In at Chicago!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
captainkirk

Re: In at Chicago!

Postby captainkirk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:26 pm

hesitantstyle wrote:+1 NYU looking sweeter by the day.

that is exactly what I thought after reading the email..

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm

There's also a dead link (LinkRemoved) in the e-mail that's supposed to direct you to the Hormel Public Interest Program.

Man, I love Chicago, but their financial aid office is obviously in disarray. I bet Karla Vargas is gonna get an earful at the chat scheduled for a half-hour from now.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Ernst Cassier wrote:Fuck them. I'm an alumnus. 3.64 gpa 176 lsat and some pretty damn fantastic softs, including extensive legal research work. yea, not only will I now be going to a higher ranked law school for sure but the university of chicago will now see exactly zero dollars ever in donations from me over the course of my career. Seriously very insulted and can't believe that would go out of their way to offend a potential double alumnus like that. It'd be one thing if I were a borderline admit who just squeeked in, but my numbers are easily auto-admit and my application was really well rounded. Honestly, they throw 60K at people with lower numbers and then send this ridiculous email to an alumnus. Is this university at all interested in fundraising. Don't they think a college and law school alumnus would like end up donating more back quite a bit more than some token 30k grant you throw at pretty much any medianish admit (hello! a 174/3.5 got 45k). I loved Chicago undergrad and would seriously have not thought twice of donating at least 5k a year if I was making big law money. A token grant to make me feel respected by the school would have been enough. but now with that candy ass letter "offering" me 180K of high interest loans the UofC can go fuck themselves. A college and law school alum who could afford to pay full undergrad tuition through parental resources and who didn't submit a financial aid form, doesn't that SCREAM "potential major future donor." fuck you chicago, seriously. now, not only will I not attend your law school (if you didn't want me why admit me and hurt your yield) but I also will give no donations based on my undergrad experience. well done.

looks like they made the right decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZDjnWtK1A

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:35 pm

So much for fixing their yield problems

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Also, why no apology for getting our aid letters two weeks after we were promised them? I didn't think they'd have the chutzpah to send out a late aid letter without some moolah attached. That combo cuts pretty deep.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:Also, why no apology for getting our aid letters twoweeks after we were promised them? I didn't think they'd have the chutzpah to send out a late aid letter with no award. That cuts pretty deep.

Yeah. Not sure they handled this whole process well at all...

I guess I wasn't expecting any merit money/ didn't feel any sense of entitlement but... zero in need $$$ + sloppy email + delayed response (like, twice, right)...

Sad. Chicago sounded so great.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Look y'all, no one 'deserves' a scholarship from a T6 school. All this talk of 'insult' and 'disgust' is pretty amazing.

There are legitimate complaints to be made with regard to Chicago's financial aid process, and their obvious disconnect between the initial dates we'd receive offers and the dates we actually did. Crazy, ridiculous vitriol doesn't help you make this point. It makes you look like an asshole.

Honestly, anyone who says "fuck school X" just because you felt entitled to a scholarship (based wholly, it seems, on your numbers) really needs to check themselves.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Ernst Cassier wrote:Fuck them. I'm an alumnus. 3.64 gpa 176 lsat and some pretty damn fantastic softs, including extensive legal research work. yea, not only will I now be going to a higher ranked law school for sure but the university of chicago will now see exactly zero dollars ever in donations from me over the course of my career. Seriously very insulted and can't believe that would go out of their way to offend a potential double alumnus like that. It'd be one thing if I were a borderline admit who just squeeked in, but my numbers are easily auto-admit and my application was really well rounded. Honestly, they throw 60K at people with lower numbers and then send this ridiculous email to an alumnus. Is this university at all interested in fundraising. Don't they think a college and law school alumnus would like end up donating more back quite a bit more than some token 30k grant you throw at pretty much any medianish admit (hello! a 174/3.5 got 45k). I loved Chicago undergrad and would seriously have not thought twice of donating at least 5k a year if I was making big law money. A token grant to make me feel respected by the school would have been enough. but now with that candy ass letter "offering" me 180K of high interest loans the UofC can go fuck themselves. A college and law school alum who could afford to pay full undergrad tuition through parental resources and who didn't submit a financial aid form, doesn't that SCREAM "potential major future donor." fuck you chicago, seriously. now, not only will I not attend your law school (if you didn't want me why admit me and hurt your yield) but I also will give no donations based on my undergrad experience. well done.

Outed

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:Look y'all, no one 'deserves' a scholarship from a T6 school. All this talk of 'insult' and 'disgust' is pretty amazing.

There are legitimate complaints to be made with regard to Chicago's financial aid process, and their obvious disconnect between the initial dates we'd receive offers and the dates we actually did. Crazy, ridiculous vitriol doesn't help you make this point. It makes you look like an asshole.

Honestly, anyone who says "fuck school X" just because you felt entitled to a scholarship (based wholly, it seems, on your numbers) really needs to check themselves.

This

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm

lol

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:42 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Look y'all, no one 'deserves' a scholarship from a T6 school. All this talk of 'insult' and 'disgust' is pretty amazing.

This

This

Core

Postby Core » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:44 pm

You're right. It's just that it's especially frustrating to read through that e-mail to find out you're getting $0, so initial reactions are going to be pretty harsh.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Ernst Cassier wrote: A college and law school alum who could afford to pay full undergrad tuition through parental resources and who didn't submit a financial aid form, doesn't that SCREAM "potential major future donor."

Sounds like you don't need the money, bruh.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Even as one of the $0 people, I definitely agree.

Please everyone keep in mind that not everyone is reacting like that dude who posted the ranting monologue above. A lot of us are just genuinely disappointed, but not in an "entitled/I deserved it" sort of way... just "Chicago sounded great, too bad I can't afford it and had to wait an extra two weeks to find out."

zaichka

Postby zaichka » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:46 pm

I withdrew about 4 minutes after reading that email. This is the sentence that bothered me most: "Chicago Law also supports public interest minded students during their law school years by offering generous funding to those who spend their summers engaged in qualifying public interest work over the summer."

Shouldn't they have two people glance at these communications to make sure that they're not grammatically painful?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:47 pm

people are just angry about not getting money and are blowing off steam. it's harmless and I'm sure that a lot of people are going to reconsider going to chicago after they cool off. :P

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 pm

also this is the greatest post of all time

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Listen to this, guys. Phil Collins'll make you feel better.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 pm

zaichka wrote:I withdrew about 4 minutes after reading that email. This is the sentence that bothered me most: "Chicago Law also supports public interest minded students during their law school years by offering generous funding to those who spend their summers engaged in qualifying public interest work over the summer."

Shouldn't they have two people glance at these communications to make sure that they're not grammatically painful?

Yeah. Harvard missed a comma in an e-mail they sent me and I withdrew.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:49 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:

destined for greatness this poster... greatness

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

No.

Not even on the unintentional comedy scale. Not even close.

:roll: wow

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:53 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:

people are just angry about not getting money and are blowing off steam. it's harmless and I'm sure that a lot of people are going to reconsider going to chicago after they cool off. :P

That's fair. My post isn't directed at the folks blowing off steam...more at the 1-2 seemingly hyper-entitled folks who are angry not just because they didn't get money, but because Chicago had the audacity to give some to folks with lower numbers.

Ernst Cassier

Postby Ernst Cassier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

No.

yes, i must sound like a self-entitled prick. sure, but honestly, pretty much every single applicant with numbers in my general range on LSN got between 30 and 60K. So as a chicago alum with a very strong application I can't help but wonder what they were thinking. I wouldn't feel entitled if they were like Columbia and just giving money to HYS people, but they are giving money to almost everyone with numbers like mine except for me, a potential double alum.
Let's just throw a hypothetical out there for everyone who thinks being angry about not getting aid can't ever be justified. imagine you're a UofC alum and 9 other people (all non-alums) are admitted with the same numbers as yours and they all get 45K and you get 0. How would that not piss you off.

I really still am just shocked. alum, 3.64, 176, RA to a law prof while an undergrad and current policy aid to a fairly high ranking us senator after 2 years with a congressman. nearly everyone else in the same ballpark got aid and i get some weird confusing letter. sure my rant was obnoxious but i can't see anyone in my position not being pissed off.
Last edited by Ernst Cassier on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

No.

wait this person can't be real. I read this as sarcasm purposed for mocking the entitlement of previous posts. this can't be real... right? RIGHT??

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:also this is the greatest post of all time

No.

:roll: wow

you have like seven posts. You might not be qualified to judge this.

and you 1) apparently don't understand hyperbole and 2) are being incredibly obnoxious

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”