Cooley PEP program Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bbmela

New

Cooley PEP program

Post by bbmela » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:09 pm

So has anyone attended Cooley's PEP program? I'm going to be doing it in 3 weeks. I was curious as to what to expect.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Re: Cooley PEP program

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:20 pm

bbmela wrote:So has anyone attended Cooley's PEP program? I'm going to be doing it in 3 weeks. I was curious as to what to expect.
Flame.

bbmela

New

Post by bbmela » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Actually, I'm very serious, thank you. There's nothing wrong with it. I'm not quite sure how to prove that to you, but whatever.

So if anybody *else* out there has an answer, it'd be appreciated,

hjr999

New

Post by hjr999 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:15 pm

Don't worry, this forum is full of over-achievers, anyway. They cry about 160 scores and 3.5 GPA's, clueless about the real world of the legal profession, dump their entire hopes of any career upon the piece of paper they'll later learn to wipe their ass with, their to-be-diploma, regimenting paper upon paper for some two-bit cocksucker on Wall Street who doesn't give a fuck about them.

Congrats kid. Go to the program if and only it's your only option. My advice? Buy a book or audiobook on how to sell yourself, how to negotiate, and a magazine about fashion/hygiene. Learn to shake hands firmly, and you'll be climbing the ranks in no time.

Good luck. 8)

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:45 pm

hjr999 wrote:Buy a book or audiobook on how to sell yourself, how to negotiate, and a magazine about fashion/hygiene. Learn to shake hands firmly, and you'll be climbing the ranks in no time.
\
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
hjr999 wrote:Buy a book or audiobook on how to sell yourself, how to negotiate, and a magazine about fashion/hygiene. Learn to shake hands firmly, and you'll be climbing the ranks in no time.
\
lol
+1 lol

I also like the assumption that no one on here has any clue what the real legal profession is like haha

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:03 pm

What's certainly not an assumption is that a number of people here are fonder of pissing on someone's dream or generally ridiculing them rather than helping them out when they ask a question.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Generally when someones first post is about Cooley it's a flame, no disrespect meant. Sorry. I know nothing about Cooley's pep program.

ChrisC

New

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Out of curiosity, what is this program?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

I was curious, too.
Grantee: Thomas Cooley Law School
Project Title: Professional Exploration Program: Increasing the Enrollment and Success of Students Who are Underrepresented in Law School
Amount Funded: $277,000
Category: Direct services to students and families; Education research
Award Year: FY 2007

Through TG funding, the grantee expanded its pilot program, called the Professional Exploration Program (PEP). A law school qualification program, PEP is based on skills instruction, performance on a substantive law test, and student self-evaluation of their "fitness" to study the law. Twelve hours of skills training, nine hours of substantive law instruction, and academic and career testing are the major components of the program. Participants are evaluated by a PEP governing committee and accepted or not accepted into the law school based on their performance at PEP. Students considered for PEP are those who applied to the Law School and do not meet the criteria for regular or alternative admission. TG funding accelerated the law school's ability to give access to more underrepresented students.
OP: Does this mean you'd likely pay sticker at Cooley if you got in? If so, be very, very careful. I understand if you want to go to law school no matter what, but it would probably behoove you to retake the LSAT and apply to new schools next year. I'm pretty certain that Cooley has a horrible forced attrition rate, too, which should factor into your decision. Good luck!

llawguru

New

Post by llawguru » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:34 am

PEP program is for those who can't score above 143 on the LSAT. Thus Cooley rejected them and are making them take this program to be considered for admission.

llawguru

New

Post by llawguru » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 am

This guy got in with a 139 on his LSAT

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Greg212NJ/jd

Thank goodness for the PEP program.

llawguru

New

Post by llawguru » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:58 am

The end result.

Cooley grad after court.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:15 am

llawguru wrote:This guy got in with a 139 on his LSAT

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Greg212NJ/jd

Thank goodness for the PEP program.
That's why you don't major in "Legal Studies." If it turns out you can't score higher than 139 on the LSAT, you have to go to Cooley.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:21 am

LSATfromNC wrote:
bbmela wrote:So has anyone attended Cooley's PEP program? I'm going to be doing it in 3 weeks. I was curious as to what to expect.
Flame.
Either way, there's virtually no chance that this ends with a constructive thread.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 pm

llawguru wrote:PEP program is for those who can't score above 143 on the LSAT. Thus Cooley rejected them and are making them take this program to be considered for admission.
Sweet Christ...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Some people on this forum need to grow up. Worry about schools you're actually applying to or interested in, don't waste your time putting down schools just because everyone else is doing it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Oli wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
llawguru wrote:PEP program is for those who can't score above 143 on the LSAT. Thus Cooley rejected them and are making them take this program to be considered for admission.
Sweet Christ...
Bumping this thread 1 month later is an ultimate fail
Sorry man just couldn't believe it.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:25 pm

The only thing thats more annoying than Cooley jokes?

People who boost their ego hating on Cooley.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:32 pm

BruceBarr wrote:The only thing thats more annoying than Cooley jokes?

People who boost their ego hating on Cooley.
+1
poor poor suckers

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:51 pm

TLS is pretty sad for the fact that many users on here need to temper their insecurities by making fun of other users who attend lower "ranked" schools. It is a very poor way of living if the only way you can make yourself feel better is by ridiculing those who didn't have a high enough GPA or LSAT score or didn't go to school at HYS.

I understand this is top law school forum but, still, have some consideration and class. Not everyone could attend the best schools. Not everyone had mommy and daddy bankroll them for tutors and LSAT classes. Not everyone came from a family of doctors and lawyers. Everyone needs to cool off with the snobbery. 5 or 10 years from now, nobody is going to care what you got on the LSAT or where you attended law school. It'll only matter if whether or not you pass the BAR and are a certified lawyer. I highly doubt that 4 years from now, the same people ridiculing OP are going to even remember TLS, let alone trolling on it. Grow up!

Law school is temporary. Class is permanent.
Last edited by ATOIsp07 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
Law school is temporary. Class is permanent.

big fat +1

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:12 pm

:lol:
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:I agree elitism=lame. But unrealistic optimism is just as bad. Like it or not, prestige matters in the legal world.
Not to the extent of, "you can't land big law unless you go to HYS and are in the top 10%" or "you have a 3.5/165? You're going to have to settle for a T30". Yes, where you go to school can matter but I feel that people on this board, especially the wet-behind-the-ears 0Ls, take it too far in judging/ridiculing people's lives. Who are they to say who can achieve what?

I'm also fairly certain that, after your first job, a law school's name really doesn't matter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”