Cooley PEP program

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ISABELLA175

Re: Cooley PEP program

Postby ISABELLA175 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Nixon wrote:I ALSO ATTENDED COOLEYS PEP PROGRAM. I ATTENDED THE PEP PROGRAM ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO AND I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS REALLY GOOD. ESSENTIALLY IT IS LIKE GOING TO LAW SCHOOL FOR A WEEK FOR FREE, AND IT MEANS THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO WORK HARD AT YOUR GPAS OR IF YOU DONT TEST WELL IT MEANS THAT THE LAW SCHOOL STILL GIVES YOU A SHOT.

BASICALLY I WENT TO THE HOTEL IN LANSING I THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY COOL. THEY REALLY TREAT YOU RIGHT. THEY FED US AND WE HAD A PLACE TO STAY. ACTUALLY WHEN YOU GET THERE THEY HAVE SUBMARINE SANDWICHES WAITING FOR YOU. WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE IT WAS A LONG DRIVE TO LANSING. THE HOTEL HAS A SWIMMING POOL, WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A NICE TOUCH. THE THING ABOUT THE CLASS IS THAT THEY GIVE YOU A LOT OF READING TO DO, AND IT WAS PRETTY INTERESTING. THEY ALSO GIVE YOU HOMEWORK. IT WAS A LOT LIKE HIGH SCHOOL, TO BE FRANK. BUT I WAS MORE INTERESTED IN READING THE CASES THAN I WAS IN WRITING ABOUT THEM.

I WAS NOT ACCEPTED AFTER THE PEP PROGRAM UNFORNTUNATELY BUT I AM GOING TO RE-APPLY THIS CYCLE. I AM HAPPY THAT THEY GAVE ME A CHANCE AND I WOULD DEFINATELY GO BACK. SOME DAY I HOPE TO GET MY JD, HOPEFULY FROM THE THOMAS M. COOLEY SCHOOL OF LAW. THEY GET A POSITIVE REVIEW FROM ME. IF YOU DONT LIKE COOLEY WELL THATS YOUR OPINION BUT ITS JUST THAT, AN OPINION.

Did they tell you why you didnt get in??? i just got back and now im nervous after reading this... : (

ISABELLA175

Postby ISABELLA175 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Failure is accepting life below your potential.

LadyLaw34

Postby LadyLaw34 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 pm

I attended the PEP program at Cooley in 2009. I was accepted and I am in my last term of classes right now. The program is difficult and that is only the beginning. If you get through it and you are accepted...well, let me say this...make absolutely sure this is what you want to do. It is no cake walk.

And before anyone begins bashing me, there are several reasons I ended up in the situation that led me to Cooley most of them being stupidity in my 20's. My GPA suffered severely in undergrad and it hurt me. I was not keen on the idea of Cooley, but I would be willing to bet that the curriculum I have endured for the last two years is at the very least equivalent to anything heaped on top tier students.

The curve at Cooley is a beast. I have managed to maintain a good GPA, but most of the people who were accepted in the PEP class I was in did not survive. Many were out after their first term. It is possible you would be better off re-taking the LSAT and trying to get into a different school, I really can't speak to that issue. I have no idea how other schools work. But I do know that the curriculum here is demanding, to say the least. The fear mongering begins immediately and I personally find most of it to be unwarranted, but do not misunderstand...it is difficult. First year is the year they will get you out, if you are not cut out for it, you will not survive it.

If you go to the program, do not take it lightly. If you dedicate yourself to the work for that week, you should be fine. You will stay in a hotel for about a week on them, they will feed you, and you will not sleep much. You will have alot of reading to do, you will sit through tort lectures for several days and you will do some kind of study training crap in the afternoons. I don't remember all of it, but I do remember that all I wanted was to get into law school. I slept little, ate little, and studied a lot. I did the paperwork they asked for, I took the test they administer at the end and about a month later I received an e-mail that I had been accepted.

I wish you luck and I hope you are successful in your endeavor.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:03 am

ISABELLA175 wrote:
Nixon wrote:I ALSO ATTENDED COOLEYS PEP PROGRAM. I ATTENDED THE PEP PROGRAM ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO AND I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS REALLY GOOD. ESSENTIALLY IT IS LIKE GOING TO LAW SCHOOL FOR A WEEK FOR FREE, AND IT MEANS THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO WORK HARD AT YOUR GPAS OR IF YOU DONT TEST WELL IT MEANS THAT THE LAW SCHOOL STILL GIVES YOU A SHOT.

BASICALLY I WENT TO THE HOTEL IN LANSING I THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY COOL. THEY REALLY TREAT YOU RIGHT. THEY FED US AND WE HAD A PLACE TO STAY. ACTUALLY WHEN YOU GET THERE THEY HAVE SUBMARINE SANDWICHES WAITING FOR YOU. WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE IT WAS A LONG DRIVE TO LANSING. THE HOTEL HAS A SWIMMING POOL, WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A NICE TOUCH. THE THING ABOUT THE CLASS IS THAT THEY GIVE YOU A LOT OF READING TO DO, AND IT WAS PRETTY INTERESTING. THEY ALSO GIVE YOU HOMEWORK. IT WAS A LOT LIKE HIGH SCHOOL, TO BE FRANK. BUT I WAS MORE INTERESTED IN READING THE CASES THAN I WAS IN WRITING ABOUT THEM.

I WAS NOT ACCEPTED AFTER THE PEP PROGRAM UNFORNTUNATELY BUT I AM GOING TO RE-APPLY THIS CYCLE. I AM HAPPY THAT THEY GAVE ME A CHANCE AND I WOULD DEFINATELY GO BACK. SOME DAY I HOPE TO GET MY JD, HOPEFULY FROM THE THOMAS M. COOLEY SCHOOL OF LAW. THEY GET A POSITIVE REVIEW FROM ME. IF YOU DONT LIKE COOLEY WELL THATS YOUR OPINION BUT ITS JUST THAT, AN OPINION.

Did they tell you why you didnt get in??? i just got back and now im nervous after reading this... : (

You should be nervous, but not because of the caps lock freak. He's obviously a troll.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:48 am

LadyLaw34 wrote:I attended the PEP program at Cooley in 2009. I was accepted and I am in my last term of classes right now. The program is difficult and that is only the beginning. If you get through it and you are accepted...well, let me say this...make absolutely sure this is what you want to do. It is no cake walk.

And before anyone begins bashing me, there are several reasons I ended up in the situation that led me to Cooley most of them being stupidity in my 20's. My GPA suffered severely in undergrad and it hurt me. I was not keen on the idea of Cooley, but I would be willing to bet that the curriculum I have endured for the last two years is at the very least equivalent to anything heaped on top tier students.

The curve at Cooley is a beast. I have managed to maintain a good GPA, but most of the people who were accepted in the PEP class I was in did not survive. Many were out after their first term. It is possible you would be better off re-taking the LSAT and trying to get into a different school, I really can't speak to that issue. I have no idea how other schools work. But I do know that the curriculum here is demanding, to say the least. The fear mongering begins immediately and I personally find most of it to be unwarranted, but do not misunderstand...it is difficult. First year is the year they will get you out, if you are not cut out for it, you will not survive it.

If you go to the program, do not take it lightly. If you dedicate yourself to the work for that week, you should be fine. You will stay in a hotel for about a week on them, they will feed you, and you will not sleep much. You will have alot of reading to do, you will sit through tort lectures for several days and you will do some kind of study training crap in the afternoons. I don't remember all of it, but I do remember that all I wanted was to get into law school. I slept little, ate little, and studied a lot. I did the paperwork they asked for, I took the test they administer at the end and about a month later I received an e-mail that I had been accepted.

I wish you luck and I hope you are successful in your endeavor.

Congrats on being almost done. Do you have a job lined up?

RaydenBlack

Postby RaydenBlack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:43 am

I attended this program and at first I thought it was going to be the pits, but it was the most awesome experience in my life. First the put you up in a nice hotel (and when I say nice I mean it is nice) with wonderful service/restaurants inside so no need to leave.

You go through a meet and greet the first day, and you basically block off the world (if you want to pass) for a test run of what law school is about.

A teacher from their school comes in and teaches about the 7 intentional torts, and you are given assignments to complete. Many students came unprepared even though the material was mailed months in advanced to them, and as a result they are not at Cooley.

Study the materials and take very good notes. Don't just know the cases, know how they apply to the subject you are learning and be able to recall them.

From there you take a final and a quiz and you wait for admissions. You are being watched the entire time you are in the program. Every move you make, being caught on your phone, partying in your room, drunk in public... all is being watched. Conduct yourself professionally and do what you must, and you will get in.

On the Friday of your trip you visit the school and meet with students who made it in.

A PEP Student was the valedictorian of Cooley's last class, so thank God for their vision and your second chance. This program is of no cost to you, so if you go and decide to transfer later they will want their $1,000 (cost of program and putting you up nicely) back. It is an excellent program. Glad I went even though I got 2 other offers, and now COOLEY IS MY #1 choice, and I am glad to be starting.

Best of luck to all future PEP Students because just like me, one day I was reading these forms. Just remember you must work hard!

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:02 am

RaydenBlack wrote:I attended this program and at first I thought it was going to be the pits, but it was the most awesome experience in my life. First the put you up in a nice hotel (and when I say nice I mean it is nice) with wonderful service/restaurants inside so no need to leave.

You go through a meet and greet the first day, and you basically block off the world (if you want to pass) for a test run of what law school is about.

A teacher from their school comes in and teaches about the 7 intentional torts, and you are given assignments to complete. Many students came unprepared even though the material was mailed months in advanced to them, and as a result they are not at Cooley.

Study the materials and take very good notes. Don't just know the cases, know how they apply to the subject you are learning and be able to recall them.

From there you take a final and a quiz and you wait for admissions. You are being watched the entire time you are in the program. Every move you make, being caught on your phone, partying in your room, drunk in public... all is being watched. Conduct yourself professionally and do what you must, and you will get in.

On the Friday of your trip you visit the school and meet with students who made it in.

A PEP Student was the valedictorian of Cooley's last class, so thank God for their vision and your second chance. This program is of no cost to you, so if you go and decide to transfer later they will want their $1,000 (cost of program and putting you up nicely) back. It is an excellent program. Glad I went even though I got 2 other offers, and now COOLEY IS MY #1 choice, and I am glad to be starting.

Best of luck to all future PEP Students because just like me, one day I was reading these forms. Just remember you must work hard!

So close. You were SO CLOSE.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 am

oh my. please, please do not go to cooley. Very few people do not have the potential to get a 160+ on the lsat. I know that study sucks at first, but just get on the lsat prep forum, buy some materials, and self study to a great score! Just try ok!

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 am

RaydenBlack wrote:A PEP Student was the valedictorian of Cooley's last class, so thank God for their vision and your second chance.

Where is this valedictorian working, and how much debt doe he have?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:35 pm

mattviphky wrote:oh my. please, please do not go to cooley. Very few people do not have the potential to get a 160+ on the lsat. I know that study sucks at first, but just get on the lsat prep forum, buy some materials, and self study to a great score! Just try ok!

Wow, very few people don't have the potential to score in the top 20% of the LSAT (and thereby scoring better than the majority of test takers). Even if it was a technically true statement, I don't know what purpose would that serve. What are you trying to say, the 3 out of 4 people taking the test are just not trying?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 am

I don't know about the PEP program, but Cooley is a joke. Why go there when it is notorious for being the easiest school to get into in the country? Law is largely based on reputation and rapport. This comes from someone who has actually been in the real world.

I'd say if you can't get above a 150 on the LSAT (as a minimum), you should consider other career options...there is a reason why it is a good indicator of your success. More than that, it is a good indicator of whether you would actually enjoy the career.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 am

r6_philly wrote:. What are you trying to say, the 3 out of 4 people taking the test are just not trying?
[

Yes, this is what I am saying. However, I think with the right prep many many more people could get much better scores. I guess I don't mean the majority of them, when I said that few people can't score above 160 I was just trying to be motivating...but still, I think many people can do much better if they put forth some effort

cooleypepstudent

Postby cooleypepstudent » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:38 pm

I was accepted to Cooley’s PEP program for the Summer 2012 semester. It consisted of 2 classes: Torts and Legal Writing.

I am here to tell you that you will have to study your butt off to pass. The passing rate varies from each year (last year it was 60%).

I was the few lucky ones.

Email me anytime at SPAM REMOVED

I can provide free tips and tricks. Good Luck. I'm here to help because I've been through this rigorous program.

-Former COOLEY PEP STUDENT

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:37 pm

cooleypepstudent wrote:I was accepted to Cooley’s PEP program for the Summer 2012 semester. It consisted of 2 classes: Torts and Legal Writing.

I am here to tell you that you will have to study your butt off to pass. The passing rate varies from each year (last year it was 60%).

I was the few lucky ones.

Email me anytime at SPAM REMOVED

I can provide free tips and tricks. Good Luck. I'm here to help because I've been through this rigorous program.

-Former COOLEY PEP STUDENT

Cooley plant...?

aarias11

Postby aarias11 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:05 pm

mattviphky wrote:
r6_philly wrote:. What are you trying to say, the 3 out of 4 people taking the test are just not trying?
[

Yes, this is what I am saying. However, I think with the right prep many many more people could get much better scores. I guess I don't mean the majority of them, when I said that few people can't score above 160 I was just trying to be motivating...but still, I think many people can do much better if they put forth some effort

What of course most people could score above a 160 the LSAT is a beatable test. Thats why you have the nerd patrol studying for years and with tutors to try and hit the 170s. Don't get me wrong its a worthy investment, but its not really about "potential" more like time and dedication.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Everyone needs to stop craping on people here. Life is more than what law school you go to. Some people here make it sound like this is all that matters. You're pathetic. If someone wants to go Cooley what is it your business?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:42 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:If someone wants to go Cooley what is it your business?

it hurts to see people throw so much away for so little.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:13 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Everyone needs to stop craping on people here. Life is more than what law school you go to. Some people here make it sound like this is all that matters. You're pathetic. If someone wants to go Cooley what is it your business?

I'll tell you. These diploma mill, industrial, "non-profit" in name only, law schools are producing lawyers that leave with tons of $$$ in fed-aid debt that American tax payers get screwed for. Everyone wants to be something, hell, I want to be an astronaut! You should all be happy that becoming one isn't as simple as becoming a lawyer because I'd be the spaceman equivalent to these people who suck fed-fin-aid out of the system like a vampire sucks blood from a human. $1 trillion ++++ in student loan debt. It is schools like these that are the worst offenders. Yes, the fed should reorganize its fin-aid policies, but these law students, in large number, use valuable fed-aid to GO NOWHERE! Get it?

Should we as a society use valuable, no, endangered!, resources to produce more shitlaw paper-pushers? I know, I know, someone from Harvard could just as easily "waste" precious fed-aid. However, they don't do it in such large percentages. So I ask you; how is it not my business?

Guess I'm the asshole, huh? I can't blame the system on the people, but I can blame the people for taking advantage of a flawed system, especially when many, not all, are too willingly ignorant to perceive the difference between hope and reality. On the other hand, there seem to be people who think it is fine to spend tens of thousands of dollars, go into debt $100+++K knowing that 99% of the positions that will be available to them upon graduation won'y pay half that. Is it any wonder why America is turning into an economic toilet...?

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:27 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Everyone needs to stop craping on people here. Life is more than what law school you go to. Some people here make it sound like this is all that matters. You're pathetic. If someone wants to go Cooley what is it your business?

I'll tell you. These diploma mill, industrial, "non-profit" in name only, law schools are producing lawyers that leave with tons of $$$ in fed-aid debt that American tax payers get screwed for. Everyone wants to be something, hell, I want to be an astronaut! You should all be happy that becoming one isn't as simple as becoming a lawyer because I'd be the spaceman equivalent to these people who suck fed-fin-aid out of the system like a vampire sucks blood from a human. $1 trillion ++++ in student loan debt. It is schools like these that are the worst offenders. Yes, the fed should reorganize its fin-aid policies, but these law students, in large number, use valuable fed-aid to GO NOWHERE! Get it?

Should we as a society use valuable, no, endangered!, resources to produce more shitlaw paper-pushers? I know, I know, someone from Harvard could just as easily "waste" precious fed-aid. However, they don't do it in such large percentages. So I ask you; how is it not my business?

Guess I'm the asshole, huh? I can't blame the system on the people, but I can blame the people for taking advantage of a flawed system, especially when many, not all, are too willingly ignorant to perceive the difference between hope and reality. On the other hand, there seem to be people who think it is fine to spend tens of thousands of dollars, go into debt $100+++K knowing that 99% of the positions that will be available to them upon graduation won'y pay half that. Is it any wonder why America is turning into an economic toilet...?

Bump

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”