Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
davidicus

Pepperdine

Postby davidicus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 am

I'm in - anyone else?

sunnygirl

Re: Pepperdine

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:18 am

me, I guess, haven't got the letter yet.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:11 am

think so, status checker went to Decision Rendered and I have >75% numbers. No letter/email yet though.

edit: in with $$$, letter/packet came today.
Last edited by gymboree on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 am

davidicus wrote:I'm in - anyone else?

Congrats. It's a breathtaking campus and the people are nice.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Im in via wave net. haha. got an account and it says my application status is admitted. Although its not 100% because the letter is on its way. I hope I get some $$$

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 am

eberl032 wrote:Im in via wave net. haha. got an account and it says my application status is admitted. Although its not 100% because the letter is on its way. I hope I get some $$$

Did the wavenet said about admitted? I got the account a few days ago as well, but I didn't see anything indicating the admission, but said something like your decision is on the way.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am

-
Last edited by jgulia45 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm

In WaveNet there is a tab called application status. Mine said "Admitted." I still have not recieved the letter though.

I am also waiting to hear about the faculty scholarship that I applied for. I hope to recieve a nice scholly with an acceptance letter this week. If they offer more than 20k I will probably attend.

jgulia45 : Numbers? If you don't want to share, no problem.

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Sorry about a potentially stupid question, but what is wave net? I got a status checker a while back that says complete, but that is it.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Wave Net is an additional thing. At the top right corner of pepperdine law homepage there is a link for it. Basically its an academic resource tool where you can get lots of information about things.

kickincane21 wrote:Sorry about a potentially stupid question, but what is wave net? I got a status checker a while back that says complete, but that is it.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 pm

-
Last edited by jgulia45 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm currently enrolled at Pepperdine. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to try to answer anything about Malibu, the school, life as a 1L, etc.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:I'm currently enrolled at Pepperdine. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to try to answer anything about Malibu, the school, life as a 1L, etc.

You probably hear it alot, but where is the best place to look for apartments?

How involved are the professors and the career service office? Are they on your side trying to get you jobs an internship?

Are the students competitive?

This is a strange question, but at my UG college the parking situation is aweful. Hows parking at Pepperdine?

Thanks for any information.

km23

Postby km23 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 pm

1. Housing

Many 1Ls live on campus (across the street from the law school). The apartments come furnished and the convenience is great. You can maximize your time sleeping, studying, etc.

Another possibility is to live through the canyon in Calabasas. There are several good options among apartment complexes.

Also through the canyon, but a bit farther away, are Agoura, Thousand Oaks, and Westlake Village. All of these are heading away from LA, which makes the drive a little better. You also have several driving routes available to you, which you will appreciate when there are wrecks, fires, mudslides, etc.

Finally, I know of quite a few students who live in Santa Monica. It's about 15 miles away from campus. The drive along PCH is beautiful, but can be frustratingly slow at times.

2. Professors and the Career Services Office

I must say that I am genuinely impressed by the availability of faculty at Pepperdine. The school seems to pride itself on this quality. I will admit that I did not take advantage of professors' open doors as much as I should have in my first year. The professors are willing to talk about class, internships, careers, and life in general.

The Career Services Office is also quite helpful. There is a never ending barrage of email with job updates. There are countless lunch sessions (always with free food). The office makes it very clear that they want to help you find a job (which, of course, is their job). The only downside that I will admit here is that there seems to have been a bit of turnover since I arrived in Fall 2008. It hasn't adversely affected me, but I thought it worth mentioning.

3. Student Competitiveness

As this is law school, students are competitive. After all, we are going to get ranked. That said, I have never seen the competition manifest itself in negative ways. Despite the rigor of law school, the students here seem happy. They get along very well with each other, whether studying or just hanging out.

4. Parking

This depends on who you ask. Parking at Pepperdine is free. If you are early, you will get a spot in the parking lot across the street from the law school. If you are later, you might not be so lucky. Some students will whine and complain about this, but it doesn't have to be bad. There is more than enough parking on campus, and there are free shuttles in constant rotation. You can either park and walk up the hill (which is rather steep), or you can wait a few minutes for the shuttle, and it will let you out right in front of the school.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 am

eberl032 wrote:In WaveNet there is a tab called application status. Mine said "Admitted." I still have not recieved the letter though.

I am also waiting to hear about the faculty scholarship that I applied for. I hope to recieve a nice scholly with an acceptance letter this week. If they offer more than 20k I will probably attend.

jgulia45 : Numbers? If you don't want to share, no problem.

Ha~I finally found the "Admitted" in Wavenet, It seemed that I saw everything but it~

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 am

My status changed to Decision Rendered 1/11...now what? How are you all accessing wavenet before receiving something in the mail? Should I get a phone call or email or something, or does lack of communication mean the 'decision' is a rejection?

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 pm

kickincane21 wrote:My status changed to Decision Rendered 1/11...now what? How are you all accessing wavenet before receiving something in the mail? Should I get a phone call or email or something, or does lack of communication mean the 'decision' is a rejection?

No, dont worry. I got decision rendered on 01/04. Then I got an email for wavenet on like 01/07. My letter came yesterday 01/11.

I just found out i was offered 15k/yr. Its eniticing. I wish it were a bit more. Anyone know if this means I wont get the faculty scholarship?

Congrats to all else who got in.

How much is on campus housing? And if I am moving with my g/f can she live there too?

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 pm

eberl032 wrote:
No, dont worry. I got decision rendered on 01/04. Then I got an email for wavenet on like 01/07. My letter came yesterday 01/11.

I just found out i was offered 15k/yr. Its eniticing. I wish it were a bit more. Anyone know if this means I wont get the faculty scholarship?

How much is on campus housing? And if I am moving with my g/f can she live there too?

Thanks - you just answered all the questions I was about to ask. Decision rendered yesterday...

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:34 pm

eberl032 wrote:
kickincane21 wrote:My status changed to Decision Rendered 1/11...now what? How are you all accessing wavenet before receiving something in the mail? Should I get a phone call or email or something, or does lack of communication mean the 'decision' is a rejection?

From what students told me, on campus housing is pretty expensive. The view from the top of the hill is amazing though.

I *think* there is housing for married couples, but not sure if you'd all qualify for that.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 pm

-
Last edited by jgulia45 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:36 pm

There are a few spots for married students on campus (like 9 or 10). I'm one of the lucky few to live there.

Right now, our apartment is around $1600 a month. Of course, this is absurdly expensive. Back home in TN, that kind of money would be the mortgage payment on a nice home.

The thing to remember is what is included in the $1600 payment: cable, internet, electricity, water, garbage disposal, etc. You are right across the street from school, so you save time and gas money.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Question for anyone in the area? I was looking at apartments and there are some good deals in the Canoga Park, Van Nuys, Northridge area. Is this a long drive to school? Its only like 15-25 miles but through those windy cannon roads...?

Anyone plan on going to ASD on march 26? (i think thats the date)

What are peoples thoughts on the certificates in dispute and in entrepreneur law? Do they hold in value in an interview?

aquanow

Postby aquanow » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 am

I will most likely be headed out there to visit the 26th. Just got in yesterday with 20k/year... still unsure of whether it will be my top pick.

peekay

Postby peekay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:35 am

eberl032 wrote:Question for anyone in the area? I was looking at apartments and there are some good deals in the Canoga Park, Van Nuys, Northridge area. Is this a long drive to school? Its only like 15-25 miles but through those windy cannon roads...?

I grew up close to Pepperdine, and living in the valley in the areas you mentioned, though measurably close, would not be the best of situations. You'd have to either take Topanga Canyon to PCH which can be bruuutal, or take the 101 to Malibu Canyon which can be equally bothersome at times. Most Pepperdine students I know live in Calabasas or north of the campus off PCH near Zuma/Point Dume.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”