I made it into my "REACH" Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
The Gentleman

Silver

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Post by The Gentleman » Mon May 23, 2011 11:38 am

GPA: 4.0 , LSAT: 171
URM: N

School: Harvard (WL -> Accept)

Optional Essay: Never submitted a LOCI.

My softs are pretty mediocre and my UG is a low-tier public, so HLS was a big reach for me. I think one thing that helped was using the phone interview to highlight something about me that might not have been apparent in my application. Most applicants probably discuss the topic of their personal statement or something on their resume, which is perfectly fine in many cases, but I think introducing something new can add depth to your application. This can be especially helpful at a school like Harvard where it's difficult to tell what kind of interests or people they'll be looking for.

Applied early December.
Last edited by The Gentleman on Mon May 23, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:42 pm

The Gentleman wrote:4.0/171 - In off the waitlist at Harvard. It's not an incredible reach, but I would have rated my softs as mediocre at best.
Why did you post here? Posts like this make this thread useless and retarded.

pacers3177

New

Post by pacers3177 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:37 pm

In at IU-Bloomington. 3.94/151 non-URM, OOS

CashR

New

Post by CashR » Mon May 23, 2011 2:18 pm

3.17 / 163 / non-URM

In at W&M
Waitlisted at UVA

iamnooneelse

New

Post by iamnooneelse » Mon May 23, 2011 5:22 pm

3.95-4.00 range / 160s / URM / strong softs / compelling LOCI / Applied November (sorry, no specifics)

In at Chicago.

... and still somewhat shocked. I won't say I don't deserve it, but I've just felt like it was out of reach ever since I got the wait-list emails, especially this late in the game. I had been accepted to some T30s and lower tier 1s, dinged from a T6, and waitlisted at some more T6s with what seemed to be no chance of getting off until this happened.

What I think got me in: There will always be the URM boost, but I think my GPA really carried my application in combination with an interesting life story/ personal statement, and a very heartfelt, passionate LOCI. All things considered, I think they let me in because I gave them a reason to overlook the only part of my application that fell below their median.

*edited to abide by OP's format.
Last edited by iamnooneelse on Mon May 23, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon May 23, 2011 5:25 pm

chimp wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:4.0/171 - In off the waitlist at Harvard. It's not an incredible reach, but I would have rated my softs as mediocre at best.
Aside from not adhering to the format suggested in the OP, what's wrong with my post? (I'll edit it to match) I'm pretty sure that HLS is reach for anyone with my LSAT and softs.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:31 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
chimp wrote:
Aside from not adhering to the format suggested in the OP, what's wrong with my post? (I'll edit it to match) I'm pretty sure that HLS is reach for anyone with my LSAT and softs.
No, it isn't. This thread has been continually degraded by posters like you and the other guy who is URM with a 177/3.98 who said Yale was a reach.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:34 pm

dpk711 wrote:No, it isn't. This thread has been continually degraded by posters like you and the other guy who is URM with a 177/3.98 who said Yale was a reach.
Precisely.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:23 pm

dpk711 wrote:
The Gentleman wrote: I'm pretty sure that HLS is reach for anyone with my LSAT and softs.
No, it isn't.
Yes it is. Don't be such a shithead prescriptivist and try to impose your definition of "reach" on other people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
The Gentleman wrote: I'm pretty sure that HLS is reach for anyone with my LSAT and softs.
No, it isn't.
Yes it is. Don't be such a shithead prescriptivist and try to impose your definition of "reach" on other people.
No it isn't. Don't be stupid.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
No, it isn't.
How is having a 25th percentile LSAT score and a GPA above the 75th percentile for a particular school a reach? I'm not imposing anything, just objectively looking at numbers.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:28 pm

chimp wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
No, it isn't.
No it isn't. Don't be stupid.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Image
Classy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:30 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
No, it isn't.
How is having a 25th percentile LSAT score and a GPA above the 75th percentile for a particular school a reach? I'm not imposing anything, just objectively looking at numbers.
Looking objectively at someone who's a 75/25 split, you'd probably say that they have a chance but it's still unlikely. That sounds like an acceptable definition of a "reach" for me. The thread isn't called "I made it into my "HAIL MARY" no chance in Hell".

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote: Looking objectively at someone who's a 75/25 split, you'd probably say that they have a chance but it's still unlikely. That sounds like an acceptable definition of a "reach" for me. The thread isn't called "I made it into my "HAIL MARY" no chance in Hell".
A 75/25 split should be objectively called a "target" not a reach.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon May 23, 2011 6:36 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: Looking objectively at someone who's a 75/25 split, you'd probably say that they have a chance but it's still unlikely. That sounds like an acceptable definition of a "reach" for me. The thread isn't called "I made it into my "HAIL MARY" no chance in Hell".
Honestly....harvard and yale are crapshoots even with 4.0/171. I understand the "75/25 should be a target" argument but HLS and YLS don't have normal criteria. I'd say 4.0/171 into HLS isn't super surprising but it wouldn't be surprising if the person with avg softs didn't get in with those numbers. The fact that it's not surprising if he/she didn't get in can qualify HLS to be a reach for this particular person.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 pm

dpk711 wrote:
You really think there's an objective definition? lololol

Since reasonable people can disagree about what exactly constitutes a "reach" (which has been my whole point), it's a shithead move to yell at people ITT just because they don't align with your definition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

A 98th percentile LSAT score and a 4.0 is not a reach anywhere.

Edit: So anyone who got into HYS can post in this thread no matter what? This thread should be locked.
Last edited by 071816 on Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 pm

chimp wrote:A 98th percentile LSAT score and a 4.0 is not a reach anywhere.
If you boldly assert it enough then it becomes true! Keep it up, champ.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
I will. People like you make this thread retarded.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:41 pm

chimp wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
chimp wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
We get it. You know how to post a gif.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Gotti wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Honestly....harvard and yale are crapshoots even with 4.0/171. I understand the "75/25 should be a target" argument but HLS and YLS don't have normal criteria. I'd say 4.0/171 into HLS isn't super surprising but it wouldn't be surprising if the person with avg softs didn't get in with those numbers. The fact that it's not surprising if he/she didn't get in can qualify HLS to be a reach for this particular person.
So you're saying that since a 180/4.0 is a crapshoot for Yale (meaning that they have an approximately 50/50 chance for acceptance) that an applicant with a perfect LSAT score and an immaculate GPA should consider Yale a reach school? Just ridiculous.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:47 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
So you're saying that since a 180/4.0 is a crapshoot for Yale (meaning that they have an approximately 50/50 chance for acceptance) that an applicant with a perfect LSAT score and an immaculate GPA should consider Yale a reach school? Just ridiculous.

Gonna have to do better than that.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Edit: So anyone who got into HYS can post in this thread no matter what? This thread should be locked.
Why the hate? ): No one is a shoo-in at HYS, and this thread exists to give congratulations to people who are happy about where they got in...just because people who have good stats and got into HYS are posting in here you think the thread should be locked? :? Yes, maybe their acceptance doesn't fit your definition of a reach, but all you have to do is tell them congrats, that they have great stats and were definitely going to get in, and then move on.

People shouldn't be calling others idiots or motioning for a thread-lock over something like this: the point of this thread is not to exclude people who got in with good numbers, but to provide a place for people who didn't expect to get in where they did to celebrate.

/mytwocents.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”