I made it into my "REACH" Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Gold

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Post by finalaspects » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:GPA 3.99, LSAT 165
Non-URM
Michigan (RD)
Submitted 10/30, Admitted 12/03
Optional Essays: Two, #5 (Diversity) and #7 (Perspective) *yes, you can get in without the Why Mich*

As to what put me over the top/softs, I have two years of work experience as a Business Systems Analyst in a corporate setting and am involved in county politics where I live. For UG, I was at a large state school, but in the honors program, double-majored with a minor, studied abroad, and was fairly active on campus, but not student body president or Fulbright recipient or anything too special.

I don't have a definite #1 choice so I did not apply anywhere ED, but this acceptance - and so early in the cycle - was thrilling.

Congrats to the others, and I hope more good news grows this thread (almost) as long as the GULC thread!
Again, Michigan wasn't a reach for you. Your LSAT was slightly below their 25th percentile, but your GPA was well above their 75th. Congratulations anyway, of course.
I think it was still a reach. His split isn't the same as someone who had data at both 25ths, but Michigan with those numbers is improbable. That makes it a reach.

Just because non-URMS aren't posting on this thread with a 160/3.6 and getting into UVA doesn't mean these data points aren't reaches.
I think i agree with Coalt. According to LSP (even though it may not be that accurate) 3.99/165 is a consider. its not even a weak consider to michigan. I think it would need to be at least a weak consider or a deny for it to be a reach. just this is just my opinion...

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere. It's all how you spin it. Now if you were to have a 160/3.5 and get into Boalt or GULC (non-URM, non-astronaut) I think you might have a compelling case for submitting to this thread. All the 170+ people getting into their "reach" basically just feeds into the common wisdom that the most important factor in law school admissions is LSAT to the exclusion of just about everything else.

uofmsbiggestfan

New

Post by uofmsbiggestfan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 pm

GPA: 3.74, LSAT: 162
URM: No
School: Minnesota
Optional Essay: Addendum about my LSAT score
What got me in: I'm not really sure honestly. I think it might be my PS. It's my first decision of the cycle so who knows.

**I'm not sure if this is technically a reach school as defined by LSN or the multiple users of this website. My LSAT is a little above the 25th, but well below the median of 167. I personally considered it a reach school so that's why I am posting this.**

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:GPA 3.99, LSAT 165
Non-URM
Michigan (RD)
Submitted 10/30, Admitted 12/03
Optional Essays: Two, #5 (Diversity) and #7 (Perspective) *yes, you can get in without the Why Mich*

As to what put me over the top/softs, I have two years of work experience as a Business Systems Analyst in a corporate setting and am involved in county politics where I live. For UG, I was at a large state school, but in the honors program, double-majored with a minor, studied abroad, and was fairly active on campus, but not student body president or Fulbright recipient or anything too special.

I don't have a definite #1 choice so I did not apply anywhere ED, but this acceptance - and so early in the cycle - was thrilling.

Congrats to the others, and I hope more good news grows this thread (almost) as long as the GULC thread!
Again, Michigan wasn't a reach for you. Your LSAT was slightly below their 25th percentile, but your GPA was well above their 75th. Congratulations anyway, of course.
I think it was still a reach. His split isn't the same as someone who had data at both 25ths, but Michigan with those numbers is improbable. That makes it a reach.

Just because non-URMS aren't posting on this thread with a 160/3.6 and getting into UVA doesn't mean these data points aren't reaches.
I think i agree with Coalt. According to LSP (even though it may not be that accurate) 3.99/165 is a consider. its not even a weak consider to michigan. I think it would need to be at least a weak consider or a deny for it to be a reach. just this is just my opinion...
This is fair. I am (and was) a very cautious applicant. I came into the cycle thinking a 50/50 shot was a reach (since I never really applied to many schools for UG).

I think both are fair interpretations. Different folks think different data points are a "reach."

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28 pm

forget reaches what id love to see is a longshot with amazing softs... would that still make them a longshot?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm

nematoad wrote:forget reaches what id love to see is a longshot with amazing softs... would that still make them a longshot?
Indeed. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that "weak consider" on LSP should qualify a reach school. However, an LSAT of 172+ probably throws that idea for a loop, as it seems splitters generally have much more success than reverse-splitters.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm

nematoad wrote:forget reaches what id love to see is a longshot with amazing softs... would that still make them a longshot?
to get into a school with both GPA and LSAT under a school's 25%, without being an urm, and the son/daughter of a senator or something like that.... which means you must have great softs...

that is a REAL reach + longshot. if LSP states weak consider or deny, i think its pretty much a reach.

i'm a deny in t18 schools or so :(

gatorlion wrote:Indeed. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that "weak consider" on LSP should qualify a reach school. However, an LSAT of 172+ probably throws that idea for a loop, as it seems splitters generally have much more success than reverse-splitters.
LSP's accuracy is the worst with splitters. so definitely agree, esp with 172+ lsat...

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:38 pm

jnorsky wrote:LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.24

Reach: UVA (ED)

Out of State, non urm

What got me in: Played up the fact that I am a well rounded person (music, sports, frat, clubs). I have a BBA from a great school which helps of course with the low gpa fact. PS definitely helped me out a ton showing that I am laid back but still aware of injustice type of thing. Also, the fact that I am awesome probably helped a lot
you are not much of a reach at UVA (maybe a little one)... However, it is clear that you are UVA material, Brah.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 pm

jnorsky wrote:LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.24

Reach: UVA (ED)

Out of State, non urm

What got me in: Played up the fact that I am a well rounded person (music, sports, frat, clubs). I have a BBA from a great school which helps of course with the low gpa fact. PS definitely helped me out a ton showing that I am laid back but still aware of injustice type of thing. Also, the fact that I am awesome probably helped a lot
Looks like it was the 171.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mxc

New

Post by mxc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 am

gatorlion wrote:
Indeed. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that "weak consider" on LSP should qualify a reach school. However, an LSAT of 172+ probably throws that idea for a loop, as it seems splitters generally have much more success than reverse-splitters.
You know there's a reason for that, right?

Katerina

Bronze

Post by Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 am

gatorlion wrote:Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere.
I disagree. Although "reverse splitters" (high GPA, low LSAT) definitely have it worse, it's easy for traditional splitters (sub 3.3 GPA, 170+ LSAT) to come across as "smart but lazy". Do schools want high LSAT numbers? Sure. Does a high LSAT automatically negate a low GPA? Absolutely not. There is a reason that Splitter cycles are the hardest to predict.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:35 am

gatorlion wrote:
Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere.
This just isn't true. Anyone with a GPA below 3.5 is a huge reach at HYS, and could be considered a reach at the majority of the T-14.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:46 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
This just isn't true. Anyone with a GPA below 3.5 is a huge reach at HYS, and could be considered a reach at the majority of the T-14.
low 170's is also a reach at HLS. even 3.9/171 is a reach

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 am

In at UC Irvine. by phone call.
OOS, non-urm, ~median LSAT, <25% gpa.

thrilled. cycle ending thrilled.

Katerina

Bronze

Post by Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:21 am

gymboree wrote:In at UC Irvine. by phone call.
OOS, non-urm, ~median LSAT, <25% gpa.

thrilled. cycle ending thrilled.
Congrats!! Isn't it exciting to not care where else you get accepted?
Hopefully I'll be in your shoes soon!

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am

englawyer wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
Also, my 3.5/176 definitely makes HYS a reach for me - i'm a weak consider/deny

eljay

New

Post by eljay » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 am

GPA: 3.85
LSAT: 166
Non-URM, in-state, a tad non-traditional(?)--30ish
Virginia (ED)
Admitted: 11/24 (phone call, Dean Trujillo)
I kept telling myself to hold serve on the LSAT--my median practice score was 166, and I figured if I could take that home on test day, I'd be a candidate for ED with my GPA and softs--WE, MA. I feel very fortunate! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
A 176 does not make you a reach ANYWHERE, regardless of what LSP says. You will probably get in everywhere you apply, with a random result from among HYS depending on your softs. UGH!

Katerina

Bronze

Post by Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 pm

:roll:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:47 pm

gatorlion wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
A 176 does not make you a reach ANYWHERE, regardless of what LSP says. You will probably get in everywhere you apply, with a random result from among HYS depending on your softs. UGH!
His 3.5 makes him auto deny at HYS.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:50 pm

gatorlion wrote:
this is wrong. HYS like GPAs too and they will not stoop too low to get a 176+ scorer. LSN has evidence of this. H is the most LSAT friendly of the three and even they have a GPA floor of 3.65 or so.

i would call a reach anything that you have a 20-50% acceptance chance, anything less than that is a hail mary.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 pm

englawyer wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
this is wrong. HYS like GPAs too and they will not stoop too low to get a 176+ scorer. LSN has evidence of this. H is the most LSAT friendly of the three and even they have a GPA floor of 3.65 or so.

i would call a reach anything that you have a 20-50% acceptance chance, anything less than that is a hail mary.
50% is a target. Under 20% is a reach.

soullogical

New

Post by soullogical » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:01 pm

mhernton wrote:GPA: 2.2 LSAT : 155
URM: Yes
Reach The College of William & Mary School of Law

Optional Essay: Yes on 'Pride'

I got in because I'm a Combat Veteran, that was recalled to active duty as I was preparing for the LSAT while preparing for deployment, and then took the test once again while in the Middle East during operations. I have an MBA from UCSD, I'm over 30 with over 10 years of work experience both military, financial planning, and tech consulting, applied early (Oct). Before the cries of you only go in because you're a URM start, let me say that there are plenty of URMs that don't have my UGPA and my LSAT, both of which are well below the median. I'm truly a case where the Adcom looked beyond the numbers
Congrats. But let's keep it 100%, the Adcom may have looked past the numbers, but URM status definitely helped here. I ran your numbers on law school predictor and it was a deny and then I ran a 2.2 and 165 and got a "weak consider".

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:03 pm

soullogical wrote:
mhernton wrote:GPA: 2.2 LSAT : 155
URM: Yes
Reach The College of William & Mary School of Law

Optional Essay: Yes on 'Pride'

I got in because I'm a Combat Veteran, that was recalled to active duty as I was preparing for the LSAT while preparing for deployment, and then took the test once again while in the Middle East during operations. I have an MBA from UCSD, I'm over 30 with over 10 years of work experience both military, financial planning, and tech consulting, applied early (Oct). Before the cries of you only go in because you're a URM start, let me say that there are plenty of URMs that don't have my UGPA and my LSAT, both of which are well below the median. I'm truly a case where the Adcom looked beyond the numbers
Congrats. But let's keep it 100%, the Adcom may have looked past the numbers, but URM status definitely helped here. I ran your numbers on law school predictor and it was a deny and then I ran a 2.2 and 165 and got a "weak consider".
Even as a URM that is a huge, reach and that poster should be really proud.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
englawyer wrote:
gatorlion wrote:

50% is a target. Under 20% is a reach.
yeah i let my neurotic tendencies get to me in that post.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”