I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
somewhere

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby somewhere » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:I've been told at least 15 times by people on TLS that I am NOT a URM. When asking if I had a shot, they said no, you are not a URM only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, not Cubans. So now that I have gotten an acceptance, I am a URM? But not when I hadn't applied to any schools, and had "little to no chance in the t14". I'm sure you're right though, I only got in because me no speaky the language and my parents floated over here on a tire and work picking oranges.

EDIT: I mis-posted my GPA. 3.76 is my real GPA.

you didn't ask the right TLSers, who could tell you that plenty of "white hispanics" get URM boosts all the time, even if their parents own gold mines. just because LSAC says it isn't true doesn't mean it isn't for schools. you don't get into a t6 with your numbers WITHOUT a URM boost, barring some out of this world softs or connections. enjoy your acceptances though - makes me really wish i was cuban.

FTR, if i recall you got into berkeley as well. point furthered.

For what it's worth, I'm a "white Hispanic" (by which I guess you mean non-Mexican and non-Puerto Rican— though of course there are actually plenty of non-white other Hispanics, and also plenty of white Mexicans and Puerto Ricans; or, at least plenty of people who are considered white in Mexico and Puerto Rico even if they aren't considered white anymore once they get to the States), and my LSAT was higher but my GPA lower than cited above. And yet I got rejected from Berkeley. LSAT above their 75th, GPA below their 25th. And non-traditional, abundant work/service experience (probably analogous to, but not exactly, TFA or Peace Corps).

I might have had a better shot if I'd not submitted the same two-page personal statement I submitted everywhere else but gone for the extended statement that Berkeley allows, and/or if I'd submitted earlier (I only went complete mid-January). Still: they didn't give me a spot, despite my strong LSAT and Hispanic-ness. Obviously anything that makes a candidate stand out—like being part of an under-represented group—works in their favor, but it really can be more complicated and unpredictable than you're suggesting.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:20 pm

kruiz88 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:I've been told at least 15 times by people on TLS that I am NOT a URM. When asking if I had a shot, they said no, you are not a URM only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, not Cubans. So now that I have gotten an acceptance, I am a URM? But not when I hadn't applied to any schools, and had "little to no chance in the t14". I'm sure you're right though, I only got in because me no speaky the language and my parents floated over here on a tire and work picking oranges.

you didn't ask the right TLSers, who could tell you that plenty of "white hispanics" get URM boosts all the time, even if their parents own gold mines. just because LSAC says it isn't true doesn't mean it isn't for schools. you don't get into a t6 with your numbers WITHOUT a URM boost, barring some out of this world softs or connections. enjoy your acceptances though - makes me really wish i was cuban.

I mean you are right, and you have reason to be annoyed, but maybe singling out the applicant isn't the best way to express that annoyance. The applicant is just utilizing the system that none of us set up, and like you said, you would do the same if you were a URM.

this is a good point. here is what i'm taking issue with: the original post was "I got into UChi! 167/3.76! Dreams can come true!" when it should have read "I got into UChi! 167/3.76(URM)! Dreams can come true!"

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:29 pm

to be fair, still a reach, but def got a bump

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:33 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
kruiz88 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

I mean you are right, and you have reason to be annoyed, but maybe singling out the applicant isn't the best way to express that annoyance. The applicant is just utilizing the system that none of us set up, and like you said, you would do the same if you were a URM.

this is a good point. here is what i'm taking issue with: the original post was "I got into UChi! 167/3.76! Dreams can come true!" when it should have read "I got into UChi! 167/3.76(URM)! Dreams can come true!"

I refuse to put an asterisk next to the greatest accomplishment of my life. URM non-URM it doesn't matter. I got into The University of Chicago (My Reach). Should I belittle myself and tell everyone on this forum that 'I got in only because I'm a minority' so that YOU can be less annoyed. Screw that. I busted my ass just like everyone else on this website, and I am just as deserving as anyone else who got into UChicago. For you to suggest otherwise really pisses me off.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:34 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:I refuse to put an asterisk next to the greatest accomplishment of my life. URM non-URM it doesn't matter. I got into The University of Chicago (My Reach). Should I belittle myself and tell everyone on this forum that 'I got in only because I'm a minority' so that YOU can be less annoyed. Screw that. I busted my ass just like everyone else on this website, and I am just as deserving as anyone else who got into UChicago. For you to suggest otherwise really pisses me off.

TITCR

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:35 pm

FTR, if i recall you got into berkeley as well. point furthered.[/quote]
I mean you are right, and you have reason to be annoyed, but maybe singling out the applicant isn't the best way to express that annoyance. The applicant is just utilizing the system that none of us set up, and like you said, you would do the same if you were a URM.[/quote]

this is a good point. here is what i'm taking issue with: the original post was "I got into UChi! 167/3.76! Dreams can come true!" when it should have read "I got into UChi! 167/3.76(URM)! Dreams can come true!"[/quote]

I refuse to put an asterisk next to the greatest accomplishment of my life. URM non-URM it doesn't matter. I got into The University of Chicago (My Reach). Should I belittle myself and tell everyone on this forum that 'I got in only because I'm a minority' so that YOU can be less annoyed. Screw that. I busted my ass just like everyone else on this website, and I am just as deserving as anyone else who got into UChicago. For you to suggest otherwise really pisses me off.[/quote]

No it really does.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Gotti wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:I refuse to put an asterisk next to the greatest accomplishment of my life. URM non-URM it doesn't matter. I got into The University of Chicago (My Reach). Should I belittle myself and tell everyone on this forum that 'I got in only because I'm a minority' so that YOU can be less annoyed. Screw that. I busted my ass just like everyone else on this website, and I am just as deserving as anyone else who got into UChicago. For you to suggest otherwise really pisses me off.

TITCR

good for you rbarcelo9 and congrats!

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Gotti wrote:

TITCR

+1.

rebarcelo9, Congratulations! You deserve it -- I'm sure you turned in a wonderful application!

I'm fed up with TLS' obsession with numbers.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:39 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:No it really does.

no, it really does not matter for the purposes of this thread. This isn't "Non-URMs who made it into their reach!", it's I MADE IT INTO MY REACH. UChi was a REACH for rbarcelo because URM or not, URM cycles are unpredictable. Just because he's a URM doesn't mean he doesn't have reaches.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Congrats rbarcelo!

I don't see why TT always has to digress into a URM/non-URM debate. Why can't people just be happy for others? It's supposed to be the happiest thread on TLS! Get over yourselves.

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 pm

krad wrote:Congrats rbarcelo!

I don't see why TT always has to digress into a URM/non-URM debate. Why can't people just be happy for others? It's supposed to be the happiest thread on TLS! Get over yourselves.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Pink wrote:

+10! the hate runs deep on here!

kruiz88

Postby kruiz88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:44 pm

+1.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:44 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
Pink wrote:

haters gon' hate...it's all the jealousy :roll:

apaint

Postby apaint » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Congrats rbarcelo!!

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Congrats rbarcelo :D Chicago is a beautiful city!

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm sorry for changing the scope of TT. Let's move on, and continue with the awesome REACH success stories.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 pm

apaint wrote:Congrats rbarcelo!!

Congrats!! You're also welcome to join us over at the "other Hispanics" thread, which is comprised of several Cubans and some South Americans, if you'd like.

Don't let others get you down, you got into a GREAT school and you should celebrate it!

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 pm

A reach is a reach no matter how you slice it. If you think its a reach- then for you its a reach. No need to let a good thread dissolve into a URM debate. Be happy for the poster, as they clearly didnt think they had a fantastic shot ( or its a safety) at getting in. If you cant be happy for them, then read the thread and move on, or just move on without reading it. I think there is too much emphasis on LSAT and GPA here- clearly schools do take into consideration other parts of your application. Maybe they want to have more things to say at orientation ( we have some career changers, some distiquinshed scholars, etc) or maybe their is other reasons. Who knows. Be happy for the poster, and if you are sore because you used LSN or LSP as a guide to where to apply, even though you wanted to go to another school- then its your loss.

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 pm

northwood wrote:A reach is a reach no matter how you slice it. If you think its a reach- then for you its a reach. No need to let a good thread dissolve into a URM debate. Be happy for the poster, as they clearly didnt think they had a fantastic shot ( or its a safety) at getting in. If you cant be happy for them, then read the thread and move on, or just move on without reading it. I think there is too much emphasis on LSAT and GPA here- clearly schools do take into consideration other parts of your application. Maybe they want to have more things to say at orientation ( we have some career changers, some distiquinshed scholars, etc) or maybe their is other reasons. Who knows. Be happy for the poster, and if you are sore because you used LSN or LSP as a guide to where to apply, even though you wanted to go to another school- then its your loss.

+1. So much sense in this post. Thank you for soundness.

ramhands

Postby ramhands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Yeah, CONGRATS rbarcelo! That is a great accomplishment for ANYBODY and I am very happy for you.

Anyways, I wanted to check in here because I GOT INTO MICHIGAN. IT IS MY DREAM SCHOOL/TOP CHOICE and I really didn't think I had a chance at all. At best, I was hoping to get WL and ride it out until the end... 3.4/168 (numbers are fudged a bit, but with my real #s, LSP had me at 30% DENY). And do I really want to address the URM status here? Anyways, I don't think I am.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:53 pm

This. Besides, URM cycles (especially for "borderline" URMs) are unpredictable. Even if you can retrospectively say "my racial status helped," it's not always enough to be accepted in the first place--especially for a top school like Chicago. You clearly did something right, rbarcelo. Congratulations, man. Ignore the haters.

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 pm

ramhands wrote:Yeah, CONGRATS rbarcelo! That is a great accomplishment for ANYBODY and I am very happy for you.

Anyways, I wanted to check in here because I GOT INTO MICHIGAN. IT IS MY DREAM SCHOOL/TOP CHOICE and I really didn't think I had a chance at all. At best, I was hoping to get WL and ride it out until the end... 3.4/168 (numbers are fudged a bit, but with my real #s, LSP had me at 30% DENY). And do I really want to address the URM status here? Anyways, I don't think I am.

Congratulations! These stories always make me so happy!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Gotti wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
Pink wrote:

haters gon' hate...it's all the jealousy :roll:

just sucks most law schools are going to be comprised of people who are as jealous as some people in this thread. Congrats rbarcelo.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:55 pm

ramhands wrote:Yeah, CONGRATS rbarcelo! That is a great accomplishment for ANYBODY and I am very happy for you.

Congrats! Michigan has an AWESOME campus!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”