I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fl0w

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby fl0w » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:35 pm

sharthree wrote:G.P.A (3.4) LSAT (160)
URM: Yes--African American/Native American
Reach: NYU, UVA, Illinois, Cornell, GMU

Optional Essays: No.

What got me in: I've been told by all admissions offices that my personal statement and diversity statements were above average. I also had a very good LOR.

as someone with similar numbers to you (3.3 and 161) and AA URM status, this is encouraging for me. Thanks and congrats!

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:39 pm

GPA: 3.99
LSAT: 166 (twice!)

URM: No, but I've got a funny last name.

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: Michigan.

Optional Essay: Two; Why Michigan? and a Diversity Statement. Both were pretty strong, I believe.

Finally, what you think (totally subjective) got you into that school: PS, DS and Why Mich? most likely put me over. I don't think my GPA hurt me much either.

I submitted 10/16.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:47 pm

snickersnicker wrote:GPA: 3.99

Optional Essay: Two; Why Michigan? and a Diversity Statement. Both were pretty strong, I believe.

Finally, what you think (totally subjective) got you into that school: PS, DS and Why Mich? most likely put me over. I don't think my GPA hurt me much either.

I submitted 10/16.

CONGRATS I am sincerely happy for you. However it makes me wonder why I didn't write the why Michigan essay. We have the exact same numbers and I feel I am screwed for not writing that essay.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Congratulations to everybody who made their reaches; that must be awesome. A lot of these posts just aren't reaches though, unless my idea of a reach is incorrect. If one of your numbers is around the 25th percentile and your other number is around or above the 75th percentile, it's not a reach because you have a very good shot at the school. A lot of the posts in this thread have been like that.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:GPA: 3.99

I submitted 10/16.

CONGRATS I am sincerely happy for you. However it makes me wonder why I didn't write the why Michigan essay. We have the exact same numbers and I feel I am screwed for not writing that essay.
He was also ED.

amandap

Postby amandap » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Reach: Berkeley & Cornell
Numbers: 3.65/165
URM: Yes
Reason I was admitted: Strong softs, GPA addendum, UCB undergrad, non-traditional student
Last edited by amandap on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:34 pm

amandap wrote:Reach: Berkeley
Reason I think I was admitted: Strong softs, GPA addendum, UCB undergrad?

:roll:

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:43 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:A lot of these posts just aren't reaches though, unless my idea of a reach is incorrect.

Fact. I'm sorry, but while I most certainly congratulate everyone who gets into the schools they're hoping to get into, I'm still quite certain that a 3.9X GPA with a 17X LSAT score is most certainly NOT a reach for anywhere (Heck, if you have over a 165 LSAT and over a 3.7 GPA, you're not "reaching" for any schools). Seriously, you could be accepted to Yale with that, and I'll say congrats for sure--but even there, that's not a reaching score. There's definitely a difference between getting into a reach and getting into the school you want to go to.

That said, I've recently been accepted to Iowa (highest ranking accept yet)

GPA: 3.08
LSAT: 163
URM: Kinda--I'm able to check both American Indian and Caucasian

No optional essay.

I think it was a combination of factors that got me in. 1) I'm a Peace Corps volunteer. 2) I can check the American Indian box. 3) I had a rocking PS. 4) I have a crazy amount of work and additional volunteer experience.

I also can't really consider Iowa a reach--my LSAT was well within their range (their 75% is 164) even if my GPA was well below.

Richard Rorty

Postby Richard Rorty » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:00 pm

thepcv wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:A lot of these posts just aren't reaches though, unless my idea of a reach is incorrect.

Fact. I'm sorry, but while I most certainly congratulate everyone who gets into the schools they're hoping to get into, I'm still quite certain that a 3.9X GPA with a 17X LSAT score is most certainly NOT a reach for anywhere (Heck, if you have over a 165 LSAT and over a 3.7 GPA, you're not "reaching" for any schools). Seriously, you could be accepted to Yale with that, and I'll say congrats for sure--but even there, that's not a reaching score. There's definitely a difference between getting into a reach and getting into the school you want to go to.

False.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:08 pm

amandap wrote:Target: Berkeley
The only reason I was admitted: cuz I'm a URM

ftfy

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Richard Rorty wrote:
thepcv wrote:

False.

Technically it's true, just highly likely. There is at least one person, could be you.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:13 pm

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
Richard Rorty wrote:
thepcv wrote:

False.

Technically it's true, just highly unlikely. There is at least one person, could be you.

Which makes it a reach, if that.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:27 am

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
Richard Rorty wrote:
thepcv wrote:

False.

Technically it's true, just highly unlikely. There is at least one person, could be you.

Yale was obviously an extreme example (and meant more in line with the 3.9X GPA with a 17X LSAT--not the parenthetical 165/3.7), and again, whatever school you get accepted at is worthy of congrats. Seriously!

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:39 pm

thepcv wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote: (Heck, if you have over a 165 LSAT and over a 3.7 GPA, you're not "reaching" for any schools).

Jesus, wouldn't it be wonderful if that was actually the case?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Ragged wrote:

ftfy

lol let her dream! she might work harder cause of it.

either ways congrats amadap!

amandap

Postby amandap » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:22 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Ragged wrote:

ftfy

Actually I think the reason I was admitted was because of my personal statement. I wrote about how I had a child before I graduated from high school, and another while at Berkeley without any time off. I raised them as a single mother. And I wrote a GPA addendum explaining why I had below average grades the semester I had my daughter, and how I have gotten straight A pluses for the last 2 years, while working and doing volunteer work.

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Ragged wrote:

ftfy
im_blue wrote:
amandap wrote:Reach: Berkeley
Reason I think I was admitted: Strong softs, GPA addendum, UCB undergrad?

:roll:

So I suppose URMs shouldn't speak about getting into their reaches on this board? Obviously they ONLY got in because they are minorities. :roll:

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 pm

amandap wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Ragged wrote:

ftfy

Actually I think the reason I was admitted was because of my personal statement. I wrote about how I had a child before I graduated from high school, and another while at Berkeley without any time off. I raised them as a single mother. And I wrote a GPA addendum explaining why I had below average grades the semester I had my daughter, and how I have gotten straight A pluses for the last 2 years, while working and doing volunteer work.

Congrats on a great acceptance! Good luck next year.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:37 pm

amandap wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Ragged wrote:

ftfy

Congrats amadap!!!!! That's awesome!!!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:19 pm

What's with the URM hate? Bunch of assuming, bitter know-it-alls.

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Veritas wrote:What's with the URM hate? Bunch of assuming, bitter know-it-alls.

Well you know.... everyone can have softs that help EXCEPT URMs who are dumb and need to fool themselves that it wasn't just their skin color that got them in. :roll:

Kojack

Postby Kojack » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:12 am

misslawyer2013 wrote:

Well you know.... everyone can have softs that help EXCEPT URMs who are dumb and need to fool themselves that it wasn't just their skin color that got them in. :roll:

I am a URM and I am in no way blind to the aid it provides in acceptances. I find your categorization of URM's offensive. Shame on you.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:14 am

Okay, I this is not the point of the thread. Can we not talk about the philosophy behind AA or URM?

It's for people who got into their reach schools.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:18 am

Kojack wrote:
misslawyer2013 wrote:

I am a URM and I am in no way blind to the aid it provides in acceptances. I find your categorization of URM's offensive. Shame on you.
It was obviously sarcasm. The :roll: would tip off most people.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”