I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:38 am

HeavenWood wrote:Over the years, my father donated a grand total of $0.00 to Penn.

Haha he needs to be a better alumnus. I donate to my ug alumni association and I am involved in it too, just because I want to give something back. I will probably be involved with Penn, but I would rather donate to my state ug.

I don't think it matters too much how much you donate at Penn, but it helps if you are on the active donor list. Again this is for ug. I have no idea about law school.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Northwestern!

153/3.85

Did all optional essays and interviewed!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 pm

dddhhh wrote:Northwestern!

153/3.85

Thats awesome!! URM?

xtine

Postby xtine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:06 pm

This string is amazing and should give everybody hope.

GPA: 3.22 LSAT: 170
URM: Hispanic

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: UVA

OPTIONAL ESSAY: No, but had some Why UVA stuff in the personal statement

WHAT GOT ME IN: Who knows? In-state, URM, speak Chinese and Spanish, cool softs (work/study in China) and 3 years WE

So far UVA is the only school I've heard back from. I also applied to Columbia (yeah right), Northwestern, Georgetown and then Boston U and U of Washington for safeties (don't need those anymore!)
Last edited by xtine on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:06 pm

dddhhh wrote:Northwestern!

153/3.85

CONGRATS!!
That is awesome!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:13 pm

xtine wrote:This string is amazing and should give everybody hope.

WHAT GOT ME IN: Who knows? In-state, URM, speak Chinese and Spanish, cool softs (work/study in China) and 3 years WE

So far UVA is the only school I've heard back from. I also applied to Columbia (yeah right), Northwestern, Georgetown and then Boston U and U of Washington for safeties (don't need those anymore!)

I don't even think this is close to being a reach for you haha. but congrats anyhow!

xtine

Postby xtine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Barbie wrote:
xtine wrote:This string is amazing and should give everybody hope.

I don't even think this is close to being a reach for you haha. but congrats anyhow!

aw, thanks Barbie :) I posted my stats on another string and everybody was like WHAT??? HOW DID YOU GET IN?? and they decided it must have been the URM bump, so it certainly felt like a reach after that haha. I'm loving the positivity and support on this string, though.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:04 pm

xtine wrote:
Barbie wrote:I don't even think this is close to being a reach for you haha. but congrats anyhow!

aw, thanks Barbie :) I posted my stats on another string and everybody was like WHAT??? HOW DID YOU GET IN?? and they decided it must have been the URM bump, so it certainly felt like a reach after that haha. I'm loving the positivity and support on this string, though.

What are UVA's medians? I figure you gotta be real close or at their LSAT one.

xtine

Postby xtine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Barbie wrote:
xtine wrote:
Barbie wrote:I don't even think this is close to being a reach for you haha. but congrats anyhow!

What are UVA's medians? I figure you gotta be real close or at their LSAT one.

Well you're right, their median LSAT is a 170, but their median GPA is a 3.85, so I was, um, quite a bit under that! haha

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:13 pm

xtine wrote:Well you're right, their median LSAT is a 170, but their median GPA is a 3.85, so I was, um, quite a bit under that! haha

URM boost trumps that GPA difference SO quick! :)I wouldn't be surprised if you continued to surprise yourself.

SRQmarie

Postby SRQmarie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:56 pm

mhernton wrote:GPA: 2.2 LSAT : 155
URM: Yes
Reach The College of William & Mary School of Law

Optional Essay: Yes on 'Pride'

I got in because I'm a Combat Veteran, that was recalled to active duty as I was preparing for the LSAT while preparing for deployment, and then took the test once again while in the Middle East during operations. I have an MBA from UCSD, I'm over 30 with over 10 years of work experience both military, financial planning, and tech consulting, applied early (Oct). Before the cries of you only go in because you're a URM start, let me say that there are plenty of URMs that don't have my UGPA and my LSAT, both of which are well below the median. I'm truly a case where the Adcom looked beyond the numbers

Congratulations, and thank you for your service!!!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:02 am

SRQmarie wrote:
mhernton wrote:GPA: 2.2 LSAT : 155
URM: Yes
Reach The College of William & Mary School of Law

Optional Essay: Yes on 'Pride'

I got in because I'm a Combat Veteran, that was recalled to active duty as I was preparing for the LSAT while preparing for deployment, and then took the test once again while in the Middle East during operations. I have an MBA from UCSD, I'm over 30 with over 10 years of work experience both military, financial planning, and tech consulting, applied early (Oct). Before the cries of you only go in because you're a URM start, let me say that there are plenty of URMs that don't have my UGPA and my LSAT, both of which are well below the median. I'm truly a case where the Adcom looked beyond the numbers

Congratulations, and thank you for your service!!!

+1

Even for a URM, that acceptance is exceptional.

Congratulations! You truly deserve it. :)

mez06

Postby mez06 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:42 am

GPA: 3.18 LSAT: 156
URM: AA Male

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: University of Illinois-C w/20k a year

OPTIONAL ESSAY: No, but had some Why Illinois stuff in the personal statement

WHAT GOT ME IN: URM, My long list of softs (started non-profit, developed program for underrepresented youth, Legislative Intern, + more) Excellent Rec letters, and 2 years WE for Fortune 100 company

123kl

Postby 123kl » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Harvard

169/4.03, non-urm

What got me in-- solid gpa from ivy, work experience with doj in one of my legal interests, tons of focused ecs with leadership, diversity statement

Flett

Postby Flett » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:03 pm

GPA: 3.15 , LSAT 163
URM: Native American

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: Cornell

OPTIONAL ESSAY: DS? I don't remember if it was optional.

EA, URM status, and a strong PS which included some diversity, a lot of adversity, and a dash work experience to tie it all together in a "Why Law" kind of way.
I should never have been accepted, even with a URM bump, but I am very very thankful.

Submitted 11/2 (12:35 am) and was still considered EA.

logistikon

Postby logistikon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:It's sad that law is such a numbers-driven field that a single bad day on the LSAT can really, truly wipe out 4 years of hard work and determination whereas you can jack up 2 entire years of undergrad, wake up, get decent grades and still get into a top 14 school with a solid LSAT day. This is imbalanced in a system already full of imbalances. But like I said before, I "own" my LSAT performance and am not trying to make excuses for it or anything of the sort.

this is why you didn't do well on the lsat. circular reasoning.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:34 pm

logistikon wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:It's sad that law is such a numbers-driven field that a single bad day on the LSAT can really, truly wipe out 4 years of hard work and determination whereas you can jack up 2 entire years of undergrad, wake up, get decent grades and still get into a top 14 school with a solid LSAT day. This is imbalanced in a system already full of imbalances. But like I said before, I "own" my LSAT performance and am not trying to make excuses for it or anything of the sort.

This is unnecessary...stop being an asshole and going back to old posts to find something to comment negatively about :roll:

& She's right. A high GPA earned over 4 years of hard work should have more weight than a test you study for for 3 months.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Gotti wrote:
logistikon wrote:

This is unnecessary...stop being an asshole and going back to old posts to find something to comment negatively about :roll:

& She's right. A high GPA earned over 4 years of hard work should have more weight than a test you study for for 3 months.

I'm an advocate of Boalt's 50/50 formula (being holistic with respect to their medians).

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Gotti wrote:& She's right. A high GPA earned over 4 years of hard work should have more weight than a test you study for for 3 months.

And I'm really lucky that it doesn't. I wasn't on TLS in undergrad, so I didn't know my 3.6 was a weak GPA (for t14, at least).

dood

Postby dood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:44 pm

I got all excited to come read some inspirational reach stories when this popped up today... :(

Congrats to the few that I read before the derail!

(the GPA/LSAT debate is unending, come on, don't bring it ITT)

logistikon

Postby logistikon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Gotti wrote:
logistikon wrote:

for what reason is this true other than the terrible one given by aggiegrad? and of course, ignoring the fact that lsat score is a consistently better indicator of success in law school than gpa?

gpa>lsat advocates seem to always have this bizarre atittude that law schools care about lsat more than gpa for no reason, as if it's baffling to them. get real.
Last edited by logistikon on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Gotti wrote:
logistikon wrote:

I'm certainly inclined to agree. Although it makes sense that the LSAT is instituted to be the great equalizer since a 4.0 at HYP isn't the same as a 4.0 from SouthNorthEastern University, the test in itself is a bit unfair for those high acheiving applicants (GPA wise) that just cannot get it done on exam day. Really sucks for high anxiety test takers. I would have thought that reverse splitters would get more love than traditional splitters, something that was refuted when I joined the boards.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:48 pm

krad wrote:(the GPA/LSAT debate is unending, come on, don't bring it ITT)

+1

AdamAndSteve

Postby AdamAndSteve » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:25 pm

This thread is a bastion for feel-good stories and positivity. Let's keep it that way.

I'm looking forward to posting in this thread soon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”