Ultimate California Application Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Gold

Ultimate California Application Thread

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:02 am

With all the discussion over CA schools and the state's economy I thought it would be interesting to gather conversations together in one thread. We should also say where we are applying/stats (or whatever) to use it as a CA school tracking thread, too.

Some discussion topics:

- UC tuition hikes
- CA T2s with money versus Davis/Hastings at sticker
- general state of the CA economy and how law schools are faring
- information on OCI/Placement at CA schools
- UC Irvine versus more established options
- Anything else :wink:
Last edited by Veritas on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rw2264

Bronze

Re: Ultimate California Application Thread

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:04 am

hastings is raising in-state tuition 20% next year to $39,000. this makes me want to go to a private school.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 am

So I have applied to:

UC Irvine
UC Davis
UCLA
UC Hastings
UC Berkeley
Loyola
USC
Santa Clara (accepted/8k/withdrew)
USD (accepted)

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 am

Tuition increases:
Hastings:

For simple comparison, Loyola and USD are both at 40k

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:11 am

Irvine is offering at least 1/2 tuition to all students: http://www.law.uci.edu/press_releases/12-21-09.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:11 am

For CA schools, I applied to:

UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Hastings
Loyola
Pepperdine
USC
Santa Clara (11k/year scholarship)

I went to grad school at Pepperdine and undergrad at another school on the list.

-------

Might as well make a substantive post -

A point on UCI -
I think its rise, especially its future employment prospects, will be stronger than many believe. While the market in LA is certainly not wanting for grad and the Orange County market can only take so many without turning down USC/UCLA people, UCI has a majorly underdeveloped ace in the hole - the Inland Empire.

Currently the IE, a region with a population of around 4 million people, only has one law school - La Verne. An area with a population greater than 24 states has only a single ABA law school. I'm not one to disparage schools, but UCI is clearly already more of a powerhouse than La Verne. UCI, compared to LA-area schools, is also much better located to completely dominate the underdeveloped and growing legal market in Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:48 am

TWoodWil wrote:A point on UCI -
I think its rise, especially its future employment prospects, will be stronger than many believe. While the market in LA is certainly not wanting for grad and the Orange County market can only take so many without turning down USC/UCLA people, UCI has a majorly underdeveloped ace in the hole - the Inland Empire.

Currently the IE, a region with a population of around 4 million people, only has one law school - La Verne. An area with a population greater than 24 states has only a single ABA law school. I'm not one to disparage schools, but UCI is clearly already more of a powerhouse than La Verne. UCI, compared to LA-area schools, is also much better located to completely dominate the underdeveloped and growing legal market in Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
I believe Inland Empire just made the news for having one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, and/or the worst housing market. I think was just below Detroit...

I'm aping all the usual:
USC
UCLA
Loyola
Threw an ap at Berkeley to help keep them in business
And did just recently go ahead and submit to UCI

My take on UCI is that once it is accredited and ranked, depending where on the ranking it goes, it does fill a needed hole - people often say there is too much of a drop off after UCLA/USC to the next tier, and don't want to have to go way up to Davis or Hastings. UCI could fill that - though if there was still the cheap instate tuition they really would have killed.

Basically Chapman is a bit miffed, but for now, UCI's classes are pretty small and the future uncdertain - ITE, once the scholarships go, what will happen? Honestly, what will happen with UCLA/Berkeley with the tuition pops, nevermind poor Davis/Hastings, lower T1's with Harvard fees.

To me, Loyola becomes very high up because they give solid $$ for those who can't get them at UCLA/USC. I think the second tier schools may benefit a bit off of all this, and UCI for the moment - honestly, half the price for a UC Law program ITE is very tempting.

It's really sad though to witness the instant destruction of public education in a state that bragged the best.

bananasinpajamas

New

Post by bananasinpajamas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:00 am

does berkeley have locked in rates? (you pay the price all 3 years at the tuition rate at the yr u started)

charcop

New

Post by charcop » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:52 am

bananasinpajamas wrote:does berkeley have locked in rates? (you pay the price all 3 years at the tuition rate at the yr u started)
:shock: Do any of the UCs have locked in rates?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 am

bananasinpajamas wrote:does berkeley have locked in rates? (you pay the price all 3 years at the tuition rate at the yr u started)
Nope. If the rate goes up and you're a continuing student, you pay the new rate.

Berkeley is, for all intents and purposes, becoming a private school. If Berkeley wants to remain an elite school, it's going to have to start offering more merit-based scholarships. Otherwise, too many high-quality applicants, including California residents who in the past would have attended Berkeley because of the relatively cheap in-state tuition, will abandon Berkeley for $$$ at NYU/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 am

i wonder how much hastings will raise the tuition? i was sort of counting on going there because i have a GPA near the median and an LSAT several points above the 75th percentile, i have CA residency and i'll get need-based financial aid/a slice of the limited merit scholarships they have available. but if they're gonna keep raising the rates it's not going to be worth it for me to go public.

and what if in the future the UC system has to suspend LRAP? i'll be fucked as a public interest lawyer making $40k/year with $60-120 k in loans.

the up side: i'll get to occupy something.

another edit: applied to UCLA, USC, UC Hastings. probable WL at the first two. sending a letter along with the third to prove my genuine interest to avoid a YP rejection.
Last edited by rw2264 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:23 am

I've applied to

UC Berkeley
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Hastings
U San Diego
UCLA
USC

my preferences are in that order... I'm out of state from Virginia, my numbers: 3.38/165....

actually it'll be tough to decide between Davis Irvine and Hastings, and I won't get into Berkeley (nor USC and UCLA for that matter... but I've got no inclination to live inside LA)

hopefully UCI will respond in January
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 am

This thread makes me so contented I didn't peruse my wl/acceptance at UC Hastings last cycle...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 am

mistergoft wrote:This thread makes me so contented I didn't peruse my wl/acceptance at UC Hastings last cycle...
how did you know you were accepted if you didn't read the letter? :P

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:34 am

rw2264 wrote:hastings is raising in-state tuition 20% next year to $39,000. this makes me want to go to a private school.
Loyola/USD/Pepperdine/Santa Clara still provide far weaker career prospects than Davis/Hastings. And don't forget about their GPA req's.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:37 am

I love California. I moved here from NYC for UG and I'm never leaving. All people talk about is doom and gloom, but let's be honest: the rest of the country's success is dependent on the success of California. We will make it work.

Anyway, I applied to the following schools in our awesome state:

Stanford (accepted)
UC Berkeley (accepted)
UCLA (accepted with $30K/year scholarship)
USC (accepted -> withdrawn)

jameschae

New

Post by jameschae » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:42 am

Wow! My first reply on TLS.

I've applied to the following CA schools:

UC Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Hastings

My numbers are 3.7 / 165

Im probably out at the first three. I am really interested in UC Irvine. Along with the 50% scholarship, I was interested because of their Korea Law Center. I currently reside in Korea and with the upcoming ratification of the FTA between the two countries, which will increase interaction, I think UCI would be ideal for me. Does anybody have more detailed information about their center?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:46 am

Good point about gpa requirements, loyola gives 37% of students schols, but you have to be in top 1/3 to keep it, so at least 4% lose them, in reality more do - then you are at t2 for sticker

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:49 am

Be aware of Loyola's anti transfer policies

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:53 am

I'm applying to Berk (my top choice), Stanford, UCLA, and USC.

I really want to go to CA but I don't see myself ending up there... I'm not going to get Boalt and Stanford, and I think I'll get one of MVP and maybe NYU which will basically rule out UCLA and USC...

chubbysworld

New

Post by chubbysworld » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:57 am

I'd consider also the 100k in debt you'll be in going to most of these schools. 100k is fine if you get a biglaw job or know for certain that you can get debt repayment through public interest, but otherwise that's a lot of money.

--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:59 am

swheat wrote:
rw2264 wrote:hastings is raising in-state tuition 20% next year to $39,000. this makes me want to go to a private school.
Loyola/USD/Pepperdine/Santa Clara still provide far weaker career prospects than Davis/Hastings. And don't forget about their GPA req's.
i meant somewhere else. what am i to do when GWU lets me in and it costs the same as hastings?! i'm gonna have to live in DC, damnit!

CAHopeful

Bronze

Post by CAHopeful » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 am

Danteshek wrote:Be aware of Loyola's anti transfer policies
Loyola has an anti-transfer policy? Can you explain?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:08 am

CAHopeful wrote:
Loyola 1Ls who ask for recommendation letters or letters of good standing (required to transfer) are disqualified from participation in OCI. Sounds fantastic, but it's true. So if you do well enough at Loyola and want to transfer, there is no looking back.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:09 am

Danteshek wrote:
CAHopeful wrote:
Loyola 1Ls who ask for recommendation letters or letters of good standing (required to transfer) are disqualified from participation in OCI. Sounds fantastic, but it's true. So if you do well enough at Loyola and want to transfer, there is no looking back.
wow, what douchebags.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”