Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Yes Albq is around 40 percent Hispanic but look at the percentage of Hispanic that graduate from high school, then college, then are actually good enough to make it to law school. That funnels ALOT out. I know, I've lived in New Mexico my entire life. I am an in state white guy with numbers above both their medians and my GPA is way above their top 75 percent and I still have yet to even hear back from then. I've already been accepted to schools of similar rank, such as LSU, Miami and Nebraska (I know Nebraska was TTT this year but that was an exception) and I was waitlisted at schools above UNM such as William and Mary. AND I am an instate resident. And still not even told a thing.

As a matter of fact back in Jan the school notified me they had received my FAFSA info but had no application from me even though I applied back in November. I had to call them out and straighten it up and they said "Oh yeah we do have an app from you, just a mix up because the app is to our law school". Needless to say this was not encouraging to hear.

UNM gives an overwhelming (likely unjustified) preference to in state New Mexico residence and even more so to Hispanics. If you are a White guy that is out of state and you want in, you better have an LSAT and GPA that are good enough that they can't resist, in other words an index score good enough to get you into better schools than UNM. I'm not here to bash on UNM I'm just giving it to you straight about your chances.

monicaggon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby monicaggon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:00 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Yes Albq is around 40 percent Hispanic but look at the percentage of Hispanic that graduate from high school, then college, then are actually good enough to make it to law school. That funnels ALOT out. I know, I've lived in New Mexico my entire life. I am an in state white guy with numbers above both their medians and my GPA is way above their top 75 percent and I still have yet to even hear back from then. I've already been accepted to schools of similar rank, such as LSU, Miami and Nebraska (I know Nebraska was TTT this year but that was an exception) and I was waitlisted at schools above UNM such as William and Mary. AND I am an instate resident. And still not even told a thing.

As a matter of fact back in Jan the school notified me they had received my FAFSA info but had no application from me even though I applied back in November. I had to call them out and straighten it up and they said "Oh yeah we do have an app from you, just a mix up because the app is to our law school". Needless to say this was not encouraging to hear.

UNM gives an overwhelming (likely unjustified) preference to in state New Mexico residence and even more so to Hispanics. If you are a White guy that is out of state and you want in, you better have an LSAT and GPA that are good enough that they can't resist, in other words an index score good enough to get you into better schools than UNM. I'm not here to bash on UNM I'm just giving it to you straight about your chances.


Ok, in light of the fact that you and I might actually end up at UNM SOL together, I will try and ignore the bitterness you have toward NM Hispanics (as a several generation NM Hispanic female). Keep in mind that the preference is not just for Hispanics, but for NM residents as a whole (approx 80%)

To help you edge the bitterness at having to wait, which I must admit I too share, I can tell you that I am still waiting for an answer as well, with a median LSAT and median GPA but with having the alleged holy grail phenotype. So I dont think it has anything to do with you being a white guy in New Mexico. Also, the preference is necessary, seeing as how the school is the ONLY law school in New Mexico which is a minority MAJORITY population and the school is publicly funded. I for one would be highly offended if it were otherwise.

I have heard (I know a lot of 1Ls at UNM SOL) that we are considered to be the group of people that will ABSOLUTELY attend if accepted, and so we are pushed to the side and given second preference over those invited to the Admitted Student day. It sucks.

I read on the website though, that we should expect to receive an answer by May 1st, so I guess here's hoping! (and I think you will get in, based upon your numbers)

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:14 pm

I have no bitterness toward Hispanics, I was simply telling you the way it is. I have lived in New Mexico my whole life and I generally like the state. I went to NMSU for undergrad and grad school. Believe me I am well aware New Mexico is a MAJORITY MINORITY STATE.

My point is, look at the number of Hispanics that graduate from high school, and look at the numbers that attend college, look at the numbers that actually complete college, and look at the numbers that would actually be able to do well enough to attend law school. The drop out rate for Hispanics in this state is below that of Whites.

--LinkRemoved--

Less than half of Hispanics in this state graduate from High School.

--LinkRemoved--

UNM itself graduates Hispanics at lower rates from its university than the national average.


So when you look at these numbers and then look at the fact that UNM Law school is somewhere between 40-50 percent Hispanic, yes I do question the admission standards at UNM. UNM gives a huge preference to instate residents and a huge preference to Hispanics. That is a fact, maybe you think its good, that is great, but the facts are the facts. Thats why I am telling the out of state white guy good luck in getting in.

monicaggon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby monicaggon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:27 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I have no bitterness toward Hispanics, I was simply telling you the way it is. I have lived in New Mexico my whole life and I generally like the state. I went to NMSU for undergrad and grad school. Believe me I am well aware New Mexico is a MAJORITY MINORITY STATE.

My point is, look at the number of Hispanics that graduate from high school, and look at the numbers that attend college, look at the numbers that actually complete college, and look at the numbers that would actually be able to do well enough to attend law school. The drop out rate for Hispanics in this state is below that of Whites.

--LinkRemoved--

Less than half of Hispanics in this state graduate from High School.

--LinkRemoved--

UNM itself graduates Hispanics at lower rates from its university than the national average.


So when you look at these numbers and then look at the fact that UNM Law school is somewhere between 40-50 percent Hispanic, yes I do question the admission standards at UNM. UNM gives a huge preference to instate residents and a huge preference to Hispanics. That is a fact, maybe you think its good, that is great, but the facts are the facts. Thats why I am telling the out of state white guy good luck in getting in.


You need not give me links to facts I am aware of, like I stated previously, my family has been here for many generations, over 100 years, in fact.

And yes, you make a great point, but you fail to see the side of New Mexican Hispanics. You are only looking at this from a numbers point of view and not from a sociological, psychological point of view.

As for the comments that Hispanics perform far less than Whites, that is true. However, there are plenty of well qualified Hispanics (you can insert residents here), such as myself, for whom the school was created for. In fact, I could be going to a better school, but choose not to. I am invested in New Mexico in so many ways, and I have a vision of making it better for all residents, and generally help to decrease the drop rate, etc for all residents, not just Hispanics

And I actually know students at the school. Believe or not, they also let in White residents with "sub-par" numbers.

The point is to educate a student base that will desire to stay in New Mexico and become active participants in its legal community.

So, there is no need for a debate. We just need to recognize that we have different perspectives on the matter.

And we both agree that the waiting time is atrocious.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:56 pm

We aren't talking about the school letting in shitty White residents, we were discussing the chances the poster had at being WHITE and a NONRESIDENT. And I still argue those chances are pretty rough.

I fail to see the side of New Mexican Hispanics? I didn't realize UNM Law School was created to help qualified Hispanics, liek yourself. I was under the assumption the school was created to allow in qualified New Mexican residents as well as non-residents, provide a quality legal education, and encourage students to stay in the state after graduation. I didn't think UNM Law was created for the purpose of correcting some sociological or psychological misfortune Hispanics have endured in this state, a state which they are a majority in.

Thanks for clearing it up, puts UNM in a whole new light for me.

monicaggon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby monicaggon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:03 pm

darknightbegins wrote:We aren't talking about the school letting in shitty White residents, we were discussing the chances the poster had at being WHITE and a NONRESIDENT. And I still argue those chances are pretty rough.

I fail to see the side of New Mexican Hispanics? I didn't realize UNM Law School was created to help qualified Hispanics, liek yourself. I was under the assumption the school was created to allow in qualified New Mexican residents as well as non-residents, provide a quality legal education, and encourage students to stay in the state after graduation. I didn't think UNM Law was created for the purpose of correcting some sociological or psychological misfortune Hispanics have endured in this state, a state which they are a majority in.

Thanks for clearing it up, puts UNM in a whole new light for me.


Why so hostile? You really need to consider the if UNM is for you with your attitude. It is a LIBERAL school. Full of minorities that share the same view as myself. Not only that, but you clearly are not informed as to why the school was founded. Why don't you actually read-up on that sometime.

I did not get hostile with you. I simply stated my case and respected your opinion while disagreeing.

Ill tell you what. IF you get in, I will PM you my name and we can continue this debate, in person, the first day of class. I would love to further discuss my point of view with you.

Until then, good luck.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 pm

monicaggon wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:We aren't talking about the school letting in shitty White residents, we were discussing the chances the poster had at being WHITE and a NONRESIDENT. And I still argue those chances are pretty rough.

I fail to see the side of New Mexican Hispanics? I didn't realize UNM Law School was created to help qualified Hispanics, liek yourself. I was under the assumption the school was created to allow in qualified New Mexican residents as well as non-residents, provide a quality legal education, and encourage students to stay in the state after graduation. I didn't think UNM Law was created for the purpose of correcting some sociological or psychological misfortune Hispanics have endured in this state, a state which they are a majority in.

Thanks for clearing it up, puts UNM in a whole new light for me.


Why so hostile? You really need to consider the if UNM is for you with your attitude. It is a LIBERAL school. Full of minorities that share the same view as myself. Not only that, but you clearly are not informed as to why the school was founded. Why don't you actually read-up on that sometime.

I did not get hostile with you. I simply stated my case and respected your opinion while disagreeing.

Ill tell you what. IF you get in, I will PM you my name and we can continue this debate, in person, the first day of class. I would love to further discuss my point of view with you.

Until then, good luck.


Who said I was hostile? And yes I am aware that UNM is a LIBERAL school. There is a professor there that believes much of the Southwest is destined to become a seperate nation between the United States and Mexico. And so what if UNM is LIBERAL and FULL of minorities such as yourself? As a LIBERAL school I would hope that it would be TOLERANT of the attitudes and opinions of OTHER people who do not share the popular view. As for why the school was founded:

The mission of the Law School is consistent with the long-range plans of the University, recently formalized in a document entitled "UNM 2000". As a part of the University, the general mission of the Law School is to transmit and to increase the store of human knowledge. As a professional school, the Law School's role is to provide academic and professional instruction to those who wish a legal education.


First paragraph of the school's mission statement:

http://lawschool.unm.edu/about/mission.php

Now in the interests of fairness, further down in the mission statement it does discuss the emphasis on Indian Tribal Law and the racially diverse nature of the state. I have no problem with either of these. I've lived in New Mexico my entire life. My parents were born in New Mexico. However, the reason for UNM law to exist is not to correct some kind of sociological or psychololgical issues Hispanics have in the state. As for when the law school was first created, well...

Formal legal education in New Mexico began in 1947 on the second floor of the grandstand at Zimmerman Field, the University of New Mexico's football field, across from Carlisle Gymnasium. Four professors shared one classroom and two offices, teaching the first class of 53 students, 51 who were World War II veterans. The fourth room was the library. During inauguration ceremonies to celebrate the establishment of the law school, UNM President Philip Wernette and Alfred Gausewitz, the school's first dean, pledged that high standards and quality would never be sacrificed for quantity.


That is the first paragraph from the historical part of the school's website:

http://lawschool.unm.edu/about/history/index.php

Again, I fail to see where it is emphasized that the school was created for Hispanics, like yourself. I sure hope this doesn't come off as "hostile". These are the reasons why I disagree with your assessment as to why the school was created. And IF I decide to attend, I sure hope liberals are tolerant of the minority view point.

So back to the poster. Being white and a nonresident means you will have a difficult time getting in. UNM has a pretty low student to faculty ratio and they seem to be a bit selective about allowing students in. If you are a nonresident and white then you will need to have numbers good enough that there is no way they can justify not admitting you. And if you have numbers that good, you can likely get into a better school if you want.

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby BigA » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:34 am

well, everyone's responses have been helpful. Didn't mean to start a debate, but the different perspectives are nice. UNM definitely appealed to me because it is a bargain and I love the southwest. As a California resident I am kind of screwed at our state schools because of my low GPA. The fact that I am actually above UNM's 25% GPA seemed like a minor miracle. And I thought that would help more than I now know it will :cry: I will still probably throw them an app if I score around 160 in June or a little better. That sound right? I still think I'd rather go there than my local T2 (USD) because it is a bargain. And I'll try to come up with a better PS than that in my app!

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:18 am

If you are at the 25 percent GPA and get a 160+ LSAT you have a decent shot to get in as an out of state app and a white guy. I'd suggest you do some volunteer work with some area UNM stresses, such as Native American groups or water rights stuff for your personal statement. You will need to make it clear why you want to go to UNM and how your interests reflect those of the law school.

As for UNM vs USD that is up for debate. UNM will place you in Albq and Santa Fe but it will be tough to get back to California. That being said UNM can also place you in Las Cruces and you could likely go from Cruces to El Paso considering how close El Paso is to Cruces. Also the major university at El Paso, UTEP, has no law school so you have a nice shot there. Good luck.

monicaggon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby monicaggon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:22 am

BigA wrote:well, everyone's responses have been helpful. Didn't mean to start a debate, but the different perspectives are nice. UNM definitely appealed to me because it is a bargain and I love the southwest. As a California resident I am kind of screwed at our state schools because of my low GPA. The fact that I am actually above UNM's 25% GPA seemed like a minor miracle. And I thought that would help more than I now know it will :cry: I will still probably throw them an app if I score around 160 in June or a little better. That sound right? I still think I'd rather go there than my local T2 (USD) because it is a bargain. And I'll try to come up with a better PS than that in my app!


Don't worry about starting a debate, as you said, different perspectives are nice!

I think you have the right plan. The personal statement is very important at UNM. Since you are out of state, you might try and take the LSAT again to see if you can get above a 160. If you are REALLY serious about UNM, you might even consider moving here for a year, and gaining residency. (If this is even an option for you, PM me and I can give you info on Albuquerque).

There is a possibility that I may not get in as well. I have since decided that if this is the case, I will take the year off and retake the LSAT, and try again next year.

Good luck!

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby BigA » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks again guys. A couple notes: I haven't yet taken the LSAT. I mentioned a score in the low-160s because I figured that would make me a reasonable UNM candidate (Not 157 like I originally thought :mrgreen: ). About residency, I already know that after 12 months it's really easy to get in-state tuition. That is another big plus for the school in my book. And no, I wouldn't expect to bring my degree back to San Diego. All of those towns you mentioned, darknightbegins, sound nice. In fact anywhere between San Diego and the Rockies I would consider an ideal place to set up a life. I wish you guys the best of luck with your applications. Although I don't think either of you need it. Based on the numbers you cited, you both sound like shoe-ins. UNM needs to get off its lazy butts and let you guys in!

mikef88
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby mikef88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi All,
So applying for UNM Law was a last minute thing for me, but anyway because of transcript problems my application was not fully complete until about 4/1, or maybe slightly earlier, but the people at UNM were very understanding said it wouldnt be a problem. Now UNM has rolling admissions and I called this last Tuesday to inquire about the status of my application and they said it would go before the board yesterday, Wednesday 4/7. They said they may have one more board after this one though because they were still receiving applications. Now today my status updated on my 'check your status page' to 'decision rendered'. So hopefully I will find out within the next few days. Now if I were not accepted this last Wednesday I would still be considered again if they have another meeting because of the rolling admissions policy, but I am not sure if they will or not. Either way I'm just anxious to find out. My numbers are as follows:
Lsat 156
GPA 3.35
Now I know I had a good recommendation letter writer and a decent personal statement. I'm just so worried though that I wont get in.

brittanybrooke
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:43 am

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby brittanybrooke » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:04 pm

You won't actually get the letter for awhile...maybe late next week..if you're a resident and had a good ps you should get in...non-residents tend to have higher numbers, although I have met plenty of current students who are not residents

mikef88
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby mikef88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm

I am a resident.

monicaggon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby monicaggon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Mike,

Since you are a resident and have good numbers, I think you will get good news! Make sure to let us know...

mikef88
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby mikef88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Will do, I hope so too, but we will have to wait and see. Its just when one looks at like law school numbers or any of those sites, it's so depressing, but I doubt one can trust those.
Last edited by mikef88 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby Burnsie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:00 pm

ACCEPTED!! Today in the mail!

monicaggon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby monicaggon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Burnsie wrote:ACCEPTED!! Today in the mail!


Congrats! What are your numbers? Resident/non resident?

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby Burnsie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Resident, URM, 154, 2.4. My softs are great, probably what got me in. I've worked in state goverment since 2003.

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:34 pm

My palms are sweaty, and getting increasingly nervous, about to withdraw as a resident, so it is real that I am moving, unbelievable. Good luck everyone!

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby BigA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:40 pm

horriblegb wrote:My palms are sweaty, and getting increasingly nervous, about to withdraw as a resident, so it is real that I am moving, unbelievable. Good luck everyone!


Where are you going?

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Most likely villanova unless i get off one of my two waitlists that may change the game

monicaggon
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby monicaggon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Burnsie wrote:Resident, URM, 154, 2.4. My softs are great, probably what got me in. I've worked in state goverment since 2003.


Congrats! I just submitted my fall grades which improved my gpa by .09 points, so hopefully that helps...I hope I get to hear from UNM soon!

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby Burnsie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:37 pm

monicaggon wrote:
Burnsie wrote:Resident, URM, 154, 2.4. My softs are great, probably what got me in. I've worked in state goverment since 2003.


Congrats! I just submitted my fall grades which improved my gpa by .09 points, so hopefully that helps...I hope I get to hear from UNM soon!



Crossin my fingers for ya

Burnsie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby Burnsie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 am

Wow. just saw the new "leaked" rankings. I feel even more grateful UNM accepted me! Had to reopen my letter and make sure that I wasn't dreaming it all....




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”