Cooley PEP program Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darknightbegins

Silver

Re: Cooley PEP program

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Always Credited wrote:
lawgod wrote:really, this thread is very un-TLS.
By bashing cooley, you are basically admitting that you aren't in a position to bash non HYS, non T-14s, non T20s... you can't even bash T3s
I bash any and all regionally weak, $40k+ tuition, high-attrition institutions.
This. I don't bash on a school that is a TTT or TTTT just because it is TTT or TTTT but Cooley is an exception. It is the perfect storm of everything that is wrong about law schools. Weak employment prospects after graduation, crushing debt, sky high attrition, questionable quality of education.

The only other Law School I hate on like Cooley is fucking Florida A&M. This being said, again, no reason to bring back a thread that was long dead.

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Thu May 13, 2010 6:46 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
By bashing cooley, you are basically admitting that you aren't in a position to bash non HYS, non T-14s, non T20s... you can't even bash T3s
This. I don't bash on a school that is a TTT or TTTT just because it is TTT or TTTT but Cooley is an exception. It is the perfect storm of everything that is wrong about law schools. Weak employment prospects after graduation, crushing debt, sky high attrition, questionable quality of education.

The only other Law School I hate on like Cooley is fucking Florida A&M. This being said, again, no reason to bring back a thread that was long dead.
Add Golden Gate to that list!

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:49 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

Why FAMU? I know its a new school and is still working some things out but is it really that bad?

law123456

New

Post by law123456 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:50 pm

I like this thread. It makes all the other schools look good. Finally, not everyone has to go to T14 or feel like a loser

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 pm

merichard87 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

Why FAMU? I know its a new school and is still working some things out but is it really that bad?
The only thing good about it is that it is cheap so it doesn't belong in the Cooley camp. Look up the stats on it, I let me USNWR subscriptiong expire so I can't pull them up right now but I remember it being pretty bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 13, 2010 6:57 pm

law123456 wrote:I like this thread. It makes all the other schools look good. Finally, not everyone has to go to T14 or feel like a loser
No one needs to feel like a loser based on where they go to school. I don't hate the students of Cooley, I just hate the school for what it does to its students.

davis900

New

I went to PEP and here is my warning...

Post by davis900 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:15 pm

Hello all,

I found this thread and I felt the need to respond for the sake of anyone who reads this thread…or for anyone who would ever consider doing thomas cooley law school’s PEP Program.

Two years ago I went to Lansing, Michigan and attended this thomas cooley PEP Program. You see, I scored poorly on my LSAT the first time around--I did zero prep and was young and dumb (in my early 20’s) and took this test for granted. After scoring miserably on my LSAT (I had a decent LSAC UGPA of 3.5), I was solicited by thomas cooley to attend this program. They asked me to mail them back a check for $100.00 and that would secure my spot at this week long PEP Program. I mailed back the check and then received a very large packet in the mail. The packet also included 2 different personality tests that you were asked to take—I thought that was very weird.

After receiving my packet, I was told in the enclosed letter to brief around 30-40 cases and have them done before my arrival in Lansing. They typically give you about a month to do this before the start of your PEP program. The cases were all based on Intentional and Property Torts. You were advised to have this all completed before arrival and be prepared to answer questions in a classroom setting by law professors. I had somewhere between 15-20 people in my class (most of whom were URM’s from middle to lower class economic backgrounds).

You are put up in a hotel for a week by Cooley Law. You eat, breathe and hang out with the same people all week at this hotel. You arrive on a Sunday afternoon, begin class the next day (Monday) and leave the following Sunday morning (after your “final exam”). The only time that you actually leave the hotel is to tour the school on the Friday before you leave.

When you tour the school that Friday, you meet one of the Deans, a lot of 1L’s and sit in on a real Torts class. The school holds a small luncheon for the PEP participants and they review your personality test results in a classroom with you (a psychologist employed by Cooley does this). It’s all very weird. They then take a digital head shot of you and make you sign a form stating that you waive your right to your “final exam” or any other papers or homework you did while in the PEP program. You are not allowed to see anything you did—whether you are accepted or not.

Besides having the mini-Torts class during the week, you also have a legal writing class. You have class 8am to 5pm every single day that you are there. The last day that you are there (Sunday) they give you a “final exam” and tell you that you will know in 2-3 weeks if they accept you into the school conditionally or not. In between they give you “homework” assignments every night and tell you to write papers on various subjects. Some of the participants stayed up all night and went completely crazy because of the stuff that Cooley officials made them do—it was like an overload of work.

The PEP Program “coordinator” was an URM woman and she was also a graduate of Thomas Cooley. She never took the bar in Michigan and was not doing anything with her law degree. She was very rude, unprofessional and constantly hung out with all the URM applicants (all the time). The other non-URM applicants and I felt very awkward and singled out because of this.

Here are a few things that Thomas Cooley won’t tell you………….
They hold this PEP Program every single month at a hotel in Lansing (every month except for November—because of the holiday). The only actual fee you pay for is the $100 to reserve your spot (the check you mailed in the first time to them). Cooley gives you a $100 stipend for food—at the hotel only (which sucked after a while—the food is bland). Your hotel room is also paid by Cooley for the entire week (hotel management told me that Cooley gets the rooms at 50% off—since they are frequent fliers at the hotel all year). Cooley also won’t tell you that they are getting a large grant from the government to fund this program—so when they say that they are “paying” for you—they really are not. It’s all funded by grant money. All PEP program participants are basically guinea pigs for Cooley’s sick pleasure and enjoyment.

In the end, most of the URM PEP participants were accepted into the school via this program. They sent out letters 2-3 weeks later and informed us Cooley’s decision.

None of the Caucasian participants (including myself) were accepted by the school. I think Cooley basically knew who they “wanted” and didn’t want. It was all just a cat and mouse game to them.

The point of my post is to say that this program was very shady and I warn anyone considering it to stay far, far away from Lansing, MI and this PEP Program. I could tell you some pretty fuc#ed up stories from that week that would make your skin crawl.

Here are a few things that I learned in hindsight while attending this program….

1. Never attend a conditional law school program--It will hurt your future law school applications! This is because some law school applications will ask you if you ever did and if so, where and when.
2. If you do attend this Cooley PEP program (I hope that you don’t after reading this post), check out of the hotel on your last day (Sunday) very early and leave without taking the “final exam” and don’t tell anyone from your class. I wish that I had done this—you’ll basically get a free weeklong vacation via Cooley. Staying and taking the final is a waste of time—especially when you realize that the only people accepted via PEP Program are URM’s. If you’re not a URM, leave early. They can’t do anything to you legally or financially, because Cooley pays for all the expenses up front.
3. Just study and retake the LSAT. Conditional programs are bogus and they just play mind games with students. They are an emotional scam.
4. If you do end up at this program—pay very close attention to what goes on and how the employees of the school act and what they say and do. It’s all very shady. Within first 48 hours you will see that something is not right and this whole thing is bogus.

By the way, Lansing is a miserable dump and a horrible place to think of spending 3 years of your life.

P.S. Here is where I am now in my life…………….

I have since retaken the LSAT and scored 168 (I actually applied myself and studied). I am currently a 1L at a T-25 school.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Wow congrats on making it to where you are. Just think if Cooley HAD accepted you.
Interesting insights too on that program, not that I ever would consider going to it, but I always appreciate a candid view. Plus that legitimizes at least some of the constant Cooley bashing here :P

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Re: I went to PEP and here is my warning...

Post by ChattTNdt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:48 pm

davis900 wrote: I could tell you some pretty fuc#ed up stories from that week that would make your skin crawl.
You have piqued my curiosity. :lol: I'm sure everyone wants to hear these stories.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Tell some stories. I'm thinking late night animal sacrifice, blood punch, and everyone getting discreet mark of the beast tattoos like they have in The Omen.

rww830872

New

Post by rww830872 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:46 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

I am a 1L at Cooley on a full ride scholarship and I am not understanding your reasoning for dumping on the school. The crushing debt is for the very few that do not have any scholarships but the school is very generous with partial scholarships. Even though the sticker price is high no one actually pays it.

Although the attrition rate is sky high would you rather the school be a degree mill? Cooley's principled belief is that the LSAT and UGPA are not the end-all be-all of turning out quality lawyers. Sure you can disagree with that all you want but that is what they believe in. It is a pretty intense schedule and it weeds out the questionable students very quick.

I will agree though that the job prospects are not too strong. I imagine it is tough right now for almost every school if you aren't in the top of your class. And I assure you that the education at Cooley is not of questionable quality. What basis do you have to even base that assumption on? Simply because they are a 4th tiered school?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:49 pm

you guys need to cool it with the cooley threads

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 pm

dr123 wrote:you guys need to cool it with the cooley threads
Cooley threads are generally bashed pretty hard... I don't understand how they all make it to 5+ pages, though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 pm

rww830872 wrote: I am a 1L at Cooley on a full ride scholarship and I am not understanding your reasoning for dumping on the school. The crushing debt is for the very few that do not have any scholarships but the school is very generous with partial scholarships. Even though the sticker price is high no one actually pays it.

Although the attrition rate is sky high would you rather the school be a degree mill? Cooley's principled belief is that the LSAT and UGPA are not the end-all be-all of turning out quality lawyers. Sure you can disagree with that all you want but that is what they believe in. It is a pretty intense schedule and it weeds out the questionable students very quick.

I will agree though that the job prospects are not too strong. I imagine it is tough right now for almost every school if you aren't in the top of your class. And I assure you that the education at Cooley is not of questionable quality. What basis do you have to even base that assumption on? Simply because they are a 4th tiered school?
The Cooley data is bad enough, but then the school has the nerve to misrepresent itself in a way that is decidedly contrary to the spirit of the legal profession.

In the law school world, Cooley is the unctuous used car salesman who's wearing a brand-new suit as he fixes the odometer with a smirk on his face. "This is the 5th fastest car on the road today, and it's never been in an accident," he says about the Chevy Malibu w/ 2 wrecks on its record.

We have the right to call Cooley out on its unsavory practices. Perhaps the vitriol is unjustified, but the reasons underlying arguments that Cooley might be the absolute worst ABA-approved law school on the planet are sound, and 0Ls have the right to see Cooley's true colors.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 pm

davis900 wrote: The point of my post is to say that this program was very shady and I warn anyone considering it to stay far, far away from Lansing, MI and this PEP Program. I could tell you some pretty fuc#ed up stories from that week that would make your skin crawl.
Seriously, let's hear some stories!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 pm

There's nothing in principle wrong with a Tier 4 law school. There's definitely a professor at Stanford who went to Golden Gate, which is only marginally above Cooley in the rankings. So it's possible (albeit extremely rare) to become a top-flight academic, and presumably by extension possible to become a top-paid lawyer, out of just about any school.

But there's something really funny about a Tier 4 school that invents its own ranking system purely in order to rank itself higher than Tier 1 schools. And there's something really funny about Cooley's entire advertising/recruiting system, as evidenced by the PEP story above and just about everything else about the school.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:09 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:I'm also fairly certain that, after your first job, a law school's name really doesn't matter.
This may be substantially true. The problem is - and as a 3L searching for a job, I can attest to this - not everyone can get a first job nowadays. And while lots of other factors do matter as far as getting that job goes, no other single factor matters as much as the school you go to (unless your parents are senators, judges, or partners at a law firm, anyway). Some TLSers who hate on Cooley surely do so because they're snobs who like to put other people down. Some, however, do so because they think the way that Cooley takes students' money and leaves them with no job prospects is disgusting, immoral and borderline fraudulent.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:I'm also fairly certain that, after your first job, a law school's name really doesn't matter.
This may be substantially true. The problem is - and as a 3L searching for a job, I can attest to this - not everyone can get a first job nowadays. And while lots of other factors do matter as far as getting that job goes, no other single factor matters as much as the school you go to (unless your parents are senators, judges, or partners at a law firm, anyway). Some TLSers who hate on Cooley surely do so because they're snobs who like to put other people down. Some, however, do so because they think the way that Cooley takes students' money and leaves them with no job prospects is disgusting, immoral and borderline fraudulent.
Bashing on cooley as an institution is kind of legitimate since they're pretty much out to get your money, but bashing on the student body of cooley is pretty damn lame in my opion

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:39 pm

dr123 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Bashing on cooley as an institution is kind of legitimate since they're pretty much out to get your money, but bashing on the student body of cooley is pretty damn lame in my opion
I have no problem bashing on Cooley students or the students of any T4. The country is full of enough crappy lawyers; we don't need more. Get your stats up or GTFO.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:43 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
dr123 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
I have no problem bashing on Cooley students or the students of any T4. The country is full of enough crappy lawyers; we don't need more. Get your stats up or GTFO.
crappy lawayer come from every law school there is

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:48 pm

dr123 wrote: crappy lawayer come from every law school there is
True, but would you disagree that a disproportionate amount comes from T4s? If you at least weed out people who couldn't manage to get a good undergrad GPA and/or a decent LSAT, I think you're at least one step closer to having fewer crappy lawyers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

garwoodjc

New

Post by garwoodjc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm

davis900 wrote:Hello all,

I found this thread and I felt the need to respond for the sake of anyone who reads this thread…or for anyone who would ever consider doing Thomas Cooley Law School’s PEP Program.

Two years ago I went to Lansing, Michigan and attended this Thomas Cooley PEP Program. You see, I scored poorly on my LSAT the first time around--I did zero prep and was young and dumb (in my early 20’s) and took this test for granted. After scoring miserably on my LSAT (I had a decent LSAC UGPA of 3.5), I was solicited by Thomas Cooley to attend this program. They asked me to mail them back a check for $100.00 and that would secure my spot at this week long PEP Program. I mailed back the check and then received a very large packet in the mail. The packet also included 2 different personality tests that you were asked to take—I thought that was very weird.

After receiving my packet, I was told in the enclosed letter to brief around 30-40 cases and have them done before my arrival in Lansing. They typically give you about a month to do this before the start of your PEP program. The cases were all based on Intentional and Property Torts. You were advised to have this all completed before arrival and be prepared to answer questions in a classroom setting by law professors. I had somewhere between 15-20 people in my class (most of whom were URM’s from middle to lower class economic backgrounds).

You are put up in a hotel for a week by Cooley Law. You eat, breathe and hang out with the same people all week at this hotel. You arrive on a Sunday afternoon, begin class the next day (Monday) and leave the following Sunday morning (after your “final exam”). The only time that you actually leave the hotel is to tour the school on the Friday before you leave.

When you tour the school that Friday, you meet one of the Deans, a lot of 1L’s and sit in on a real Torts class. The school holds a small luncheon for the PEP participants and they review your personality test results in a classroom with you (a psychologist employed by Cooley does this). It’s all very weird. They then take a digital head shot of you and make you sign a form stating that you waive your right to your “final exam” or any other papers or homework you did while in the PEP program. You are not allowed to see anything you did—whether you are accepted or not.

Besides having the mini-Torts class during the week, you also have a legal writing class. You have class 8am to 5pm every single day that you are there. The last day that you are there (Sunday) they give you a “final exam” and tell you that you will know in 2-3 weeks if they accept you into the school conditionally or not. In between they give you “homework” assignments every night and tell you to write papers on various subjects. Some of the participants stayed up all night and went completely crazy because of the stuff that Cooley officials made them do—it was like an overload of work.

The PEP Program “coordinator” was an URM woman and she was also a graduate of Thomas Cooley. She never took the bar in Michigan and was not doing anything with her law degree. She was very rude, unprofessional and constantly hung out with all the URM applicants (all the time). The other non-URM applicants and I felt very awkward and singled out because of this.

Here are a few things that Thomas Cooley won’t tell you………….
They hold this PEP Program every single month at a hotel in Lansing (every month except for November—because of the holiday). The only actual fee you pay for is the $100 to reserve your spot (the check you mailed in the first time to them). Cooley gives you a $100 stipend for food—at the hotel only (which sucked after a while—the food is bland). Your hotel room is also paid by Cooley for the entire week (hotel management told me that Cooley gets the rooms at 50% off—since they are frequent fliers at the hotel all year). Cooley also won’t tell you that they are getting a large grant from the government to fund this program—so when they say that they are “paying” for you—they really are not. It’s all funded by grant money. All PEP program participants are basically guinea pigs for Cooley’s sick pleasure and enjoyment.

In the end, most of the URM PEP participants were accepted into the school via this program. They sent out letters 2-3 weeks later and informed us Cooley’s decision.

None of the Caucasian participants (including myself) were accepted by the school. I think Cooley basically knew who they “wanted” and didn’t want. It was all just a cat and mouse game to them.

The point of my post is to say that this program was very shady and I warn anyone considering it to stay far, far away from Lansing, MI and this PEP Program. I could tell you some pretty fuc#ed up stories from that week that would make your skin crawl.

Here are a few things that I learned in hindsight while attending this program….

1. Never attend a conditional law school program--It will hurt your future law school applications! This is because some law school applications will ask you if you ever did and if so, where and when.
2. If you do attend this Cooley PEP program (I hope that you don’t after reading this post), check out of the hotel on your last day (Sunday) very early and leave without taking the “final exam” and don’t tell anyone from your class. I wish that I had done this—you’ll basically get a free weeklong vacation via Cooley. Staying and taking the final is a waste of time—especially when you realize that the only people accepted via PEP Program are URM’s. If you’re not a URM, leave early. They can’t do anything to you legally or financially, because Cooley pays for all the expenses up front.
3. Just study and retake the LSAT. Conditional programs are bogus and they just play mind games with students. They are an emotional scam.
4. If you do end up at this program—pay very close attention to what goes on and how the employees of the school act and what they say and do. It’s all very shady. Within first 48 hours you will see that something is not right and this whole thing is bogus.

By the way, Lansing is a miserable dump and a horrible place to think of spending 3 years of your life.

P.S. Here is where I am now in my life…………….

I have since retaken the LSAT and scored 168 (I actually applied myself and studied). I am currently a 1L at a T-25 school.

I know this post is a little old, but I just wanted to comment and say I definitely did not feel this way at all about Cooley's PEP admission program when I attended. Yes, there were a lot of minorities but I did not feel singled out at all because I am Caucasian. The two professors were fair, and treated everyone equally regardless of race. I was accepted to Cooley through this program, and I am a Caucasian male, so if you are considering attending PEP, it is actually a very helpful and interesting program. Yes, it is hard, but do your work and prove to them you can make it in a law school setting and you will succeed regardless of race or gender! I never felt like the program was a scam or anything other than an opportunity for aspiring law students to show they can handle law school even if their LSAT scores were low. I also am very excited to be attending Cooley, and don't think people should be bashing the school. What you do with your law degree largely depends on you, and your own personal drive. Just because you go to Harvard doesn't mean you will automatically be a hotshot lawyer. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Killselves HTH

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Cooley lol.

Nixon

New

Post by Nixon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 am

I ALSO ATTENDED COOLEYS PEP PROGRAM. I ATTENDED THE PEP PROGRAM ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO AND I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS REALLY GOOD. ESSENTIALLY IT IS LIKE GOING TO LAW SCHOOL FOR A WEEK FOR FREE, AND IT MEANS THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO WORK HARD AT YOUR GPAS OR IF YOU DONT TEST WELL IT MEANS THAT THE LAW SCHOOL STILL GIVES YOU A SHOT.

BASICALLY I WENT TO THE HOTEL IN LANSING I THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY COOL. THEY REALLY TREAT YOU RIGHT. THEY FED US AND WE HAD A PLACE TO STAY. ACTUALLY WHEN YOU GET THERE THEY HAVE SUBMARINE SANDWICHES WAITING FOR YOU. WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE IT WAS A LONG DRIVE TO LANSING. THE HOTEL HAS A SWIMMING POOL, WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A NICE TOUCH. THE THING ABOUT THE CLASS IS THAT THEY GIVE YOU A LOT OF READING TO DO, AND IT WAS PRETTY INTERESTING. THEY ALSO GIVE YOU HOMEWORK. IT WAS A LOT LIKE HIGH SCHOOL, TO BE FRANK. BUT I WAS MORE INTERESTED IN READING THE CASES THAN I WAS IN WRITING ABOUT THEM.

I WAS NOT ACCEPTED AFTER THE PEP PROGRAM UNFORNTUNATELY BUT I AM GOING TO RE-APPLY THIS CYCLE. I AM HAPPY THAT THEY GAVE ME A CHANCE AND I WOULD DEFINATELY GO BACK. SOME DAY I HOPE TO GET MY JD, HOPEFULY FROM THE THOMAS M. COOLEY SCHOOL OF LAW. THEY GET A POSITIVE REVIEW FROM ME. IF YOU DONT LIKE COOLEY WELL THATS YOUR OPINION BUT ITS JUST THAT, AN OPINION.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”