I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Impatient
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Impatient » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Gotti wrote:
Impatient wrote:
neonx wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:GPA: 3.65, 156
URM: AA male

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL- UVA

Optional Essay: DS, Why UVA

I think my statements and continued interest throughout the cycle helped a lot. I visited the school, sat in on a class, emailed the teacher of the class and let her know that I really enjoyed her teaching method, and thanking her for letting me observe. I had an awesome talk with Mr. Faulk during my visit, which I think went a long way. I had really strong softs for coming straight out of UG. Many will say I only got in because I'm an URM, but honestly, although being an URM helped a lot, I think the work I put into my application helped a great deal as well.

GL to all still waiting.


I am not on the URM hatorade. This is amazing -- and you earned that admissions! Congrats!



Pft. Earned? We all know what got him in.

STFU. UVA is #10. You think he got in with a 156/3.65 just because he was a URM? You know how many URMs apply to UVA with better numbers and don't get in?

So stop talking shit and bringing other people down when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.


Umm, No. I, and everyone else, know exactly what got him in. Hundreds of people with far better scores and GPA's got passed over and he got in. Why do you have to pretend like you can't say the reason a 156 got in and someone with 10 more points on the lsat didn't? You're going to law school? Someone in preschool can identify the reason. The fact that you get so hostile at the hint of reality just validates what I'm saying. I'd like to know what excruciating life experience in inherited exclusively to blacks/latinos/native americans that can't be found in any other minority group. If you think that there is AA in the courtroom, you're wrong. At what point do you suggest letting people be judged equally by the quality of their merits and not by their skin?

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Impatient wrote:
Gotti wrote:STFU. UVA is #10. You think he got in with a 156/3.65 just because he was a URM? You know how many URMs apply to UVA with better numbers and don't get in?

So stop talking shit and bringing other people down when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.


Umm, No. I, and everyone else, know exactly what got him in. Hundreds of people with far better scores and GPA's got passed over and he got in. Why do you have to pretend like you can't say the reason a 156 got in and someone with 10 more points on the lsat didn't? You're going to law school? Someone in preschool can identify the reason. The fact that you get so hostile at the hint of reality just validates what I'm saying. I'd like to know what excruciating life experience in inherited exclusively to blacks/latinos/native americans that can't be found in any other minority group. If you think that there is AA in the courtroom, you're wrong. At what point do you suggest letting people be judged equally by the quality of their merits and not by their skin?

lulz dumb! of course there is AA in place, but again, how many URMs with higher scores and GPA's do you think were rejected? are YOU going to law school, or can you just not read?

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Impatient, what's your point dude? Do you want us to have sympathy for your 3.3 UGA GPA and 162 LSAT? Sympathy for the dings in your cycle? You're not an underrepresented minority. You will have opportunities that URMs will NEVER have. Take solace in that and keep it moving.

User avatar
Bluben
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Bluben » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Impatient = flame. Only 3 post and its about AA... hmmmmm

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Impatient wrote:
Umm, No. I, and everyone else, know exactly what got him in. Hundreds of people with far better scores and GPA's got passed over and he got in. Why do you have to pretend like you can't say the reason a 156 got in and someone with 10 more points on the lsat didn't? You're going to law school? Someone in preschool can identify the reason. The fact that you get so hostile at the hint of reality just validates what I'm saying. I'd like to know what excruciating life experience in inherited exclusively to blacks/latinos/native americans that can't be found in any other minority group. If you think that there is AA in the courtroom, you're wrong. At what point do you suggest letting people be judged equally by the quality of their merits and not by their skin?


Yo daawg there's an AA debate thread in the lounge. I suggest you go there.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby krad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Aww, I hate it when TT gets all downer and debate-y. Come ON peeps! TT should be the most positive of all!

User avatar
xtine
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby xtine » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Impatient wrote:
Umm, No. I, and everyone else, know exactly what got him in. Hundreds of people with far better scores and GPA's got passed over and he got in. Why do you have to pretend like you can't say the reason a 156 got in and someone with 10 more points on the lsat didn't? You're going to law school? Someone in preschool can identify the reason. The fact that you get so hostile at the hint of reality just validates what I'm saying. I'd like to know what excruciating life experience in inherited exclusively to blacks/latinos/native americans that can't be found in any other minority group. If you think that there is AA in the courtroom, you're wrong. At what point do you suggest letting people be judged equally by the quality of their merits and not by their skin?


Very small point that I found interesting-- not all Hispanics are URMs. Just Mexicans-Americans and Puerto Ricans. Just sayin'. Don't lump them all together.

Anyway, regardless of all this URM noise, CONGRATS on getting in!!!! :)

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Top14Hope » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:55 pm

quote]

Umm, No. I, and everyone else, know exactly what got him in. Hundreds of people with far better scores and GPA's got passed over and he got in. Why do you have to pretend like you can't say the reason a 156 got in and someone with 10 more points on the lsat didn't? You're going to law school? Someone in preschool can identify the reason. The fact that you get so hostile at the hint of reality just validates what I'm saying. I'd like to know what excruciating life experience in inherited exclusively to blacks/latinos/native americans that can't be found in any other minority group. If you think that there is AA in the courtroom, you're wrong. At what point do you suggest letting people be judged equally by the quality of their merits and not by their skin?[/quote]


10 points more on the LSAT is a lot less impressive than going through what most URM's go through in order to get where this one is. You have no idea what you're talking about. The LSAT can be mastered by anyone willing or able to put in the effort. The problem with URMs (in general) is they might not be able to master the LSAT because they simply don't have examples through friends and family (in general)on how to go about doing so. Also, in general, URM’s are not giving the same kind of education early in their lives. This makes them have to catch up quickly throughout HS and college and because of this, they should not be expected to be able to read the LSAT as quickly as you can. They CAN still answer the questions correctly, but because of their lack of experience with reading (in general), they need more time! Eventually, if a law school let’s in a URM who lacks in these areas, that person will have a few more years of education to catch up. WHICH IS FAIR! (in general) Also, I agree that eventually this should stop. However, anyone with eyes can see that the life of a URM has yet to be giving the same shot as the life of a non-urm. Of course, America is changing, and soon, if not already, whites will be the URM’s and this rule will not be necessary. However, that time has not come, and unfourantly URM’s are still at a disadvantage. For those of you who point to the public school system as justification for a URM’s “fair chance,” you are simply overlooking the poor quality of the schools they go to (some/in general) and the fact the 90%(pulling this stat out of my ass) of them have one or more parents who aren’t what you would refer to as educated, and are therefore unable to lead their children by example. If you still don’t understand, keep trying.
P.S. I'm white
Last edited by Top14Hope on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Impatient just needs a sip of something.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Let's get back on track peoples! Any other reaches?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby subtle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:57 pm

What is the point of affirmative action discussions? People's opinions tend to be set, and until you're in a position of power (let's say determining the policy for law school admissions) your opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Besides, affirmative action is not about individuals. Certainly, there are individual minorities who are much more well off than individual whites. That said, affirmative action is an imperfect attempt to correct overarching patterns for entire groups, not specific individuals. That specific individuals benefit speaks to the fact that it's not perfect. But life is neither perfect nor fair.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Top14Hope wrote:

Umm, No. I, and everyone else, know exactly what got him in. Hundreds of people with far better scores and GPA's got passed over and he got in. Why do you have to pretend like you can't say the reason a 156 got in and someone with 10 more points on the lsat didn't? You're going to law school? Someone in preschool can identify the reason. The fact that you get so hostile at the hint of reality just validates what I'm saying. I'd like to know what excruciating life experience in inherited exclusively to blacks/latinos/native americans that can't be found in any other minority group. If you think that there is AA in the courtroom, you're wrong. At what point do you suggest letting people be judged equally by the quality of their merits and not by their skin?



10 points more on the LSAT is a lot less impressive than going through what most URM's go through in order to get where this one is. You have no idea what you're talking about. The LSAT can be mastered by anyone willing or able to put in the effort. The problem with URMs (in general) is they might not be able to master the LSAT because they simply don't have examples through friends and family (in general)on how to go about doing so. Also, in general, URM’s are not giving the same kind of education early in their lives. This makes them have to catch up quickly throughout HS and college and because of this, they should not be expected to be able to read the LSAT as quickly as you can. They CAN still answer the questions correctly, but because of their lack of experience with reading (in general), they need more time! Eventually, if a law school let’s in a URM who lacks in these areas, that person will have a few more years of education to catch up. WHICH IS FAIR! (in general) Also, I agree that eventually this should stop. However, anyone with eyes can see that the life of a URM has yet to be giving the same shot as the life of a non-urm. Of course, America is changing, and soon, if not already, whites will be the URM’s and this rule will not be necessary. However, that time has not come, and unfourantly URM’s are still at a disadvantage. For those of you who point to the public school system as justification for a URM’s “fair chance,” you are simply overlooking the poor quality of the schools they go to (some/in general) and the fact the 90%(pulling this stat out of my ass) of them have one or more parents who aren’t what you would refer to as educated, and are therefore unable to lead their children by example. If you still don’t understand, keep trying.


TL;DR

I suggest http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145363

So that everyone's pro and anti AA boring rehashed arguments can all be kept in the same place.

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Top14Hope » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:04 pm

subtle wrote:What is the point of affirmative action discussions? People's opinions tend to be set, and until you're in a position of power (let's say determining the policy for law school admissions) your opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Besides, affirmative action is not about individuals. Certainly, there are individual minorities who are much more well off than individual whites. That said, affirmative action is an imperfect attempt to correct overarching patterns for entire groups, not specific individuals. That specific individuals benefit speaks to the fact that it's not perfect. But life is neither perfect nor fair.


No! Don't be quiet! Don't except people's incorrect rationale as ok. Don't just say "People's opinions tend to be set," continue to point to their flaws in reasoning so they can learn the truth, or at least the full opinion of the opposing side.

Ignorance does not equal bliss.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Kinderby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:07 pm

rad law wrote:TL;DR

I suggest http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145363

So that everyone's pro and anti AA boring rehashed arguments can all be kept in the same place.

Lol. Thanks, bro. :)

I hope to be posting here tomorrow!
Last edited by Kinderby on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
123xalady
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby 123xalady » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
subtle wrote:What is the point of affirmative action discussions? People's opinions tend to be set, and until you're in a position of power (let's say determining the policy for law school admissions) your opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Besides, affirmative action is not about individuals. Certainly, there are individual minorities who are much more well off than individual whites. That said, affirmative action is an imperfect attempt to correct overarching patterns for entire groups, not specific individuals. That specific individuals benefit speaks to the fact that it's not perfect. But life is neither perfect nor fair.


No! Don't be quiet! Don't except people's incorrect rationale as ok. Don't just say "People's opinions tend to be set," continue to point to their flaws in reasoning so they can learn the truth, or at least the full opinion of the opposing side.

Ignorance does not equal bliss.



uh yeah, anyways, I've been meaning to put my reach admit up for a few weeks:

171
3.49
non-urm

In at UPenn! (no ED)

Wrote the five year and diversity. I think these essays and my personal statement are what got me in .

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:10 pm

123xalady wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
subtle wrote:What is the point of affirmative action discussions? People's opinions tend to be set, and until you're in a position of power (let's say determining the policy for law school admissions) your opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Besides, affirmative action is not about individuals. Certainly, there are individual minorities who are much more well off than individual whites. That said, affirmative action is an imperfect attempt to correct overarching patterns for entire groups, not specific individuals. That specific individuals benefit speaks to the fact that it's not perfect. But life is neither perfect nor fair.


No! Don't be quiet! Don't except people's incorrect rationale as ok. Don't just say "People's opinions tend to be set," continue to point to their flaws in reasoning so they can learn the truth, or at least the full opinion of the opposing side.

Ignorance does not equal bliss.



uh yeah, anyways, I've been meaning to put my reach admit up for a few weeks:

171
3.49
non-urm

In at UPenn! (no ED)

Wrote the five year and diversity. I think these essays and my personal statement are what got me in .


Congrats! Despite creepy Lionel staring at me!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm

161
3.1
URM

in at Yale!!!! just found out today!!!!

thanks everybody for the great advice here on TSL!!!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:161
3.1
URM

in at Yale!!!! just found out today!!!!

thanks everybody for the great advice here on TSL!!!


Grats! I'm so happy for you!

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Is there an "I didn't even make it into my 'targets'" thread to mirror this one?
:x

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Hannibal wrote:Is there an "I didn't even make it into my 'targets'" thread to mirror this one?
:x


Make the thread bro. You know you want to.

User avatar
eaglemuncher
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Hannibal wrote:Is there an "I didn't even make it into my 'targets'" thread to mirror this one?
:x


Start it, I'll be there

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:22 pm

I'll wait till I hear back from everywhere to make it, but damn.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:24 pm

rad law wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:161
3.1
URM

in at Yale!!!! just found out today!!!!

thanks everybody for the great advice here on TSL!!!


Grats! I'm so happy for you!


OMFG, happy for you too, bro. You're the 139/2.4 Eskimo URM who made it into Brooklyn Law, right?

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Helmholtz wrote:161
3.1
URM

in at Yale!!!! just found out today!!!!

thanks everybody for the great advice here on TSL!!!


WOW congratulations, that's amazing!!!!

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Helmholtz wrote:161
3.1
URM

in at Yale!!!! just found out today!!!!

thanks everybody for the great advice here on TSL!!!


smh.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], fancyfluter22, Poplar7spruce, smartmoon, worried0L and 6 guests