Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StyrofoamWar
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby StyrofoamWar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:23 pm

For one of you current students out there...

In your experience, do the exams at pepperdine tend to be open book? Also, I have heard about professors who are anti-laptop, have you experienced this at pepperdine to much extent? Just some curiosities.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:12 pm

The only class our section had last semester that was open book was civil procedure. I think this is the norm.
Our first semester our property professor didn't let our class use laptops, but has changed his mind for this semester. Generally professors aren't big fans of the laptop use, but haven't heard of anyone else prohibiting...

StyrofoamWar
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby StyrofoamWar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:10 pm

What about self-prepared outlines? are those allowed or banned?

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby utilitarianjac » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:For one of you current students out there...

In your experience, do the exams at pepperdine tend to be open book? Also, I have heard about professors who are anti-laptop, have you experienced this at pepperdine to much extent? Just some curiosities.

Thanks in advance!


Like 1ferret! said, the only open book exam for 1Ls is CivPro. My Torts I exam was open book, but it was taught by a visiting professor who did things his way (his exam was 2 hours longer than normal, too).

None of my professors at the law school banned laptops. There were only 3 or 4 students in each class who did not use a laptop to take notes. There will be people who chat, surf, and update Facebook. If they can do that without distracting other students, fine. It's their loss, not mine.


StyrofoamWar wrote:What about self-prepared outlines? are those allowed or banned?


If the exam is open book, then self-prepared outlines are generally allowed. They are not allowed in closed book exams.

User avatar
RadMobile
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby RadMobile » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Anybody else get the Admitted Student Open House email?

I'm planning on going...anyone else?

User avatar
fenderjsm88
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby fenderjsm88 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:30 pm

I decided to apply super late. Just went complete on 3/2. Hopefully they have room for me. Both my LSAT and GPA are above the 75th, but still, I'm really ridiculously late.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:48 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:I decided to apply super late. Just went complete on 3/2. Hopefully they have room for me. Both my LSAT and GPA are above the 75th, but still, I'm really ridiculously late.


Probably a good shot at admission actually. However, your ability to get in on scholarship dollars might take a hit on account of the late application.

Have you been admitted elsewhere?

User avatar
fenderjsm88
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby fenderjsm88 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:12 pm

1ferret! wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:I decided to apply super late. Just went complete on 3/2. Hopefully they have room for me. Both my LSAT and GPA are above the 75th, but still, I'm really ridiculously late.


Probably a good shot at admission actually. However, your ability to get in on scholarship dollars might take a hit on account of the late application.

Have you been admitted elsewhere?


Yeah, Indiana and Fordham. Hopefully I can get some money (if I actually get admitted based on my late app.) But, if not, no biggie.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:11 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:
1ferret! wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:I decided to apply super late. Just went complete on 3/2. Hopefully they have room for me. Both my LSAT and GPA are above the 75th, but still, I'm really ridiculously late.


Probably a good shot at admission actually. However, your ability to get in on scholarship dollars might take a hit on account of the late application.

Have you been admitted elsewhere?


Yeah, Indiana and Fordham. Hopefully I can get some money (if I actually get admitted based on my late app.) But, if not, no biggie.


Should be a likely admit. Inevitably some of the initial group that were admitted with $$$ elect for other options, and if your #s are up there you will likely get the ok sooner rather than later with the schools focus on increasing its student #s. Your other school choices are interesting; are you just looking to explore options on the west coast? Or does Pepperdine attract your interest for a particular reason?

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby dalancas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:27 am

Looks like a lot of WLs are going out this week. Still haven't even been considered yet I think. Probably doesn't bode well though...

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:37 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:I decided to apply super late. Just went complete on 3/2. Hopefully they have room for me. Both my LSAT and GPA are above the 75th, but still, I'm really ridiculously late.


actually, your #s put you in the 75th for LSAT but in the middle 50 for GPA. Pepperdine's GPA 75th is at 3.79 and LSAT at 163.

meggers88
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby meggers88 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:52 am

Has anyone else been waiting literally forever for their status to change? Mine's been complete since November 19 and hasn't changed. Is that bad?? I'm 3.58 / 160

User avatar
fenderjsm88
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby fenderjsm88 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:01 am

1ferret! wrote:actually, your #s put you in the 75th for LSAT but in the middle 50 for GPA. Pepperdine's GPA 75th is at 3.79 and LSAT at 163.

Oh, okay. I thought their 75th was around 3.6 (I have a 3.66,) but I guess it's around 3.8, which does put me right in the middle. Do they seem to be favoring GPA over LSAT this cycle? Or does a high LSAT seem to get you in as long as your GPA is at the median?

1ferret! wrote: Your other school choices are interesting; are you just looking to explore options on the west coast? Or does Pepperdine attract your interest for a particular reason?

Yeah, I really want to keep my west coast options open and I've heard awesome things about Pepperdine. Applied to UCLA and USC. Dinged from UCLA almost immediately. Expecting a WL/Out from USC.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 pm

actually you probably have a better shot with the higher LSAT than the other way around. Although (I am currently attending) I do know people who got in being splitters in both directions...

If you are admitted (either to USC or Pepperdine) I would recommend visiting before making your decision with regard to your other options. The West coast attitude/environment is quite a bit different from a lot of schools in the east and might factor into your decision about where you want to spend the next three years.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:09 pm

meggers88 wrote:Has anyone else been waiting literally forever for their status to change? Mine's been complete since November 19 and hasn't changed. Is that bad?? I'm 3.58 / 160


Probably heading for the waitlist. However, Pepperdine was not the quickest to get back to me last cycle...

User avatar
fenderjsm88
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby fenderjsm88 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:47 pm

1ferret! wrote:actually you probably have a better shot with the higher LSAT than the other way around. Although (I am currently attending) I do know people who got in being splitters in both directions...

If you are admitted (either to USC or Pepperdine) I would recommend visiting before making your decision with regard to your other options. The West coast attitude/environment is quite a bit different from a lot of schools in the east and might factor into your decision about where you want to spend the next three years.


Alright, thanks for the advice. I've been to SoCal several times, but haven't visited a law school there. I'll be in the LA area next week so I'm planning on visiting the schools then. What would you say are the major differences in attitude/environment?

meggers88
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby meggers88 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:39 pm

1ferret! wrote:
meggers88 wrote:Has anyone else been waiting literally forever for their status to change? Mine's been complete since November 19 and hasn't changed. Is that bad?? I'm 3.58 / 160


Probably heading for the waitlist. However, Pepperdine was not the quickest to get back to me last cycle...


it seems like pepperdine is a lot more competitive this year...looks like i'll be going to san diego i guess. which isn't bad i just really wanted to stay in LA cos i'm interested in entertainment law.

Indianaman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Indianaman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 am

RadMobile wrote:Anybody else get the Admitted Student Open House email?

I'm planning on going...anyone else?



I think I'll be there, too. Any idea on ways to get around the city? Just take a taxi from the airport to the campus?

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby utilitarianjac » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:34 am

Indianaman wrote:
RadMobile wrote:Anybody else get the Admitted Student Open House email?

I'm planning on going...anyone else?



I think I'll be there, too. Any idea on ways to get around the city? Just take a taxi from the airport to the campus?


A taxi will be rather expensive. If you take a shuttle (Primetime, Super Shuttle, etc.), you will save a lot of money.

Once you get here, there are free shuttles on campus.

Jaded
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:26 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Jaded » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Darn. Waitlisted today. Thinking a withdrawal is in order.

User avatar
eberl032
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:52 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby eberl032 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I called financial aid yesterday in regards to need based aid. They told me in the next few weeks they will start awarding grants and loan offers.

This provoked some questions of mine. If loans are based on credit checks (like the Grad Plus loan) and the school is going to give me an award offer. Does this mean every school I applied to is going to be running a credit check on me? Or does FAFSA run it once and all the schools basically tell me what FAFSA said?

Im asking these questions because Im concerned. I want to attend Pepperdine but what if I'm not offered enough loans to cover the cost? Does this happen to people often? I have the oppertunity to attend a Tier 4 in my local area with a full ride. I'd much rather go to Pepperdine, but I have to make a decision by April, and do so not having discovered my loans and/or grants available to me. Am I missing something?

meggers88
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby meggers88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:12 pm

so scared...decision rendered 3/8!

Kase Law
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Kase Law » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

eberl032 wrote:I called financial aid yesterday in regards to need based aid. They told me in the next few weeks they will start awarding grants and loan offers.

This provoked some questions of mine. If loans are based on credit checks (like the Grad Plus loan) and the school is going to give me an award offer. Does this mean every school I applied to is going to be running a credit check on me? Or does FAFSA run it once and all the schools basically tell me what FAFSA said?

Im asking these questions because Im concerned. I want to attend Pepperdine but what if I'm not offered enough loans to cover the cost? Does this happen to people often? I have the oppertunity to attend a Tier 4 in my local area with a full ride. I'd much rather go to Pepperdine, but I have to make a decision by April, and do so not having discovered my loans and/or grants available to me. Am I missing something?



When I visited Pepperdine, I talked to Financial Aid as well. They told me that every student will receive loans to cover the cost of attending (housing, tuition, etc). I may be mistaken, but they made it sound like no matter what your situation is, you will be able to at least take out loans to cover the cost of attending the law school... Maybe call back and talk to them again about your concerns? I haven't ever heard of someone not being able to get loans to go to law school...just complaints about paying them back at the end! haha. Well, I hope it gets all figured out...hope to see you at Pepperdine too!

atfarmer
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby atfarmer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:48 pm

went complete last friday (3/5) and my status just changed to decision rendered today (3/9). Do they call people or am I going to have to wait to hear from them via snail mail?

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby uwb09 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 pm

atfarmer wrote:went complete last friday (3/5) and my status just changed to decision rendered today (3/9). Do they call people or am I going to have to wait to hear from them via snail mail?

if you are in, you will receive a wavenet e-mail in the next few days, before the letter (this appears to be the case)

if you are rejected/waitlisted, you won't receive any e-mail, and you will just receive a small envelope




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, Christinabruin, dreamer_13, lawlawland16, Maaza, studyingeveryday and 24 guests