Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roguey

Re: Has anyone heard from New Mexico?

Postby roguey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I completely agree with you. I checked out the residency requirements, and thankfully my fiancee will be able to help me achieve residency as we will be married by that point and he will be working full time, and we are going to buy a house. I'm hoping that will help :) Good luck to you as well!!!

BigA

Postby BigA » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:57 am

roguey wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
roguey wrote:I'm wondering if they would do an out of state tuition waiver for 1 year. UNM is already my first choice, but I cannot afford 29k for any school in 1 year. 13k I can cover with loans. If there is no sort of scholarship info in my acceptance package (if they accepted me), I wonder if I can call and beg for aid.

You can't cover 29K with a combo of federal and private loans?

My credit score is too bad for private loans, unfortunately.

So are not able to get private loans even if someone is able to cosign for you? I feel like I may in this boat in a year or so, but I'm sure I can get someone to cosign. Anyway, sounds like you found a way to get in-state tuition. Congrats!

roguey

Postby roguey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:46 pm

BigA wrote:
roguey wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
roguey wrote:I'm wondering if they would do an out of state tuition waiver for 1 year. UNM is already my first choice, but I cannot afford 29k for any school in 1 year. 13k I can cover with loans. If there is no sort of scholarship info in my acceptance package (if they accepted me), I wonder if I can call and beg for aid.

You can't cover 29K with a combo of federal and private loans?

My credit score is too bad for private loans, unfortunately.

So are not able to get private loans even if someone is able to cosign for you? I feel like I may in this boat in a year or so, but I'm sure I can get someone to cosign. Anyway, sounds like you found a way to get in-state tuition. Congrats!

Oh yeah, you can get loans with a co-signer if you have bad credit.
Last edited by roguey on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Sorry to interrupt, received acceptance letter today

roguey

Postby roguey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:23 pm

horriblegb wrote:Sorry to interrupt, received acceptance letter today

You're not interrupting. Congratulations!!!!!

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

horriblegb wrote:Sorry to interrupt, received acceptance letter today

Congrads! What were your numbers?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:53 am

in state, 157, 3.38 URM

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:24 am

My numbers are close to yours, also in state, but not URM. If I get in I'll certainly consider the school as its dirt cheap.

cLams

Postby cLams » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:08 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately?

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:20 am

Still nothing. I knew a guy last year that didn't hear back until later April and he got accepted. I'm putting the first seat deposit down on another school in the next few weeks. UNM seems to think very highly of itself in waiting so long to get back to students.

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:04 am

darknightbegins wrote:Still nothing. I knew a guy last year that didn't hear back until later April and he got accepted. I'm putting the first seat deposit down on another school in the next few weeks. UNM seems to think very highly of itself in waiting so long to get back to students.

Agreed! I thought they'd be eager to get their notifications out...apparently not!!

fruitcocktail

Postby fruitcocktail » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:19 am

I'm showing decision rendered as of 3/4. No letter yet though. :(

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Anyone going on April 5th?

BigA

Postby BigA » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Not applying this cycle, but LSN seems a lot more pessimistic than law school predictor for this school. You guys finding it harder to get in here than the calculators and the creamy quartiles seem to project?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:02 am

BigA wrote:Not applying this cycle, but LSN seems a lot more pessimistic than law school predictor for this school. You guys finding it harder to get in here than the calculators and the creamy quartiles seem to project?

Well the big thing about UNM is that they definitely love their URMs, and the residents, which I am both. But from everything I understand the important thing to do is convince that you love UNM, want to help the little people, and stay in NM, like most schools. But they place a major emphasis on the personal statements. It is kind of like Hawai'i (which I was rejected from), it is unpredictable for their ranking. Sorry for the ramble haha

cLams

Postby cLams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Has anyone thought of e-mailing admissions to check on their status? It seems like UNM has been pretty stagnant and deposit deadlines are coming up soon...

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:26 pm

horriblegb wrote:
BigA wrote:Not applying this cycle, but LSN seems a lot more pessimistic than law school predictor for this school. You guys finding it harder to get in here than the calculators and the creamy quartiles seem to project?

Well the big thing about UNM is that they definitely love their URMs, and the residents, which I am both. But from everything I understand the important thing to do is convince that you love UNM, want to help the little people, and stay in NM, like most schools. But they place a major emphasis on the personal statements. It is kind of like Hawai'i (which I was rejected from), it is unpredictable for their ranking. Sorry for the ramble haha

Saying UNM likes URMs is an understatment. Look at their demographics. Its around half Hispanic.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 pm

cLams wrote:Has anyone thought of e-mailing admissions to check on their status? It seems like UNM has been pretty stagnant and deposit deadlines are coming up soon...

You can try. The school takes its sweet ass time. Again, a guy I was at school with last year didn't hear until late April/May that he got in (and yes he was a URM and likely this really helped him get in, he admitted as much). For some reason this school takes its time. I wouldn't worry yet.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:15 am

horriblegb wrote:

You can ramble all you'd like. That was helpful. Here I thought UNM was the easiest school in the Top 100 to get into. Now it makes a bit of sense. I am neither Mexican nor New Mexican so I may need to rethink this :x

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Hello,
I'm also a resident applicant. I haven't heard back yet either. I'm not holding my breath, stats are horrible. BUT, if anyone has any questions about living here, etc, fire away. I've been a resident my whole life and would be happy to help.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:54 pm

BigA wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

You can ramble all you'd like. That was helpful. Here I thought UNM was the easiest school in the Top 100 to get into. Now it makes a bit of sense. I am neither Mexican nor New Mexican so I may need to rethink this :x

Yeah it loves its own residents, just like UNLV. I think UNM sees it as part of their mission to recruit a very diverse (read: Heavily Hispanic) population for its law school. I would hardly classify it as the easiest to get into in the T100, I've heard back from (and gotten into) schools ranked in the same range or better than UNM thus far.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 am

darknightbegins wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

Saying UNM likes URMs is an understatment. Look at their demographics. Its around half Hispanic.

I didn't say they liked them i said they loved them :) did anyone go to the admitted students day yesterday?

monicaggon

Postby monicaggon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 pm

I didn't go, but I heard it was nice.

I am still one of those people waiting to hear an answer...hopefully I will get one this month.

Right now its UNM as my first choice, then Denver...

BigA

Postby BigA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm

horriblegb wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

I didn't say they liked them i said they loved them :) did anyone go to the admitted students day yesterday?

It seems like they should provide numbers both for URM and non-URM applicants separately (or do they?). Because if you apply to UNM as an out-of-state white guy based on the overall medians, you might be in for a rude awakening. That would be good for all schools with a heavy minority population I think.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:56 pm

BigA wrote:
It seems like they should provide numbers both for URM and non-URM applicants separately (or do they?). Because if you apply to UNM as an out-of-state white guy based on the overall medians, you might be in for a rude awakening. That would be good for all schools with a heavy minority population I think.

I have not really looked into that so I am not exactly sure, you also have to keep in mind that in Albuquerque is largely hispanic (about 40% I believe). Not only that, but the stress on Indian Law floats towards the minority. I think you may be right, but thats the way they roll. I think you just have to kill them with the personal statement, which is the best advice I can offer for anyone applying next year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”