Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lucky13

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby lucky13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:57 am

I haven't heard a thing. Last I checked I was in committee, but no decision yet. Wonder what this means. Didn't get rejected outright, but does this mean I'll get accepted? Any guesses?

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Keep up the hope. My first seat deposit due date on my letter is tomorrow. ( I put it in immediately).Things will move after then when they see how the class starts to look. If you haven't heard anything yet, then keep those fingers crossed!

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Burnsie wrote:Resident, URM, 154, 2.4. My softs are great, probably what got me in. I've worked in state goverment since 2003.

That's what got you in, don't lie to yourself.

lucky13

Postby lucky13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 pm

Burnsie wrote:Keep up the hope. My first seat deposit due date on my letter is tomorrow. ( I put it in immediately).Things will move after then when they see how the class starts to look. If you haven't heard anything yet, then keep those fingers crossed!

Thanks! Definitely hoping to get accepted. I will even take getting waitlisted at this point (as long as I can get off it later). I do wonder what statistics have shown in the past as far as hearing back so late in the cycle. Hopefully tomorrow's deadline re: deposits will be to my benefit.

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:16 am

TTTennis wrote:
Burnsie wrote:Resident, URM, 154, 2.4. My softs are great, probably what got me in. I've worked in state goverment since 2003.

You are probably right.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:40 am

I got in. I am a resident but non-URM. I have spent the past week looking at LSU and other schools in the South, just got in from a 20 hour drive 30 minutes ago and saw the acceptance letter. Dated April 8th, said I had two weeks to respond or until April 15th, which ever comes latest. UNM didn't leave me much time to think about it.

monicaggon

Postby monicaggon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 am

TTTennis wrote:

Don't be so sure about that. I am resident, URM, female, with better numbers, great references, and six years law work experience, and Im still not in yet (or maybe will not get in)

He/She must have great softs...

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 am

monicaggon wrote:
TTTennis wrote:

Don't be so sure about that. I am resident, URM, female, with better numbers, great references, and six years law work experience, and Im still not in yet (or maybe will not get in)

IF I were you and did not get in, I'd be pissed over this.

monicaggon

Postby monicaggon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 am

darknightbegins wrote:
monicaggon wrote:
TTTennis wrote:

IF I were you and did not get in, I'd be pissed over this.

I am a little pissed already at having to wait so long, but what do you do? UNM really picks its class carefully, and maybe I am not what they are looking for this cycle. However, I have a feeling that I will be let in at the end of the month, after people have withdrawn.

Congrats on your acceptance!

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 am

Best of luck and thanks.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:41 am

darknightbegins wrote:I got in. I am a resident but non-URM. I have spent the past week looking at LSU and other schools in the South, just got in from a 20 hour drive 30 minutes ago and saw the acceptance letter. Dated April 8th, said I had two weeks to respond or until April 15th, which ever comes latest. UNM didn't leave me much time to think about it.

Congrats darknight! I figured you would. Let us know what you do.

TTTennis wrote:
Burnsie wrote:
Resident, URM, 154, 2.4. My softs are great, probably what got me in. I've worked in state goverment since 2003.

You are probably right.

Hold on now. The softs could have very well been what put you over the edge. Though the URM/Resident undoubtedly played a huge part in it. As has been pointed out, I would need to have ridiculously higher numbers than this.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:51 am

BigA wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:I got in. I am a resident but non-URM. I have spent the past week looking at LSU and other schools in the South, just got in from a 20 hour drive 30 minutes ago and saw the acceptance letter. Dated April 8th, said I had two weeks to respond or until April 15th, which ever comes latest. UNM didn't leave me much time to think about it.

TTTennis wrote:
Burnsie wrote:
Resident, URM, 154, 2.4. My softs are great, probably what got me in. I've worked in state goverment since 2003.

You are probably right.

Hold on now. The softs could have very well been what put you over the edge. Though the URM/Resident undoubtedly played a huge part in it. As has been pointed out, I would need to have ridiculously higher numbers than this.

Yeah if you are an out of state and non-URM app I would say you need something around a 3.5-3.7 GPA and a 160 LSAT. Certainly not impossible but certainly better than a 154 and a 2.4.

As for what I will do...it is a bit tough for me. LSU was nice, very green and pretty down south compared to the desert of New Mexico. Being a resident New Mexico saves me about 50K over three years than if I go to LSU. New Mexico is ranked a bit higher but not enough to make a difference. Now I have to think long and hard. If William and Mary comes through then I scrap both these schools, otherwise maybe I'll flip a coin.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:57 am

darknightbegins wrote:
BigA wrote:

TTTennis wrote:
Burnsie wrote:

You are probably right.

Yeah if you are an out of state and non-URM app I would say you need something around a 3.5-3.7 GPA and a 160 LSAT. Certainly not impossible but certainly better than a 154 and a 2.4.

As for what I will do...it is a bit tough for me. LSU was nice, very green and pretty down south compared to the desert of New Mexico. Being a resident New Mexico saves me about 50K over three years than if I go to LSU. New Mexico is ranked a bit higher but not enough to make a difference. Now I have to think long and hard. If William and Mary comes through then I scrap both these schools, otherwise maybe I'll flip a coin.

Practically speaking, it seems hard to make a case for LSU. Sounds like you want to get out of New Mexico...

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:14 am

BigA wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
BigA wrote:

TTTennis wrote:
Burnsie wrote:

You are probably right.

Practically speaking, it seems hard to make a case for LSU. Sounds like you want to get out of New Mexico...

I don't mind New Mexico so much. I don't mind Albq. Santa Fe is fun with all the art stuff. The rest of the state is...blah. Was just refressing to see something so different. Put a gun to my head and I go to UNM. My parents in the end would likely help me with the in state tuition at UNM so I'd come out with very little, if any debt. Tough to say no to that.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:07 am

Well I think that parts of the rest of the state are beautiful, but the townships are blah. Like Ruidoso, Carlsbad, Taos, etc.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:12 pm

horriblegb wrote:Well I think that parts of the rest of the state are beautiful, but the townships are blah. Like Ruidoso, Carlsbad, Taos, etc.

Carlsbad is good for the caverns, not much else. You can ski in Ruidoso, not much else. Native American stuff is pretty cool around the state. Mexican food is great, too bad it is unhealthy as hell. Weather is great, a warm climate. Laid back attitude generally. It isn't a bad state, but neither is LA.

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:44 pm

You know what does suck about New Mexico?? The WIND. Stop blowing already!!!!

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:20 am

Burnsie wrote:You know what does suck about New Mexico?? The WIND. Stop blowing already!!!!

But I like the drizzle :D

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 am

Burnsie wrote:You know what does suck about New Mexico?? The WIND. Stop blowing already!!!!

April's always that way. When the wind stops, the heat sets in. The wind is hell if you have allergies. All of the dust and crap that gets kicked up in the air can put a hurt to you.

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:08 am

darknightbegins wrote:

April's always that way. When the wind stops, the heat sets in. The wind is hell if you have allergies. All of the dust and crap that gets kicked up in the air can put a hurt to you.

Yeah, I feel like I have been sneezing every spring non-stop for 31 years. I don't know how to enjoy spring without sneezing or tying my hair back! I guess the news said the juniper count is at a record. Thank goodness for this rain, maybe it will settle some of it.

mikef88

Postby mikef88 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Hey guys,
Just checking back in to say that I was accepted. My scores and such are as follows:
NM Resident: Yes
LSAT: 156
GPA: 3.35
I would also like to note that my letter of recommendation was written by my thesis advisor. I am currently finishing a senior thesis for departmental honors in History, and I think that the combination of mentioning that I am doing that in my personal statement plus having my advisor write the letter of recommendation really helped. Best of luck to everyone else.

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:57 pm

mikef88 wrote:Hey guys,
Just checking back in to say that I was accepted. My scores and such are as follows:
I would also like to note that my letter of recommendation was written by my thesis advisor. I am currently finishing a senior thesis for departmental honors in History, and I think that the combination of mentioning that I am doing that in my personal statement plus having my advisor write the letter of recommendation really helped. Best of luck to everyone else.

Congrats!!!

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:23 pm

mikef88 wrote:Hey guys,

Congratulations. What is the topic of the thesis?

lucky13

Postby lucky13 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:49 am

Congratulations to those who have recently been admitted to UNM. For those of us who haven't heard yet, I called UNM today and they said that the committee is meeting again today and they would have decisions by Thursday or Friday. Good luck to those still waiting.

monicaggon

Postby monicaggon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:27 pm

lucky13 wrote:Congratulations to those who have recently been admitted to UNM. For those of us who haven't heard yet, I called UNM today and they said that the committee is meeting again today and they would have decisions by Thursday or Friday. Good luck to those still waiting.

Thank you for that info. I hate not knowing when a decision will be made.

I am going to be obsessively checking my status the rest of the week!

Congrats Mikef88. I hope I get to see you in the fall.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”