I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Eazy E

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Eazy E » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:10 pm

scribelaw wrote:LOL. How can someone with an above-median GPA and a > 75th LSAT count as a reach? There's another word for that: autoadmit.

This thread has officially jumped the shark (although it probably did a while ago).

Whatever, don't like it? You can suck my balls.

guyincognito

Postby guyincognito » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 pm

I am quite confident that I belong here. 3.2 GPA (less than 25th percentile) 170 (right at median) accepted at Northwestern. Besides my romantic escapades with several members of the admissions committee, I think what got me in was a good interview, ED, and two years of non-mail-order-bride related living in Ukraine

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:04 pm

hefferlump wrote:GPA: 3.9something, LSAT: 166
URM: nope
Schools (last cycle): GULC (off the waitlist), Northwestern (accepted outright)
Optional essays: yes
Softs: applied during Peace Corps (but terminated and notified both schools prior to acceptance), MSc Human Rights

I do think the Master's degree was really important in both cases, because it made my expressed interest in PI work seem a lot more legitimate.

I still have no idea why NW decided to accept me, to be honest! I didn't even interview because I was in Africa at the time of my application (and wrote them a note to that effect).

On the other hand, I did interview for GULC and I think it helped me a LOT. Persistence also paid off: I wrote two or three letters to the admissions office updating them with news (some of it a bit of a stretch) and hand delivered them (which I'm sure looked really impressive, but I was actually working across the street at the time). A bit of lobbying by a boss who had worked with the Dean may also have helped, but I have no idea....

Edit: And yeah the Vandy guy is being ridiculous.

I hope you applied to other T14's because with your LSAT at the 25th percentile at both these schools and your GPA well above the 75th, along with Peace Corps, one of the few softs that gives you a boost, you certainly weren't a reach. Congratulations though!

thatguyyouknow

Postby thatguyyouknow » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:20 am

3.3 170
URM: No
UVA
Optional: No
I think my softs got me in and also I was an early decision candidate. Really good work experience and recs.
Went complete 1/20 (10am) accepted 1/20 (5pm)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am

thatguyyouknow wrote:3.3 170
URM: No
UVA
Optional: No
I think my softs got me in and also I was an early decision candidate. Really good work experience and recs.
Went complete 1/20 (10am) accepted 1/20 (5pm)

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:57 am

Eazy E wrote:
scribelaw wrote:LOL. How can someone with an above-median GPA and a > 75th LSAT count as a reach? There's another word for that: autoadmit.

This thread has officially jumped the shark (although it probably did a while ago).

Dude that's retarded as hell.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:00 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Eazy E wrote:

+1. The thread isn't a bad idea, but no one who is posting here is an actual reach. I'm waiting to see people who are non-URM, below both medians, getting in somewhere. The fact that even a thread like this doesn't generate such stories just proves how much numbers matter and how extremely rare it is for people to get into schools above their numbers.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:10 pm

scribelaw wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Eazy E wrote:

+1. The thread isn't a bad idea, but no one who is posting here is an actual reach. I'm waiting to see people who are non-URM, below both medians, getting in somewhere. The fact that even a thread like this doesn't generate such stories just proves how much numbers matter and how extremely rare it is for people to get into schools above their numbers.

URMs have reaches.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:URMs have reaches.

+1.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:15 pm

This thread rapidly became "I made it into a T14 even though I am a splitter/25 percentile." Lame.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:

+1.

I didn't say otherwise.

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:19 pm

scribelaw wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

+1.

I didn't say otherwise.

I think he meant when you said you were looking for non-URMs below both medians, which, if read in the way I read it at first, would give the impression that part of the definition of "reaching" entails not being a URM.

beamsmehome

Postby beamsmehome » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:24 pm

beamsmehome wrote:
Finally, as for how "extremely rare" it is, I assume that the number of admits in this position increases later in the application cycle. It seems reasonable that there aren't a ton of these stories available in January.

Also schools hold off on marginal candidates via the waitlist anyway. If you are getting into a reach, its probably via waitlist, or in march.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:25 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

+1.

I didn't say otherwise.

I think he meant when you said you were looking for non-URMs below both medians, which, if read in the way I read it at first, would give the impression that part of the definition of "reaching" entails not being a URM.

Gotcha. I did not mean that, sorry if I was unclear.

I merely meant that, to use an example, if you're a 3.5/166 and get into Cornell -- if you're a URM, that's not really a reach. If you're a non-URM, it is.

But URMs obviously can have reaches, too. You just have to account for the admissions bump.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:24 am

Last edited by WhiskeyGuy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I am thrilled to be posting here.

In at Stanford with a low 160 LSAT and GPA at median for SLS. White/AI, Truman Scholar, Rhodes finalist, from a rural state. While I believe I have strong soft factors, I think with my LSAT score everything else had to also be going for me. Two of my referees spent a couple hours each on their Stanford-specific letters (neither has Stanford connections) and I spent probably 50-60 hours on my PS and DS. I was also fortunate to receive support and advice from current and former SLS students, some of whom I have never met in person. FWIW, I believe it helped immensely to have a narrative run throughout the different elements of my application (essays, recs, resume, etc).

congrats, that's totally awesome . it's nice to know that it DOES happen. you must have a lot of neat things going for you :)

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I am thrilled to be posting here.

In at Stanford with a low 160 LSAT and GPA at median for SLS. White/AI, Truman Scholar, Rhodes finalist, from a rural state. While I believe I have strong soft factors, I think with my LSAT score everything else had to also be going for me. Two of my referees spent a couple hours each on their Stanford-specific letters (neither has Stanford connections) and I spent probably 50-60 hours on my PS and DS. I was also fortunate to receive support and advice from current and former SLS students, some of whom I have never met in person. FWIW, I believe it helped immensely to have a narrative run throughout the different elements of my application (essays, recs, resume, etc).

You, sir, are my hero. Congrats!

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:07 pm

WhiskeyGuy, is AI = American Indian? If so, were you counted as URM? Either way, congrats :)

I have a 20% chance (according to LSP) at my top choice right now. If I get in (by some miracle), I'll let you guys know that there are such things as happy endings.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:09 pm

I really want to post legitimately in this thread!! soon I hope :|

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 pm

I doted on this for awhile. I've decided that I did indeed make it into a reach, judging by my dot being an oasis in a sea of yellow and red on LSN

GPA: 3.52, LSAT: 165
URM: no
School: Fordham (admitted waaaay early - 11/6, 4 weeks after applying on the nose)
Optional essays: yes, I wrote a DS about my professional experience, EEs being underrepresented in the profession and the classroom and having particular things to contribute, and non-urm but still a rather rare ethnic background.
Softs: EE degree. Extremely relevant work experience at a federal agency. Relevant internships. Teaching experience.

I applied PT, and both my numbers are above last year's PT numbers. They both fall well short of last year's FT numbers, and combined FT/PT numbers as well. So I consider Fordham to be a reach given the new USNWR method in dealing with PT programs, and my having two below-median numbers.

I am still thrilled about it :).

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Veritas wrote:I really want to post legitimately in this thread!! soon I hope :|

We will never post in this thread, Veri.

BearDownChicago

Postby BearDownChicago » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 pm

ConMan345 wrote:GPA: 3.9, LSAT: 167, 171
URM: nope

Haaaaaahvahd

A 3.9 and 171 does not qualify you to designate any schools as reaches. Yale is, well according to this board, a reach for everyone so I don't want to hear about it.

Either way, congrats.

T14Hopeful09

Postby T14Hopeful09 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 pm

I feel like all of my acceptances have been reaches…so keep hope alive.

3.7 - 3.9 / 157 – 161 (range…I will post specific GPA / score after my cycle ends)
URM: Yes
Schools: UVA, Northwestern, Georgetown, University of Chicago, Penn, Columbia

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyGuy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”