Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eberl032

Re: Pepperdine

Postby eberl032 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:47 pm

jgulia45 wrote:Heading out to Pepperdine for faculty scholars weekend tomorrow. If there are any pressing questions people who are on the fence would like me to ask while I'm there, I'd be more than happy to report back :)

oh and any positive thoughts you all could send would be greatly appreciated!

Could you report on the general feeling that the atmosphere is like?

I have visited some lower ranked schools and it felt kind of high school-ish, like they babied you in, and really tried to over sell themselves. Ive also seen some high end schools that seemed like only hard working, self motivated individuals could thrive.

Just wondering what Pepperdine felt like to you. Thanks and good luck!

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Whose going to admitted students day on March 26th? I really want to but don't think I can afford a $400 flight to L.A. Why so expensive...

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:30 pm

If any of you live local or just wanna know a cool weird thing the school does; today is the Pepperdine dodge-ball tournament
They turn the Law school atrium into the Pepper-dome and students and faculty face off in a costumed contest for dodgeball champion!
If you youtube it brings up video from 2 yrs ago where one team of students was dressed as 1st year textbooks, pretty sweeeet IMO :D

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 pm

jgulia45 wrote:Heading out to Pepperdine for faculty scholars weekend tomorrow. If there are any pressing questions people who are on the fence would like me to ask while I'm there, I'd be more than happy to report back :)

oh and any positive thoughts you all could send would be greatly appreciated!

I'll be studying all day in the library Sat. Hit me up if you have any unanswered questions while visiting.

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 pm

eberl032 wrote:Whose going to admitted students day on March 26th? I really want to but don't think I can afford a $400 flight to L.A. Why so expensive...

I'll be heading to the ASD on the 26th. I'm excited for it. Just got an email today about the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship and Law. I thought Pepperdine may be too business oriented for me, but apparently there is an entire section of the Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship dedicated to social entrepreneurship and microfinance. They had Muhammad Yunus come and speak!!

PiPhiJD2013

Postby PiPhiJD2013 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

landmanpat wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:
choochoo wrote:Has anybody from the DR 2/18 group heard anything yet??? I'm still waiting-- assuming this can't be good news.

I'm in the same boat and yes, I've given up as well. Pepperdine would have been too expensive anyway ;-)

I'm 2/18 with a 160/3.62 and I haven't heard a thing yet.

I'm 2/18 w/ a 171/3.32... still nothing... I would assume with my LSAT score I would be in, but this limbo is killer...

I'm 2/18 as well and have heard nothing..

hungryjumps

Postby hungryjumps » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:50 am

landmanpat wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:
choochoo wrote:Has anybody from the DR 2/18 group heard anything yet??? I'm still waiting-- assuming this can't be good news.

I'm in the same boat and yes, I've given up as well. Pepperdine would have been too expensive anyway ;-)

I'm 2/18 w/ a 171/3.32... still nothing... I would assume with my LSAT score I would be in, but this limbo is killer...

I would be shocked/ aghast if you didn't get in with a 171 LSAT AND a 3.32 GPA. Maybe they're lazy after hump day and prefer to mail things out early next week. In any case, it doesn't hurt to give them a call. They are super responsive and very nice and will tell you when your package was mailed/ will be mailed.

hungryjumps

Postby hungryjumps » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:53 am

the_rad_trad wrote:Call me lazy but...

Timing between "Complete" to "Decision"? I'm sorry, I'm sure you all have answered this at least 5 times each.

Mine was 4 days. Applied 1/26, went Complete on 2/4, Decision Rendered on 2/8, acceptance received in LA on 2/11. Was pretty shocking considering my stats are 3.2/ 163.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:31 am

DR 2/23 no wavenet still and no snail mail. Hoping for tomorrow and if it doesn't arrive then they're definitely delaying their mailings as I am only about an hours drive away from Malibu/LA.

landmanpat

Postby landmanpat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:50 am

adonai wrote:DR 2/23 no wavenet still and no snail mail. Hoping for tomorrow and if it doesn't arrive then they're definitely delaying their mailings as I am only about an hours drive away from Malibu/LA.

Dude, don't expect it tomorrow... DR 2/18 is still waiting on their wavenet and snail mail too...

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:56 am

landmanpat wrote:
adonai wrote:DR 2/23 no wavenet still and no snail mail. Hoping for tomorrow and if it doesn't arrive then they're definitely delaying their mailings as I am only about an hours drive away from Malibu/LA.

Dude, don't expect it tomorrow... DR 2/18 is still waiting on their wavenet and snail mail too...

:oops: Maybe they ran out of stamps...

the_rad_trad

Postby the_rad_trad » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm

hungryjumps wrote:
the_rad_trad wrote:Call me lazy but...

Timing between "Complete" to "Decision"? I'm sorry, I'm sure you all have answered this at least 5 times each.

Mine was 4 days. Applied 1/26, went Complete on 2/4, Decision Rendered on 2/8, acceptance received in LA on 2/11. Was pretty shocking considering my stats are 3.2/ 163.

My stats are slightly lower than yours, and they probably had a crazy influx of applications, so I'm assuming that's why they are taking a little longer with mine. Applied 2/1, I went complete on 2/18. And today is...2/27. I would love to be at Pepperdine.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Dinged today via snail mail.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:24 pm

adonai wrote:Dinged today via snail mail.

You were DR 2/23? Weird that you heard before 2/18 DR people.

Anyhow, sorry about the ding. Good luck with the rest of the cycle!

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
adonai wrote:Dinged today via snail mail.

You were DR 2/23? Weird that you heard before 2/18 DR people.

Anyhow, sorry about the ding. Good luck with the rest of the cycle!

Yeah. But as I stated before I am only an hours drive from Malibu. The letter header says Feb 24, and was postmarked on the 25th. Short, sweet, and to the point. Could seem rather cold to some. Good luck to the rest of you as I will not be returning to this thread...ever.

acrossthepond

Postby acrossthepond » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Does anyone know anything about when admitted students days are? I heard that they had an admitted students BBQ last year. Is that the sort of thing they would e-mail us about? Has anyone been to an admitted students day?

PiPhiJD2013

Postby PiPhiJD2013 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:45 am

hungryjumps wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:

[/quote]

DR 2/18, finally received a letter from Pepperdine...officially waitlisted...sorry 2/18ers....

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Are all DR 2/23'ers still waiting for any type of correspondence from Pepperdine? I'm going with the 'no news is good news' mindset.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Is admitted students day like an orientation (welcoming incoming students and showing them the ropes)? or more like a campus visit (with a tour and info session)?

I dont think I can afford the flight out and am worried by not attending I will be sort of left out (which is not the way I want to start law school) I want to feel like part of the community.

acrossthepond

Postby acrossthepond » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:13 pm

eberl032 wrote:Is admitted students day like an orientation (welcoming incoming students and showing them the ropes)? or more like a campus visit (with a tour and info session)?

I dont think I can afford the flight out and am worried by not attending I will be sort of left out (which is not the way I want to start law school) I want to feel like part of the community.

Isn't Pepperdine one of the schools that will help cover the cost of a visit? I read that elsewhere on TLS and I am pretty sure it was mentioned in my admittance packet.

kbeth18

Postby kbeth18 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Isn't Pepperdine one of the schools that will help cover the cost of a visit? I read that elsewhere on TLS and I am pretty sure it was mentioned in my admittance packet.[/quote]

I believe they cover up to $250 (if not more), but ONLY if you end up attending. You have to keep your receipts, and in they will take it out of your tuition bill.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:06 pm

eberl032 wrote:Is admitted students day like an orientation (welcoming incoming students and showing them the ropes)? or more like a campus visit (with a tour and info session)?

Don't worry its not like Orientation. They have prestigious speakers talk to you about law or the law school; tell/show you why you should choose Pepperdine. Serve you lunch, give you a tour of the school or dorms. Alot of ppl are still undecided there so its more about talking to other applicants about where they got into/are considering rather than bonding over the fact that "all of you will be future pepp students", since only some will be.

They are not dropping secret tips on how to ace law school or anything like that lol. There's no advice on substantive work. Just read Getting to Maybe and try to relax this summer.

The BBQ one poster was talking about is at orientation week and where there is much more bonding, theres a huge park that overlooks the ocean where they have sports and throw bbq's.

For ppl getting waitlisted or tired of waiting, applications are up at least 20% so its a tough cycle for you guys, but there tends to be good movement on the waitlist - send loci's.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 am

Is there also an orientation or something similar later on?

landmanpat

Postby landmanpat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:47 pm

hungryjumps wrote:
landmanpat wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:

I would be shocked/ aghast if you didn't get in with a 171 LSAT AND a 3.32 GPA. Maybe they're lazy after hump day and prefer to mail things out early next week. In any case, it doesn't hurt to give them a call. They are super responsive and very nice and will tell you when your package was mailed/ will be mailed.

Got my waitlist letter today... with a 171/3.32, it is almost definitely a YP... 2 months ago, Pepperdine was pretty much my top choice, but I decided to stay local, so I just turned down my waitlist offer. Good luck to everyone else on the WL...

hungryjumps

Postby hungryjumps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Absolutely and definitely a YP. You deserve better. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”