I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby icouldbuyu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:45 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Accepted: UVA
GPA: 3.88
LSAT: 167
Non-URM
Notes: My PS & DS got me in


Did you ED


Yes

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

No way!? Congrats! Are you an URM/Do you mind me asking what school you were accepted to? Hearing that you got in to a school that you were at the 25% for both LSAT/GPA gives me a little more hope for the school I ED to :).


No-not URM. I was at 25% for LSAT, but below 25% for GPA. I'd rather not say which school because this is "Top Law Schools" and this isn't a "Top Law School." But I'm not flaming and that's a fact. It's a solid school for "me" based on my LSAT/GPA. :wink:


:shock: Big kudos then. Its really, really impressive.


I appreciate that. It's not my choice school, but based upon their 25%-75% stats, then yes than I suppose I'm a reach. Hoping for other "reaches" then... :o

Edit: To be fair, LS Predictor gave this school a "Consider" for me. So...is this really a reach? And if so, should people consider anything lower than "admit" or "strong consider" when applying?[/quote]

Consider on LSN is definitely a reach.[/quote]

Did not know that. Now I'm feeling bad about the rest I applied to... :roll:

I remember reading a thread (I think I made it months ago) about LS Predictor and someone told me that they got into schools that LS Predictor said flat out "Deny" and they were rejected from schools that LS Predictor said "Consider." Hmm...

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:10 pm

That is really impressive regardless of the school rank. Seriously, congrats!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Barbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:22 pm

"Consider" on LSP is a reach?? Then I guess I've been accepted to 4 "reaches".. I considered them targets though haha.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 pm

i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 pm

northwood wrote:i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.

So regardless of the fact that I am below median for both LSAT and GPA, the fact that LSP has me at "consider" this school is a target?

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby czelede » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:57 pm

northwood wrote:i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.


+1

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Barbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm

lalalawya wrote:
northwood wrote:i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.

So regardless of the fact that I am below median for both LSAT and GPA, the fact that LSP has me at "consider" this school is a target?


Not necessarily. What I said is that the schools I've been accepted to were "consider" but I considered them "targets".
Surely, there are a few schools I am "consider" at that are definitly reaches for me, but Ragged's comment above (assuming he meant LSP and not LSN) seems inaccurate for me.

LSP is a crap shoot anyways, really. They pretty much put me at "consider" 90% of the places I'm applying. The other 10% is DENY haha. Now, THOSE are definitly reaches :D

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 pm

being below both medians= reach( but it depends on how far below the medians you are- that should be left up to you if you want to consider it a reach or target)
weak consider, or deny= reach
consider less than 50%= reach

below both 25%= uuber reach

applying to a "black box " school= flip a coin( no one really knows, so they get their own special category)

hope this helps

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:53 pm

northwood wrote:being below both medians= reach( but it depends on how far below the medians you are- that should be left up to you if you want to consider it a reach or target)
weak consider, or deny= reach
consider less than 50%= reach

below both 25%= uuber reach

applying to a "black box " school= flip a coin( no one really knows, so they get their own special category)

hope this helps

It does!

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:37 am

northwood wrote:being below both medians= reach( but it depends on how far below the medians you are- that should be left up to you if you want to consider it a reach or target)
weak consider, or deny= reach
consider less than 50%= reach

below both 25%= uuber reach

applying to a "black box " school= flip a coin( no one really knows, so they get their own special category)

hope this helps


Here's my question: If being below median (25%-75% range) makes the school a reach, then what about the 25% (1 out of 4) that are getting in? All URMs?


I appreciate the praise. I didn't list my acceptance on here because I'm a bit embarrassed of the schools I'm applying to, compared to those of other TLS forum members. But yes, to me it's a huge deal and makes me feel great. :)

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 am

reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 am

northwood wrote:reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!


So then 25% of people in law school are reaches? (No flame attempt-srs question)

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:45 am

northwood wrote:reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!


Adcomms let in a few reaches every year then make sure to spread stories about them so more people will apply. True story.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
northwood wrote:reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!


So then 25% of people in law school are reaches? (No flame attempt-srs question)



People below 25th percentile on one stat who get in usually are above median/75th on the other stat, so it depends on your definition of a reach. Some schools are known to take splitter in which case being below 25th GPA and above 75th LSAT makes it a target of sorts, i.e NU, CCN, other favor more even candidates HYSBV.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:34 am

Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
northwood wrote:reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!


So then 25% of people in law school are reaches? (No flame attempt-srs question)



People below 25th percentile on one stat who get in usually are above median/75th on the other stat, so it depends on your definition of a reach. Some schools are known to take splitter in which case being below 25th GPA and above 75th LSAT makes it a target of sorts, i.e NU, CCN, other favor more even candidates HYSBV.


I'm below the 25% on most of my applied schools (SRS). I'll have to keep people updated on how many I get in to. I have nothing to lose by doing so, especially since I'm not naming the schools.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:39 am

dont think LSP is a good indicator for this-- everyone knows it gets messed up
LSP says I'm an 'admit' everywhere and then 'strong consider' for Yale.... I'll be posting on this thread for sure if I get into Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford or Yale

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:53 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:dont think LSP is a good indicator for this-- everyone knows it gets messed up
LSP says I'm an 'admit' everywhere and then 'strong consider' for Yale.... I'll be posting on this thread for sure if I get into Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford or Yale


As a URM you are probably a lock all of the above except for YS.

Also, I like your new avatar. But careful with that, you don't want to end up like eit.

User avatar
balzern
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby balzern » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Technically I was not accepted to W&L but I threw an app at them because it was free. 3.48 and 153 for me and I was WL.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Gotti » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm

northwood wrote:i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.



This makes sense, but at the same time, the only weak considers I have on LSP are Stanford and Michigan…but I consider the entire T14 a reach because of my LSAT (164/3.95 non-URM).

People on here were like omg you have noooo chance at Boalt but it’s a “consider” on LSP for me. But if I got into Boalt, I’d post on here lol

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:dont think LSP is a good indicator for this-- everyone knows it gets messed up
LSP says I'm an 'admit' everywhere and then 'strong consider' for Yale.... I'll be posting on this thread for sure if I get into Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford or Yale

LSP does not get messed up, for the average applicant LSP is a pretty good indication of how a cycle is going to play out.

LSP is not as accurate for splitters or urms. If you fall into one, or both, of those categories then LSP is not going to be as accurate for you as it is for the average applicant.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:01 pm

LSP is inaccurate now. NYU's 75% LSAT is now 175, not 173, and the medians for GPA and LSAT are up for most schools, meaning everyone's percentile on LSP is 5-10% lower at least.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:06 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:LSP is inaccurate now. NYU's 75% LSAT is now 175, not 173, and the medians for GPA and LSAT are up for most schools, meaning everyone's percentile on LSP is 5-10% lower at least.

The numbers are a bit outdated and yes the GPA and LSAT numbers for most schools are up (some more than others, looking at you NYU) but I still think it will be a pretty accurate predictor for most applicants at most schools this cycle.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:LSP is inaccurate now. NYU's 75% LSAT is now 175, not 173, and the medians for GPA and LSAT are up for most schools, meaning everyone's percentile on LSP is 5-10% lower at least.

The numbers are a bit outdated and yes the GPA and LSAT numbers for most schools are up (some more than others, looking at you NYU) but I still think it will be a pretty accurate predictor for most applicants at most schools this cycle.


I wonder if LSP's 25/median/75 are calculated from LSP date, not US News published data.

Snape
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Snape » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Gotti wrote:
northwood wrote:i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.



This makes sense, but at the same time, the only weak considers I have on LSP are Stanford and Michigan…but I consider the entire T14 a reach because of my LSAT (164/3.95 non-URM).

People on here were like omg you have noooo chance at Boalt but it’s a “consider” on LSP for me. But if I got into Boalt, I’d post on here lol


There is always a chance---though at Boalt unless you have something AMAZING (former mayor, doctor, peace corps, and legacy) you are prolly at about a 1% chance....still worth a shot though if thats your dream.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, dianersg, ellielaw, Exabot [Bot], Justtrying2help, kadams, lawschoolbound2017, michelekfla, Mr. Bubbles, MSNbot Media, spursforever, sre08, whodareswins, xn3345 and 45 guests