I made it into my "REACH" Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Grizz

Diamond

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rad law wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:161
URM

in at Yale!!!! just found out today!!!!

thanks everybody for the great advice here on TSL!!!
Grats! I'm so happy for you!
OMFG, happy for you too, bro. You're the 139/2.4 Eskimo URM who made it into Brooklyn Law, right?
Yeah full scholly!!11! Looking forward to BIGLAW diversity hiring!

Impatient

New

Post by Impatient » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 pm

rad law wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rad law wrote:
URM

Grats! I'm so happy for you!
OMFG, happy for you too, bro. You're the 139/2.4 Eskimo URM who made it into Brooklyn Law, right?
Yeah full scholly!!11! Looking forward to BIGLAW diversity hiring!
LOL

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:34 pm

URM

You totally hoodwinked unsuspecting folks. How is Michigan?

Impatient

New

Post by Impatient » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
subtle wrote:What is the point of affirmative action discussions? People's opinions tend to be set, and until you're in a position of power (let's say determining the policy for law school admissions) your opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Besides, affirmative action is not about individuals. Certainly, there are individual minorities who are much more well off than individual whites. That said, affirmative action is an imperfect attempt to correct overarching patterns for entire groups, not specific individuals. That specific individuals benefit speaks to the fact that it's not perfect. But life is neither perfect nor fair.
No! Don't be quiet! Don't except people's incorrect rationale as ok. Don't just say "People's opinions tend to be set," continue to point to their flaws in reasoning so they can learn the truth, or at least the full opinion of the opposing side.

I'm not looking for any sympathy, I just want people to understand that he did not deserve to get that spot. I know that most of you think that minorities are entitled to huge advantages for any who have even the slightest amount of ambition, but that's wrong. People are entitled to what they earn. Under the same testing conditions as everyone else, he scored remarkably lower than the average acceptance of the schools he's gotten into. That is inherently unfair. And to be smug about it is worse. I know people who deserve that spot and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they worked harder than him. I'm sorry to point this person out specifically, but it is part of a larger point. Complacence on this issue will only foster greater aggravation and disdain towards this attitude of false achievement. So congrats on getting in, that doesnt change the fact that intellectually, you're nowhere near your future classmates.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Impatient wrote: So congrats on getting in, that doesnt change the fact that intellectually, you're nowhere near your future classmates.
Damn, well I'm a white chick and my LSAT score is quite a bit below the median of the school I plan to attend. So I guess I similarly am not "intellectually near my future classmates".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Impatient wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
subtle wrote:What is the point of affirmative action discussions? People's opinions tend to be set, and until you're in a position of power (let's say determining the policy for law school admissions) your opinion doesn't matter all that much.

Besides, affirmative action is not about individuals. Certainly, there are individual minorities who are much more well off than individual whites. That said, affirmative action is an imperfect attempt to correct overarching patterns for entire groups, not specific individuals. That specific individuals benefit speaks to the fact that it's not perfect. But life is neither perfect nor fair.
No! Don't be quiet! Don't except people's incorrect rationale as ok. Don't just say "People's opinions tend to be set," continue to point to their flaws in reasoning so they can learn the truth, or at least the full opinion of the opposing side.

I'm not looking for any sympathy, I just want people to understand that he did not deserve to get that spot. I know that most of you think that minorities are entitled to huge advantages for any who have even the slightest amount of ambition, but that's wrong. People are entitled to what they earn. Under the same testing conditions as everyone else, he scored remarkably lower than the average acceptance of the schools he's gotten into. That is inherently unfair. And to be smug about it is worse. I know people who deserve that spot and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they worked harder than him. I'm sorry to point this person out specifically, but it is part of a larger point. Complacence on this issue will only foster greater aggravation and disdain towards this attitude of false achievement. So congrats on getting in, that doesnt change the fact that intellectually, you're nowhere near your future classmates.
Well, you don't get to decide who earned an admissions decision. The adcomms do, and they've decided that he earned the decision - so therefore, your opinion does not count. You can go on and on here about stuff but it does not change anything.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Impatient wrote: I'm not looking for any sympathy, I just want people to understand that he did not deserve to get that spot. I know that most of you think that minorities are entitled to huge advantages for any who have even the slightest amount of ambition, but that's wrong. People are entitled to what they earn. Under the same testing conditions as everyone else, he scored remarkably lower than the average acceptance of the schools he's gotten into. That is inherently unfair. And to be smug about it is worse. I know people who deserve that spot and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they worked harder than him. I'm sorry to point this person out specifically, but it is part of a larger point. Complacence on this issue will only foster greater aggravation and disdain towards this attitude of false achievement. So congrats on getting in, that doesnt change the fact that intellectually, you're nowhere near your future classmates.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ugh, take your salty Debbie Downer self somewhere else. This thread is about people getting into schools they did not think they could get into, regardless of the reason, not for people such as yourself to determine who "deserves" to go to where. Acceptances are not about deserving anything, but convincing admissions committees to allow you to pay crazy amounts of money to attend. Thats why they tell you to send in more than just an LSAT score and your GPA: applicants are MORE than their numbers.

Worry about your own life and your own cycle instead of picking apart everyone else's. So carry yourself and your big bag of indignation right on over to the Lounge!

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:47 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
Impatient wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:

Well, you don't get to decide who earned an admissions decision. The adcomms do, and they've decided that he earned the decision - so therefore, your opinion does not count. You can go on and on here about stuff but it does not change anything.

hear hear!

and to impatient, not being near the intellectual level of future classmates, what a bunch of nonsense. don't be a hater....hate the game, not the player.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Bluben wrote:Impatient = flame. Only 3 post and its about AA... hmmmmm
i guess if i wanted to gripe about AA and not be judged on TLS I would make a new temporary profile up too. though it does suck that said person can't own up to his/her own beliefs and use "real" TLS screenname (as i am almost positive this person has one.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Impatient

New

Post by Impatient » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm not looking for any sympathy, I just want people to understand that he did not deserve to get that spot. I know that most of you think that minorities are entitled to huge advantages for any who have even the slightest amount of ambition, but that's wrong. People are entitled to what they earn. Under the same testing conditions as everyone else, he scored remarkably lower than the average acceptance of the schools he's gotten into. That is inherently unfair. And to be smug about it is worse. I know people who deserve that spot and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they worked harder than him. I'm sorry to point this person out specifically, but it is part of a larger point. Complacence on this issue will only foster greater aggravation and disdain towards this attitude of false achievement. So congrats on getting in, that doesnt change the fact that intellectually, you're nowhere near your future classmates.[/quote]

hear hear!

and to impatient, not being near the intellectual level of future classmates, what a bunch of nonsense. don't be a hater....hate the game, not the player.[/quote]

I am hating the game...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:55 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
ecarter22 wrote:In at UVA with a 165/4.0 oos RD non URM, so pumped!

Congrats!! I would give anything to get into UVa and you give me hope.
i'm in the same boat. super high GPA, LSAT between 25-50. UVA seems to like ridiculously high GPAs this cycle (even non ED)

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Can we PLEASE move the (debate) nonsense to the lounge??

I appreciate you others, I see what you're doing there :D

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:00 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
URM

smh.
lol

I want to say congrats, but I also feel like saying that I hope you spend every waking moment working your ass off, cause your gonna be among the 10 or so least qualified (read: least intelligent) people at Yale, and thus in my mind you'd have to be among the hardest working just to stay above the bottom 5%.

Still though, Congrats and Good Luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:02 pm

2011Law wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
URM

smh.

lol

I want to say congrats, but I also feel like saying that I hope you spend every waking moment working your ass off, cause your gonna be among the 10 or so least qualified (read: least intelligent) people at Yale, and thus in my mind you'd have to be among the hardest working just to stay above the bottom 5%.

that guy is just fucking with you. i would call "flame" but he's a mod. silly modz.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:05 pm

2011Law wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
URM

smh.
lol

lol @ the 168/3.4 who majored in political science lecturing me about the merits of hard work

OK, back to the topic at hand.

btw, this thread is not the venue for bitching about affirmative action (not necessarily directed towards the above quote)

Congrats to everybody who got into their reach and are gearing up for law school. You're starting out on hell of an interesting and unpredictable journey.

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Impatient [I agree, clearly an alt name]

Firstly, you have no idea about this person's life so how can you make any statement of fact?
Yes, that's what we need more of: lawyers who only give a shit about themselves and have a huge chip on their shoulder.

Secondly, the whole idea of this thread is "I made it into my REACH....Woohoo!"
It's not "I didn't make it there, pissed off about my life, jealousy, jealousy, jealousy, I'm gonna dump on someone else."

If I make it into a reach then I'll want to sing it from the rooftops too.

Congrats to everyone so far. Well done!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm

2011Law wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
URM

smh.
lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Skyhook wrote:Impatient [I agree, clearly an alt name]

Firstly, you have no idea about this person's life so how can you make any statement of fact?
Yes, that's what we need more of: lawyers who only give a shit about themselves and have a huge chip on their shoulder.

Secondly, the whole idea of this thread is "I made it into my REACH....Woohoo!"
It's not "I didn't make it there, pissed off about my life, jealousy, jealousy, jealousy, I'm gonna dump on someone else."

If I make it into a reach then I'll want to sing it from the rooftops too.

Congrats to everyone so far. Well done!
Thanks, hook. TITCR.

Btw, is your name inspired by The Dark Knight?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 pm

2011Law wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
URM

smh.

lol

lol I said "smh" b/c it was a flame, not because I was angered that he "got in".

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:12 pm

rad law wrote:
2011Law wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
URM

smh.
lol

hahahahaha. LIKE

dcbound

New

Post by dcbound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:17 pm

As someone with no interest in becoming a lawyer, I just have to say that the AA I have noticed that is so rampant in this process is beyond ridiculous. The only way it should be used if anything is for people (of any color) that have had financial hardships growing up. Giving people a boost based on the color of their skin is in itself insulting to the intelligence of said applicants.....

Just my outside perspective.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:20 pm

dcbound wrote:As someone with no interest in becoming a lawyer, I just have to say that the AA I have noticed that is so rampant in this process is beyond ridiculous. The only way it should be used if anything is for people (of any color) that have had financial hardships growing up. Giving people a boost based on the color of their skin is in itself insulting to the intelligence of said applicants.....

Just my outside perspective.
i tend to *somewhat* agree (with the financial thing anyway) but this isn't the right place to talk about this and we are going to get yelled at. but if you want stone cold proof of some jacked up affirmative action, check out the michigan LSN graph and its myriad (URM) outliers.

JayWilTheBoat

New

Post by JayWilTheBoat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm

To the person who got into Yale: Congratulations! Seriously, that is huge. No matter what your numbers, Yale believed that you have something special to contribute to this field. It doesn't matter what your numbers are or any of that BS. You are going to do wonderfully. Rise to the occasion my friend!

To the hater: Step off. Do you think that Yale picks their class by lottery? They don't. They deserved admission. Even if they are in the bottom 5% as you predict, which I am sure they won't be, they will like be better off than all of us.

Once again, congratulations. Don't let the haters ruin this moment for you.

femme

New

Post by femme » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:27 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote:To the person who got into Yale: Congratulations! Seriously, that is huge. No matter what your numbers, Yale believed that you have something special to contribute to this field. It doesn't matter what your numbers are or any of that BS. You are going to do wonderfully. Rise to the occasion my friend!

To the hater: Step off. Do you think that Yale picks their class by lottery? They don't. They deserved admission. Even if they are in the bottom 5% as you predict, which I am sure they won't be, they will like be better off than all of us.

Helm goes to Michigan and is quite white (no offense). Sorry to burst your bubble but it was a FLAME.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 pm

femme wrote:
JayWilTheBoat wrote:To the person who got into Yale: Congratulations! Seriously, that is huge. No matter what your numbers, Yale believed that you have something special to contribute to this field. It doesn't matter what your numbers are or any of that BS. You are going to do wonderfully. Rise to the occasion my friend!

Helm goes to Michigan and is quite white (no offense). Sorry to burst your bubble but it was a FLAME.
hahaha i'm surprised there haven't been more negative reactions to helm's post. just lots of congratulations. y'all are nicer than me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”