Pepperdine Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
utilitarianjac

Bronze

Re: Pepperdine

Post by utilitarianjac » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:09 pm

eberl032 wrote:Is there also an orientation or something similar later on?

There is an orientation the week before law school starts. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get to the Admitted Students Day.

LoveSaltLife

New

Post by LoveSaltLife » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 am

WL letter today. 158/3.6

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 am

utilitarianjac wrote:
eberl032 wrote:Is there also an orientation or something similar later on?

There is an orientation the week before law school starts. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get to the Admitted Students Day.
Thanks for this. I feel so much better having justified not being able to go. now I can save the $500 for the big 2000 mile move

Jaded

New

Post by Jaded » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 pm

DR today. No telling how long it will take the letter to get here to michigan.

jgulia45

Bronze

Post by jgulia45 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm

-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acrossthepond

New

Post by acrossthepond » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Just a question, how many of you that have been accepted are certain that you will be attending? I have already paid the deposit and know Pepperdine is where I will be going, just wondering if there was anyone else who had already made up their minds.

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:33 pm

acrossthepond wrote:Just a question, how many of you that have been accepted are certain that you will be attending? I have already paid the deposit and know Pepperdine is where I will be going, just wondering if there was anyone else who had already made up their minds.
Havent paid the deposit, and havent withdrawn from all other schools, but am more than 90% sure I will be attending

kickincane21

Bronze

Post by kickincane21 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:00 pm

I visited Pepperdine on Friday and didn't realize at the time it was the annual dodge ball day. Due to it being Friday afternoon and the game going on, we had to sit in on a 2L/3L Land Use class that only had about 10 students. Wish I could have sat in on a more realistic 1L class, but the teacher seemed extremely nice and friendly (even played in the dodgeball game later) and also teaches 1L classes as well. Every student we passed was in a great mood and after asking if we were on a tour encouraged us to attend. Not sure if it was just an extra happy mood because of the game, but either way it really seemed like a great place to be and pending a few financial scenarios is definitely at the top of my list. I can answer any basic questions about the environment and what not if anyone has any, but probably nothing too specific! PM me is best.

Kase Law

New

Post by Kase Law » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:07 pm

acrossthepond wrote:Just a question, how many of you that have been accepted are certain that you will be attending? I have already paid the deposit and know Pepperdine is where I will be going, just wondering if there was anyone else who had already made up their minds.

ME! I am about 99% sure I am attending. Waiting to hear from UCLA/USC/UCI, but the scholarship money at Pepp has got me pretty convinced that I will be in Malibu. Plus, I have visited twice since my acceptance and fell in love with the area (who wouldn't?!) I'll be at ASD, too! Oh, but I too haven't paid my deposit yet...I'll probably do that soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm also 99% certain I'm going to be attending. The scholly plus the location plus the proximity to one of my top job markets means Pepperdine is looking pretty solid in my eyes...

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:38 pm

For any current Pepperdine students out there, can you translate this for us from "policy speak" to actual real world application? I saw this in the law student handbook posted on the Pepp website:

"Sexual Relationships
Out of concern for the health and safety of members of the university community, and to uphold the moral character of the educational environment, students are expected to make decisions regarding their sexual relationships consistent with the university's Christian philosophy.
The School of Law does not discriminate against any person on the basis of any sexual orientation which such person may have. However, sexual conduct outside of marriage is inconsistent with the school's religious traditions and values. Therefore, as a matter of moral and faith witness, the faculty, staff, and students of the School of Law are expected to avoid such conduct themselves and the encouraging of it in others."

Please tell me there is no actual enforcement of this by the university? I get that they won't extend grad student housing to couples living together who aren't married, but is that the extent of it?

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm

No, never heard of this and definitely no enforcement. Probably just a requirement of a Christian school to say sex out of wedlock is b-a-d, bad. lol.

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm

As an aside, I don't think they are going to be granting married housing to anyone next year. They are getting rid of 6 of the married housing units next year and turning them over to undergraduates. They can make a lot more money that way.

That information might make a difference for someone out there.

But to the question posted above, I would advise you to look into the housing handbook as well. It is against policy for any apartment to have overnight guests of the opposite gender.

Of course, this may be a problem for some people. My advice: don't come. Or at least don't stay on campus.

There are few things more annoying that students who commit to the University and then spend three years complaining about it. I could understand being upset if the University deliberately misled you. But Pepperdine doesn't hide their mission.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 am

Last edited by StyrofoamWar on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 am

Not a whole lotta complaints around these parts. Those who have them are generally malcontents in general.

The biggest complaint that I hear is also what I take to be a benefit of the school. It is not in the thick of the downtown LA action. If you live on campus, it is a bit of a commute to get down into the LA nightlife (somewhere around 20 mins during off hours). If you live off campus and in an area that has more goin on, it takes somewhere around half an hour to get to campus up the PCH.

Bottom line, if you want to be in a vibrant, busy area, you will have to drive a bit more. I prefer to be out of the thick of things a bit, so I live in Calabasas (10-15 mins. away from school). It amounts to the kind of living environment you prefer.

maean11

New

Post by maean11 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:50 am

Anyone looking for a roommate? Living on campus doesn't sound too appealing - four people sharing one bathroom and kitchen...?

I'm thinking about renting a 2 bedroom apartment with someone in Calabasas for around $1500-2000/month.

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 am

maean11 wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate? Living on campus doesn't sound too appealing - four people sharing one bathroom and kitchen...?

I'm thinking about renting a 2 bedroom apartment with someone in Calabasas for around $1500-2000/month.
If I go to Pepperdine I would likely do the same. However, I'd like to live closer to the water. Any suggestions??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 am

Calabasas and Agoura Hills are both nice towns where you can find decent deals on apartments. Obviously, the downside is that you would have to drive through the canyon all the time.

For students who want to live closer to the water, you could head down toward Santa Monica. That puts you closer to L.A. and all that goes with it. Alternatively, you could head up PCH to Point Dume. There isn't much up there, but the beaches are the best.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:51 am

utilitarianjac wrote:Calabasas and Agoura Hills are both nice towns where you can find decent deals on apartments. Obviously, the downside is that you would have to drive through the canyon all the time.
So how is the drive through the canyon? Is it long or narrow or winding or what? Is there much traffic through it? I'm just trying to get a feel for how it will be. I'm from Utah and drive through canyons regularly- some are scary at times, some aren't bad at all. (of course we have snow in the canyons, and there won't be any of that down there)

dbgonzal

New

Post by dbgonzal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:04 pm

I lived both on campus and through the canyon. Its a quick easy drive of about 10 minutes; it gets tedious at times, but no big deal; you can get some traffic around 3:30, but if you live just through the canyon in Agoura or Calabassas its fine; the road is no too windy, about a 4 on a 10 scale.

As far as being scary...not really; other than the occasional slide which would block off the canyon; Unfortunately when that happens class isn't canceled unless access to all three canyon roads are blocked: Kanaan, Las virgenes and Topanga. If only one is blocked then you have to go out of the way to cross through one of the other three.

Hope this helps

Oh, and it snowed two out of the 4 years I was there; the last time there was enough to make snow angels off of Kanaan, which is the canyon road about 3 miles north of Pepp campus. But don't worry, I will guarantee you it will not be anything like Utah. :wink:

Kase Law

New

Post by Kase Law » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:58 pm

maean11 wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate? Living on campus doesn't sound too appealing - four people sharing one bathroom and kitchen...?

I've been debating that too. I've heard it's good to be on campus the first year, but the situation you described doesn't sound all too appealing. I've already looked around Calabasas too, and plan on living there at least years 2 and 3... so possibly! haha. (assuming I do decide to attend Pepp, which is very likely)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maean11

New

Post by maean11 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Kase Law wrote:

I've been debating that too. I've heard it's good to be on campus the first year, but the situation you described doesn't sound all too appealing. I've already looked around Calabasas too, and plan on living there at least years 2 and 3... so possibly! haha. (assuming I do decide to attend Pepp, which is very likely)
Yeah, I'm debating living on campus too because I will be moving from out of state and don't know anyone in CA so I want to have at least one friend when school starts! I talked to Colleen from Admissions and she said the bathroom is really big but I know that four people + 1 shower = fighting over who gets to shower when. I don't want to have to wake up 2 hours early to shower. She also said the kitchen is medium sized, but I've lived in a four bedroom apartment with a medium sized kitchen before, and it is definitely not big enough. I had to put my own food, plates and bowls, pots and pans, in my own bedroom. So, if I can find a roommate to get a 2 bedroom apartment in Calabasas, I'm definitely living off campus! Message me if you're interested!

Italia8183

New

Post by Italia8183 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 pm

2/18 DR, 160 3.71, waitlisted... oh well, i'll be withdrawing.

dysonfree

New

Post by dysonfree » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 am

utilitarianjac

How is OCI? How many 2Ls got offers? How is the economy effecting the job prospects of graduates?

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:22 pm

dysonfree wrote:utilitarianjac

How is OCI? How many 2Ls got offers? How is the economy effecting the job prospects of graduates?
I'm afraid that I'm not the best one to ask about OCI. I'm a joint degree student in the JD/MPP program. From here, I'm going to work on a Ph.D. so that I can be a professor.

Having no interest in becoming a lawyer, I have not gone through the OCI process. Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot about it. There are a couple of other current Pepperdine Law students on TLS that may be able to address your question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”