Arizona 2010?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wakahaka

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby wakahaka » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:31 pm

amichig wrote:According to someone who spoke with the admissions office about a week ago, while the app status is at "complete" it's actually being reviewed by the committee. Those who have been accepted went straight from complete to admit. I'm thinking committee review may be their secondary reviewing status? That's what I'm hoping as I'm still at complete (and was complete quite early). Guess we'll see.

Yeah, this is what they told me. I never had any sort of "in review"- it said application complete for a few weeks, then went blank for a day, and then said accepted the next day. But it seems like they are doing it differently for everyone.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:27 pm

They asked me for a statement of Why Arizona two days ago. I responded yesterday then today went Committee Review- it may have something to do with the limited seats and non-resident status to send to committee review. Just guessing.

crombot

Postby crombot » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Padimud wrote:They asked me for a statement of Why Arizona two days ago. I responded yesterday then today went Committee Review- it may have something to do with the limited seats and non-resident status to send to committee review. Just guessing.

I just got the same e-mail and just responded as well. I am from Arizona and my whole family lives in Arizona, so I hope that helps the committee....I really want to get back to the desert!

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:44 pm

I got the same e-mail ... (from an Eric Eden). Only, it said, "Dear Mr. Tuski." I am a Ms!!! (and the gender of my name is not ambigous!).

I'm thinking about responding with, "Dear Ms. Eden".... :twisted: I'm kidding. But if I wasn't actually interested in Arizona, I'd be tempted to do that.

Out of curiosity, did everyone get an identical e-mail? "The committee is very impressed with your application, but has asked me to find out why you're specifically interested in AZ" and so on?

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Tuski wrote:I got the same e-mail ... (from an Eric Eden). Only, it said, "Dear Mr. Tuski." I am a Ms!!! (and the gender of my name is not ambigous!).

I'm thinking about responding with, "Dear Ms. Eden".... :twisted: I'm kidding. But if I wasn't actually interested in Arizona, I'd be tempted to do that.

Out of curiosity, did everyone get an identical e-mail? "The committee is very impressed with your application, but has asked me to find out why you're specifically interested in AZ" and so on?

+1

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 pm

I didn't get the email, been "In Review" since 1/5

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:12 pm

What is Tucson like? OK place to live for three years?

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Veritas wrote:I didn't get the email, been "In Review" since 1/5

Veritas: did your app, background or personal statement make it clear why you were interested in AZ specifically? Seems like people who're being asked that question aren't showing under review until they've answered, so looks like somehow you bypassed it.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 pm

I haven't received that email. With that said, I am currently under "Committee Review" as of 1/14.

Arizona's one of my top choices for a few reasons (for one, they're historically supportive toward Peace Corps volunteers, also, after living in an arid/more than just a little warm--daily temp in the cold season is 95--[West Africa] environment for the last two years, going to a warm environment would certainly be in my best interest). So, here's hoping for the best!

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Tuski wrote:I got the same e-mail ... (from an Eric Eden). Only, it said, "Dear Mr. Tuski." I am a Ms!!! (and the gender of my name is not ambigous!).

+1

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 pm

I also have "Committee Review" with a date of 1/14. I never got an e-mail asking specifically why I'm interested in Arizona but I did indicate it a little bit in my application.

wildcatsss

Postby wildcatsss » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:12 am

Hmm apparently I'm not on TLS that often. In response to CloseDiamond's questions:

-I do like the school. The facilities are all new and pretty darn awesome. I had a little trouble feeling "at home" there until about November-ish because my classmates already knew each other from the BRIDGE program (an optional week-long orientation program the week before school starts). About 75% of incoming 1Ls did the BRIDGE program and I have heard that it's not at all necessary academic-wise, it's great for getting a head-start on meeting people. As someone who didn't do it, I would recommend it (I'm not sure what someone who DID do it would say). It also doesn't help that I live about 30-40 minutes from the school (out by Houghton, if you know where that is). If I had a choice, I would live closer. But financially, my mom's house is the only real option for me right now.

-The professors are AWESOME. Seriously awesome. They all encourage students to come see them outside of class, which is easy to do because their offices are right upstairs in the law building. They are always willing to help - some of them even want students to come by just for a cup of coffee/to chat. In the classroom, almost all of them are fun and interesting to listen to. There was only one professor I had last semester that wasn't, and I think that was because he was too smart - he was on Yale Law Review and sometimes had a hard time explaining things to us probably because he had never struggled with understanding something in his life.

-I only know a few 2Ls and 3Ls, but as far as concentrations go, I would say it's pretty spread out. A lot of them want to go into litigation (BigLaw, I guess) and a fair amount are on track to do that. There are also a lot that want to do immigration or indian law - those are both big in AZ.

-Best burrito hmm? I'm glad you said north of 22nd - no one in their right mind goes south of 22nd. Umm Guadalajara Grill is good...so is this one place on the northeast corner of Broadway and Campbell (I'm spacing on the name)...apparently Blink 182 liked that place, hahah. I am also kind of a Nico's whore. Some people I know won't eat there unless it's 2 a.m. and they are wasted, but I like it during daylight hours. One of my goals since moving back to AZ was to find more hole-in-the-wall Mexican places - so far that has been a fail.

wocehtoom

Postby wocehtoom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:36 am

How long did it take from anyone's change of status to "Admitted" until they received the acceptance packet in the mail? It's been 10 days for me and I have nothing

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Tuski wrote:
Veritas wrote:I didn't get the email, been "In Review" since 1/5

Veritas: did your app, background or personal statement make it clear why you were interested in AZ specifically? Seems like people who're being asked that question aren't showing under review until they've answered, so looks like somehow you bypassed it.

not at all, I've never even been to Arizona, I'm from San Diego, which is close and makes my application reasonable.

Mine doesn't say "committee review" just "In Review"

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 pm

Where do you have to be in the class at U of A to have a good shot at BIGDESERTLAW anyways?

Close Diamond

Postby Close Diamond » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Veyron wrote:Where do you have to be in the class at U of A to have a good shot at BIGDESERTLAW anyways?
I think that technically it's Big Semi-Arid Grassland Law. Technically.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 pm

wocehtoom wrote:How long did it take from anyone's change of status to "Admitted" until they received the acceptance packet in the mail? It's been 10 days for me and I have nothing

+1

I'm in the same boat as you, my friend. Saw that I was admitted via status checker as of 1/7, but have yet to see any other evidence of the decision. It's kind of lame that they haven't sent anything yet, especially since I'm in-state.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Close Diamond wrote:
Veyron wrote:Where do you have to be in the class at U of A to have a good shot at BIGDESERTLAW anyways?

Fuck you and your semi-arid grassland too. I knows me a desert when I sees one.

wildcatsss

Postby wildcatsss » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 am

Our career people said top 25%. I'm thinking it's more around top 10% for Biglaw in general. That said, if by BIGDESERTLAW you mean Tucson or Phoenix (not really Biglaw at all), it really might be top 25% - U of A is well respected in Arizona, and career services keeps citing statistics that despite the less-than-ideal economic circumstances, our job placements (whether it be 1L summer or after graduation) have not faltered. I'll believe that when I get a job offer...

Close Diamond wrote:

Nah, it's a desert. My friend texted me this morning and said "HOLY SHIT it's raining!!" It's literally the second time I've seen rain here since I moved back in August.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:19 am

wildcatsss wrote:

Our career people said top 25%. I'm thinking it's more around top 10% for Biglaw in general. That said, if by BIGDESERTLAW you mean Tucson or Phoenix (not really Biglaw at all), it really might be top 25% - U of A is well respected in Arizona, and career services keeps citing statistics that despite the less-than-ideal economic circumstances, our job placements (whether it be 1L summer or after graduation) have not faltered. I'll believe that when I get a job offer...

Close Diamond wrote:

Nah, it's a desert. My friend texted me this morning and said "HOLY SHIT it's raining!!" It's literally the second time I've seen rain here since I moved back in August.

If this is true, the NYU advantage may not be as great as I had hoped, but I think that the top 25% may be optimistic for Phoenix BIGLAW. I think your 10% guestimate is proly more accurate. For Tucson, I bet its a whole 'nother story but I'm not so interested in working down there.

Still, the fact that our instate schools are doing so well just goes to show what would happen if the ABA would ever get off its ass and restrict the # of law schools in other states.

Do any of you guys know what the hiring process is like for AZ firms? Which ones would you say are the top 5 for the state in terms of prestige? It is reeeeely fucking hard to get info on Arizona's legal market.

Edit: Around 115-125k is where I start thinking of Phoenix firms as Biglaw.

crombot

Postby crombot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Veyron wrote:
wildcatsss wrote:

Close Diamond wrote:

If this is true, the NYU advantage may not be as great as I had hoped, but I think that the top 25% may be optimistic for Phoenix BIGLAW. I think your 10% guestimate is proly more accurate. For Tucson, I bet its a whole 'nother story but I'm not so interested in working down there.

Still, the fact that our instate schools are doing so well just goes to show what would happen if the ABA would ever get off its ass and restrict the # of law schools in other states.

Do any of you guys know what the hiring process is like for AZ firms? Which ones would you say are the top 5 for the state in terms of prestige? It is reeeeely fucking hard to get info on Arizona's legal market.

Edit: Around 115-125k is where I start thinking of Phoenix firms as Biglaw.

this link might help: http://www.randyswart.com/LFAZ.htm

Snell & Wilmer is big in AZ in terms of prestige though, as is DLA Piper (although relatively new to the Phx legal market).

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Admitted via status checker about a half hour ago (lol I checked it about an hour ago and I was still "committee review". I'm pretty shocked to find out today considering they wanted on the Why Arizona? statement since I'm out of state, and I just got the reply email this morning stating they had received it.

+1 on anyone know more about the Arizona legal market. Like most state schools, Arizona is highly regarded in the state, but the profile here on TLS sounds a little more optimistic than other some of the other profiles I've read.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Admitted as well via status checker today. I too recently did an Why Arizona statement and wasn't too optimistic about my chances. Good to know.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:23 am

Admitted today. I received the email asking why I was applying to Arizona and answered almost immediately.

:D

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:21 am

ec2xs wrote:Admitted today. I received the email asking why I was applying to Arizona and answered almost immediately.

Same here, I received the email Friday, responded to it Monday & my status was updated to admitted yesterday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”