I made it into my "REACH" Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
icouldbuyu

Bronze

Re: I made it into my "REACH"

Post by icouldbuyu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:45 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Accepted: UVA
GPA: 3.88
LSAT: 167
Non-URM
Notes: My PS & DS got me in
Did you ED
Yes

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
No way!? Congrats! Are you an URM/Do you mind me asking what school you were accepted to? Hearing that you got in to a school that you were at the 25% for both LSAT/GPA gives me a little more hope for the school I ED to :).
No-not URM. I was at 25% for LSAT, but below 25% for GPA. I'd rather not say which school because this is "Top Law Schools" and this isn't a "Top Law School." But I'm not flaming and that's a fact. It's a solid school for "me" based on my LSAT/GPA. :wink:
:shock: Big kudos then. Its really, really impressive.
I appreciate that. It's not my choice school, but based upon their 25%-75% stats, then yes than I suppose I'm a reach. Hoping for other "reaches" then... :o

Edit: To be fair, LS Predictor gave this school a "Consider" for me. So...is this really a reach? And if so, should people consider anything lower than "admit" or "strong consider" when applying?[/quote]

Consider on LSN is definitely a reach.[/quote]

Did not know that. Now I'm feeling bad about the rest I applied to... :roll:

I remember reading a thread (I think I made it months ago) about LS Predictor and someone told me that they got into schools that LS Predictor said flat out "Deny" and they were rejected from schools that LS Predictor said "Consider." Hmm...

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:10 pm

That is really impressive regardless of the school rank. Seriously, congrats!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:22 pm

"Consider" on LSP is a reach?? Then I guess I've been accepted to 4 "reaches".. I considered them targets though haha.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 pm

i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 pm

northwood wrote:i say weak consider or deny on lsp= reach.
So regardless of the fact that I am below median for both LSAT and GPA, the fact that LSP has me at "consider" this school is a target?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:57 pm

+1

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm

lalalawya wrote:
So regardless of the fact that I am below median for both LSAT and GPA, the fact that LSP has me at "consider" this school is a target?
Not necessarily. What I said is that the schools I've been accepted to were "consider" but I considered them "targets".
Surely, there are a few schools I am "consider" at that are definitly reaches for me, but Ragged's comment above (assuming he meant LSP and not LSN) seems inaccurate for me.

LSP is a crap shoot anyways, really. They pretty much put me at "consider" 90% of the places I'm applying. The other 10% is DENY haha. Now, THOSE are definitly reaches :D

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 pm

being below both medians= reach( but it depends on how far below the medians you are- that should be left up to you if you want to consider it a reach or target)
weak consider, or deny= reach
consider less than 50%= reach

below both 25%= uuber reach

applying to a "black box " school= flip a coin( no one really knows, so they get their own special category)

hope this helps

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:53 pm

northwood wrote:being below both medians= reach( but it depends on how far below the medians you are- that should be left up to you if you want to consider it a reach or target)

applying to a "black box " school= flip a coin( no one really knows, so they get their own special category)

hope this helps
It does!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:37 am

northwood wrote:being below both medians= reach( but it depends on how far below the medians you are- that should be left up to you if you want to consider it a reach or target)

hope this helps
Here's my question: If being below median (25%-75% range) makes the school a reach, then what about the 25% (1 out of 4) that are getting in? All URMs?

I appreciate the praise. I didn't list my acceptance on here because I'm a bit embarrassed of the schools I'm applying to, compared to those of other TLS forum members. But yes, to me it's a huge deal and makes me feel great. :)

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 am

reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 am

northwood wrote:reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!
So then 25% of people in law school are reaches? (No flame attempt-srs question)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:45 am

northwood wrote:reaches get in sometimes. How and why is up to the individual admissions team. Maybe they are URM, maybe they had some amazing softs, maybe someone just had a good feeling about them and decided to take a chance. The Reaches that do get in are Optimistic booster shots for all fellow reaches. they keep the belief and dream alive!
Adcomms let in a few reaches every year then make sure to spread stories about them so more people will apply. True story.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
So then 25% of people in law school are reaches? (No flame attempt-srs question)

People below 25th percentile on one stat who get in usually are above median/75th on the other stat, so it depends on your definition of a reach. Some schools are known to take splitter in which case being below 25th GPA and above 75th LSAT makes it a target of sorts, i.e NU, CCN, other favor more even candidates HYSBV.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:34 am

Ragged wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

People below 25th percentile on one stat who get in usually are above median/75th on the other stat, so it depends on your definition of a reach. Some schools are known to take splitter in which case being below 25th GPA and above 75th LSAT makes it a target of sorts, i.e NU, CCN, other favor more even candidates HYSBV.
I'm below the 25% on most of my applied schools (SRS). I'll have to keep people updated on how many I get in to. I have nothing to lose by doing so, especially since I'm not naming the schools.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:39 am

dont think LSP is a good indicator for this-- everyone knows it gets messed up
LSP says I'm an 'admit' everywhere and then 'strong consider' for Yale.... I'll be posting on this thread for sure if I get into Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford or Yale

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:53 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:dont think LSP is a good indicator for this-- everyone knows it gets messed up
LSP says I'm an 'admit' everywhere and then 'strong consider' for Yale.... I'll be posting on this thread for sure if I get into Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford or Yale
As a URM you are probably a lock all of the above except for YS.

Also, I like your new avatar. But careful with that, you don't want to end up like eit.

balzern

Bronze

Post by balzern » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Technically I was not accepted to W&L but I threw an app at them because it was free. 3.48 and 153 for me and I was WL.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm

This makes sense, but at the same time, the only weak considers I have on LSP are Stanford and Michigan…but I consider the entire T14 a reach because of my LSAT (164/3.95 non-URM).

People on here were like omg you have noooo chance at Boalt but it’s a “consider” on LSP for me. But if I got into Boalt, I’d post on here lol

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:dont think LSP is a good indicator for this-- everyone knows it gets messed up
LSP does not get messed up, for the average applicant LSP is a pretty good indication of how a cycle is going to play out.

LSP is not as accurate for splitters or urms. If you fall into one, or both, of those categories then LSP is not going to be as accurate for you as it is for the average applicant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:01 pm

LSP is inaccurate now. NYU's 75% LSAT is now 175, not 173, and the medians for GPA and LSAT are up for most schools, meaning everyone's percentile on LSP is 5-10% lower at least.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:06 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:LSP is inaccurate now. NYU's 75% LSAT is now 175, not 173, and the medians for GPA and LSAT are up for most schools, meaning everyone's percentile on LSP is 5-10% lower at least.
The numbers are a bit outdated and yes the GPA and LSAT numbers for most schools are up (some more than others, looking at you NYU) but I still think it will be a pretty accurate predictor for most applicants at most schools this cycle.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:LSP is inaccurate now. NYU's 75% LSAT is now 175, not 173, and the medians for GPA and LSAT are up for most schools, meaning everyone's percentile on LSP is 5-10% lower at least.
The numbers are a bit outdated and yes the GPA and LSAT numbers for most schools are up (some more than others, looking at you NYU) but I still think it will be a pretty accurate predictor for most applicants at most schools this cycle.
I wonder if LSP's 25/median/75 are calculated from LSP date, not US News published data.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Gotti wrote:

This makes sense, but at the same time, the only weak considers I have on LSP are Stanford and Michigan…but I consider the entire T14 a reach because of my LSAT (164/3.95 non-URM).

People on here were like omg you have noooo chance at Boalt but it’s a “consider” on LSP for me. But if I got into Boalt, I’d post on here lol
There is always a chance---though at Boalt unless you have something AMAZING (former mayor, doctor, peace corps, and legacy) you are prolly at about a 1% chance....still worth a shot though if thats your dream.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”