I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:43 am

Spinozist21 wrote:Hopefully tomorrow I can say WASHINGTON AND LEE....

although it is HIGHLY unlikely...like >5%


Good luck!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:44 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
True. I get on here and freak out over all the Accepted threads. Knowing that I haven't heard anything (or little). Then I realize that this is TOP Law Schools, and the people posting are WAY ahead of the curve.


Come back in Fed/March and watch these threads move. If you walk away for 20 minutes your thread is back on the 3rd page.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:28 am

totally going to watch this thread for this cycle...hopefully we see some more real 'reaches' than last year...

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:22 am

r6_philly wrote:
Come back in Fed/March and watch these threads move. If you walk away for 20 minutes your thread is back on the 3rd page.


True that, philly, I am ready for that to start happening on all these threads.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Barbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:48 am

vebode01 wrote:GPA: 3.41 LSAT 161
URM: No

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL: BC

Optional Essay: economic/social factors overcome

Finally, what you think (totally subjective) got you into that school: soft factors, spent some of undergrad at GU (also jesuit), personal statememt


This is epic!! Congrats

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:57 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:totally going to watch this thread for this cycle...hopefully we see some more real 'reaches' than last year...


What are real 'reaches'?

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:totally going to watch this thread for this cycle...hopefully we see some more real 'reaches' than last year...


What are real 'reaches'?


I'd say that a reach would be a school that you're below both the 25% mark on both the LSAT and GPA. JMO... :?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:49 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:totally going to watch this thread for this cycle...hopefully we see some more real 'reaches' than last year...


What are real 'reaches'?


I'd say that a reach would be a school that you're below both the 25% mark on both the LSAT and GPA. JMO... :?


That means I have no reaches? That's not right, I am far from some schools. Far...

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:totally going to watch this thread for this cycle...hopefully we see some more real 'reaches' than last year...


What are real 'reaches'?


I'd say that a reach would be a school that you're below both the 25% mark on both the LSAT and GPA. JMO... :?


That means I have no reaches? That's not right, I am far from some schools. Far...


Elaborate for praise and warm wishes...? :)

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:00 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:totally going to watch this thread for this cycle...hopefully we see some more real 'reaches' than last year...


What are real 'reaches'?


I'd say that a reach would be a school that you're below both the 25% mark on both the LSAT and GPA. JMO... :?


Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.

User avatar
hiddenfist
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby hiddenfist » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:05 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
swc65 wrote:GPA: 3.45 , LSAT 176
URM: Y/N, if Y then which type

NAME OF REACH SCHOOL(S)
Columbia

Optional Essay: Y/N, If Y then which essay did you write.

Finally, what you think (totally subjective) got you into that school.
-Great PS. ED. Strong upward grade trend.
Sent in Late October/Early November

Edit: I think we should also add what month you sent in applications.


That is absolutely not a reach. Did you look at any of the admissions predicting sites, or LSN? What is your index, 3.5, 3.4? Congrats though.

Edit: I know it's really tempting to post in this thread, but don't just brag about admissions that you're proud of that weren't reaches. I'm kind of sad that I can never post in this thread. Even if I get into Yale, I can't consider that a reach. Obviously it's a good thing though that I can't post in this thread, as fun as it would be.


Pretty sure Yale is a reach, buddy (if the stats in your profile are correct).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:07 pm

He did not.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Ragged wrote:
Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.


I like your definition better. Then I have 2 reaches.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.


I like your definition better. Then I have 2 reaches.


I got 3. :mrgreen:

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.


I like your definition better. Then I have 2 reaches.


That's because he's a scholar and a gentleman, whose intelligence is only outshined by his good looks. 8)

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.


I like your definition better. Then I have 2 reaches.


Ragged's definition of a 'real reach' is what I'm talking about. (: I consider splitters reaches too...I'm one myself and I'd love to see some success stories.

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby icouldbuyu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Accepted: UVA
GPA: 3.88
LSAT: 167
Non-URM
Notes: My PS & DS got me in

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.


I like your definition better. Then I have 2 reaches.


Ragged's definition of a 'real reach' is what I'm talking about. (: I consider splitters reaches too...I'm one myself and I'd love to see some success stories.


Respectfully disagree. I've only received one answer so far this cycle. I was accepted. And I'm below both 25% marks.

Edit: Just double checked stats of the school and I'm below one 25% mark, and 1 point above the other. So, I guess this would classify as a Reach? :roll:

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:17 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.


I like your definition better. Then I have 2 reaches.


Ragged's definition of a 'real reach' is what I'm talking about. (: I consider splitters reaches too...I'm one myself and I'd love to see some success stories.


Respectfully disagree. I've only received one answer so far this cycle. I was accepted. And I'm below both 25% marks.

Edit: Just double checked stats of the school and I'm below one 25% mark, and 1 point above the other. So, I guess this would classify as a Reach? :roll:

No way!? Congrats! Are you an URM/Do you mind me asking what school you were accepted to? Hearing that you got in to a school that you were at the 25% for both LSAT/GPA gives me a little more hope for the school I ED to :).

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Below both 25th non-URM is not a reach. Its not even a hailmary or a farcry. Its pretty much a mathematical impossibility and such a person deserves a thread of his own, probably stickied to.

A reach would be something like below both medians. Or at one median but below 25th/below median; slightly above one median, below 25th on the other. Even above median GPA below median LSAT would be a reach in most schools.


I like your definition better. Then I have 2 reaches.


Ragged's definition of a 'real reach' is what I'm talking about. (: I consider splitters reaches too...I'm one myself and I'd love to see some success stories.


Respectfully disagree. I've only received one answer so far this cycle. I was accepted. And I'm below both 25% marks.

Edit: Just double checked stats of the school and I'm below one 25% mark, and 1 point above the other. So, I guess this would classify as a Reach? :roll:


Are you URM?

User avatar
shanshan333
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:09 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:Accepted: UVA
GPA: 3.88
LSAT: 167
Non-URM
Notes: My PS & DS got me in


Did you ED

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:32 pm

[/quote]
No way!? Congrats! Are you an URM/Do you mind me asking what school you were accepted to? Hearing that you got in to a school that you were at the 25% for both LSAT/GPA gives me a little more hope for the school I ED to :).[/quote]

No-not URM. I was at 25% for LSAT, but below 25% for GPA. I'd rather not say which school because this is "Top Law Schools" and this isn't a "Top Law School." But I'm not flaming and that's a fact. It's a solid school for "me" based on my LSAT/GPA. :wink:

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:

No way!? Congrats! Are you an URM/Do you mind me asking what school you were accepted to? Hearing that you got in to a school that you were at the 25% for both LSAT/GPA gives me a little more hope for the school I ED to :).[/quote]

No-not URM. I was at 25% for LSAT, but below 25% for GPA. I'd rather not say which school because this is "Top Law Schools" and this isn't a "Top Law School." But I'm not flaming and that's a fact. It's a solid school for "me" based on my LSAT/GPA. :wink:[/quote]

:shock: Big kudos then. Its really, really impressive.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

No way!? Congrats! Are you an URM/Do you mind me asking what school you were accepted to? Hearing that you got in to a school that you were at the 25% for both LSAT/GPA gives me a little more hope for the school I ED to :).


No-not URM. I was at 25% for LSAT, but below 25% for GPA. I'd rather not say which school because this is "Top Law Schools" and this isn't a "Top Law School." But I'm not flaming and that's a fact. It's a solid school for "me" based on my LSAT/GPA. :wink:[/quote]

:shock: Big kudos then. Its really, really impressive.[/quote]

I appreciate that. It's not my choice school, but based upon their 25%-75% stats, then yes than I suppose I'm a reach. Hoping for other "reaches" then... :o

Edit: To be fair, LS Predictor gave this school a "Consider" for me. So...is this really a reach? And if so, should people consider anything lower than "admit" or "strong consider" when applying?

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

No way!? Congrats! Are you an URM/Do you mind me asking what school you were accepted to? Hearing that you got in to a school that you were at the 25% for both LSAT/GPA gives me a little more hope for the school I ED to :).


No-not URM. I was at 25% for LSAT, but below 25% for GPA. I'd rather not say which school because this is "Top Law Schools" and this isn't a "Top Law School." But I'm not flaming and that's a fact. It's a solid school for "me" based on my LSAT/GPA. :wink:


:shock: Big kudos then. Its really, really impressive.[/quote]

I appreciate that. It's not my choice school, but based upon their 25%-75% stats, then yes than I suppose I'm a reach. Hoping for other "reaches" then... :o

Edit: To be fair, LS Predictor gave this school a "Consider" for me. So...is this really a reach? And if so, should people consider anything lower than "admit" or "strong consider" when applying?[/quote]

Consider on LSN is definitely a reach.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], fattsdomino, Google Adsense [Bot], joezze, lillawyer2 and 6 guests