I made it into my "REACH" Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahlawg

Silver

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:19 pm

chrissyc wrote:
weejonbu wrote:
chrissyc wrote:in at Harvard :)
3.9 GPA
??? LSAT
4.04 GPA UCLA, 165 LSAT, great softs, great letters, great PS :)
congrats!!
you're URM too, yeah?

I love this thread.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 am

yes URM. In at Duke as of last night.

JTMan

Bronze

Post by JTMan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am

167/3.88 Work Experience applied early december with a Why Mich that I was horrified of and submitted late....never gotten top ten ANYTHING IN MY WHOLE LIFE DAMN THIS FEELS GOOD!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 am

JTMan wrote:167/3.88 Work Experience applied early december with a Why Mich that I was horrified of and submitted late....never gotten top ten ANYTHING IN MY WHOLE LIFE DAMN THIS FEELS GOOD!
Congratulations!!

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 pm

JTMan wrote:167/3.88 Work Experience applied early december with a Why Mich that I was horrified of and submitted late....never gotten top ten ANYTHING IN MY WHOLE LIFE DAMN THIS FEELS GOOD!
haha congrats, see you in AA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awahoya

Bronze

Post by awahoya » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 am

chrissyc wrote:in at Harvard :)
Congrats to both of you!! Both of those are super exciting!!!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 pm

bumping my favorite thread on TLS.

santisuk

New

Post by santisuk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Okay everyone, I might win an award for this one.

GPA: 3.66 LSAT: 163
URM: not at all
app sent 11/11/10
School: Berkeley!!!!

What got me in? Softs: 5 years abroad with a community development non-profit, fluent in a second language. Did the full 4-page essay with a couple sentences for "why Berkeley"-- I think it was pretty strong. Commitment to PI. Strong LORs. And lots of prayer. This feels like a miracle. Definitely my dream school. It can happen, guys!

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm

santisuk wrote:Okay everyone, I might win an award for this one.

app sent 11/11/10

What got me in? Softs: 5 years abroad with a community development non-profit, fluent in a second language. Did the full 4-page essay with a couple sentences for "why Berkeley"-- I think it was pretty strong. Commitment to PI. Strong LORs. And lots of prayer. This feels like a miracle. Definitely my dream school. It can happen, guys!
Congrats! Looks like your hard work paid-off. You definitely deserve it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

southernsnapp

New

Post by southernsnapp » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm

app sent 11/11/10

wow, congratulations that's amazing!

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 pm

app sent 11/11/10

That's amazing. Good for you! Where did you work and what sort of development?

santisuk

New

Post by santisuk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Hey-O wrote:

app sent 11/11/10

That's amazing. Good for you! Where did you work and what sort of development?
I was in Bangkok, Thailand, working with slum dwellers in a variety of programs but spent the most time doing grassroots community organizing. I lived in the slum I worked in, learned the language and culture from my neighbors. It was an amazing experience. I hope to partner with community organizing efforts as a lawyer, probably domestically with the urban poor.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 pm

In at Berkeley, <25% GPA and at 75% LSAT. Non-URM and no fantastic softs, although I won a couple academic awards and had a strong upward GPA trend (finished >90 credit hours with a >3.9 in my last two years). Given Boalt's aversion to low GPA's, I think that qualifies it as a reach for me on numbers alone. If it doesn't...

I applied after the December LSAT last year to 19 schools, ranging from Columbia to Cardozo. No acceptances--zip, zero, nada. This year, I submitted in early November and was rejected by two schools that waitlisted me last year (Michigan & Cornell) and became the only person in the history of LSN (TEN years) to be dinged at Illinois with my numbers. The majority of the dings probably owe to the criminal record I earned at 19, and since I cannot change that factor, I had pretty much given up on law school...until today. Today is a sweet, sweet day. This weekend is going to be even sweeter...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:54 pm

In at UChicago!

162, 167

Dream. come. true.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:05 am

wow. congrats everyone!

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:42 am

DreamShake wrote:In at Berkeley, <25% GPA and at 75% LSAT. Non-URM and no fantastic softs, although I won a couple academic awards and had a strong upward GPA trend (finished >90 credit hours with a >3.9 in my last two years). Given Boalt's aversion to low GPA's, I think that qualifies it as a reach for me on numbers alone. If it doesn't...

I applied after the December LSAT last year to 19 schools, ranging from Columbia to Cardozo. No acceptances--zip, zero, nada. This year, I submitted in early November and was rejected by two schools that waitlisted me last year (Michigan & Cornell) and became the only person in the history of LSN (TEN years) to be dinged at Illinois with my numbers. The majority of the dings probably owe to the criminal record I earned at 19, and since I cannot change that factor, I had pretty much given up on law school...until today. Today is a sweet, sweet day. This weekend is going to be even sweeter...

Wow. Congrats.

apaint

Bronze

Post by apaint » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 am

In at UW!! 158, 3.9, OOS, non-URM...my softs must have pulled some serious weight :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

apaint wrote:In at UW!! 158, 3.9, OOS, non-URM...my softs must have pulled some serious weight :D
Man, that is awesome! Major CONGRATS!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:55 am

apaint wrote:In at UW!! 158, 3.9, OOS, non-URM...my softs must have pulled some serious weight :D
That's awesome. 'Grats.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:In at UChicago!

162, 167

Dream. come. true.
is it racist to want to ban URMs from this particular thread?

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 am

I don't think so...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:43 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:

162, 167

Dream. come. true.
I've been told at least 15 times by people on TLS that I am NOT a URM. When asking if I had a shot, they said no, you are not a URM only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, not Cubans. So now that I have gotten an acceptance, I am a URM? But not when I hadn't applied to any schools, and had "little to no chance in the t14". I'm sure you're right though, I only got in because me no speaky the language and my parents floated over here on a tire and work picking oranges.

EDIT: I mis-posted my GPA. 3.76 is my real GPA.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:54 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

162, 167

Dream. come. true.
I've been told at least 15 times by people on TLS that I am NOT a URM. When asking if I had a shot, they said no, you are not a URM only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, not Cubans. So now that I have gotten an acceptance, I am a URM? But not when I hadn't applied to any schools, and had "little to no chance in the t14". I'm sure you're right though, I only got in because me no speaky the language and my parents floated over here on a tire and work picking oranges.

+1. You earned it, so enjoy it.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:01 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote: I've been told at least 15 times by people on TLS that I am NOT a URM. When asking if I had a shot, they said no, you are not a URM only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, not Cubans. So now that I have gotten an acceptance, I am a URM? But not when I hadn't applied to any schools, and had "little to no chance in the t14". I'm sure you're right though, I only got in because me no speaky the language and my parents floated over here on a tire and work picking oranges.

you didn't ask the right TLSers, who could tell you that plenty of "white hispanics" get URM boosts all the time, even if their parents own gold mines. just because LSAC says it isn't true doesn't mean it isn't for schools. you don't get into a t6 with your numbers WITHOUT a URM boost, barring some out of this world softs or connections. enjoy your acceptances though - makes me really wish i was cuban.

FTR, if i recall you got into berkeley as well. point furthered.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote: I've been told at least 15 times by people on TLS that I am NOT a URM. When asking if I had a shot, they said no, you are not a URM only Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, not Cubans. So now that I have gotten an acceptance, I am a URM? But not when I hadn't applied to any schools, and had "little to no chance in the t14". I'm sure you're right though, I only got in because me no speaky the language and my parents floated over here on a tire and work picking oranges.

you didn't ask the right TLSers, who could tell you that plenty of "white hispanics" get URM boosts all the time, even if their parents own gold mines. just because LSAC says it isn't true doesn't mean it isn't for schools. you don't get into a t6 with your numbers WITHOUT a URM boost, barring some out of this world softs or connections. enjoy your acceptances though - makes me really wish i was cuban.

FTR, if i recall you got into berkeley as well. point furthered.
I mean you are right, and you have reason to be annoyed, but maybe singling out the applicant isn't the best way to express that annoyance. The applicant is just utilizing the system that none of us set up, and like you said, you would do the same if you were a URM.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”