I made it into my "REACH"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby finalaspects » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:GPA 3.99, LSAT 165
Non-URM
Michigan (RD)
Submitted 10/30, Admitted 12/03
Optional Essays: Two, #5 (Diversity) and #7 (Perspective) *yes, you can get in without the Why Mich*

As to what put me over the top/softs, I have two years of work experience as a Business Systems Analyst in a corporate setting and am involved in county politics where I live. For UG, I was at a large state school, but in the honors program, double-majored with a minor, studied abroad, and was fairly active on campus, but not student body president or Fulbright recipient or anything too special.

I don't have a definite #1 choice so I did not apply anywhere ED, but this acceptance - and so early in the cycle - was thrilling.

Congrats to the others, and I hope more good news grows this thread (almost) as long as the GULC thread!


Again, Michigan wasn't a reach for you. Your LSAT was slightly below their 25th percentile, but your GPA was well above their 75th. Congratulations anyway, of course.


I think it was still a reach. His split isn't the same as someone who had data at both 25ths, but Michigan with those numbers is improbable. That makes it a reach.

Just because non-URMS aren't posting on this thread with a 160/3.6 and getting into UVA doesn't mean these data points aren't reaches.


I think i agree with Coalt. According to LSP (even though it may not be that accurate) 3.99/165 is a consider. its not even a weak consider to michigan. I think it would need to be at least a weak consider or a deny for it to be a reach. just this is just my opinion...

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby gatorlion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere. It's all how you spin it. Now if you were to have a 160/3.5 and get into Boalt or GULC (non-URM, non-astronaut) I think you might have a compelling case for submitting to this thread. All the 170+ people getting into their "reach" basically just feeds into the common wisdom that the most important factor in law school admissions is LSAT to the exclusion of just about everything else.

uofmsbiggestfan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 pm

GPA: 3.74, LSAT: 162
URM: No
School: Minnesota
Optional Essay: Addendum about my LSAT score
What got me in: I'm not really sure honestly. I think it might be my PS. It's my first decision of the cycle so who knows.

**I'm not sure if this is technically a reach school as defined by LSN or the multiple users of this website. My LSAT is a little above the 25th, but well below the median of 167. I personally considered it a reach school so that's why I am posting this.**

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:GPA 3.99, LSAT 165
Non-URM
Michigan (RD)
Submitted 10/30, Admitted 12/03
Optional Essays: Two, #5 (Diversity) and #7 (Perspective) *yes, you can get in without the Why Mich*

As to what put me over the top/softs, I have two years of work experience as a Business Systems Analyst in a corporate setting and am involved in county politics where I live. For UG, I was at a large state school, but in the honors program, double-majored with a minor, studied abroad, and was fairly active on campus, but not student body president or Fulbright recipient or anything too special.

I don't have a definite #1 choice so I did not apply anywhere ED, but this acceptance - and so early in the cycle - was thrilling.

Congrats to the others, and I hope more good news grows this thread (almost) as long as the GULC thread!


Again, Michigan wasn't a reach for you. Your LSAT was slightly below their 25th percentile, but your GPA was well above their 75th. Congratulations anyway, of course.


I think it was still a reach. His split isn't the same as someone who had data at both 25ths, but Michigan with those numbers is improbable. That makes it a reach.

Just because non-URMS aren't posting on this thread with a 160/3.6 and getting into UVA doesn't mean these data points aren't reaches.


I think i agree with Coalt. According to LSP (even though it may not be that accurate) 3.99/165 is a consider. its not even a weak consider to michigan. I think it would need to be at least a weak consider or a deny for it to be a reach. just this is just my opinion...


This is fair. I am (and was) a very cautious applicant. I came into the cycle thinking a 50/50 shot was a reach (since I never really applied to many schools for UG).

I think both are fair interpretations. Different folks think different data points are a "reach."

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28 pm

forget reaches what id love to see is a longshot with amazing softs... would that still make them a longshot?

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby gatorlion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm

nematoad wrote:forget reaches what id love to see is a longshot with amazing softs... would that still make them a longshot?


Indeed. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that "weak consider" on LSP should qualify a reach school. However, an LSAT of 172+ probably throws that idea for a loop, as it seems splitters generally have much more success than reverse-splitters.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby finalaspects » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm

nematoad wrote:forget reaches what id love to see is a longshot with amazing softs... would that still make them a longshot?


to get into a school with both GPA and LSAT under a school's 25%, without being an urm, and the son/daughter of a senator or something like that.... which means you must have great softs...

that is a REAL reach + longshot. if LSP states weak consider or deny, i think its pretty much a reach.

i'm a deny in t18 schools or so :(


gatorlion wrote:Indeed. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that "weak consider" on LSP should qualify a reach school. However, an LSAT of 172+ probably throws that idea for a loop, as it seems splitters generally have much more success than reverse-splitters.


LSP's accuracy is the worst with splitters. so definitely agree, esp with 172+ lsat...

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:38 pm

jnorsky wrote:LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.24

Reach: UVA (ED)

Out of State, non urm

What got me in: Played up the fact that I am a well rounded person (music, sports, frat, clubs). I have a BBA from a great school which helps of course with the low gpa fact. PS definitely helped me out a ton showing that I am laid back but still aware of injustice type of thing. Also, the fact that I am awesome probably helped a lot

you are not much of a reach at UVA (maybe a little one)... However, it is clear that you are UVA material, Brah.

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby UFMatt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 pm

jnorsky wrote:LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.24

Reach: UVA (ED)

Out of State, non urm

What got me in: Played up the fact that I am a well rounded person (music, sports, frat, clubs). I have a BBA from a great school which helps of course with the low gpa fact. PS definitely helped me out a ton showing that I am laid back but still aware of injustice type of thing. Also, the fact that I am awesome probably helped a lot


Looks like it was the 171.

mxc
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:19 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby mxc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 am

gatorlion wrote:
nematoad wrote:forget reaches what id love to see is a longshot with amazing softs... would that still make them a longshot?


Indeed. I agree with the above poster who mentioned that "weak consider" on LSP should qualify a reach school. However, an LSAT of 172+ probably throws that idea for a loop, as it seems splitters generally have much more success than reverse-splitters.

You know there's a reason for that, right?

User avatar
Katerina
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 am

gatorlion wrote:Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere.


I disagree. Although "reverse splitters" (high GPA, low LSAT) definitely have it worse, it's easy for traditional splitters (sub 3.3 GPA, 170+ LSAT) to come across as "smart but lazy". Do schools want high LSAT numbers? Sure. Does a high LSAT automatically negate a low GPA? Absolutely not. There is a reason that Splitter cycles are the hardest to predict.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:35 am

gatorlion wrote:
Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere.


This just isn't true. Anyone with a GPA below 3.5 is a huge reach at HYS, and could be considered a reach at the majority of the T-14.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:46 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere.


This just isn't true. Anyone with a GPA below 3.5 is a huge reach at HYS, and could be considered a reach at the majority of the T-14.


low 170's is also a reach at HLS. even 3.9/171 is a reach

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby gymboree » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 am

In at UC Irvine. by phone call.
OOS, non-urm, ~median LSAT, <25% gpa.

thrilled. cycle ending thrilled.

User avatar
Katerina
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:21 am

gymboree wrote:In at UC Irvine. by phone call.
OOS, non-urm, ~median LSAT, <25% gpa.

thrilled. cycle ending thrilled.


Congrats!! Isn't it exciting to not care where else you get accepted?
Hopefully I'll be in your shoes soon!

User avatar
WrappedUpInBooks
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am

englawyer wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere.


This just isn't true. Anyone with a GPA below 3.5 is a huge reach at HYS, and could be considered a reach at the majority of the T-14.


low 170's is also a reach at HLS. even 3.9/171 is a reach


Also, my 3.5/176 definitely makes HYS a reach for me - i'm a weak consider/deny

eljay
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby eljay » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 am

GPA: 3.85
LSAT: 166
Non-URM, in-state, a tad non-traditional(?)--30ish
Virginia (ED)
Admitted: 11/24 (phone call, Dean Trujillo)
I kept telling myself to hold serve on the LSAT--my median practice score was 166, and I figured if I could take that home on test day, I'd be a candidate for ED with my GPA and softs--WE, MA. I feel very fortunate! :D

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby gatorlion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
Anyone with a 170+ LSAT and any GPA from 2.5-3.5 isn't a reach anywhere.


This just isn't true. Anyone with a GPA below 3.5 is a huge reach at HYS, and could be considered a reach at the majority of the T-14.


low 170's is also a reach at HLS. even 3.9/171 is a reach


Also, my 3.5/176 definitely makes HYS a reach for me - i'm a weak consider/deny


A 176 does not make you a reach ANYWHERE, regardless of what LSP says. You will probably get in everywhere you apply, with a random result from among HYS depending on your softs. UGH!

User avatar
Katerina
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby Katerina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 pm

:roll:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:47 pm

gatorlion wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
This just isn't true. Anyone with a GPA below 3.5 is a huge reach at HYS, and could be considered a reach at the majority of the T-14.


low 170's is also a reach at HLS. even 3.9/171 is a reach


Also, my 3.5/176 definitely makes HYS a reach for me - i'm a weak consider/deny


A 176 does not make you a reach ANYWHERE, regardless of what LSP says. You will probably get in everywhere you apply, with a random result from among HYS depending on your softs. UGH!


His 3.5 makes him auto deny at HYS.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:50 pm

gatorlion wrote:
A 176 does not make you a reach ANYWHERE, regardless of what LSP says. You will probably get in everywhere you apply, with a random result from among HYS depending on your softs. UGH!


this is wrong. HYS like GPAs too and they will not stoop too low to get a 176+ scorer. LSN has evidence of this. H is the most LSAT friendly of the three and even they have a GPA floor of 3.65 or so.

i would call a reach anything that you have a 20-50% acceptance chance, anything less than that is a hail mary.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 pm

englawyer wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
A 176 does not make you a reach ANYWHERE, regardless of what LSP says. You will probably get in everywhere you apply, with a random result from among HYS depending on your softs. UGH!


this is wrong. HYS like GPAs too and they will not stoop too low to get a 176+ scorer. LSN has evidence of this. H is the most LSAT friendly of the three and even they have a GPA floor of 3.65 or so.

i would call a reach anything that you have a 20-50% acceptance chance, anything less than that is a hail mary.


50% is a target. Under 20% is a reach.

User avatar
soullogical
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby soullogical » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:01 pm

mhernton wrote:GPA: 2.2 LSAT : 155
URM: Yes
Reach The College of William & Mary School of Law

Optional Essay: Yes on 'Pride'

I got in because I'm a Combat Veteran, that was recalled to active duty as I was preparing for the LSAT while preparing for deployment, and then took the test once again while in the Middle East during operations. I have an MBA from UCSD, I'm over 30 with over 10 years of work experience both military, financial planning, and tech consulting, applied early (Oct). Before the cries of you only go in because you're a URM start, let me say that there are plenty of URMs that don't have my UGPA and my LSAT, both of which are well below the median. I'm truly a case where the Adcom looked beyond the numbers


Congrats. But let's keep it 100%, the Adcom may have looked past the numbers, but URM status definitely helped here. I ran your numbers on law school predictor and it was a deny and then I ran a 2.2 and 165 and got a "weak consider".

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:03 pm

soullogical wrote:
mhernton wrote:GPA: 2.2 LSAT : 155
URM: Yes
Reach The College of William & Mary School of Law

Optional Essay: Yes on 'Pride'

I got in because I'm a Combat Veteran, that was recalled to active duty as I was preparing for the LSAT while preparing for deployment, and then took the test once again while in the Middle East during operations. I have an MBA from UCSD, I'm over 30 with over 10 years of work experience both military, financial planning, and tech consulting, applied early (Oct). Before the cries of you only go in because you're a URM start, let me say that there are plenty of URMs that don't have my UGPA and my LSAT, both of which are well below the median. I'm truly a case where the Adcom looked beyond the numbers


Congrats. But let's keep it 100%, the Adcom may have looked past the numbers, but URM status definitely helped here. I ran your numbers on law school predictor and it was a deny and then I ran a 2.2 and 165 and got a "weak consider".


Even as a URM that is a huge, reach and that poster should be really proud.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
englawyer wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
A 176 does not make you a reach ANYWHERE, regardless of what LSP says. You will probably get in everywhere you apply, with a random result from among HYS depending on your softs. UGH!


this is wrong. HYS like GPAs too and they will not stoop too low to get a 176+ scorer. LSN has evidence of this. H is the most LSAT friendly of the three and even they have a GPA floor of 3.65 or so.

i would call a reach anything that you have a 20-50% acceptance chance, anything less than that is a hail mary.


50% is a target. Under 20% is a reach.


yeah i let my neurotic tendencies get to me in that post.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, dreamer_13, ellielaw, Google Adsense [Bot], Long shot hero, nslaw123, rationalhound, Snowjon and 10 guests