In at Chicago!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ranovr32

Re: In at Chicago!

Postby ranovr32 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Kronk wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Has anyone who e-mailed Karla Vargas lately received a reply?

You mean just in general, or on a specific topic? I emailed her last thursday and got a reply the same day.

I just emailed her about an hour ago hopefully I hear back soon. I really want to go to Chicago and this was my last ditch effort to get a little more aid so as not to be completely crippled by debt. If I am successful I will only be mostly crippled by debt hahahaha Gotta love 67k on law school coa.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Kronk wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Has anyone who e-mailed Karla Vargas lately received a reply?

You mean just in general, or on a specific topic? I emailed her last thursday and got a reply the same day.

I e-mailed her Thursday as well, and I haven't received a response yet. :( I'm getting anxious.

Patience, grasshopper.

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:11 pm

In at Chicago with $75K aid offer!

Soooo happy!

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Congrats baller

You going to join us?

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 pm

cflames7 wrote:In at Chicago with $75K aid offer!

Soooo happy!

Wow that rocks. When did you find out?

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
cflames7 wrote:In at Chicago with $75K aid offer!

Soooo happy!

Wow that rocks. When did you find out?

Thanks!

I found out via email the same time as the bulk of aid offers went out.

I just got back from SE Asia... and unfortunately posting on TLS wasn't on my "to do" list while travelling.

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 pm

ranovr32 wrote:Congrats baller

You going to join us?

Haha, thanks!

I am definitely leaning towards Chicago. I also have offers from CLS and NYU, but no money from them.

Only schools that could pull me away from Chicago would be Harvard and Stanford. I am still waiting on both. But the 75K is still very very attractive, and I love Chicago too.

Any thoughts on Chicago with $ vs NYU or Columbia?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:57 pm

cflames7 wrote:

You going to join us?

Haha, thanks!

I am definitely leaning towards Chicago. I also have offers from CLS and NYU, but no money from them.

Only schools that could pull me away from Chicago would be Harvard and Stanford. I am still waiting on both. But the 75K is still very very attractive, and I love Chicago too.

This is coming from the bottom of my heart (especially because I was rejected CLS ED)
F Columbia and go to Chicago

On a serious note, small class size will definitely improve your Big Law chances if admitted, same thing with clerkships

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 am

ranovr32 wrote:
cflames7 wrote:

You going to join us?

Haha, thanks!

This is coming from the bottom of my heart (especially because I was rejected CLS ED)

On a serious note, small class size will definitely improve your Big Law chances if admitted, same thing with clerkships

Absolutely not. CLS puts a larger percentage than Chicago despite the difference in class size.

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 am

johnstuartmill wrote:I'm also looking to negotiate money from UChicago. I was very upset to learn last week that, although I have basically no money, and although my parents wouldn't be able to chip in more than a few thousand dollars a year even IF they were supporting me (which they aren't), I'm getting NO need-based aid. This will essentially preclude me from going to law school at UChicago, because I don't plan to go into private practice, which is the only way I'd be able to pay off my loans easily.

Unfortunately, I don't have a very strong bargaining position with UChicago, because I applied ED and my GPA is low. I only applied ED, though, because of the prospect of need-based aid that the school advertised. I've since come to the conclusion, through my experience and the experience of other applicants in similar situations, that need-based aid does not actually exist at UChicago Law. It seems, then, that I could credibly threaten to publicize the school's apparent duplicity, in addition to threatening to withdraw my application so that I can apply to other schools next year (I like my odds at NYU and Columbia), which would hurt their yield.

What do you guys think?

I feel ya brother :(

I too applied ED and got whole lot of nothing in terms of aid.

It seems we (those of us who applied ED) were doomed from the start. According to LSN no one who applied ED got any money. I was never expecting more than 5k/year, but the fact I got nothing irks me a little. I thought for sure I would get something given that I have two dependents, zero assets, and unemployed parents; however, I certainly wasn’t depending on getting money. I am still stoked about attending Chicago, and I have no regrets about applying ED.

I would probably feel different if I were the guy with the 171/3.83. :shock:

I guess the lesson here is that ED truly does equal paying sticker.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 am

Kronk wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:
cflames7 wrote:

You going to join us?

Haha, thanks!

Absolutely not. CLS puts a larger percentage than Chicago despite the difference in class size.

I like to rely on the stats on this site as well, but remember that the V100 will have some pro NYC bias, which may help Columbia (or maybe not).

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Kronk wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:
cflames7 wrote:

You going to join us?

Haha, thanks!

Yeah I know in terms of firm placement, but overall prestigious jobs in general (academia and clerkships included) I feel like Chicago would be a pretty safe bet. I really think Columbia has the strongest showing in firm placement, as according to the NALP as far as the NLJ 250 are concerned. But I mean I feel safer knowing that as many recruiters come to Chicago, but we have half the amount of students. Plus Columbia kids pretty much stick to NY, I like the fact that a pretty decent portion of us won't want anything to do with the NY market.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Whatisthis wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:I'm also looking to negotiate money from UChicago. I was very upset to learn last week that, although I have basically no money, and although my parents wouldn't be able to chip in more than a few thousand dollars a year even IF they were supporting me (which they aren't), I'm getting NO need-based aid. This will essentially preclude me from going to law school at UChicago, because I don't plan to go into private practice, which is the only way I'd be able to pay off my loans easily.

Unfortunately, I don't have a very strong bargaining position with UChicago, because I applied ED and my GPA is low. I only applied ED, though, because of the prospect of need-based aid that the school advertised. I've since come to the conclusion, through my experience and the experience of other applicants in similar situations, that need-based aid does not actually exist at UChicago Law. It seems, then, that I could credibly threaten to publicize the school's apparent duplicity, in addition to threatening to withdraw my application so that I can apply to other schools next year (I like my odds at NYU and Columbia), which would hurt their yield.

What do you guys think?

It seems we (those of us who applied ED) were doomed from the start. According to LSN no one who applied ED got any money. I was never expecting more than 5k/year, but the fact I got nothing irks me a little. I thought for sure I would get something given that I have two dependents, zero assets, and unemployed parents; however, I certainly wasn’t depending on getting money. I am still stoked about attending Chicago, and I have no regrets about applying ED.

I mean they tell you flat out, don't apply ed if financial aid is going to be a factor for you. I don't understand why you think you would get anything, I know it sux that you have the dependent thing going for you but, its not like they are going to give people money when they are obligated to go regardless.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 pm

ranovr32 wrote:I mean they tell you flat out, don't apply ed if financial aid is going to be a factor for you.

The schools say this?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:I mean they tell you flat out, don't apply ed if financial aid is going to be a factor for you.

The schools say this?

Every ED section on a schools website mentions this that I considered applying too.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

From UChicago's website:

Do Early Decision candidates receive financial aid?

All admitted students, including students admitted through the Early Decision program, will be considered for scholarships. Early Decision candidates may, of course, apply for student loans.

Just sayin'.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:27 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:From UChicago's website:

All admitted students, including students admitted through the Early Decision program, will be considered for scholarships. Early Decision candidates may, of course, apply for student loans.

Just sayin'.

Are we still on this? Bro, you're either dumb, naive, or (worse) both. Seriously, EVERYBODY knows that ed candidates get fucked w/r/t finaid. If you didn't, that's on you - not them

You have choices though:

1. Stop bitching and bite the bullet.

2. Withdraw and reapply.

3. Attempt to expose them, watch as they don't care, and return to 1 or 2.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm electing to bite the bullet, miamiman, thanks. I'm just setting the record straight where there was apparently some confusion.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 am

johnstuartmill wrote:From UChicago's website:

Just sayin'.

Obviously they aren't going to say "if your applying ed and get in we aren't giving you anything!" lol. But I can specifically quote Columbia saying on their website taht if financial aid is going to be paramount that ed shouldn't be one of your options. I only assumed something like that was on Chicago's website, I am pretty sure Michigan's website says the same thing. I know everyone is harping on you man sorry, it is just common knowledge though.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 am

ranovr32 wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:

What do you guys think?

I mean they tell you flat out, don't apply ed if financial aid is going to be a factor for you. I don't understand why you think you would get anything, I know it sux that you have the dependent thing going for you but, its not like they are going to give people money when they are obligated to go regardless.

I never said I was depending on getting money (if I were, I wouldn't apply ED). It's just given my situation, I thought I would I get something in the way of need based aid. I never thought it would be anything substantial. The only thing I find annoying is the fact that as an ED applicant I shouldn't have even bothered filling out that god awful need access form.

I really can't complain and I certainly do not feel I am entitled to money from Chicago. I think ED gave me a boost in the admissions process and it was definitely worth it for me.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Does anyone think it is worth to find a a nice building that is cheaper and closer to the school then Regents? Regents looks awesome but I am really not into the whole GLOBO gym feel they give me, WE ARE THE BEST, but that could just be me.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

ranovr32 wrote:Does anyone think it is worth to find a a nice building that is cheaper and closer to the school then Regents? Regents looks awesome but I am really not into the whole GLOBO gym feel they give me, WE ARE THE BEST, but that could just be me.

There is always living in university housing.

TXDeac

Postby TXDeac » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 pm

I think the big draw to Regent's is that it is the de facto social hub of 1L's, though a current student could probably clarify here. Beyond that, it has a doorman, a gym, a close grocery store, and is on a bus route that goes to campus. That's all I've really gathered.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 pm

my cousin went to chicago law and lived in an apartment in hyde park and later downtown/northside. from what I saw when I visited there are tons of nice small apartment buildings close to campus filled with students.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:15 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:my cousin went to chicago law and lived in an apartment in hyde park and later downtown/northside. from what I saw when I visited there are tons of nice small apartment buildings close to campus filled with students.

This is what I am looking for.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”