Arizona 2010?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

fallguy wrote:I got my packet today. 16k/year scholly with in-state tuition, conditional only on remaining in good standing. Quite frankly, I think this offer is better than my numbers deserve. At this point, it will be almost impossible for another school to woo me away from the Cats. My packet didn't say anything about an ASD. Do they typically do one?


I feel the same way, but it never hurts to try for more money :)

fallguy
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby fallguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:34 pm

yo! wrote:
fallguy wrote:I got my packet today. 16k/year scholly with in-state tuition, conditional only on remaining in good standing. Quite frankly, I think this offer is better than my numbers deserve. At this point, it will be almost impossible for another school to woo me away from the Cats. My packet didn't say anything about an ASD. Do they typically do one?


I feel the same way, but it never hurts to try for more money :)


So as it turns out, I am considered a resident for Admissions purposes, but not necessarily for tuition purposes. I called the registrar's office, and they said they're 99.9% sure I am a non-resident. So my offer is not nearly as good as I had thought.

I had no idea one can be a resident for admission but not for tuition. Sucks for me.

cLams
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby cLams » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:36 pm

fallguy wrote:
yo! wrote:
fallguy wrote:I got my packet today. 16k/year scholly with in-state tuition, conditional only on remaining in good standing. Quite frankly, I think this offer is better than my numbers deserve. At this point, it will be almost impossible for another school to woo me away from the Cats. My packet didn't say anything about an ASD. Do they typically do one?


I feel the same way, but it never hurts to try for more money :)


So as it turns out, I am considered a resident for Admissions purposes, but not necessarily for tuition purposes. I called the registrar's office, and they said they're 99.9% sure I am a non-resident. So my offer is not nearly as good as I had thought.

I had no idea one can be a resident for admission but not for tuition. Sucks for me.


That seems REALLY strange. I've never heard anything like that before. Would it at least make it easier for you to get in-state for next year?

User avatar
Asilkman
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Asilkman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm

They love me! Got accepted today via status checker! Now I can join in the conversation with all the rest of you about waiting for scholarship info (I hope).

fallguy
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby fallguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm

cLams wrote:
fallguy wrote:
yo! wrote:
fallguy wrote:I got my packet today. 16k/year scholly with in-state tuition, conditional only on remaining in good standing. Quite frankly, I think this offer is better than my numbers deserve. At this point, it will be almost impossible for another school to woo me away from the Cats. My packet didn't say anything about an ASD. Do they typically do one?


I feel the same way, but it never hurts to try for more money :)


So as it turns out, I am considered a resident for Admissions purposes, but not necessarily for tuition purposes. I called the registrar's office, and they said they're 99.9% sure I am a non-resident. So my offer is not nearly as good as I had thought.

I had no idea one can be a resident for admission but not for tuition. Sucks for me.


That seems REALLY strange. I've never heard anything like that before. Would it at least make it easier for you to get in-state for next year?


I don't know. My scholarship offer says it can be revised if I enter as a non-resident and later gain residency. I wonder if the scholarship is basically designed to offer the in-state rate at full price to an out of state person. I'll find out if they'll pull the scholly if I get residency. If so, my great offer just became very mediocre.

LSAT N00b
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby LSAT N00b » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:02 pm

I was accepted today via status checker.

waverider
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby waverider » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

For those of you who have just been accepted. Do you mind sharing your stats?

cLams
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby cLams » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

waverider wrote:For those of you who have just been accepted. Do you mind sharing your stats?


Accepted 2/4 161, 3.7

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm

163/3.51

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Padimud » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 pm

So as it turns out, I am considered a resident for Admissions purposes, but not necessarily for tuition purposes. I called the registrar's office, and they said they're 99.9% sure I am a non-resident. So my offer is not nearly as good as I had thought.

I had no idea one can be a resident for admission but not for tuition. Sucks for me.[/quote]

That seems REALLY strange. I've never heard anything like that before. Would it at least make it easier for you to get in-state for next year?[/quote]

I don't know. My scholarship offer says it can be revised if I enter as a non-resident and later gain residency. I wonder if the scholarship is basically designed to offer the in-state rate at full price to an out of state person. I'll find out if they'll pull the scholly if I get residency. If so, my great offer just became very mediocre.[/quote]

Your scholarship is based off a percentage. So if you are a non-resident given 25K/year for example and you became a resident in 2L/3L you would receive the same percentage that you received initially (about 70% scholarship of tuition). When you would move to instate you would receive 70% of resident tuition.

fallguy
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby fallguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Padimud wrote:So as it turns out, I am considered a resident for Admissions purposes, but not necessarily for tuition purposes. I called the registrar's office, and they said they're 99.9% sure I am a non-resident. So my offer is not nearly as good as I had thought.

I had no idea one can be a resident for admission but not for tuition. Sucks for me.


That seems REALLY strange. I've never heard anything like that before. Would it at least make it easier for you to get in-state for next year?[/quote]

I don't know. My scholarship offer says it can be revised if I enter as a non-resident and later gain residency. I wonder if the scholarship is basically designed to offer the in-state rate at full price to an out of state person. I'll find out if they'll pull the scholly if I get residency. If so, my great offer just became very mediocre.[/quote]

Your scholarship is based off a percentage. So if you are a non-resident given 25K/year for example and you became a resident in 2L/3L you would receive the same percentage that you received initially (about 70% scholarship of tuition). When you would move to instate you would receive 70% of resident tuition.[/quote]

I appreciate the response. Do you have a link where I can verify?

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Padimud » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Just an e-mail from Allison Nash and my word. That is all the verification I have.

fallguy
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby fallguy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Padimud wrote:Just an e-mail from Allison Nash and my word. That is all the verification I have.



I appreciate it nonetheless.

mposner
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby mposner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Padimud wrote:So as it turns out, I am considered a resident for Admissions purposes, but not necessarily for tuition purposes. I called the registrar's office, and they said they're 99.9% sure I am a non-resident. So my offer is not nearly as good as I had thought.

I had no idea one can be a resident for admission but not for tuition. Sucks for me.


That seems REALLY strange. I've never heard anything like that before. Would it at least make it easier for you to get in-state for next year?[/quote]

I don't know. My scholarship offer says it can be revised if I enter as a non-resident and later gain residency. I wonder if the scholarship is basically designed to offer the in-state rate at full price to an out of state person. I'll find out if they'll pull the scholly if I get residency. If so, my great offer just became very mediocre.[/quote]

Your scholarship is based off a percentage. So if you are a non-resident given 25K/year for example and you became a resident in 2L/3L you would receive the same percentage that you received initially (about 70% scholarship of tuition). When you would move to instate you would receive 70% of resident tuition.[/quote]

This is true. I went through this last year. I was considered a resident for admission but not tuition purposes as well.

waverider
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby waverider » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm

My status has been application received since 12/29. My LOR, transcripts, personal statement has been submitted.

Should I be concerned that it has not yet went complete?

Should I call or email the admissions office about it?

I am not an Arizona resident but I do have ties to the state of Arizona and can certainly see myself wanting to live there long term. I know I should have included a "Why Arizona" addendum, but I didn't. Should I ask the admissions office if I should send one in now or should I just send one in? I really like the University of Arizona, but I not feeling confident
about my chances (3.45,161). So right now I'm thinking that its worth a shot.

What do you think?

User avatar
Close Diamond
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Close Diamond » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 pm

Any ideas on what would make someone a resident for admission and not for tuition?

A Funny Name
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby A Funny Name » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:12 am

Close Diamond wrote:Any ideas on what would make someone a resident for admission and not for tuition?


U of A considers graduates of UA, ASU, and NAU in-state for admissions purposes, but not tuition. According to UA's website, it is slightly easier for Arizona residents to gain admission. Without any background, I am willing to bet this has something to do with the Arizona Board of Regents.

Also, add me to the list of those admitted today via status checker. Sent 12/29/09, complete 1/7(ish), committee review 1/21. I love U of A and will be happy to (hopefully) return.

amichig
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby amichig » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:43 am

Admitted 2/18 - considering I was complete in late October, this was a long wait! I'm here in Tucson, so hoping I will receive packet with $$ info today or tomorrow. Definitely gonig to need some $$ to sway me away from other schools.

AMon2010
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby AMon2010 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:11 am

amichig wrote:Admitted 2/18 - considering I was complete in late October, this was a long wait!


I was admitted 2/18 too (via status checker)... congrats!

Wee-Bey
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Wee-Bey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Out of those admitted so far, how seriously are you considering U of A?
For me, right now it's easily my top choice. And I don't think that any of the schools I'm still waiting on will sway me. If I had to put in in percentages, I'd say I'm 95% certain I'll to be in Tucson come August.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Wee-Bey wrote:Out of those admitted so far, how seriously are you considering U of A?
For me, right now it's easily my top choice. And I don't think that any of the schools I'm still waiting on will sway me. If I had to put in in percentages, I'd say I'm 95% certain I'll to be in Tucson come August.


Extremely close #2. Probably a 40% chance I end up there.

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Padimud » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 pm

I am in a 4-way tie for #1 where i presently sit.. . . so 25% chance.

shawty18ga
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby shawty18ga » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:07 pm

I probably need to withdraw soon. Even with the 16k/year scholly, it still works out to be more than Georgia after COL, so it just doesn't make sense for me.

User avatar
Asilkman
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Asilkman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Wee-Bey wrote:Out of those admitted so far, how seriously are you considering U of A?
For me, right now it's easily my top choice. And I don't think that any of the schools I'm still waiting on will sway me. If I had to put in in percentages, I'd say I'm 95% certain I'll to be in Tucson come August.


My cycle is going really weird and I'm still waiting on a few schools but U of A is pretty high on my list. I'm on the waitlist at Minnesota and am hoping for that to pan out but if it doesn't, very likely I'll be in Tucson.

Adrian_8am
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby Adrian_8am » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Accepted via status checker.

I live in Tucson, do you guys know when I will receive my mail packet? ...

I was admitted 02/18/2010.

Thanks!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, charmonster, extrawatermelon, Google [Bot], lg77, playersball, tinafeyclone and 11 guests