In at Chicago!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
agentzer0

Re: In at Chicago!

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Ernst Cassier wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
Ernst Cassier wrote:Fuck them. I'm an alumnus. 3.64 gpa 176 lsat and some pretty damn fantastic softs, including extensive legal research work. yea, not only will I now be going to a higher ranked law school for sure but the university of chicago will now see exactly zero dollars ever in donations from me over the course of my career. Seriously very insulted and can't believe that would go out of their way to offend a potential double alumnus like that. It'd be one thing if I were a borderline admit who just squeeked in, but my numbers are easily auto-admit and my application was really well rounded. Honestly, they throw 60K at people with lower numbers and then send this ridiculous email to an alumnus. Is this university at all interested in fundraising. Don't they think a college and law school alumnus would like end up donating more back quite a bit more than some token 30k grant you throw at pretty much any medianish admit (hello! a 174/3.5 got 45k). I loved Chicago undergrad and would seriously have not thought twice of donating at least 5k a year if I was making big law money. A token grant to make me feel respected by the school would have been enough. but now with that candy ass letter "offering" me 180K of high interest loans the UofC can go fuck themselves. A college and law school alum who could afford to pay full undergrad tuition through parental resources and who didn't submit a financial aid form, doesn't that SCREAM "potential major future donor." fuck you chicago, seriously. now, not only will I not attend your law school (if you didn't want me why admit me and hurt your yield) but I also will give no donations based on my undergrad experience. well done.

also this is the greatest post of all time

No.

Not even on the unintentional comedy scale. Not even close.

yes, i must sound like a self-entitled prick. sure, but honestly, pretty much every single applicant with numbers in my general range on LSN got between 30 and 60K. So as a chicago alum with a very strong application I can't help but wonder what they were thinking. I wouldn't feel entitled if they were like Columbia and just giving money to HYS people, but they are giving money to almost everyone with numbers like mine except for me, a potential double alum.
Let's just throw a hypothetical out there for everyone who thinks being angry about not getting aid can't ever be justified. imagine you're a UofC alum and 9 other people (all non-alums) are admitted with the same numbers as yours and they all get 45K and you get 0. How would that not piss you off.

HOLY SHIT YOU ARE A REAL PERSON.

Well here's how I see this... if everyone with your numbers - and I mean everyone - got some good scholly $ EXCEPT for you... then you must really REALLY suck huh? Props to them for figuring it out. The fact that they are succeeding in screening out pricks like you is a huge plus for them in my book.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Online chat has started, with Karla Vargas taking questions. I'm trying very hard to not ask, "What the FUCK?"
Last edited by johnstuartmill on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ernst Cassier

Postby Ernst Cassier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:wait this person can't be real. I read this as sarcasm purposed for mocking the entitlement of previous posts. this can't be real... right? RIGHT??

sorry; seems to be

why is everyone so pious here. yea, i sounded self-entitled. I don't think people on the street should shower me with money and rose petals because of how wonderful I am but as an alum, senatorial aid, 176/3.64 and given the fact that nearly everyone with similar numbers got serious $ how can I not be pissed.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Ernst Cassier wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:wait this person can't be real. I read this as sarcasm purposed for mocking the entitlement of previous posts. this can't be real... right? RIGHT??

sorry; seems to be

why is everyone so pious here. yea, i sounded self-entitled. I don't think people on the street should shower me with money and rose petals because of how wonderful I am but as an alum, senatorial aid, 176/3.64 and given the fact that nearly everyone with similar numbers got serious $ how can I not be pissed.

YOU OBVIOUSLY SUCK. STFU.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Ernst Cassier wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

sorry; seems to be

Look, man, I feel for you. You probably had your heart set on something, and the numbers were totally in your favor. I would also be angry and disappointed, were I in your shoes.

But you threw a temper tantrum. On the internet. People are going to mock you. That is life.

but that's what I was doing with my sarcastic comment :? did you really think I was praising him and I thought it was a great post? haha

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm

maggiebre wrote:
Core wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Look y'all, no one 'deserves' a scholarship from a T6 school. All this talk of 'insult' and 'disgust' is pretty amazing.

There are legitimate complaints to be made with regard to Chicago's financial aid process, and their obvious disconnect between the initial dates we'd receive offers and the dates we actually did. Crazy, ridiculous vitriol doesn't help you make this point. It makes you look like an asshole.

Honestly, anyone who says "fuck school X" just because you felt entitled to a scholarship (based wholly, it seems, on your numbers) really needs to check themselves.

You're right. It's just that it's especially frustrating to read through that e-mail to find out you're getting $0, so initial reactions are going to be pretty harsh.

Except some reactions (like yours) were understandable and not excessively bitter, while others are making themselves look like entitled pricks. Especially talking about people with "much worse" number than their own... clearly the adcomms really do look past numbers.

I expected nothing from Chicago...it's a T6 school. I definitely understand frustration, but not reactions like Mr. Chicago Alum's.

+1.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Is anyone saying anything about this during the chat?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:but that's what I was doing with my sarcastic comment

fair enough; the moment has passed. I declare a truce.

sure thang :)

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ernst Cassier

Postby Ernst Cassier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:10 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
Ernst Cassier wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

sorry; seems to be

well no, I'm either going to Harvard, Stanford, or Columbia and most likely wasn't going back to Chicago, even though I enjoyed undergrad. Still, I just was hoping to be treated with respect by the institution. guess not and now I won't make any donations. Apparently participating heavily in the confirmation hearings of a supreme court justice doesn't make make me interesting enough to get any money from chicago. Whatever, I still got into Harvard and Stanford with a 3.64 gpa so I can't have had a very bad application. anyways, good luck with that endowment campaign chicago.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Can someone let me know and pertinent information that comes from the chat today?

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Am I allowed to be bitter that Chicago apparently simply doesn't do need-based grants, even though they get people's hopes up by having them fill out a Need Access Form?
Last edited by johnstuartmill on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:12 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:Am I allowed to be bitter that Chicago apparently simply doesn't do need-based grants, even though they get people's hopes up about them by having them fill out a Need Access Form?

Yes, that is justified. It's pretty clear that need-based aid doesn't really exist.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Louis C.K., relevant as always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4DRcGJQo8

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:17 pm

maggiebre wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:Am I allowed to be bitter that Chicago apparently simply doesn't do need-based grants, even though they get people's hopes up about them by having them fill out a Need Access Form?

Yes, that is justified. It's pretty clear that need-based aid doesn't really exist.

And now it's too late for me to apply to other schools. Damn. As a theoretical exercise, though, I wonder if I could get out of my ED contract by pointing out that the possibility of need-based aid was a chimera.

alien d

Postby alien d » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Disappointing, but not wholly unexpected. This was pretty much the last thing I was waiting on, but I'm guessing it'll be a good week or so until that settles in and I stop checking my e-mail every 30 minutes.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:20 pm

anyone on the chat??

echoi

Postby echoi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:20 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:Am I allowed to be bitter that Chicago apparently simply doesn't do need-based grants, even though they get people's hopes up by having them fill out a Need Access Form?

yes. i didn't expect any merit-based aid (I also ED'ed w/ similar #s) but i am so disappointed right now that need seems to have been a non-factor.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:anyone on the chat??

I am.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Kronk wrote:

I am.

Any good information?

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Yes, Vargas is talking about how "no student received a no aid letter", and I'm in the back wondering if the mob counts as a charitable organization in her eyes.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:24 pm

She said five people haven't received letters yet at the beginning of the chat.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Ernst Cassier wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:
Ernst Cassier wrote:

well no, I'm either going to Harvard, Stanford, or Columbia and most likely wasn't going back to Chicago, even though I enjoyed undergrad. Still, I just was hoping to be treated with respect by the institution. guess not and now I won't make any donations. Apparently participating heavily in the confirmation hearings of a supreme court justice doesn't make make me interesting enough to get any money from chicago. Whatever, I still got into Harvard and Stanford with a 3.64 gpa so I can't have had a very bad application. anyways, good luck with that endowment campaign chicago.

ahh but I've touched a girl's boobs... so who's really the winner here? :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”