Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fenderjsm88

Re: Pepperdine

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Alright, so I just got back from vacation tonight and got the acceptance packet in the mail. Received a Dean's Scholarship of 25k/year, but it's only renewable if I stay in the top third of the class...

If I manage to keep the scholarship, then that would be $75k over 3 years, making the total expense around a nice, lean 120k. Pretty hard to resist.

I need to ask for an extension on the 4/15 deposit date. I'm still waiting on a few schools, plus I'm on the WL at a few top choices. Does anybody know if they are generous about granting such extensions?

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:Alright, so I just got back from vacation tonight and got the acceptance packet in the mail. Received a Dean's Scholarship of 25k/year, but it's only renewable if I stay in the top third of the class...

If I manage to keep the scholarship, then that would be $75k over 3 years, making the total expense around a nice, lean 120k. Pretty hard to resist.

I need to ask for an extension on the 4/15 deposit date. I'm still waiting on a few schools, plus I'm on the WL at a few top choices. Does anybody know if they are generous about granting such extensions?

Congrats on the nice scholarship! When I applied (two years ago), they seemed to be very generous in granting extensions. Your chances are improved by the fact they like you enough to offer such a big scholarship.

orko60

Postby orko60 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:12 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:Alright, so I just got back from vacation tonight and got the acceptance packet in the mail. Received a Dean's Scholarship of 25k/year, but it's only renewable if I stay in the top third of the class...

I'm jealous...I only got $15k a year! What were your numbers? Congrats!

What's everyone's opinion on the joint JD/MDR program? Worth it?

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:29 pm

orko60 wrote:

I'm jealous...I only got $15k a year! What were your numbers? Congrats!

What's everyone's opinion on the joint JD/MDR program? Worth it?

Thanks, I'm a 164/3.66. Honestly wasn't expecting that much. I visited the campus a few days ago...awesome place.

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:37 pm

DR on 3/17 too...

What is the turnaround time for East Coast?

If it's an acceptance you'll get an email for wavenet right?

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Looking at LSN, they haven't really started rejecting people yet... so I am relatively optimistic that I at least got waitlisted. Does anyone know how deep they go in the WL? If it comes down to Loyola vs. (holding out for) Pepperdine, I would be pretty torn...

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

dalancas wrote:Looking at LSN, they haven't really started rejecting people yet... so I am relatively optimistic that I at least got waitlisted. Does anyone know how deep they go in the WL? If it comes down to Loyola vs. (holding out for) Pepperdine, I would be pretty torn...

Soo I guess this means my decision was a waitlist? I have still not received my letter from a DF date of 3/8....unless my mom hid it because she didn't want my feelings to be hurt, I'm assuming it got lost or something? I'm not that interested in Pepperdine anymore, but I am curious...

14yearplan

Postby 14yearplan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:01 pm

If you want your decision letter by fax... simply fax a signed letter authorizing them to do so.
Fax to: 310-506-7668

I still don't understand why schools make things more difficult on themselves AND the applicants by not using either the status checker or email for the actual decisions.

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Last edited by ogurty on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:08 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:
dalancas wrote:Looking at LSN, they haven't really started rejecting people yet... so I am relatively optimistic that I at least got waitlisted. Does anyone know how deep they go in the WL? If it comes down to Loyola vs. (holding out for) Pepperdine, I would be pretty torn...

Soo I guess this means my decision was a waitlist? I have still not received my letter from a DF date of 3/8....unless my mom hid it because she didn't want my feelings to be hurt, I'm assuming it got lost or something? I'm not that interested in Pepperdine anymore, but I am curious...

Yeah, you should definitely ask them to fax that decision letter over ASAP! You never know what happens to these things. And... I don't know for sure. Your numbers don't sound like a reject. Unfortunately the numbers are pretty spotty for Pepperdine last year so we can't really know what their A/R/WL timeline looks like. I bet add a week to whatever date it was last year since there are more applications this year!

What other schools are you considering right now?

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:17 pm

ogurty wrote:just got waitlisted. 3.48/170.
my only ding so far - in at ucla, irvine and loyola ($$).
i am a little confused.

I'm a little surprised as well. The acceptance at UCLA is worth excitement though, especially with your GPA.

Maybe the Pepperdine waitlist is a result of a late application. The number of applicants is up this year. They might be close to filling up their expected class.

It might also have something to do with your personal statement or mission statement.

Good luck regardless!

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:28 pm

dalancas wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:

Yeah, you should definitely ask them to fax that decision letter over ASAP! You never know what happens to these things. And... I don't know for sure. Your numbers don't sound like a reject. Unfortunately the numbers are pretty spotty for Pepperdine last year so we can't really know what their A/R/WL timeline looks like. I bet add a week to whatever date it was last year since there are more applications this year!

What other schools are you considering right now?

I doubt i'd get enough money to justify the move to Malibu (cuz there's no way i'd wanna commute from LA) even if I got in. I received a full ride at Southwestern and $51k at Loyola ($17k each year). I also received scholarships at Santa Clara and San Diego. My cycle has been pretty predictable and right now I'm thinking it's gonna be between Southwestern and Loyola, unless USC miraculously accepts me.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 pm

I just paid my deposit. Who else is in for sure? Im very excited for the move.

katalatriste

Postby katalatriste » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:44 pm

is anyone else waiting to hear back about the diversity scholarship before making any decisions?

orko60

Postby orko60 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Is there any possibility of negotiation for a higher scholarship at Pepperdine? I would REALLY like to get that one that Bob Loblaw up there got; it would seal the deal for me (I'm already about 80% sure I'm going to Pep). What would it take for them to do it? Any way to sweet talk them?

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:15 pm

katalatriste wrote:is anyone else waiting to hear back about the diversity scholarship before making any decisions?

Me. Any clue when we're supposed to hear back about it? UF's deposit deadline is April 1st and I'd really like to know if I received the scholarship before then...

atfarmer

Postby atfarmer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Can anybody talk about how outwardly Christian the law school is? In other words, is the student body generally pretty chill about their beliefs or is there a lot of in your face stuff?

I'm not as religious as I used to be, but I still don't mind talking about it with friends. However, I find it annoying when people I just met, who haven't made it past the acquaintance stage, harass me about coming to their church, interrogate me over my beliefs, go into great detail about theirs etc.

I really like a lot of things about Pepperdine such as the conservative atmosphere, the commitment to public service, MALIBU, etc, but I don't want (and I admit this is likely a dumb fear) the social events to feel like a young life meeting. Can anybody who's visited (or attends pepp.) comment on this?

katalatriste

Postby katalatriste » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 pm

fcowrx wrote:
katalatriste wrote:is anyone else waiting to hear back about the diversity scholarship before making any decisions?

Me. Any clue when we're supposed to hear back about it? UF's deposit deadline is April 1st and I'd really like to know if I received the scholarship before then...

after april i believe ... the lady i spoke with at admissions said that was when theyd start reviewing apps ... after the deadline

boo im anxious to hear back sooner though!

ViP

Postby ViP » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Just withdrew my application (with good $$$).

Best of luck to everyone.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:02 pm

atfarmer wrote:Can anybody talk about how outwardly Christian the law school is? In other words, is the student body generally pretty chill about their beliefs or is there a lot of in your face stuff?

I'm not as religious as I used to be, but I still don't mind talking about it with friends. However, I find it annoying when people I just met, who haven't made it past the acquaintance stage, harass me about coming to their church, interrogate me over my beliefs, go into great detail about theirs etc.

I really like a lot of things about Pepperdine such as the conservative atmosphere, the commitment to public service, MALIBU, etc, but I don't want (and I admit this is likely a dumb fear) the social events to feel like a young life meeting. Can anybody who's visited (or attends pepp.) comment on this?

I can totally understand your concern. I am a religious person (my bachelor's degree is in Bible), and Christianity is certainly important to me. That said, I am very uncomfortable having deep theological conversations with people I hardly know. Those touchy feely types get on my nerves.

There are some of them here, but they don't ever do anything that bothers me in class. They can have their early morning Bible studies or lunch time discussions. I don't care. I don't go. No one ever makes me feel like less of a person for that choice.

All in all, I feel comfortable at Pepperdine. I am not scorned and ridiculed for being religious. Neither am I expected to engage in any social events that I don't want to engage in.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of other current students.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:27 pm

ogurty wrote:just got waitlisted. 3.48/170.
my only ding so far - in at ucla, irvine and loyola ($$).
i am a little confused.

This is weird. I wouldn't blame it on applying late, because I applied late (just got my letter a few days ago) and got in with a large scholarship...and my numbers are 164/3.66. It must be good old YP. If you're really interested, you better write and/or call them ASAP and make it known.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 pm

atfarmer wrote:Can anybody talk about how outwardly Christian the law school is? In other words, is the student body generally pretty chill about their beliefs or is there a lot of in your face stuff?

I visited a few days ago and talked to some students and, from what I could tell, the school's religious aspect doesn't extend beyond a few Christian-themed posters and a giant cross statue that doesn't even really look like a cross. But, then again, I went to a really in-your-face Christian school in rural Pennsylvania for 5th-8th grades so I'm kind of desensitized.

star10

Postby star10 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:30 pm

WL'ed...boooo

thebadpancake

Postby thebadpancake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:57 pm

star10 wrote:WL'ed...boooo

My status changed to "Decision Rendered" on 3/17 as well. How did you find out that you are WL'ed? I haven't heard anything yet.

star10

Postby star10 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:24 pm

If you fax them a letter saying that it's okay to release your decision letter they will fax it to you

I have no patience, so I did this....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”