I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pleasye

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Pleasye » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 pm

southernsnapp wrote:
arobb527 wrote:Wish I was a minority, gay, and economically disadvantaged...It seems I could go anywhere I want with a 165

Or since you're not, you could have gotten a better lsat score and done better in school for a better gpa, written an excellent PS, gotten great recommendations and go anywhere you want. Plenty of other plain white ppl have made up for their lack of diversity characteristics and gotten into their top choices.

Please do not start that debate here.

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm

2 thoughts--

1. There is someone on LSN who anonymously hates on minority admits to top schools. Rob, is that you?

Absolute egregious conduct, poor sport-ism, and cowardice.<--will make a good attorney (?)

2. Heard on TV today that if I'm unwilling to check a box declaring my "race" (which is a mythical human construct) I am not providing the government with wanted information about diversity, and am therefore "racist."

I am part-minority. I do not like the race box. If I use it, I feel guilty, and if I don't, now--I feel guilty (THANKS TV!)

just to be on-topic:

I did not get into my "reach" today. My app. was held. I did not fill in the "race" box.

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Sorry about your reach. What was it?

sUkNoIrzTforEall

Postby sUkNoIrzTforEall » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Georgia State. We'll see what happens. Thanks :)

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Good luck! Just show them how much you super want to be there, and hopefully they'll say yes.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:08 pm

southernsnapp wrote:
arobb527 wrote:Wish I was a minority, gay, and economically disadvantaged...It seems I could go anywhere I want with a 165

Or since you're not, you could have gotten a better lsat score and done better in school for a better gpa, written an excellent PS, gotten great recommendations and go anywhere you want. Plenty of other plain white ppl have made up for their lack of diversity characteristics and gotten into their top choices.

lol@white people having to make up their 'lack of diversity'
not furthering this debate, just thought that line was funny.

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Pleasye wrote:
southernsnapp wrote:

Please do not start that debate here.

Not trying to start a debate at all! I'm just saying, let's not hate on others' success. This is supposed to be a happy place.

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:12 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
southernsnapp wrote:

lol@white people having to make up their 'lack of diversity'
not furthering this debate, just thought that line was funny.

Haha, I didn't really mean it like that, just wanted to make my idea short. I meant 'lack of minority status, heterosexuality, not being economically disadvantaged, and any other traditional diversity characteristics'.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:34 am

Back to reaches please. Thanks.

mikey101

Postby mikey101 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:46 am

Not sure if an ED acceptance really qualifies as a reach but:

School: DUKE
GPA: 3.8x (just above median)
LSAT: 167 (below 25th percentile)
Non URM

Wicked Pumped!

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 am

mikey101 wrote:Not sure if an ED acceptance really qualifies as a reach but:

Non URM

Wicked Pumped!

Congrats!

Swanky

Postby Swanky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:21 am

mikey101 wrote:Not sure if an ED acceptance really qualifies as a reach but:

Non URM

Wicked Pumped!

Awesome... congratulations!

maqkitty214

Postby maqkitty214 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:57 am

GPA: 3.66 , LSAT: 151
URM: Nope

SMU, PT program (I want to work to reduce debt load)

Optional Essay: Yes, for scholarships. Not really "diverse" but whatever. I also had baller LORs from my boss at work and the director of our region. No academic LORs. Oops.

Submitted 10/11. Admitted 1/31 via status checker.

I was "weak consider" on LSP (Median is 160/3.51), and when I got admitted, my boyfriend said "SUCK ON THAT, WEAK CONSIDER!!" It was pretty cute.

I contemplated re-taking, but instead just spent hours and hours on my PS, resume and extra essay to show how awesome of a candidate I was. Figured if I was rejected, I could re-take in June. No need for that now. Success.

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 am

maqkitty214 wrote:GPA: 3.66 , LSAT: 151
URM: Nope

SMU, PT program (I want to work to reduce debt load)

Optional Essay: Yes, for scholarships. Not really "diverse" but whatever. I also had baller LORs from my boss at work and the director of our region. No academic LORs. Oops.

Submitted 10/11. Admitted 1/31 via status checker.

I was "weak consider" on LSP (Median is 160/3.51), and when I got admitted, my boyfriend said "SUCK ON THAT, WEAK CONSIDER!!" It was pretty cute.

I contemplated re-taking, but instead just spent hours and hours on my PS, resume and extra essay to show how awesome of a candidate I was. Figured if I was rejected, I could re-take in June. No need for that now. Success.

That is awesome. Congratulations!

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 am

Congrats to the recent reaches! Awesome job yall!

Impatient

Postby Impatient » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Anywhere you want? People in this forum would offer you the opportunity to skip law school and just replace the professor if you're a minority over 160. If you were to break 170, they'd give you their first born.

plutonium210

Postby plutonium210 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Does the fact that I find the topic "I made it into my 'reach'" absolutely hilarious mean I'm too immature for Cornell?

sunlitstars

Postby sunlitstars » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Impatient wrote:

Serious question: How would a law school even know your economically disadvantaged? There's nothing about income on any apps I've submitted.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 pm

sunlitstars wrote:
Impatient wrote:

Serious question: How would a law school even know your economically disadvantaged? There's nothing about income on any apps I've submitted.

Berkeley there is. But other that that, you need to write a DS.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

sunlitstars wrote:
Impatient wrote:

A good place to put that would be your PS.

xtine

Postby xtine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Northwestern's JD-LLM International Human Rights program!!

LSAT:170
GPA: 3.2
Hispanic, but not URM

sunlitstars

Postby sunlitstars » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:16 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
sunlitstars wrote:
Impatient wrote:

Berkeley there is. But other that that, you need to write a DS.

Are they notified if you recieved a LSAC fee waiver?

sunlitstars

Postby sunlitstars » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Serious question: How would a law school even know your economically disadvantaged? There's nothing about income on any apps I've submitted.[/quote]

Berkeley there is. But other that that, you need to write a DS.[/quote]

Are they notified if you recieved a LSAC fee waiver?[/quote]

I guess I also wonder if it even matters, while there is for minorities, I've never seen stats for the percentage of disadvantaged students they've submitted. Esp. where most of the admittees are no longer dependants and might still be school, it wouldn't be uncommon to fall below the poverty line.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:25 pm

sunlitstars wrote:
Impatient wrote:

then you didn't apply to boalt.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:42 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
sunlitstars wrote:
Impatient wrote:

then you didn't apply to boalt.

Ha I forgot all about that.

I believe there is another app that asks, can't remember though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”