In at Chicago!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
johnstuartmill

Re: In at Chicago!

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm

I just can't believe that having done well scholastically doesn't guarantee me future success. What are you going to tell me next? Santa Claus isn't real? God doesn't exist?

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm

johnstuartmill wrote: Santa Claus isn't real? God doesn't exist?

I'm atheist, bro. wrong guy to ask.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm

just realized that the financial aid complaining/general uchicago discussion has been going on here instead of the class of 2013 thread.

add me to the list of people who are bitching. that no aid email sucked.

MeasuredOptimism

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Aaaaand, just to add insult to injury, Chicago has just re-sent the "no-aid" email with the adding mistake corrected on the bottom...

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:35 pm

NO AID FOR YOU

WAIT

YEAH NO AID FOR YOU

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:41 pm

ITT: People whining about having to pay sticker at a T6 law school.

Please, someone cue the world's smallest violin.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:52 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:NO AID FOR YOU

WAIT

YEAH NO AID FOR YOU

hahahahaaa.

yeah.

not gonna lie, i did scan it hoping for the mistake to be... grant $$$. no such luck.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:ITT: People whining about having to pay sticker at a T6 law school.

Please, someone cue the world's smallest violin.

Yeah, I don't mean to sound entitled. I'm just really scared, you know? And if I act like a douche as a result of my vulnerability, I apologize.

The human race, we are big, big dicks
We fuck holes in the world and fuck everybody else
And we fuck because we are lonely
We fuck, because we are lonely.

rg5020

Postby rg5020 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:17 pm

[/quote]
Apparently participating heavily in the confirmation hearings of a supreme court justice doesn't make make me interesting enough to get any money from chicago.[/quote]

Seriously? You've been on the Hill for two years and you call yourself a "senatorial aide" who participated "heavily" in the confirmation hearings? Don't kid yourself into thinking you're anything more than an LC who does legwork for the lawyers on committee. That's great you got into Harvard and Stanford, but it's obvious you've got a problem with perspective.

stopscreaming

Postby stopscreaming » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Zilch. :cry:

I don't suppose there's any hope for trying to leverage a full tuition from a t-20 school right? I suppose you would need a Darrow or something.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:18 pm

I asked them to reconsider my merit aid. I should have a decision by early next week according to Karla Vargas. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Ernst Cassier

Postby Ernst Cassier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:18 pm

rg5020 wrote:

Apparently participating heavily in the confirmation hearings of a supreme court justice doesn't make make me interesting enough to get any money from chicago.[/quote]

Seriously? You've been on the Hill for two years and you call yourself a "senatorial aide" who participated "heavily" in the confirmation hearings? Don't kid yourself into thinking you're anything more than an LC who does legwork for the lawyers on committee. That's great you got into Harvard and Stanford, but it's obvious you've got a problem with perspective.[/quote]

I've been on the hill for three and a half years. 2.5 in congressman's office and 1 in senator's office after working for 5 years in the district office of congressman. I worked closely with the senator's staff for several years while with the rep's office and when I transitioned to the senatorial office I was given a very senior role as a policy advisor (I guess I'm the third highest aid, 12 people working directly under me and am one of 4 aids who conducts extensive policy consultation sessions with senator for several hours most days. with regards to confirmation hearings, the senator I work for played a relatively prominent role in the confirmation process and I was the aide tasked with managing his work in the confirmation process including liaising with committee lawyers and (while this task was mostly covered by another aide) the occasional liaising with senate leadership and white house aides. so yea, i came off as an ass here maybe and am clearly something of a braggart but my senate work is legit.
how did I get these jobs? well, the congressman I first worked for was young and in an early term so his staff wasn't that well established making it not so difficult for an undergrad aide to get decent access and professors I worked with as an undergrad happened to be pretty involved with congressional policy consulting and some research I did with two of them managed to actually have a pretty big impact in some congressional offices a few years back. but anyways, you'd be surprised how many 25 year olds on the hill are in some pretty serious and senior positions. see 'in the loop', scary but true.

Core

Postby Core » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Ernst Cassier wrote:
rg5020 wrote:

Apparently participating heavily in the confirmation hearings of a supreme court justice doesn't make make me interesting enough to get any money from chicago.

Seriously? You've been on the Hill for two years and you call yourself a "senatorial aide" who participated "heavily" in the confirmation hearings? Don't kid yourself into thinking you're anything more than an LC who does legwork for the lawyers on committee. That's great you got into Harvard and Stanford, but it's obvious you've got a problem with perspective.

I've been on the hill for three and a half years. 2.5 in congressman's office and 1 in senator's office after working for 5 years in the district office of congressman. I worked closely with the senator's staff for several years while with the rep's office and when I transitioned to the senatorial office I was given a very senior role as a policy advisor (I guess I'm the third highest aid, 12 people working directly under me and am one of 4 aids who conducts extensive policy consultation sessions with senator for several hours most days. with regards to confirmation hearings, the senator I work for played a relatively prominent role in the confirmation process and I was the aide tasked with managing his work in the confirmation process including liaising with committee lawyers and (while this task was mostly covered by another aide) the occasional liaising with senate leadership and white house aides. so yea, i came off as an ass here maybe and am clearly something of a braggart but my senate work is legit.
how did I get these jobs? well, the congressman I first worked for was young and in an early term so his staff wasn't that well established making it not so difficult for an undergrad aide to get decent access and professors I worked with as an undergrad happened to be pretty involved with congressional policy consulting and some research I did with two of them managed to actually have a pretty big impact in some congressional offices a few years back. but anyways, you'd be surprised how many 25 year olds on the hill are in some pretty serious and senior positions. see 'in the loop', scary but true.

This sounds awesome. What makes you want to go to LS?

Ernst Cassier

Postby Ernst Cassier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Core wrote:
Ernst Cassier wrote:
rg5020 wrote:

Apparently participating heavily in the confirmation hearings of a supreme court justice doesn't make make me interesting enough to get any money from chicago.

I love my job. Want to know the best part about it? It lets me get a really up close view of a whole lot of even better jobs that require a JD.
I don't like the whole idea that going to law school is something you do when you can't think of better ideas or when your career is stalled. It costs a ton of money and is something I held off on until I really had a clear vision of what a JD would bring to me professionally. I love my job and likely could progress quite a bit professionally without going to law school. However, the jobs I could progress into interest me less than some JD jobs I've encountered.
I'm surprised nobody has guessed what young congressman I could have worked for (actually closer to 4 years in district office now that I think of it) while an undergrad at Chicago before having to change jobs a year ago.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 pm

lack of aid offer effected by not submitting financial aid forms?

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:lack of aid offer effected by not submitting financial aid forms?

no, i didn't submit mine. sorry :(

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 am

Ernst Cassier wrote:
Core wrote:
Ernst Cassier wrote:
rg5020 wrote:

I love my job. Want to know the best part about it? It lets me get a really up close view of a whole lot of even better jobs that require a JD.
I don't like the whole idea that going to law school is something you do when you can't think of better ideas or when your career is stalled. It costs a ton of money and is something I held off on until I really had a clear vision of what a JD would bring to me professionally. I love my job and likely could progress quite a bit professionally without going to law school. However, the jobs I could progress into interest me less than some JD jobs I've encountered.
I'm surprised nobody has guessed what young congressman I could have worked for (actually closer to 4 years in district office now that I think of it) while an undergrad at Chicago before having to change jobs a year ago.

the fact that Chicago didn't give you $$ is ridiculous dude... Do they not know who you are?!? They must not know who you are

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:28 am

Omg. You sound like a dbag. Plz stay on the hill and spare us your bullshit

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:18 am

Not to derail the financial aid stuff, but I was perusing the website and decided to read a transcript of a Professor's address to 2Ls at the Midway Dinner. I thought this excerpt was pretty interesting:

The Midway Dinner is peculiar of course in part because it's the celebration of a midway point, rather than a beginning or an end, which are what we usually pause to recognize. This is a moment of transition for you, as you enter the final half of your time at the law school. And of course it is a time of transition for the law school itself, as well. The law school's moment of transition coincides almost perfectly with your own. You are thus the lucky class that will have the chance to experience half of your time here under the old regime, and half under the new. It's always tempting to look back at an old regime with a sense of nostalgia. But I don't think that's appropriate. To be very honest with you, many people thought that the old regime was overly rigid, excessively difficult, and not fully responsive to the realities of the modern legal education. Many students think that the new regime will be a major improvement. And they might very well be right. The new regime I'm speaking of is, of course, our new, two-tiered substantial writing requirement.

Anyone know more about this "transition" or the "substantial writing requirement"? Maybe this would be better served in a 1L thread, but I figured someone here might be able to shed some light on these remarks. At the very least, I thought some of you might find it interesting as well.

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:38 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
Anyone know more about this "transition" or the "substantial writing requirement"? Maybe this would be better served in a 1L thread, but I figured someone here might be able to shed some light on these remarks. At the very least, I thought some of you might find it interesting as well.

+1, I'd like to know more about this as well if anyone has info....

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:11 am

Last edited by jitsrenzo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 am

miamiman wrote:Omg. You sound like a dbag. Plz stay on the hill and spare us your bullshit

+1

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:16 am

Aspie?

JohnYuu

Postby JohnYuu » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:26 am

Hey check this site out: http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm#
It allows you to see recent crimes. There have been two separate shootings like one block away from the law school within the past coupe weeks (doesn't appear that anyone died, but still). There have also been tons of random less serious crimes. Can some current Chicago students or anyone from Chicago elaborate on exactly how bad it is and what boundaries should be drawn (for choosing apartments etc.). Also, does anyone know if we can get a concealed (or not) handgun permit? I'm thinking it would be pretty easy for a female law student.

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 am

JohnYuu wrote:Hey check this site out: http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm#
It allows you to see recent crimes. There have been two separate shootings like one block away from the law school within the past coupe weeks (doesn't appear that anyone died, but still). There have also been tons of random less serious crimes. Can some current Chicago students or anyone from Chicago elaborate on exactly how bad it is and what boundaries should be drawn (for choosing apartments etc.). Also, does anyone know if we can get a concealed (or not) handgun permit? I'm thinking it would be pretty easy for a female law student.

uhhhhhhhhhhh ok now im scared. i dont want to get shot!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”