I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby théo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:15 am

Impatient wrote:No! Don't be quiet! Don't except people's incorrect rationale as ok. Don't just say "People's opinions tend to be set," continue to point to their flaws in reasoning so they can learn the truth, or at least the full opinion of the opposing side.

I'm not looking for any sympathy, I just want people to understand that he did not deserve to get that spot. I know that most of you think that minorities are entitled to huge advantages for any who have even the slightest amount of ambition, but that's wrong. People are entitled to what they earn. Under the same testing conditions as everyone else, he scored remarkably lower than the average acceptance of the schools he's gotten into. That is inherently unfair. And to be smug about it is worse. I know people who deserve that spot and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they worked harder than him. I'm sorry to point this person out specifically, but it is part of a larger point. Complacence on this issue will only foster greater aggravation and disdain towards this attitude of false achievement. So congrats on getting in, that doesnt change the fact that intellectually, you're nowhere near your future classmates.


So I guess we should all work harder next time to be born straight, white, and into a rich family. Because those are also things you earn.

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby théo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 am

amandap wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Ragged wrote:
amandap wrote:Target: Berkeley
Numbers: 3.65/165
URM: Yes
The only reason I was admitted: cuz I'm a URM


ftfy


lol let her dream! she might work harder cause of it.

either ways congrats amadap!


Actually I think the reason I was admitted was because of my personal statement. I wrote about how I had a child before I graduated from high school, and another while at Berkeley without any time off. I raised them as a single mother. And I wrote a GPA addendum explaining why I had below average grades the semester I had my daughter, and how I have gotten straight A pluses for the last 2 years, while working and doing volunteer work.


That is really admirable, congrats!

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby neonx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:27 am

théo wrote:
amandap wrote:
Actually I think the reason I was admitted was because of my personal statement. I wrote about how I had a child before I graduated from high school, and another while at Berkeley without any time off. I raised them as a single mother. And I wrote a GPA addendum explaining why I had below average grades the semester I had my daughter, and how I have gotten straight A pluses for the last 2 years, while working and doing volunteer work.


That is really admirable, congrats!


Your story makes me so excited for you and your family, amandap. Best of luck. =)

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby théo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:51 am

Impatient wrote:
Umm, No. I, and everyone else, know exactly what got him in. Hundreds of people with far better scores and GPA's got passed over and he got in. Why do you have to pretend like you can't say the reason a 156 got in and someone with 10 more points on the lsat didn't? You're going to law school? Someone in preschool can identify the reason. The fact that you get so hostile at the hint of reality just validates what I'm saying. I'd like to know what excruciating life experience in inherited exclusively to blacks/latinos/native americans that can't be found in any other minority group. If you think that there is AA in the courtroom, you're wrong. At what point do you suggest letting people be judged equally by the quality of their merits and not by their skin?



Hey, yeah, guess what there is in the courtroom?

http://www.sentencingproject.org/doc/pu ... nicity.pdf

All your opinions seem to come from the fact that you think 100% social equality exists in America. That's very heartwarming and optimistic of you, but...no, sorry. We're not quite there yet.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby 20121109 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 am

Just to reiterate what Helmholtz said previously:

Any AA debates will NOT be tolerated and will result in bans. Take that bullshit to the lounge. There is a 100+ page thread dedicated to it. I know URMs may be frustrated due to the devaluation of their accomplishments by certain trolls but please do not entertain them with a response.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby red_alertz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 pm

ragged speaks the truth

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm

red_alertz wrote:ragged speaks the truth

why would you post this right after a mod tells you you'll be banned if you continue this debate. dumb. :roll:

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby red_alertz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:17 pm

shhhh..... maybe i won't be noticed.... just thought it's a little unfair ragged gets banged on so harshly

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby krad » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Southwestern Law is the Reach

GPA: 3.2
LSAT: 151
URM: I don't know if Armenian is considered a URM in Los Angeles anymore.
What got me in: Persistence.

Usually this wouldn't be a reach, but if you look at LSN..they've been denying and wait-listing people with 158's and 3.2's.

Congrats! And as a former LA resident with plenty of Armenian friends, I lol'd @ the bolded :)

kdubb513
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby kdubb513 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Numbers: 3.71 161
URM: Yes


In:
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago

What got me in: I was very involved in Undergrad. I worked really hard on my applications and essays. My LOR were very good.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:28 pm

kdubb513 wrote:Numbers: 3.71 161
URM: Yes


In:
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago

What got me in: I was very involved in Undergrad. I worked really hard on my applications and essays. My LOR were very good.

WOW!!!! congrats. this is a real reach!

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:28 pm

krad wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:Southwestern Law is the Reach

GPA: 3.2
LSAT: 151
URM: I don't know if Armenian is considered a URM in Los Angeles anymore.
What got me in: Persistence.

Usually this wouldn't be a reach, but if you look at LSN..they've been denying and wait-listing people with 158's and 3.2's.

Congrats! And as a former LA resident with plenty of Armenian friends, I lol'd @ the bolded :)

hahaha +1

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby théo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:25 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Just to reiterate what Helmholtz said previously:

Any AA debates will NOT be tolerated and will result in bans. Take that bullshit to the lounge. There is a 100+ page thread dedicated to it. I know URMs may be frustrated due to the devaluation of their accomplishments by certain trolls but please do not entertain them with a response.


My bad for bringing it up again. I tend to get overly passionate about these things. And Berkeley still rejected me! Must be because I'm not a URM. :lol:

rebelx13
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby rebelx13 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 pm

In at Hastings with a 153 and 3.7 (combined UC + community college GPA). Minority, but not URM, and honestly, I felt I had no chance and didn't even spend more than an hour on the entire application. I used my very much polished SCU essay and applied LEOP and got in. Expected the worst, but got good news instead!

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby 20121109 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

red_alertz wrote:shhhh..... maybe i won't be noticed....


Oh no, honey. I noticed. Enjoy your time off.

théo wrote: And Berkeley still rejected me! Must be because I'm not a URM. :lol:


You must be the only one who finds this funny. Feel free to PM me and explain the joke upon return.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
red_alertz wrote:shhhh..... maybe i won't be noticed....


Oh no, honey. I noticed. Enjoy your time off.

théo wrote: And Berkeley still rejected me! Must be because I'm not a URM. :lol:


You must be the only one who finds this funny. Feel free to PM me and explain the joke upon return.

i think he was being sarcastic...i'm assuming because he was defending AA earlier ITT?

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby 20121109 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Gotti wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
red_alertz wrote:shhhh..... maybe i won't be noticed....


Oh no, honey. I noticed. Enjoy your time off.

théo wrote: And Berkeley still rejected me! Must be because I'm not a URM. :lol:


You must be the only one who finds this funny. Feel free to PM me and explain the joke upon return.

i think he was being sarcastic...i'm assuming because he was defending AA earlier ITT?


GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Just to reiterate what Helmholtz said previously:

Any AA debates will NOT be tolerated and will result in bans. Take that bullshit to the lounge. There is a 100+ page thread dedicated to it. I know URMs may be frustrated due to the devaluation of their accomplishments by certain trolls but please do not entertain them with a response.


Any mention/allusion to AA was banworthy after this post. The motivations behind it are irrelevant.

FutureInLaw
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby FutureInLaw » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:33 pm

GPA: 3.7 , LSAT 167
URM: N

Georgetown

Optional Essay: LGBT DS & included "why GULC" in PS

What helped: HYP undergrad? 4 years WE (2 being public interest related)? 3 solid LOR?

Submitted late November, heard back late December

However, with no money (which is expected), I don't think I'll be attending. Will probably be going to BU w/ $85k.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:50 pm

red_alertz wrote:165/2.4, thought i was never going to law school with that GPA, but I got into Golden Gate and Appalachian! woot! both ABA accredited unlike La Verne which also accepted me


Yeah, reapply. I have a * and * and even I got into Rutgers - Camden with money. You can easily get into some mid T2s and probably with a decent amount of scholarships. I mean, if your GPA wasn't so low that LSAT would make you competitive at William & Mary and the like.



Got accepted to Rutgers - Camden with a $5k a year scholarship and got into University of Denver. Waitlisted at Richmond, Penn State, and Oregon.

In all honesty, before I started lurking TLS I honestly thought I'd either be not getting into law school or stuck at some Tier 4 Toilet. Definitely glad I read up on everything, learning that my GPA may hold me back from a lot, but not nearly as much as I dreaded.
Last edited by crossarmant on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby mettasutta » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Never thought I'd post in here!

GPA: 3.82
LSAT: 164
URM: No

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: Boston College ($45K), Notre Dame ($36K), William & Mary ($30K)
OPTIONAL ESSAY: None
WHAT GOT ME IN: Compelling PS and work experience, strong recommendations, a little bit of luck

Wactawshus
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Wactawshus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:08 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Just to reiterate what Helmholtz said previously:

Any AA debates will NOT be tolerated and will result in bans. Take that bullshit to the lounge. There is a 100+ page thread dedicated to it. I know URMs may be frustrated due to the devaluation of their accomplishments by certain trolls but please do not entertain them with a response.



**GASP** Feelings may have been hurt on a message board. If this pertains to you, good luck IRL.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:22 pm

mettasutta wrote:Never thought I'd post in here!

GPA: 3.82
LSAT: 164
URM: No

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: Boston College ($45K), Notre Dame ($36K), William & Mary ($30K)
OPTIONAL ESSAY: None
WHAT GOT ME IN: Compelling PS and work experience, strong recommendations, a little bit of luck

???? Congrats but those schools are targets lol

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby mettasutta » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Gotti wrote:
mettasutta wrote:Never thought I'd post in here!

GPA: 3.82
LSAT: 164
URM: No

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: Boston College ($45K), Notre Dame ($36K), William & Mary ($30K)
OPTIONAL ESSAY: None
WHAT GOT ME IN: Compelling PS and work experience, strong recommendations, a little bit of luck

???? Congrats but those schools are targets lol


Hmmm, I suppose you're right. I do feel incredibly grateful to have these options, as folks with similar/better numbers have been waitlisted/rejected left and right (esp. BC...they are soooo random!) And plus, I applied really late--early Jan.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:20 pm

???? Congrats but those schools are targets lol[/quote]

Hmmm, I suppose you're right. I do feel incredibly grateful to have these options, as folks with similar/better numbers have been waitlisted/rejected left and right (esp. BC...they are soooo random!) And plus, I applied really late--early Jan.[/quote]
Congrats all the same :)

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby mettasutta » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Gotti wrote:???? Congrats but those schools are targets lol


Hmmm, I suppose you're right. I do feel incredibly grateful to have these options, as folks with similar/better numbers have been waitlisted/rejected left and right (esp. BC...they are soooo random!) And plus, I applied really late--early Jan.[/quote]
Congrats all the same :)[/quote]

Same to you! Hopefully some of the T14 waitlists pull through for you...kickass GPA you have there. :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dianersg, guybourdin, lillawyer2, mccracal, proteinshake and 15 guests