U Penn WAITLIST 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
parker09

Bronze

U Penn WAITLIST 2010

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 am

Thought it would be useful to separate waitlist questions from the general Penn admissions thread, so here we go!

Anyone know how Penn historically has treated its waitlist? Like, is it pretty much a lost cause, or is there still hope, or is there only hope if you cure cancer or stop a genocide, etc? I tried to wade through last year's waitlist thread, and it seems like a few people do get off, but it's a multiple-round process and lasts till the very end.

Also, since I've already graduated and am still going to be at the same job till when I start law school, I'm not sure what kind of updated materials to send them... anyone else in this boat?

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Re: U Penn WAITLIST 2010

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 am

Can we add in any information people know on RD applicants who have been "held" which I believe is a waitlist without calling it a waitlist? Anyone know chances of getting in? Chances of getting money? Any other info?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:14 am

Any advice on getting off the waitlist? I have sent LOCI with updated accomplishments and will be updating my resume.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:46 am

bump!

More WLs went out yesterday, so...

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 am

My waitlist email also mentions an additional essay so if you didn't send either a Why Penn or a 5 year plan, you can send one now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 am

I don't have any updated accomplishments, but I will probably try to work on a nice LOCI this weekend and see if I can get lucky.

squelp

New

Post by squelp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:08 am

Waitlist here too and I wrote a Why Penn essay. They must really not like me.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 am

Yeah, I wrote the Why Penn also.

(Probably dumb) question:

Does a LOCI need to be an actual letter-- like snail-mailed on nice paper? Or can it be an emailed attachment, or in the body of an email?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:34 am

Ohai. I belong here now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:53 am

parker09 wrote:Yeah, I wrote the Why Penn also.

Does a LOCI need to be an actual letter-- like snail-mailed on nice paper? Or can it be an emailed attachment, or in the body of an email?
I'm probably going to write it in letter form, and email it as an attachment along with my response to their waitlist email. But I will also send a hard copy via snail mail.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 am

oneforship wrote:

I'm probably going to write it in letter form, and email it as an attachment along with my response to their waitlist email. But I will also send a hard copy via snail mail.

Oh, eff. I wrote a very brief two-line response to the WL email, figuring that if they weren't going to look at WL files till mid-May, I'd have time to send a LOCI till then...

Or should I be telling them every week that I'm still interested?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am

parker09 wrote:
oneforship wrote:

Oh, eff. I wrote a very brief two-line response to the WL email, figuring that if they weren't going to look at WL files till mid-May, I'd have time to send a LOCI till then...

Or should I be telling them every week that I'm still interested?
I think your strategy is fine as well. I think the general consensus is that once a month is the max for LOCI correspondence, if you really want to work at getting off the waitlist.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 am

I was already planning a trip to NYC next month, and I think I'm going to extend my trip another day and stop in Philly to visit, too. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Does visiting the school help your case? Meeting adcomms in person? :shock:

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Does visiting the school help your case? Meeting adcomms in person? :shock:
I don't know if it will help, but I was already planning a trip to NYC, so just tacked on Philly too. They happen to have an info session one of the days I'll be there, so that's pretty convenient.

doopwooper

Bronze

Post by doopwooper » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:34 pm

ugh got my waitlist email last night. Penn Law is my top choice so I really hope I get in and also find out before the summer..

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:39 pm

WL here also 1/12, withdrew today. Good luck to everyone else!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:43 pm

I should withdraw too but I don't think that helps other people on the WL that much.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:49 pm

I hope by not replying to the waitlist invitation they infer that I'm withdrawing.

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:54 pm

thorntll wrote:I hope by not replying to the waitlist invitation they infer that I'm withdrawing.
They do. The email says if you don't respond by a certain date, like 2/10/10 I think, they will automatically withdraw you.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:22 pm

So I'm working on some points to my LOCI, but I find that a lot of my focus now is quite different from what I wrote in my 5 year plan essay.

What are everyone's thoughts, is it a terrible idea to go in a different direction, or could it be pulled off? For reference, when I wrote my 5 year essay, it was litigation focused, where as now I'm coming up with more business/corporate points. I know the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but it's still a bit of a 180 and I don't want to come off as non-committal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:28 am

oneforship wrote:So I'm working on some points to my LOCI, but I find that a lot of my focus now is quite different from what I wrote in my 5 year plan essay.

What are everyone's thoughts, is it a terrible idea to go in a different direction, or could it be pulled off? For reference, when I wrote my 5 year essay, it was litigation focused, where as now I'm coming up with more business/corporate points. I know the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but it's still a bit of a 180 and I don't want to come off as non-committal.
I sort of left my 5-year plan open with a "I may change my mind, but Penn has the wide breadth of programs/clinics/etc. to accommodate that" slant, with a few specifics about which other clinics I'd be interested in. I think as long as whatever you write ends up still being very Penn-specific, it's probably fine? (Then again, I also got WL-ed, so maybe it wasn't so fine.)

But I defer to anyone who thinks otherwise. Because at this point, I kind of want my entire LOCI to read something like this:

Dear Penn Adcomms:
Columbia and Chicago want me, so SUCK IT!
Cheers, parker09

I'm actually only sort of kidding. I still think I'd take Penn over CC, but don't want to wait till end of May to find out.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 am

parker09 wrote:
oneforship wrote:So I'm working on some points to my LOCI, but I find that a lot of my focus now is quite different from what I wrote in my 5 year plan essay.

I sort of left my 5-year plan open with a "I may change my mind, but Penn has the wide breadth of programs/clinics/etc. to accommodate that" slant, with a few specifics about which other clinics I'd be interested in. I think as long as whatever you write ends up still being very Penn-specific, it's probably fine? (Then again, I also got WL-ed, so maybe it wasn't so fine.)

But I defer to anyone who thinks otherwise. Because at this point, I kind of want my entire LOCI to read something like this:

Dear Penn Adcomms:
Columbia and Chicago want me, so SUCK IT!
Cheers, parker09

I'm actually only sort of kidding. I still think I'd take Penn over CC, but don't want to wait till end of May to find out.
Wow, ok parker if I get into penn can you call columbia and tell them to change my deferral to an acceptance? I'll do the same thing for you at penn. Although, honestly I'm getting more and more excited by the prospect of penn and you know not spending $1500 a month to live in a shoebox.

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 am

I got waitlisted yesterday, thinking about what to send in. I didn't write anything Penn specific in my essay. I don't think I'm really in yield protect territory (+75th LSAT -25th GPA), so I don't know if just expressing interest is going to make any difference.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 am

def2104 wrote: Wow, ok parker if I get into penn can you call columbia and tell them to change my deferral to an acceptance? I'll do the same thing for you at penn. Although, honestly I'm getting more and more excited by the prospect of penn and you know not spending $1500 a month to live in a shoebox.
If you get into Penn, I think I'd also be okay with switching identities.

Penn was originally my top choice, due to its northeast location (everyone I know from UG is in nyc/boston/that area) but lower cost of living. I'd totally give up UofC or CLS for it right now, argh.
bluejayk wrote:I got waitlisted yesterday, thinking about what to send in. I didn't write anything Penn specific in my essay. I don't think I'm really in yield protect territory (+75th LSAT -25th GPA), so I don't know if just expressing interest is going to make any difference.
I've been wondering about this myself... but it can't hurt, right? One theory floating around TLS is that after all the admits make/don't make deposits, schools are going to want to fill their class as soon as possible and will thus be more inclined to take people off the waitlist who they think will actually attend...? So still caring enough to show interest = more likely to attend than someone who didn't care enough to send in the LOCI?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”