Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uwb09

Re: Pepperdine

Postby uwb09 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:36 pm

thebadpancake wrote:
star10 wrote:WL'ed...boooo

My status changed to "Decision Rendered" on 3/17 as well. How did you find out that you are WL'ed? I haven't heard anything yet.

if you don't receive a Wavenet signup e-mail within a couple days after decision rendered, you got WL'd/Dinged

if you did get the wavenet email, you be in

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 pm

ogurty wrote:just got waitlisted. 3.48/170.
my only ding so far - in at ucla, irvine and loyola ($$).
i am a little confused.

Because you applied late and have numbers to get into UCLA/USC/Irvine they probably were concerned that you weren't a serious applicant (i.e. this is a case of YP); most ppl with your type of numbers (although your kinda a splitter) tend to apply for the big scholarships early at Pepp.

In your type of case, you would benefit from talking to someone at the school or sending a loci basically saying "I have gotten into UCLA and Irvine but I am seriously interested in Pepperdine for its great X, Y, and Z, and if Pepperdine were to offer me $$$ (fill in the blank) I would very seriously consider attending".

This is all assuming that you were serious in applying after all - I would guess only a small group of people turn down UCLA in favor of Pepperdine big schollys or personally liking Pepperdine better for whatever reason.

Don't take it personally; T30 -T2 are known for being heavy on the YP when they get applicants with an LSAT score extremely high for their averages.

Good luck!

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:43 pm

atfarmer wrote:Can anybody talk about how outwardly Christian the law school is? In other words, is the student body generally pretty chill about their beliefs or is there a lot of in your face stuff?

I'm not as religious as I used to be, but I still don't mind talking about it with friends. However, I find it annoying when people I just met, who haven't made it past the acquaintance stage, harass me about coming to their church, interrogate me over my beliefs, go into great detail about theirs etc.

I really like a lot of things about Pepperdine such as the conservative atmosphere, the commitment to public service, MALIBU, etc, but I don't want (and I admit this is likely a dumb fear) the social events to feel like a young life meeting. Can anybody who's visited (or attends pepp.) comment on this?

Its very low key here; there's religious clubs and activities but they are obviously voluntary and don't occur in class or anything. I haven't felt uncomfortable and I'm not religious FWIW. It plays more of a role in terms of the history/backdrop of the school and the mission statement. Basically, there are lots of religious opportunities/things going on here should you choose to pursue them.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Received a Diversity Scholarship in the amount of $10,000 per year today. It's renewable so long as you maintain good academic standing. While I'm happy to have received a Diversity Scholarship I'm still bummed by the amount. I really want to head out to California for a few years but it's financially unreasonable unless I get a substantial scholarship. :(

thebadpancake

Postby thebadpancake » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:13 pm

WL'ed. darn :(

not too surprised, but disappointed nonetheless. i'm a splitter.
3.0/168.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:30 pm

fcowrx wrote: I really want to head out to California for a few years. :(

The problem with that is Pepperdine is a strongly regional school. Most of its connections and alumni are confined to LA, OC, and SD. I'm strongly considering Pepperdine, mainly because I would like to someday live in SoCal, but I'm not sure if I should go because the option to come back east (at least to a decent job) will not be readily available upon graduation. Basically, going to law school at Pepperdine should not be equated with "heading to California for a few years," but more like "heading to California indefinitely."

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:12 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:

The problem with that is Pepperdine is a strongly regional school. Most of its connections and alumni are confined to LA, OC, and SD. I'm strongly considering Pepperdine, mainly because I would like to someday live in SoCal, but I'm not sure if I should go because the option to come back east (at least to a decent job) will not be readily available upon graduation. Basically, going to law school at Pepperdine should not be equated with "heading to California for a few years," but more like "heading to California indefinitely."

That's a rather ominous warning.

I'd argue that the situation isn't necessarily that bad. Pick a school that is a good fit for you. Make that a priority. Students who are happy tend to perform better in school. As best as you can, concern yourself less with all the other stuff (future jobs, money, etc.).

Get to school, and do the best that you can. Everything will work itself out.

If you have connections in the region where you will want to work, then maintain them. Go back and work there in the summer. Those connections are every bit as important as the school you choose and the grades you earn.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Got the waitlist letter in the mail today... lame.

The weird thing is you actually have to SIGN UP for the waitlist instead of just automatically being put on it. I suppose that is a good thing considering people who don't want to be on it will either just not respond at all, or click on the "no" option. The bad news is they are saying that they will not make any movement on their waitlist until mid-July... and that they imply that they will not be dipping in too deeply to the WL either. Weird. Pepperdine has gotten a huge rankings boost lately, I wonder how that has been affecting applicants to the SOL? Will that upward trend continue? Who knows.

Oh and one other thing is that it took me to this weird page afterwards... I am not sure what happened. I will be confirming my submission with them shortly.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:32 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:

Normally I would say thats sound advice, but about 1/2 of every recent entering class (including yours) will be Non-Californian's and from personal experience I know that many intend to work and live back home and utilize their connections there for summer employment and employment after graduation.

So I think to be more accurate your point should be more like - if your from Florida and go to Pepperdine and then decide you want to work in Montana, things will be harder on you then if a) you stayed in California or b) went back to Florida.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:31 am

gonna withdraw, with my 15k first year offer, hope my seat and the money go to someone who need it~ GL guys~

ViP

Postby ViP » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:

Normally I would say thats sound advice, but about 1/2 of every recent entering class (including yours) will be Non-Californian's and from personal experience I know that many intend to work and live back home and utilize their connections there for summer employment and employment after graduation.

So I think to be more accurate your point should be more like - if your from Florida and go to Pepperdine and then decide you want to work in Montana, things will be harder on you then if a) you stayed in California or b) went back to Florida.

I don't think it's a matter of intent. Many students intend on working outside the region, and some students truly do work outside the region, but the extra time, effort, and luck involved in landing such a job cannot be underestimated (and in an economy like this? I don't even want to think about it...).

If your primary concern is secure employment and a fruitful future in another region, you should seriously consider going to a school in that region. I understand that you might want to attend a regional school outside your "region" for a variety of factors. But finding a job will be quite a task (Pepperdine grads face enough competition within socal, alone).

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:55 pm

Is it cheaper to live in Calabasas than on-campus? Or is on-campus the cheapest option available for a 1L? I hear that a lot of people end up moving to Santa Monica for the next two years, but that sounds expensive...but then again, in LA County, anything safe is gonna be expensive.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:Is it cheaper to live in Calabasas than on-campus? Or is on-campus the cheapest option available for a 1L? I hear that a lot of people end up moving to Santa Monica for the next two years, but that sounds expensive...but then again, in LA County, anything safe is gonna be expensive.

99% sure that Calabasas is your cheapest option for a 1-2 bedroom, dorms can actually be the most expensive when you consider the fact that you can hunt for bargains amongst the million rental listings in LA / Santa Monica. I know some ppl that will be moving from the dorms to a 4 bedroom in LA for less for example. Then again its tough to put a price tag on a 0 commute from the dorms.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:49 am

Alright, that's interesting. Thanks for the help!

katalatriste

Postby katalatriste » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 pm

withdrew today. good luck to everyone waiting!

hungryjumps

Postby hungryjumps » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Is anyone heading to Admitted Students Day in Malibu this Friday (3/26)?

Kase Law

Postby Kase Law » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm

hungryjumps wrote:Is anyone heading to Admitted Students Day in Malibu this Friday (3/26)?

I am I am ! I'm excited =)

orko60

Postby orko60 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:45 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:Is it cheaper to live in Calabasas than on-campus? Or is on-campus the cheapest option available for a 1L? I hear that a lot of people end up moving to Santa Monica for the next two years, but that sounds expensive...but then again, in LA County, anything safe is gonna be expensive.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to be moving out there from San Bernardino, and I don't know anything about the area around Pepperdine. If you find any good places, let me know, if you don't mind! I'm shooting for under-$1000/month. Is that even possible up there?

I was waiting for Loyola's offer before deciding on Pepp for good, and I got my acceptance package from them today, with no $$. Lame. I'll take Pepperdine's offer over that any day!

Is anyone here going to be starting in the Summer in the Joint MDR/JD program? I need to get my app in for that.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Anyone have any experience negotiating with Pepperdine? It's my last shot at moving out west, I hope they're willing to throw some more money my way.

orko60

Postby orko60 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:31 am

fcowrx wrote:Anyone have any experience negotiating with Pepperdine? It's my last shot at moving out west, I hope they're willing to throw some more money my way.

I emailed them with an attempt at negotiation. They told me they would forward it to the admissions department, but that decisions about increasing scholarships would be made after May 1st. I assume they will see who has taken their offers and what money they have left. Good luck to both of us!

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Has anyone, still waiting for a decision, called recently to see what's going on? First deposit at other schools are coming up! :arrow: :|

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 pm

I have been complete since 2/11/2010. Is there a in review phase? Or does it just go straight to Decision Rendered?

Thanks

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:50 am

lawschoolmike wrote:I have been complete since 2/11/2010. Is there a in review phase? Or does it just go straight to Decision Rendered?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that it just goes straight to Decision Rendered. Hopefully you will hear something soon.

I am curious to hear the thoughts of people who attended the Admitted Students Day event. What did you think? Any questions now that it is over?

hungryjumps

Postby hungryjumps » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:I have been complete since 2/11/2010. Is there a in review phase? Or does it just go straight to Decision Rendered?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that it just goes straight to Decision Rendered. Hopefully you will hear something soon.

I am curious to hear the thoughts of people who attended the Admitted Students Day event. What did you think? Any questions now that it is over?

I was at ASD and was very impressed with the professors and deans who spoke to us. They were all funny, a little self-deprecating and lighthearted.

Most of the day was spent in the Caruso auditorium, and throughout the panels we could just hear tons of laughter coming from the neighboring lecture halls. The students appeared to genuinely enjoy their time in class (well, as much as one could possibly enjoy being in a classroom), which is important to me. No matter how you spin it, the study of law is not exactly high-octane fun, and I am someone who needs a great professor to drill dry material into my head. We also got to sit in on a Contracts class, which was absolutely hilarious. The professor was so animated, so humorous and extremely skilled at relating precedent cases (some from 15th century England) to modern times. I did not want that class to end.

The student organization open house was okay. There were some groups that were particularly passionate about what they do, like the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship and the Law. Same goes for the student panel. Not bad, but not spectacular.

For those who are worried about Pepperdine's "Christian bent", they did go out of their way to assure non-Christians that, and I say this verbatim, "The measure of how Christian a school is can be evidenced by how welcome non-Christians feel". There were a few mentions of "May God bless you" at the end of speeches but nothing more. It simply does not seem to a big issue at the Law School. The president of the SBA (Student Bar Association), who was on the student panel, is Muslim and she also reiterated that while Pepperdine is a Christian institution, you will never feel like a outcast if you yourself are not.

The campus is beautiful, yada yada. I like that all Law School facilities are in one building, which minimizes time spent trying to get to class. Also, the administration forbids classes to be held between 12:00pm - 1:30pm, so that everyone can have lunch, students can hang with professors, organizations can have short meetings, etc. I thought that was pretty cool, definitely fosters a community vibe, which is HUGE at Pepperdine Law.

If you have questions just post on the forum instead of PM - will be good to have this conversation going in public domain.

Other prospective students at ASD - please feel free to correct, contradict or concur.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks for the infor from ASD.

What did you think of the facilities. I love the campus location, but the buildings look old (70's if Im not mistaken). Were they nice? Anything newely remodeled? Was there a decent amount of natural light inside. I go crazy with only florescent lighting.

Did you happen to see the gym?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”