phone.

If possible can someone PLEASE call and verify this info, I'm already a nuisance, they might just reject me for being a pest.

Don't worry Mike; The deposit deadlines are applicable to accepted students (not waitlisters). They don't expect you to put down a deposit when your on the wait list, and aren't even sure if you'll be getting in. I would assume that when you are accepted off the waitlist, it includes a deposit date specific for your batch of new acceptances, so they can clear out the people who stayed on the waitlist but weren't serious, from the people who were.

Don't worry about annoying the offices either, that's there job and to my knowledge they have never rejected someone for being a "pest" :)

PM 1ferret! if your still worried cuz I know he rode a roller coaster waitlist when he went through.

M_bear

Postby M_bear » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:25 pm

waitlisted :?

hannibalhamlin61

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:26 pm

--ImageRemoved--

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:39 pm

really?

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 am

Decision rendered April 2nd. Haven't heard anything still. :/

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:Decision rendered April 2nd. Haven't heard anything still. :/

When did you go complete? Also, if you don't mind, what are your stats?

If anyone is planning to visit the campus it would be great if you can get some pics of the law school posted here. Just a thought.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am

lawschoolmike wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:Decision rendered April 2nd. Haven't heard anything still. :/

If anyone is planning to visit the campus it would be great if you can get some pics of the law school posted here. Just a thought.

Well, I went complete in early January and heard NOTHING until I saw that posted online.

156/3.91, strong softs.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63751

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:06 am

smartblonde87 wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:

Well, I went complete in early January and heard NOTHING until I saw that posted online.

156/3.91, strong softs.

Good luck!

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:47 pm

thanks!

and your crazy avatar makes me giggle :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”