I made it into my "REACH" Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Gold

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Post by 02082010 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 pm

managamy wrote:
Veritas wrote:
crackberry wrote:It's Tim Tebow
ohhhhhh :P

I was going to make a terribly un-pc comment about how un-URMish he looked. :oops:
For some reason, I thought that hopeful had told us that he was AA. But his TLS profile says otherwise, so I'm confused.
I'm AA, just trying to stay incognito.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:50 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
managamy wrote:
Veritas wrote:
crackberry wrote:It's Tim Tebow
ohhhhhh :P

I was going to make a terribly un-pc comment about how un-URMish he looked. :oops:
For some reason, I thought that hopeful had told us that he was AA. But his TLS profile says otherwise, so I'm confused.
I'm AA, just trying to stay incognito.
Then why put up a LSN page? Adding inaccurate data doesn't help the purpose of LSN.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:53 pm

dude you should have leveraged being outed on here by starting a straight-up bidding war among law schools with your lsn account. you recognize how this could work, don't you?

edit: i'm talking to tim tebow a few posts up

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm AA, just trying to stay incognito.
Then why put up a LSN page? Adding inaccurate data doesn't help the purpose of LSN.
It'll be accurate when my cycle is over. People mostly look at past cycles to determine how theirs will go. If some 160 3.0 thinks they're getting into GULC, that's delusional, not the result of of LSN. I also note that my numbers aren't accurate and will be updated at the end of the cycle.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:00 am

talibkweli wrote:dude you should have leveraged being outed on here by starting a straight-up bidding war among law schools with your lsn account. you recognize how this could work, don't you?

edit: i'm talking to tim tebow a few posts up
Come March.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:19 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
It'll be accurate when my cycle is over. People mostly look at past cycles to determine how theirs will go. If some 160 3.0 thinks they're getting into GULC, that's delusional, not the result of of LSN. I also note that my numbers aren't accurate and will be updated at the end of the cycle.
Not entirely true - past cycles aren't always as reflective as the current one. Just ask the folks who were waiting in the UT thread about their GPA or all the folks who were deferred at Cornell. I've paid a great deal attention, maybe just as much as the previous cycles, to the profiles applying to this cycle. That being said, your profile always made it quite obvious that your numbers are fudged, and that's fine, I just don't understand why people do that kind of thing. It always seemed a bit paranoid to me, but to each their own.

Oh, and for all the 160 3.0's out there, we're not delusional for applying to top schools like Georgetown. We can all have our dreams, eh? Isn't that what "reach" is anyway - taking a chance on a dream? It certainly isn't applying to a law school with a 170 LSAT and a 3.7 and worrying to death that you aren't going to get into a top school.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:25 am

billyez wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Not entirely true - past cycles aren't always as reflective as the current one. Just ask the folks who were waiting in the UT thread about their GPA or all the folks who were deferred at Cornell. I've paid a great deal attention, maybe just as much as the previous cycles, to the profiles applying to this cycle. That being said, your profile always made it quite obvious that your numbers are fudged, and that's fine, I just don't understand why people do that kind of thing. It always seemed a bit paranoid to me, but to each their own.

Oh, and for all the 160 3.0's out there, we're not delusional for applying to top schools like Georgetown. We can all have our dreams, eh? Isn't that what "reach" is anyway - taking a chance on a dream? It certainly isn't applying to a law school with a 170 LSAT and a 3.7 and worrying to death that you aren't going to get into a top school.
That was tactless; I apologize. All I meant is that if you see one green dot in a sea of red then you know it's either a flame or it's a long shot and you shouldn't be banking on it.

Edit: Also, the reason I have an LSN is so that URM splitters can have some sort of baseline for seeing how their cycle may go. There is really no info on people like me right now so I think it'd be beneficial to have my profile up there for future applicants, but my combo is so rare that I don't want to put the actual numbers up now.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:28 am

A lot of people fudge; I don't mind. Still, I posted honest numbers in my own LSN profile and lived to tell the tale, so I think that the dilemma of "to fudge or not to fudge" is less important than some people suppose.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:31 am

managamy wrote:A lot of people fudge; I don't mind. Still, I posted honest numbers in my own LSN profile and lived to tell the tale, so I think that the dilemma of "to fudge or not to fudge" is less important than some people suppose.
I think people shouldn't fudge, but instead should hide their profile til their cycle is done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:32 am

Desert Fox wrote:
managamy wrote:A lot of people fudge; I don't mind. Still, I posted honest numbers in my own LSN profile and lived to tell the tale, so I think that the dilemma of "to fudge or not to fudge" is less important than some people suppose.
I think people shouldn't fudge, but instead should hide their profile til their cycle is done.
Good suggestion. I did a partial hide on mine, showing stats but not softs and displaying schools only after a decision has been made.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
nah, I think people should do whatever they want to do.

I understand people who want to maintain some sense of anonymity, I do, myself. My stats are fudged to the exact same result I would receive on LSP with my actual stats.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 am

Ah, don't worry about undergrad. I see what you mean, I thought you were just being a little elitist but it's clear that you were being practical once you elucidated your point further. I'm glad your cycle has yielded some great results so far - congrats!

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:48 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Veritas wrote:
crackberry wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote: :oops:
^^ is how you should feel about your avatar, hopeful.
wait, is that a self tar?
Yeah.
I'm pretty sure I saw this on the Jersey Shore marathon today...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:25 pm

ccs224 wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw this on the Jersey Shore marathon today...
Yes, Tim Tebow bears a remarkable resemblance to a Jager-bombing, haircut-flaunting Jersey boy. Except he's a virgin. And proud of it.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:29 pm

you guys must sit on TLS all day. i intensely dislike college football and the state of florida, and even i know what tim tebow looks like.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:you guys must sit on TLS all day. i intensely dislike college football and the state of florida, and even i know what tim tebow looks like.
How do you 'intensely dislike college football'? What did it do to you?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:48 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:you guys must sit on TLS all day. i intensely dislike college football and the state of florida, and even i know what tim tebow looks like.
Probably having to look at Mike Leach's face every bowl game for the last week.

In addition, I am really not incognito at all at this point--hope I haven't done anything incredibly immature!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:43 pm

VoidSix wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Probably having to look at Mike Leach's face every bowl game for the last week.
More derided BYU alum: Mike Leach or Jay Bybee?

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:19 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Kojack wrote:
misslawyer2013 wrote:
Veritas wrote:What's with the URM hate? Bunch of assuming, bitter know-it-alls.

Well you know.... everyone can have softs that help EXCEPT URMs who are dumb and need to fool themselves that it wasn't just their skin color that got them in. :roll:
I am a URM and I am in no way blind to the aid it provides in acceptances. I find your categorization of URM's offensive. Shame on you.
It was obviously sarcasm. The :roll: would tip off most people.
He probably didn't get it because he's a URM.

:D

lawyerlover

Bronze

Post by lawyerlover » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm

sharthree wrote:G.P.A (3.4) LSAT (160)
URM: Yes--African American/Native American
Reach: NYU, UVA, Illinois, Cornell, GMU

Optional Essays: No.

What got me in: I've been told by all admissions offices that my personal statement and diversity statements were above average. I also had a very good LOR.
you just gave me so much hope! also a URM and wrote about that in my ps

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 pm

GPA: 3.9, LSAT: 167, 171
URM: nope

Haaaaaahvahd

Optional Essay: N/A

App sent: 11/2, UR 11/9, JR1 12/22 (took forever), JR2 1/11

Finally, what you think (totally subjective) got you into that school.

Softs, most likely. They're focused around a cause that fits well into my narrative, as it were, and they have a mix of leadership, research and "impact," which JR seems to mention a lot on the HLS blog. He seemed genuinely interested during my JR1, which surprised me given lots of people thought he seemed uninterested. Other than that, I had a pretty conventional PS about how intellectual curiosity and my passion about this particular cause made law school the best choice.

Also, I'm further proof they probably don't average LSATs, lol.

PM me if you have other questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beamsmehome

New

Post by beamsmehome » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 pm

beamsmehome wrote:GPA 3.99, LSAT 165
Non-URM
Michigan (RD)
Submitted 10/30, Admitted 12/03
Optional Essays: Two, #5 (Diversity) and #7 (Perspective) *yes, you can get in without the Why Mich*

As to what put me over the top/softs, I have two years of work experience as a Business Systems Analyst in a corporate setting and am involved in county politics where I live. For UG, I was at a large state school, but in the honors program, double-majored with a minor, studied abroad, and was fairly active on campus, but not student body president or Fulbright recipient or anything too special.

I don't have a definite #1 choice so I did not apply anywhere ED, but this acceptance - and so early in the cycle - was thrilling.

Congrats to the others, and I hope more good news grows this thread (almost) as long as the GULC thread!
Again, Michigan wasn't a reach for you. Your LSAT was slightly below their 25th percentile, but your GPA was well above their 75th. Congratulations anyway, of course.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:GPA 3.99, LSAT 165
Non-URM
Michigan (RD)
Submitted 10/30, Admitted 12/03
Optional Essays: Two, #5 (Diversity) and #7 (Perspective) *yes, you can get in without the Why Mich*

As to what put me over the top/softs, I have two years of work experience as a Business Systems Analyst in a corporate setting and am involved in county politics where I live. For UG, I was at a large state school, but in the honors program, double-majored with a minor, studied abroad, and was fairly active on campus, but not student body president or Fulbright recipient or anything too special.

I don't have a definite #1 choice so I did not apply anywhere ED, but this acceptance - and so early in the cycle - was thrilling.

Congrats to the others, and I hope more good news grows this thread (almost) as long as the GULC thread!
Again, Michigan wasn't a reach for you. Your LSAT was slightly below their 25th percentile, but your GPA was well above their 75th. Congratulations anyway, of course.
I think it was still a reach. His split isn't the same as someone who had data at both 25ths, but Michigan with those numbers is improbable. That makes it a reach.

Just because non-URMS aren't posting on this thread with a 160/3.6 and getting into UVA doesn't mean these data points aren't reaches.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:11 pm

LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.24

Reach: UVA (ED)

Out of State, non urm

What got me in: Played up the fact that I am a well rounded person (music, sports, frat, clubs). I have a BBA from a great school which helps of course with the low gpa fact. PS definitely helped me out a ton showing that I am laid back but still aware of injustice type of thing. Also, the fact that I am awesome probably helped a lot

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”