In at Chicago! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Silver

Re: In at Chicago!

Post by Core » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:32 pm

TXDeac wrote:Did anyone else get an e-mail from a professor today? I got an e-mail from Saul Levrmore today regarding how I would fit in in his torts class. While I'm absolutely flattered that they seem so personalized about the admissions and wooing process, I'm also skeptical as to whether this e-mail was as personalized as it seems to be.

What say you guys?
I also received an e-mail, a few days ago, but from a different professor. It seemed like a template with my name and areas of interest plugged in.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 pm

I got an email from Professor Huq. He basically told me not to attend over NYU / Berkeley if I'm interested in PI. But I'm still pretty interested. Going to visit in three weeks.

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:47 am

I got the same email from Saul Levmore about torts, intellectual climate at Chicago.

+1 for Chicago getting the faculty in on the admissions wooing.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 am

Kronk wrote:I got an email from Professor Huq. He basically told me not to attend over NYU / Berkeley if I'm interested in PI. But I'm still pretty interested. Going to visit in three weeks.
no email from anyone for me either. but i like the honesty here?

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:55 am

Kronk wrote:I got an email from Professor Huq. He basically told me not to attend over NYU / Berkeley if I'm interested in PI. But I'm still pretty interested. Going to visit in three weeks.
True story?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jimmyd11011

New

Post by jimmyd11011 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 pm

are we all getting emails about our "financial aid packages" regardless of whether we're getting any scholarship money? As in they'll say, "here are our loan options"? I'm trying to figure out whether to expect an email either way

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:45 pm

protokurios wrote:
True story?
Yes, true. I don't know why I would make that up. I PMed the body of the email to another poster on this site but I don't feel comfortable posting it here. I will PM it to people if they're interested.

Also, I emailed another professor that is the head of their civil rights law department and is more racially-oriented as are my interests. I was very impressed by the fact that he gave me his home phone number and told me to call him today. I plan to call him tonight and talk to him about UofC PI.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Kronk wrote:
Yes, true. I don't know why I would make that up. I PMed the body of the email to another poster on this site but I don't feel comfortable posting it here. I will PM it to people if they're interested.

Also, I emailed another professor that is the head of their civil rights law department and is more racially-oriented as are my interests. I was very impressed by the fact that he gave me his home phone number and told me to call him today. I plan to call him tonight and talk to him about UofC PI.
Kronk, could you PM me the relevant parts of that email and maybe let me know what the prof says when you chat with him? I'm really interested in their answers about this. thanks!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Sent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:28 pm

tintin wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Kronk, could you PM me the relevant parts of that email and maybe let me know what the prof says when you chat with him? I'm really interested in their answers about this. thanks!
+1, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Got off the phone with Prof. Futterman. Pretty much convinced me Chicago is awesome. Number of details I am willing to PM to people.

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Kronk wrote:Got off the phone with Prof. Futterman. Pretty much convinced me Chicago is awesome. Number of details I am willing to PM to people.
very interested in what he had to say. would appreciate a PM, thanks!

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Kronk wrote:Got off the phone with Prof. Futterman. Pretty much convinced me Chicago is awesome. Number of details I am willing to PM to people.
I'd appreciate a PM! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:58 pm

echoi wrote:
very interested in what he had to say. would appreciate a PM, thanks!
I will just post it here:

This professor and I were mainly talking about public interest law (although I think that Chicago's record in every other area speaks for itself--biglaw/academia/clerkships, so no need to go further in that area).

This guy basically told me about how unique all their PI clinical programs are, his interests are pretty much mine exactly and it's the only clinical program that does that kind of law in the nation according to him. He runs one on civil rights, racial discrimination, and police brutality. He said his students this quarter got to argue against a full jury--from opening statements to examinations to closing statements--and in more than one case got to work on Supreme Court cases (though he said they weren't arguing before the SCOTUS, obviously, but that they "did everything but"). Everyone who is passing and wants to do a clinic gets the opportunity--though some have to wait until their third year.

There are fellowships and less competition for them because there are less PI people at Chicago, and the only place where Chicago really takes a hit in PI is internationally, which I have no interest in. He's also had offers at many other T14s to do their PI programs and wants to stay at Chicago because they are really strengthening their faculty and programs. A big part of it has just been how accessible the professors there are. I have been emailing three of them and they get back to me within the day (this guy gave me his home phone). I emailed Berk and NYU profs and they haven't responded in two weeks. I think that sort of proves the "Chicago professors care and are accessible" stereotype to some extent.

I might be able to answer other questions if you have them. Or you could probably email him and he'd talk to you, too.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:30 am

So, um, t-minus tomorrow to start seeing money offers? That'd be kind of fun :)

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:41 am

Kretzy wrote:So, um, t-minus tomorrow to start seeing money offers? That'd be kind of fun :)
OH plz plz plz.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 am

Kretzy wrote:So, um, t-minus tomorrow to start seeing money offers? That'd be kind of fun :)
Never bring up Chicago and money. It will only disappoint us. Tuesday I'd like a phone call from Faye Deal, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 am

Kronk wrote:
Never bring up Chicago and money. It will only disappoint us. Tuesday I'd like a phone call from Faye Deal, though.
I'm only faux-disappointed. I told myself I'd pay sticker for Chicago at the start of the cycle, and stick by that. Plus, them forcing me to do my FAFSA early got me a tax return on Feb. 3rd :)

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:02 am

Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:
I'm only faux-disappointed. I told myself I'd pay sticker for Chicago at the start of the cycle, and stick by that. Plus, them forcing me to do my FAFSA early got me a tax return on Feb. 3rd :)
You're considering UofC over Stanford?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 am

Kronk wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Kronk wrote:
You're considering UofC over Stanford?
I'm visiting UofC, Columbia and Boalt, in addition to SLS. I'm not seriously considering them, but I could be surprised and am trying to keep my mind open. 99 percent set on SLS, just trying to ease my mind...I only applied to 5 schools for undergrad, so having lots of attractive options is really strange to me.

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:22 am

Kronk wrote:
protokurios wrote:
True story?
Yes, true. I don't know why I would make that up.
It just seemed kind of strange that a Chicago professor would say something like that. That paired with your pic made it seem almost like Chicago trolling. Pretty cool how forthright and accessible the profs have been.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

choco39

New

Post by choco39 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 am

TXDeac wrote:Did anyone else get an e-mail from a professor today? I got an e-mail from Saul Levrmore today regarding how I would fit in in his torts class. While I'm absolutely flattered that they seem so personalized about the admissions and wooing process, I'm also skeptical as to whether this e-mail was as personalized as it seems to be.

What say you guys?
I got an email from a professor that attended my undergrad in the 60s, then went on to Chicago law. I was very cool and it seemed very personalized.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:34 am

So are we just going with financial aid will get here when it gets herer because any deadline that is set for decisions to go out is just absolutely wrong?

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm

I no longer trust anything chicago says regarding financial aid decisions. In the immortal words of president bush, "fool me once, shame on...shame on...you...fool me--you can't get fooled again."

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:31 pm

babaghanouj wrote:I no longer trust anything chicago says regarding financial aid decisions. In the immortal words of president bush, "fool me once, shame on...shame on...you...fool me--you can't get fooled again."
Exactly!!!! Wise words from a wise man!! :D HAHAHAHA I love you tubing that quote.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”