Arizona 2010?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sophistry

Re: Arizona 2010?

Postby sophistry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Admitted today via status checker. My first acceptance! Congrats to everyone else who got in!

roguey

Postby roguey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Congrats!!! When did you apply?

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 pm

how long are most people in "committee review"? i went in today.

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 pm

leraa6587 wrote:how long are most people in "committee review"? i went in today.

I got accepted only two days after going complete. I'm not sure my status ever went to committee review.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 am

roguey wrote:Congrats!!! When did you apply?

I applied mid/late last month and went complete on 1/29. I think my status went directly from "complete" to "admitted," without an "in review" update.

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Has anyone been able to access their admitted student forums? I signed up, but they still won't let me sign in.

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:40 pm

yo! wrote:Has anyone been able to access their admitted student forums? I signed up, but they still won't let me sign in.

No, I haven't been able to either! I'm getting antsy...I heard from someone that UA admissions hasn't set up the forum yet, and that it is expected to be running shortly.

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:50 pm

cLams wrote:
yo! wrote:Has anyone been able to access their admitted student forums? I signed up, but they still won't let me sign in.

No, I haven't been able to either! I'm getting antsy...I heard from someone that UA admissions hasn't set up the forum yet, and that it is expected to be running shortly.

Damn! I'm hoping to talk to some people from the area. Anyone here from Tucson?

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:36 pm

I lived in Phoenix for two months in early 2009, does that help?

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm in Phoenix now for school, but my family is still in Tucson. Shoot me with any questions u have. Best restaurants, places to live, etc...

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:I'm in Phoenix now for school, but my family is still in Tucson. Shoot me with any questions u have. Best restaurants, places to live, etc...

I'm also interested in the quality of life there. I've only been there a couple times briefly, both during summer, and all I really remember was that people were nice and that my shirt was uncomfortably sweaty. Any insight on the weather overall, and more importantly, what the city culture is like (e.g., is there much nightlife? Music scene? Is traffic bad? Any public transportation?)?

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:12 pm

sophistry wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:I'm in Phoenix now for school, but my family is still in Tucson. Shoot me with any questions u have. Best restaurants, places to live, etc...

I'm also interested in the quality of life there. I've only been there a couple times briefly, both during summer, and all I really remember was that people were nice and that my shirt was uncomfortably sweaty. Any insight on the weather overall, and more importantly, what the city culture is like (e.g., is there much nightlife? Music scene? Is traffic bad? Any public transportation?)?

the best thing about tucson weather is that it cools off at night. Sure, it gets pretty toasty during the day, but the temperature drops a ton at night, unlike Phoenix weather where it is hot all day. With the cooling off factor, the weather in Tucson is much more bearable than that of Phoenix. Furthermore, the weather is pretty pleasant for much of the school year. It is pretty hot May, June, July and August, but when u think about it, you are hardly even in school during that time.

There is a lot of culture in Tucson. There are a ton of great restaurants and Fourth Street has a ton to do. Within walking distance of campus there are several bars that offer a good mix of local bars, college hangouts and trendier clubs. There is a lot more to do in Phoenix, obviously, which is about an hour to hour and a half drive away.

Traffic is my biggest issue with Tucson. Although there aren't many cars on the road, the only freeway is the I-10 interstate and the roads aren't set up like a grid, so they curve and it can get confusing. So traffic is nothing if u are just traveling within a few miles of campus, but driving across town is really inconvenient. As for public transportation, there is a bus line, a trolly and a campus shuttle system. However, Tucson isn't much of a public transportation city. The buses are pretty inconvenient. I would recommend bringing a car if u want to live far from campus. Otherwise, I suggest staying close enough to bike or walk to classes.

yo!

Postby yo! » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Awesome! I'll post later when I get off work.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote: ...

Thanks, this is helpful!

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:07 pm

sophistry wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote: ...

Thanks, this is helpful!

No problem. It was kind of a general response, though. If you would like to know something more specific, just let me know. Happy to help!

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 pm

yo! wrote:
cLams wrote:

Damn! I'm hoping to talk to some people from the area. Anyone here from Tucson?

I grew up in Phoenix and currently still live there, and spend a good amount in Tucson because my boyfriend lives there. The city itself isn't spectacular, but I love the university and the natural desert scenery is amazing in my opinion. There is tons of hiking, climbing, biking, etc. My largest complaint is the road systems...only one major freeway and old roads! That doesn't matter too much for students who spend most of their time around the university. I wouldn't mind spending the next three years here!

UAKAVA

Postby UAKAVA » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm currently a graduating senior at the U of A. The university is definitely nice, bars close by (4th ave area, some stuff downtown). The city itself is SPRAWLING, but not very dense. Makes for some crap traffic as some previous posters have said, and worse yet crap drivers. VERY rarely you get a minor dust storm, but most of the time it is all blue sky and hot. The area around the university isn't so great though, lots of bums and petty crime. Every other person at this school is from California, Jersey or Chicago but overall people are pretty chill. Strong greek life (won't matter to you guys, was a great four years for me :wink: ) and good facilities, including a massively expanded rec center that just opened this semester. One thing about Tucson though is that once you drive maybe 2-3 miles from the U of A or downtown there is NOTHING but houses, strip malls and restaurants. Finally if you love mexican food then you are golden out here there is some seriously awesome mexican all over the place. Burrito vans, carts, hole in the wall restaurants, mom and pop joints and upscale dining. Just don't expect anything like Phoenix in terms of stuff to do or places to shop.

totebags

Postby totebags » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 pm

In today via status checker! 162, 3.48

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:35 pm

totebags wrote:In today via status checker! 162, 3.48

Congrats tote! It seems that many of us from the L&C thread have also moved into here! Where is AZ on your list?

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Damn, I didn't realize the were giving out scholly's in the admissions packet...I feel unloved. 167/3.6x and not money at all.

BTW I got the "Why Arizona" email as well and was admitted soon after sending it in.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Deleted

totebags

Postby totebags » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:20 pm

yo! wrote:

Congrats tote! It seems that many of us from the L&C thread have also moved into here! Where is AZ on your list?

Thanks! AZ is second on my list at this point, but my list isn't very long, ha. To be honest, I only applied to AZ because of the fee waiver. While I'm totally psyched that I was accepted, it's unlikely that I'll attend. Let's see if I get a scholly offer. :)

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:28 pm

totebags wrote:
yo! wrote:

Thanks! AZ is second on my list at this point, but my list isn't very long, ha. To be honest, I only applied to AZ because of the fee waiver. While I'm totally psyched that I was accepted, it's unlikely that I'll attend. Let's see if I get a scholly offer. :)

I also applied bc of the CRS waiver, but they gave me 16k per yr. I'm gonna see if they will bump to 20. If they do, I'm as good as enrolled.

fallguy

Postby fallguy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:10 pm

I got my packet today. 16k/year scholly with in-state tuition, conditional only on remaining in good standing. Quite frankly, I think this offer is better than my numbers deserve. At this point, it will be almost impossible for another school to woo me away from the Cats. My packet didn't say anything about an ASD. Do they typically do one?

Eisaiahm

Postby Eisaiahm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Sent in Why Arizona email today.
I hope this means good news.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”